• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Philthy

Unicorn said:
There's the main game end boss, but this adds a beafierr end boss that only appears after beating the main game.

So.. The DLC has its own end boss I would assume. I've already beaten Play Through 1. Now, if I go through Play Through 2, and we beat the same blob ... mouth.. whatever thing, there is yet another NEW boss after him now?

Unicorn

Philthy said:
So.. The DLC has its own end boss I would assume. I've already beaten Play Through 1. Now, if I go through Play Through 2, and we beat the same blob ... mouth.. whatever thing, there is yet another NEW boss after him now?
No. The Main game's end boss is always the Destroyer, but with the DLC I'm assuming there's an area somewhere around TBone Junction that contains This level 64 boss Gearbox wants us to farm for "pearlescent" weapons. He only appears after you've beaten the Destroyer of the Main game, so he's a sort of epilogue boss, but you need the DLC in order to reach him (and be high enough level to stand a chance).

GWX

Hey GAF,

I'm trying to hit level 50 before General Knoxx comes out on PC. I'm at level 48 right now, but I started "The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned" as a level 40 and evolved there. Now every quest in the main game is level 40-41 and it's taking forever to win XP. What to do?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Is something wrong with the enemy drops in this DLC? I was playing 2 player coop tonight and every single humanoid enemy dropped nothing but assault rifles. It was getting really annoying. The chests were still varied though.

Come to think of it, I had a lot of assault rifles too... and a lot of shitty shields that I'd pick up and sell

I thought I found the perfect SMG replacement for the legit one I had that was taken away by the patch (still bitter about that) but it has a weird bullet pattern. First time in the game I've seen this, but the bullets swirl around each other and take much longer to reach their destination. They also bounce off of walls and armor... what's up with that? Is it just the gun, or do I have some Siren ability activated that causes it? I tried another SMG and it didn't do it, so it's the gun, but I don't see anywhere in its description about the bullets shooting like that

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DRock said:
Is something wrong with the enemy drops in this DLC? I was playing 2 player coop tonight and every single humanoid enemy dropped nothing but assault rifles. It was getting really annoying. The chests were still varied though.

Are there a lot of Lance? Lance have a tendency to drop more machine guns than anything else. That's probably why.

DRock

I got that gun on my siren. It looks like a corkscrew of bullets kinda. Very powerful, but a little difficult to hit from a distance.

DRock

GuardianE said:
Are there a lot of Lance? Lance have a tendency to drop more machine guns than anything else. That's probably why.
That's what I thought at first, but the midgets and other bandits were dropping assault rifles in the sunken sea.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DRock said:
I got that gun on my siren. It looks like a corkscrew of bullets kinda. Very powerful, but a little difficult to hit from a distance.

It's the barrel type. The twisted barrel actually nullifies a lot of positive attributes of guns and makes the weapon harder to aim. Other than their cool spiral pattern the twisted barrel is essentially worthless and makes the gun have less value to the player overall.

Sometimes you'll see the Twisted prefix in the name, but usually it'll be overwritten by another prefix, like Malevolent or Wicked.

Aaron

Gryphter said:
Come to think of it, I had a lot of assault rifles too... and a lot of shitty shields that I'd pick up and sell

I thought I found the perfect SMG replacement for the legit one I had that was taken away by the patch (still bitter about that) but it has a weird bullet pattern. First time in the game I've seen this, but the bullets swirl around each other and take much longer to reach their destination. They also bounce off of walls and armor... what's up with that? Is it just the gun, or do I have some Siren ability activated that causes it? I tried another SMG and it didn't do it, so it's the gun, but I don't see anywhere in its description about the bullets shooting like that
It's the gun. There's a pistol a boss drops in the main game that does that.

Teknoman

Finally starting to have time for steam games again, any GAF still around to play the vanialla PC borderlands (dont really want to buy DLC until I actually beat the game once)?

I'm sure Hawkian will be up unless he's burnt out :lol

I want to use it because the damage # is high and the scope is good, but I was having trouble landing headshots on the Lance guys with the shields

a few posts mentioned the lack of teleport stations and the long ass drives were a downside and after playing a bit tonight, I agree. When I start it up and see myself spawn in the middle of T-bone Junction, it pains me

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gryphter said:
I want to use it because the damage # is high and the scope is good, but I was having trouble landing headshots on the Lance guys with the shields

a few posts mentioned the lack of teleport stations and the long ass drives were a downside and after playing a bit tonight, I agree. When I start it up and see myself spawn in the middle of T-bone Junction, it pains me

Yeah, it's unfortunate, man. The gun is more of a novelty than practical. Use it if you want, though. Whenever I pick up a good SMG, I'm happy, but then when I fire twisted bullets I sell it in disgust. I have one twisted SMG in my inventory to play around with. Other than that, there's no point.

Lunchbox

Banned
just killed crabmax or whatever that things called....twice, still no pearl

first on playthrough1 with 4 people, and then playthrough2. wtf gearbox, give me pearl, it was like 45 mins each

You have clearly never played a Diabloish type RPG have you.. Rare items just dont drop after 2 kills lol.. Its probably gonna take a little longer then that.. But I bet when they fall they will be oh so sweet.

Philthy

DRock said:

This is what we're seeing as well. Even in the chests, it's usually two assault rifles 9 out of 10 times. If its not, it'll be 4 useless pistols. Kill an assassin? Assault rifle. Probably a bug if everyone is seeing it. It's a bit off putting because that is the one weapon I absolutely hate. I have seen one SMG so far, out of a million drops.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Lunchbox said:
just killed crabmax or whatever that things called....twice, still no pearl

first on playthrough1 with 4 people, and then playthrough2. wtf gearbox, give me pearl, it was like 45 mins each

Use a class mod with a bonus for rare items. They did say the pearlescents would be super-rare.

I hate them too, well more like I hate most of the weapons, lol. I roll shotgun, smg, sniper rifle. The 4th slot I leave a rocket launcher in, but it's not like I use it. I keep at least 1 of the other types of guns in my backpack, but who am I trying to kid, it's not like I'll EVER use any of them

confuziz

Banned
I'm on the edge of buying this game but I have one important question :

My brother and I want to buy this game, but he says splitscreen co-op is crap because of the lower framerate (don't know if this is confirmed) and the obvious smaller screen you have. In conclusion he wants to pay 2x 50 euro's (we both have a ps3) instead of 1 time.

What do you guys advice to do?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
confuziz said:
I'm on the edge of buying this game but I have one important question :

My brother and I want to buy this game, but he says splitscreen co-op is crap because of the lower framerate (don't know if this is confirmed) and the obvious smaller screen you have. In conclusion he wants to pay 2x 50 euro's (we both have a ps3) instead of 1 time.

What do you guys advice to do?

It completely depends on how much money you have to burn. There's not significant slowdown in splitscreen, but the smaller screen is a nuisance. Also, if you care about retaining saves/profiles on your own PS3, then each of you would probably rather play it non splitscreen.

Ultimately, it'd be better if you picked up two copies, but the question is whether or not it's worth it to you.

confuziz

Banned
GuardianE said:
It completely depends on how much money you have to burn. There's not significant slowdown in splitscreen, but the smaller screen is a nuisance. Also, if you care about retaining saves/profiles on your own PS3, then each of you would probably rather play it non splitscreen.

Ultimately, it'd be better if you picked up two copies, but the question is whether or not it's worth it to you.

Yeah that's really what I want to know, is it worth it to buy 2 copies?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
confuziz said:

Well, I don't know what the multiple logins patch did, but I'd buy two copies if you have two PS3s, personally. If you're strapped for cash, and one of you is willing to keep his save on the other's PS3, then just buy one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Teknoman said:
Finally starting to have time for steam games again, any GAF still around to play the vanialla PC borderlands (dont really want to buy DLC until I actually beat the game once)?

I'm sure Hawkian will be up unless he's burnt out :lol

I'm always down to reenter the 'lands :D

I do have the Zombie Island DLC too, haven't touched it yet though.

Anybody who wantsa, just hit me up on Steam (Hawkian).

EDIT: Whoa, new DLC announced with new guns and raised level cap? Come on Gearbox I have a huge backlog :lol

snap0212

Just got back into the game and realized again why I stopped playing. The loading times on the PS3 are just way too long. Seems like I just jump from area to area and have to wait about a minute for it to load the data. Just no fun at all. :(

Unicorn

MmmSkyscraper said:
Use a class mod with a bonus for rare items. They did say the pearlescents would be super-rare.
I got one last night that's +2 to rare items but I don't know what that means. Is it like skills and 5 is the highest? How much would +1 increase my rare finding?

nli10 said:
There is a Claptrap but as we were on 2.5 play through we got grenade mod - not sure what would happen on 1st play through.

I just rescued him on playthrough 1, I got a grenade mod :/ I know there are tricks where I can just turn the game off and try again for the backpack sdu, but I really don't feel like making the trip all the way back from T-bone junction, ah well

jkanownik

confuziz said:

It's a slippery expensive slope. I started with one copy. Then I Gamefly'ed a second copy so my wife and I could play on separate screens. Then I bought the Gamefly copy because I had kept it for so long. Then I bought the Zombie Island DLC for one system thinking we would just play through it separately. Then we got to level 50 on playthrough 2.5 and were still going. So I bought a 20 GB hard drive for my arcade so I could put Zombie Island on it. I just bought General Knoxx for both systems. I'm thinking really hard about getting Mad Moxxi for both.

Final Borderlands Tab = 2 x $45 for game + $25 HD + 2 x $10 x 3 for DLC = $175

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Unicorn said:
I got one last night that's +2 to rare items but I don't know what that means. Is it like skills and 5 is the highest? How much would +1 increase my rare finding?

I'm assuming it bumps the chance percentage up in increments, similar to other skills. I've found that I'm getting more blue and purple items on this playthrough with the +2 mod, although I'm not sure it has any effect on chests. I found this thread which debates that, although I can't say if they came to any significant conclusions.

As it's a boss drop, I'd assume the mod would have some effect although no-one except Gearbox can say how much.

Edit: forgot to add that this page indicates the rare items mod tops out at +3.

Unicorn

MmmSkyscraper said:
I'm assuming it bumps the chance percentage up in increments, similar to other skills. I've found that I'm getting more blue and purple items on this playthrough with the +2 mod, although I'm not sure it has any effect on chests. I found this thread which debates that, although I can't say if they came to any significant conclusions.

As it's a boss drop, I'd assume the mod would have some effect although no-one except Gearbox can say how much.

I noticed more purples outta chests and a found some oranges with it equipped, so I'd say it DOES add chances to the chests. Tried Crawmerax last night and swiftly died. fml

Insaniac

found the new spectre class mod for sirens yesterday, pretty cool, I can't wait to see what other class mods other classes have gotten

Monroeski said:
I think my Hunter is in the high 30s and I am pretty much just rolling through the DLC on 1st playthrough (have second playthrough unlocked, just haven't started yet). Basically just one shot everything except bosses, which take maybe 3 or 4.

I'd personally recommend playing it with your lower level character.

Thanks, think I'm at lvl 31 or 2 with my lowest character now. I'll have to give it a go .

Philthy

MmmSkyscraper said:

I found mine in a locker right at the beginning of the game. Literally 5 minutes into the DLC. Havent used it yet.

so what's this pearlescent/boss drop stuff you guys are talking about? I gather that the big boss at the end of General Knoxx can rarely drop something, but what should I be looking for in case I find it?

Artadius

Tiamatsword22 said:
If I have a retail disc copy of Borderlands will the steam dlc work with it?

I do not think so... you might be able to get it from gearbox / 2K digital download though, you should ask on their boards.

Has anyone gotten the "Lost Lewt" Lancer radar in General Knoxx? I don't understand how to dig up the treasure, I found a spot that shows a green crosshair, but when I get out to dig there's nothing I can do... is this something you can't do solo?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Tried to finally finish up Zombie Island the other day, since this new expansion got me excited about the game. Then I log on and none of my friends want to co-op, and only an hour or so in playing it solo the game crashed my computer.

I remember now why I stopped playing it in the first place. :( May still give it a go, I don't remember the game actually crashing on me after the initial loads of hours I had to spend to play longer than 10 minutes, but it was just really disheartening.

Unicorn

Gryphter said:
Has anyone gotten the "Lost Lewt" Lancer radar in General Knoxx? I don't understand how to dig up the treasure, I found a spot that shows a green crosshair, but when I get out to dig there's nothing I can do... is this something you can't do solo?
You gotta back the lancer up a bit, get out and look for a bit of silver protruding. You'll be able to press "x" or "activate" and one of the fat loot chhests will emerge from the ground. They respawn too...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm, I just noticed that the DLC achievements are 240 points... which probably means this will be the last pack for the quarter, unless they choose to release some more DLC without achievements.

Top Bottom