• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Artadius said:
Except it is like Diablo.

Diablo II:
Normal (Lvl 1 to 30 or thereabouts)
Nightmare (30-60 or thereabouts)
Hell (60-99)

Borderlands
New Game (1-35 or thereabouts)
New Game+ (35-50)

Not that hard to understand.

Only difference is that I don't know if you can go back to New Game in Borderlands once you've started New Game+

You are really reaching here. That's not the same as scalable difficulty. Diablo had scalable difficulty, Borderlands doesn't.

Playing through New Game + with the enemies scaled to your level isn't necessarily any harder than it was in the first game because you've obviously levelled up at the same rate as the enemies.

Mass Effect for example has New Game + and scalable difficulty, which is in itself proof that they're not the same thing.

Borderlands devs heading out for midnight launches in Texas
So, Gearbox and 2K may not have the pull to grant Borderlands a nationwide mega midnight launch, but gosh-darn-it, they're gonna keep a couple GameStops open late on October 19! For those in the DFW (Dallas Fort Worth, holla!), the developers will be showing up to sign copies (at least "five guys with sharpies") -- and they'll bring some posters and T-shirts along, too.

* 2201 Preston Rd Plano, TX 75093-2306
* 6245 Rufe Snow Dr, Fort Worth, TX 76148-3321

The Plano location will have a "four-player LAN setup available to play starting around 9PM." A Gearbox representative tells us they'll "hopefully" have something set up at the Ft. Worth location as well.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/16/borderlands-devs-heading-out-for-midnight-launches-in-texas/

Spike

Canadians, check your EB stores as they do have the game in stock already. I saw them today, but I didn't ask how much it was selling for.

Artadius

Vercingetorix said:
You are really reaching here. That's not the same as scalable difficulty. Diablo had scalable difficulty, Borderlands doesn't.

Playing through New Game + with the enemies scaled to your level isn't necessarily any harder than it was in the first game because you've obviously levelled up at the same rate as the enemies.

Mass Effect for example has New Game + and scalable difficulty, which is in itself proof that they're not the same thing.

What are you talking about? Neither game has scaled enemy levels. They are static.

In Diablo II Andariel is ALWAYS level 12 in normal difficulty, no matter what your level is. She's always level 49 in Nightmare no matter what your level is. She's always 75 in Hell no matter what your level is. Fallen are always level 1 / 36/ 67 depending on difficulty no matter what your level is.

In Borderlands, Skag pups are always level 2 in New Game. In New Game+ they're always 34 or 35 (somewhere in there) no matter what level you are. Nine Toes will always be X level in New Game and Y level in New Game+ no matter what your level is.

None of the above examples will be any harder or any easier based solely on your level. They might be harder if you're lower level than them simply because of the mechanics of the game and they will certainly be easier the higher the level you are based on the mechanics of the game, nothing is being scaled.. there is no formula to adjust the monsters. Their statistics are static.

Went to my gamestop to make sure they would have it Tuesday morning and the guy said that they already had them, locked away in that drawer right over there (he even pointed to it). I hate him, teasing me like that. :(

I'm interested in this game, but all the videos seem to suggest it's a pretty fast and furious, adrenaline pumping 'squeeze the trigger and don't let go' kind of a game. Is there more variety to it then that? Some actual tactics or thinking involved? The RPG flavour is interesting. I just hope there's variety in the game. Or is it online/co-op heavy to the detriment of a single player campaign? Or is it too early to tell?

Slackbladder said:
I'm interested in this game, but all the videos seem to suggest it's a pretty fast and furious, adrenaline pumping 'squeeze the trigger and don't let go' kind of a game. Is there more variety to it then that? Some actual tactics or thinking involved? The RPG flavour is interesting. I just hope there's variety in the game. Or is it online/co-op heavy to the detriment of a single player campaign? Or is it too early to tell?
wait, there are games that don't involve shooting stuff?

fin

To get this on PS3 or 360. My real life friend is going to get it on PS3 but I got more fake friends than real on 360 that will be playing this...

PS3 players send me a FR if you're playing this,

GT Finjitzu

Having a thousand people watching you play the game before they get to and the developers directly assisting your progress so the game gets good publicity must feel pretty nice. Almost nice enough to give up co-op.

Eric WK said:

11t8j6p.gif

:lol

Brannon

Not only does this game have some of the best loot ever (BURNING SNIPER!), but it also has the best treasure chests of all time.

OF ALL FUCKING TIME. That is not an exaggeration.

This is an interesting way for the devs to counter the negative hype that's been building up over the last couple weeks. The average person shares a good experience with 4-7 other people. With the internet, the number of people reached could be exponentially higher. Positively influencing 500-1000 concurrent viewers for very little effort probably has a much better result than prohibitive advertising campaigns or even reviews. It's a really powerful technique for stirring up buzz. I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped out the game early hoping the street date would get broken.

Kingpen

I love me some loot whore games.... I'm definitely trading some stuff in to take advantage of some high trade values next week.

I was originally going to trade for Borderlands, then use it as a placeholder for Tekken the next week... I might just end up keeping it, if it is 'all that' with reviews.... But I'm knee deep in my first playthough with Dead Space right now, so we'll see...

Xevren

I'm really trying my hardest to stay away from the streams so I can go in and see everything fresh. Luckily I have Brutal Legend to play for the weekend.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Those grenades that explode into mini missiles that home and heal you are pretty awesome.
You can also get combo nades, so you can have explosive teleporting nade.

Hazaro said:
Those grenades that explode into mini missiles that home and heal you are pretty awesome.
You can also get combo nades, so you can have explosive teleporting nade.

Yeah very cool. that pistol he just got looks amazing.

Eric WK

Sebulon3k said:
My AI concerns have subsided, can't wait for the game to release :lol

Wait, so the enemies there didn't just stand around walking in circles? Everything I thought I knew about this game was wrong?!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't watch these streams.

a. Fuck this kid, he is totally more obnoxious than me even when I've had too much ice cream
b. Why does he get to play it before I do???
c. NO YOU HAVE TO BUY THAT GUN. BUY IT NOW. OH MY GOD.
d. No bloodwing skills? you be doin it wrong.

Swag

Hawkian said:

a. Fuck this kid, he is totally more obnoxious than me even when I've had too much ice cream

I have to agree with you, I closed it after hearing him speak

Electricity firing revolver! Ridiculous.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hawkian said:

I like his enthusiasm and he shouldn't of bought the gun.

New pistol is pretty awesome.

I like how he can sit there and focus to snipe an enemy in the head when it's 2 feet away, but he freaks the fuck out and starts spraying the battlefield when he gets a revolver :lol

Hawkian said:

I'm making a gunslinger mordecai - wanna fight about it? :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I turned it back on. Live gameplay is taunting me...

And no, the more various Mords on the field the better.

But I will duel you anytime fool

EDIT: "Is this game good? IS THIS GAME GOOD? It's amazing!!!!" :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No?

Holy shit did that thing just shockwave his entire shield away in one hit?

ARGH okay no more. So hard not to watch :lol

Btw this is the best marketing tool ever.

ezekial45

Banned
Have devs ever tried playing certain parts of the game through a live stream before release?

It's really a great way to get some attention.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ooooh, that explains it. Well, they should all drop on Monday. Yay football to keep my mind off things til then! :]

Top Bottom