• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Zzoram

Terrordactyl said:
I guess it got an 8.5 in OXM. old?

OXM%20Review.jpg

There are no difficulty levels? Ugh.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
garath said:
Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading a dev quote that talks about the game auto-scaling difficulty. i.e. you are owning so it gets harder. I could be remembering wrong though (or remembering another game entirely).

Don't think so, but it scales with additional players like Diablo, you can easily wander outside your comfort zone for extra challenge, and new game+ scales everything up hugely in difficulty.

Hawkian said:
Don't think so, but it scales with additional players like Diablo, you can easily wander outside your comfort zone for extra challenge, and new game+ scales everything up hugely in difficulty.

I was about to post that New Game plus apparently cranks the difficulty up quite a bit.

In the Giantbomb quicklook Jeff said that there were a lot more enemies compared to when he was solo'ing.

poweld

modeps

Neo Member
Domino Theory said:
No one's missing out on Borderlands online co-op on my watch. Check PMs.

:lol thanks for that, but I meant my subscription to Game Informer! :D (give that sub to someone else who needs it)

modeps

Neo Member
Domino Theory said:
Oh shit.

Well thanks for being a good sport and not using the code. :)

There are plenty of other jokers around who don't have full time jobs that'd need it but your generosity is the tits. gg to you my friend.

Cahill

Banned
Holy shit! The dude in that first stream used a "certain" grenade that was just awesome!

Shot out all these trackers (looked like little missiles) when it exploded that hit the enemies and refilled his health

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That indeed sounds epic but nothing so far has topped the
teleporting (I think the game calls them 'longbow') grenades
for me.

garath

ahimothZero said:
the wait..... it is terrible...

It's worse knowing the PC version is another week. :(

I'm just going to have to stop following everything. Next week especially will be killer watching all the console guys play. Though I do want to see some higher level lilith and Brick

Giard

Where are the reviews for this one?
I've only seen the OXM one...but IMO they aren't exactly the best reviewers around.
Hoping to see more of them before tuesday.

MMaRsu

Eric WK said:
Yeah, I don't know what the hell MMaRsu is talking about. The street date is in three and a half days.

Well it comes out here on the 23d. I wasn't thinking about the US release date. I retract my dubious statements!

BRING ON BORDERLANDS :D

Cahill

Banned
Giard said:
Where are the reviews for this one?
I've only seen the OXM one...but IMO they aren't exactly the best reviewers around.
Hoping to see more of them before tuesday.

I don't know, but after watching the streams on and off all day I'm am more psyched than before. The difficulty seems appropriate and the worries about the AI are gone. The one thing I am a bit cautious of is enemy variety. Saw a lot of the same areas so hopefully it's not a issue either.

punkypine

if it doesnt autosave, cant you just dupe items?
1) 2 people enter room
2) person #1 drops super rare item
3) person #2 picks up super rare item
4) person #1 quits game, doesnt save
5) person #2 quits game, saves

and now both people have it

Artadius

punkypine said:
if it doesnt autosave, cant you just dupe items?
1) 2 people enter room
2) person #1 drops super rare item
3) person #2 picks up super rare item
4) person #1 quits game, doesnt save
5) person #2 quits game, saves

and now both people have it

If its anything like most other games like this, change in inventory is immediately updated on the character file. So without some hacking, no.

MMaRsu said:
Why not? Proof? The game has leaked for 360 already so..

Gearbox employees have been following and commenting on the streams? They clearly wouldn't do this with pirated shit, and multiple street date breaks are confirmed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But not for the PC version :p

EDIT: Right, even if dropping an item doesn't "autosave" in the sense that you can't just drop an item to save your stats and money and then pull the plug on your game, but that item's "exist" flag in your inventory will be saved. At least that's how I understand it.

Red

elrechazao said:
Gearbox employees have been following and commenting on the streams? They clearly wouldn't do this with pirated shit, and multiple street date breaks are confirmed.
Even if the streams were of pirated copies, wouldn't developer interaction build a community and increase interest for the game? After all, all those people watching are potential buyers.

MMaRsu

elrechazao said:

Didn't know this.

Red

I can confirm that the game is available on the streets, there's a place four blocks from me selling it right now :lol

(360/PS3, which is why I haven't jumped on it)

Shoogoo

jRPG said:
Zavvi shipped my order earlier today O_O;; Presumably due to postal strikes next week. Not bad for less than £30 for the 360 version.

SHIT MAN I CANT BREATH THIS IS TOO GOOD SORRY FOR THE CAPS

ARGH

Crunched said:
I can confirm that the game is available on the streets, there's a place four blocks from me selling it right now :lol

What chain? I've got stuff early from Kmart before, but I called the closest one and they don't have it

Red

Kestastrophe said:
What chain? I've got stuff early from Kmart before, but I called the closest one and they don't have it
Not a chain, it's an independent store. Place pretty reliably gets stock early and will sell it to regulars- it's how I got ODST a week early. I remember probably the biggest release they had early was Bioshock, by nearly two weeks. A friend of mine picked it up there and I waited in agony for Gamestop's release (had paid in full for the LE).

Anyway, no YMMV here or anything, it's just a single isolated place.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
A bunch of TXB folks are saying Best Buy's selling the game early. Both Best Buys near me (Santana Row and Sunnyvale BBs) said they have the game, but won't sell it until the 20th. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Some people on twitter are already level 20+.

Yep, 10 days til it unlocks on Steam. Totally awesome work all around fellas. siiiiiiiiiiiigh =P

ashism

Crunched said:

I can also confirm this. If you live in a major city with a port, check your local mom and pop shops.
I have the best luck in chinatown and a local independent store here.

grumble

Basileus777 said:
Diablo had difficulty levels.....

Borderlands has new game +, which might be similar to Diablo's post-game difficulties.

The real issue with Borderland's difficulty levels is that the game doesn't really have the complex skill management and gear manipulation to allow players to bend the game enough for them to be able to survive when enemies cause twice the relative damage and have twice the relative HP and are immune to elements. The game is not gear/skill focused enough to let people try to break the game in my opinion, so a Hell difficulty wouldn't fly.

It's a shooter with some Diablo 2 - lite stuff added in, not a first person Diablo 2. I'm hoping that'll be the case for the sequel.

Red

Maybe I should just suck it up and buy the 360 version too. I'm off work this weekend, got plenty of time to play.

ashism

TurtleSnatcher said:
Just got the Borderlands Strategy Guide..

Its 400 fricken pages.. lol
Let us know just how good it is. Good enough, and I will spend the money on it. 400 page strategy guide sounds like a fun coffee table book for the next month.

Artadius

Except it is like Diablo.

Diablo II:
Normal (Lvl 1 to 30 or thereabouts)
Nightmare (30-60 or thereabouts)
Hell (60-99)

Borderlands
New Game (1-35 or thereabouts)
New Game+ (35-50)

Not that hard to understand.

Only difference is that I don't know if you can go back to New Game in Borderlands once you've started New Game+

Top Bottom