• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

mrgone

Jarate said:
Is it bad that the only reason i'm picking brick for my first play through is because he reminds me of the Heavy from TF2.

I love the unintelligible nonsense coming out of his mouth when he's in berserk mode. I'm thinking about picking Brick just to go all Brock Samson on some dudes.

Cant0na

Banned
God's Beard said:
So I've decided:
Bet On Soldier is for people who want to be efficient in all situations.
Birdman is for long-range damage dealers.
Sideshow Strongman is for people who can't aim or use cover properly.
She-vamp is for people who like to play intentionally gimped characters.

great, so every game i join will have 4 soldiers or 3 soldiers and a Sniper

:|

Blizzard

Banned
SundaySounds said:
I have some serious questions that need answering.
I've looked all over, but I can't find details about the gameplay mechanics.

Is friendly fire on?
How is XP divided?
How is the Money divided?
How many weapons can you carry? / What is the inventory system like?
Can one person operate a vehicle, or do you need two?
Can you have AI allies in co-op?
Are there AI allies in single player?
Can you customize the weapons after obtaining them?
Can you make your own weapons?
Vehicles are maximum two people, I think I read (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Don't know how many you NEED. I heard vehicle XP from running over things is very low. I'm pretty sure you can't make or customize weapons.

Tokubetsu

Lord Phol said:
As I've gained a bit more knowledge about the games since my last build and I got nothing better to do I reconed I try my hands at the skill tree again :p.

Lilith - 20/10/15
Focusing less on melee damage and more on using phasewalking as an escape mechanism/survival tool and elemental guns for dmg. Think it will work pretty good for PvP as well. Venom would be fun just to mess around with, but couldn't find anything worth sacrificing for it.

Mordecai - 20/0/25
Also made one for Mordecai as I'm not sure which one I'm gonna try first. Pretty straight forward, focusing on doing LOTS of dmg with sniper rifles and handguns. Probably not the best build for PvP but could always move some points if needed. Will be getting som beefy boosts whenever ending an enemy >: D.

Did we just make almost identical builds? :lol

Those are some decent reviews. I am once again decently interested. Plus, that thread "Every game should be like Borderlands" made me think "Hey, every game should be like Borderlands...and I should own borderlands."

garath

SundaySounds said:
I have some serious questions that need answering.
I've looked all over, but I can't find details about the gameplay mechanics.

Is friendly fire on?
Nope. Except in arenas or if you purposely duel

How is XP divided?
Split based on your level. I.e. you and a co-op player kill a level 10 mob, if you are level 10 you'll get 100xp (imaginary numbers) your level 20 co-op player will get 10xp. If you are both level 10, you both get 100xp.

How is the Money divided?
Even steven.

How many weapons can you carry? / What is the inventory system like?
I think I recall it being 12 items period (weapons, shields, mods, etc) that is later expandable. You can equip 2 weapons initially, 4 eventually. Inventory system is just a list with headers to split the types.

Can one person operate a vehicle, or do you need two?
One person can do just fine. 2 puts the second person as a dedicated turret gunner.

Can you have AI allies in co-op?
No AI allies

Are there AI allies in single player?
No AI allies

Can you customize the weapons after obtaining them?
Yes. There are weapon enhancement mods in later levels.

Can you make your own weapons?
Nope

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
1up said:
it's basically Mario Party for FPS fans.

:lol :lol

These reviews are great! Actually better than I expected. I imagine it'll metacritic out toward the 90 side of 85, whereas I was thinking the 80 side.

poweld

Hawkian said:
:lol :lol

These reviews are great! Actually better than I expected. I imagine it'll metacritic out toward the 90 side of 85, whereas I was thinking the 80 side.
Agreed, though I was expecting a possible high 70's. Hype train is now unstoppable! Clear the tracks!

Has anyone been able to find a working video for the first 10 minutes of Borderlands? I've only found a million links for this one video, but the audio/video is horribly out of sync.

Firestorm

Terrordactyl said:
First time I didn't skim a review in a while. More a sign of what little I know than anything. Summary sums up why I'm excited:

Call it a first-person Diablo, an evolution of Resistance 2's co-op mode, Monster Hunter for the west, or a party game for FPS gamers. Call it the best example of the transformative power of multiplayer. Whatever you designate it, Borderlands is a decent single-player FPS/RPG that simply becomes great -- when playing with others.

Although it seems to take a looong time to get to LV50 =( I want to hit LV50 fast and do some cool post-game content if possible. Then again, why am I playing this instead of WoW. I tried to stay the hell away from WoW only to get into an FPS that behaves like it? XD

garath

I am totally leaning toward Lilith but from what I've seen of the higher level players she seems like a difficult class to play.

Most people seem to be using her phasewalk as an escape plan, but the early point spread makes it difficult to get some real damage out of her. I'm planning on a melee focus with fast phasewalk refresh. I'd really like to see someone play that way and see if it's viable but no streams like that so far.

My Lilith build:
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21500550050050000505055

Brick is an alternative but again, I'm unsure of the viability of the melee attack. How much damage does it actually do?

MidnightRider said:
Anyone want to share their Soldiers builds with me?

I am still in the process of tweaking mine.

You could check out mine: Bet on Soldier!

It's set up to be a kind of "frag and clear" class, for quickly taking down groups from multiple angles. It suffers a little against single enemies like bosses, but not much.

Firestorm

garath said:
I am totally leaning toward Lilith but from what I've seen of the higher level players she seems like a difficult class to play.

Most people seem to be using her phasewalk as an escape plan, but the early point spread makes it difficult to get some real damage out of her. I'm planning on a melee focus with fast phasewalk refresh. I'd really like to see someone play that way and see if it's viable but no streams like that so far.

My Lilith build:
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21500550050050000505055

Brick is an alternative but again, I'm unsure of the viability of the melee attack. How much damage does it actually do?
Your build is very similar to mine. We have the same focus, phasewalk + melee with fast refresh. I don't care if she's hard to play. I played Thief/Assassin Maple Story when it was in beta. My friends all made fun of me as I did little to no damage when we were low levelled, and it turned out that in later levels I was the most powerful class in the game =D

Raelson

garath said:
I think I recall it being 12 items period (weapons, shields, mods, etc) that is later expandable. You can equip 2 weapons initially, 4 eventually. Inventory system is just a list with headers to split the types.
You can get more inventory spaces by doing certain quests (rescuing claptraps).
Max number of spaces is 42 as far as i know.

RS4-

God's Beard said:

It's set up to be a kind of "frag and clear" class, for quickly taking down groups from multiple angles. It suffers a little against single enemies like bosses, but not much.

Leaning towards something like this, but more support based for healing. I didn't pump too much into turrets yet because I'm not too sure how long they'd stay up.

God's Beard said:

No cauterize? I'm gonna love that skill.
Idk, I'm gonna be more medic than soldier.

RS4- said:
Leaning towards something like this, but more support based for healing. I didn't pump too much into turrets yet because I'm not too sure how long they'd stay up.
If you don't want to focus on turrets, then I'd say the main skills are Stat, Quick Charge, Grenadier, Impact and Metal Storm. Of course, you also want the healing skills since you said you're supporting.
Probably something like this:Field Medic

Darklord said:
Well the GB review says its perfectly fine in single player.

Ok thanks, I've only read the 1UP review so far. I've had this pre-ordered on PC for months, GAME.co.uk still haven't updated the release date though. Still says it's coming out on the 23rd for all platforms.

garath

Firestorm said:
Your build is very similar to mine. We have the same focus, phasewalk + melee with fast refresh. I don't care if she's hard to play. I played Thief/Assassin Maple Story when it was in beta. My friends all made fun of me as I did little to no damage when we were low levelled, and it turned out that in later levels I was the most powerful class in the game =D

Yeah.. exactly. My thoughts are: take a base 35% increase to melee damage, then slap an 800% bonus onto that for leaving phasewalk, you should be able to one or two shot people (thus lowering your phasewalk refresh) while having your opponents dazed and having damage reduction on yourself. Perfectly viable offensive phasewalk plan. The only difficulty would be if you can't kill the enemies quick enough and you get bogged down in the middle without being able to lower your refresh enough.

edit: I just saw a stream where a level 22 siren was melee'ing some bugs. They have no shields so it's not a perfect example but he was dishing out 776 melee damage with no points in melee. Add 35% to get to 1000 melee damage normal, 8000 damage out of phasewalk.

I think I've reconvinced myself that Lilith is the way to go.

Firestorm said:
Although it seems to take a looong time to get to LV50 =( I want to hit LV50 fast and do some cool post-game content if possible. Then again, why am I playing this instead of WoW. I tried to stay the hell away from WoW only to get into an FPS that behaves like it? XD
35 hours to get to level 50 is way too short if you ask me.

Firestorm

AndyMoogle said:
35 hours to get to level 50 is way too short if you ask me.
I'm really hoping they have good LV50 support. If there's a cap, it should be for a reason. I want something to do at LV50. Although I'm really not a fan of having to pay for things to do at LV50... DLC better be <$5. Guessing the game isn't GFW Live is it? I just bought 8400 Microsoft Points at 50% off >.>; Would rather spend that than real money!

Blizzard

Banned
Firestorm said:
I'm really hoping they have good LV50 support. If there's a cap, it should be for a reason. I want something to do at LV50. Although I'm really not a fan of having to pay for things to do at LV50... DLC better be <$5. Guessing the game isn't GFW Live is it? I just bought 8400 Microsoft Points at 50% off >.>; Would rather spend that than real money!
I figured it had probably been answered. I had been wondering whether it would use GFW Live. It would be amazing if it used Steam invites to games instead, but I guess I'll be stuck with a bunch of Steam friends I will have to add on GFW and then use the awkward slidey invite system, or ingame invites?

Does anyone know (if it's GFW Live) if it supports achievements?

And I'm also not a fan of paying extra after the initial game purchase. For PC DLC is already confirmed to be $10 for the first one alone, and I assume they will have disabled all modding support for custom maps, though some people might be able to reskin things. One of the main things I asked before deciding to buy was whether the single-player and multiplayer gameplay would be good enough to provide replay value without me having to spend $10 each on a bunch of DLC packs that everyone else would be playing (thus leaving me out). Hopefully not. :)

*edit*
HALLELUJAH no GFW Live. No offense to the people who like it. :lol Achievements are fun but whatever if they don't have them.

About the level cap, I forgot to mention...multiple characters should help that. I always hated in KOTOR how I had to make tough decisions about skills. If this is fun I could see myself playing one character up, and then saying "hey, I'll try a totally different playstyle now" and do a different skilltree.

Tokubetsu

It definitely feels like every build I make is more group oriented. It all makes sense now why I always play heal/support bitch.

Firestorm

Aw no GFWL :( I like my achievements + friends list integration + cheaper DLC.
elrechazao said:
ign review mentions "really engaging AI" that keeps fights interesting.

idle thumbs fail
1up review mentions "AI that run straight at you". I think I'll take Idle Thumbs + 1up over IGN.

Top Bottom