• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Kotaku wasn't so hot with the ai. I can agree with that since a lot of streams showed baddies getting stuck to your advantage. Hopefully Gbx can fix this at launch.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-borderlands-152286.phtml

Destructoid said:
Also, online games will be run through GameSpy, which I'm mostly neutral about. I'm not a big fan of GameSpy, but creating an account in game is super easy and the matchmaking seems very streamline -- it should be pretty simple to get a game going with minimum hassle.

Not an ideal situation with the online gaming for PC, but I think I can handle it. GameSpy is owned by IGN, by the way.

Tokubetsu

ThaiGrocer said:
http://www.destructoid.com/review-borderlands-152286.phtml

Not an ideal situation with the online gaming for PC, but I think I can handle it. GameSpy is owned by IGN, by the way.

Yea, I've gone through 8 or so gamespy accounts over the years because every now and then some PC game will require one. It's not a big problem and beside the initial signup/login you forget about it. UT3 uses it, Tribes Vengeance did it and a quite a few others.

Shoogoo

ChoklitReign said:
Destructoid says the ending is even worse than Fallout 3. Please tell me (without details!) he's wrong. I heard the story was pretty good.

I have no idea but why in the fuck would he lie?

Darklord

Banned
Oh jesus christ, it uses Gamespy? I can't think of a single game that didn't make worse. C&C3 was damn near unplayable online using that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tokubetsu said:
Yea, I've gone through 8 or so gamespy accounts over the years because every now and then some PC game will require one. It's not a big problem and beside the initial signup/login you forget about it. UT3 uses it, Tribes Vengeance did it and a quite a few others.

This. If it's well implemented after the initial setup you don't even realize it's Gamespy anymore. Certainly better than a variety of matchmaking solutions I've experienced.

And yeah... I wouldn't expect much from the story in this initial outing. Did anyone really think Diablo's storyline was that incredible? :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bahaha...

I don't know why anybody'd expect different AI from what they've seen in videos. I think it looks better than most action-RPGs, worse than most tactical shooters. Whaddya gonna do.

sooo, what retailers are most inclined to break release dates? I was this close at a PC Richards, when the computer stopped the clerk from completing the sale.

Blizzard

Banned
Firestorm said:
Aw no GFWL :( I like my achievements + friends list integration + cheaper DLC.
I'm honestly confused -- GFWL has a history of cheaper DLC than what, PC games in general? Or DLC over Steam?

And doesn't Steam also have achievements and friends list integration? They could in theory have used that instead.

My main problem with GFWL is that the friends list feels really slow and awkward to me, like a slidey slow animated Windows Vista style interface, requiring 3-4 clicks to find a friend and try to join something. I've only really used it for SFIV online though, aside from Fallout 3.

I've played UT3, and it had a really obnoxious system for adding friends, where you had to double/triple confirm and add on both sides, I think? Maybe they'll make the Gamespy system better on here, but I still see a future of consulting a list of Steam vs. Gamespy IDs now for this game. :lol

*edit* Sounds like the consensus is bad ending, bad AI. I didn't really expect either to be especially good, so I shall temper my expectations accordingly!

ZealousD said:
I really liked it!

I felt it was just there to be there, that game really didn't need a story. I guess it did but once you got into the community it was all cows, meph and pindle anyways. I did like PL'ing with my zon and sorc though. I hated the arcane part of the game but I did pick up a Skullders (IIRC) there during a PL session.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hate GFWL too :-/ The worst is your save games being tied to your account. Screwed me more than once.

IGN said:
Even the elite versions of monsters, called Badass in the first playthrough, are upgraded to BadMutha in the second

:lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Let's take bets on Gamespot. My theory is that they wait to see what the rest of the industry has to say before they actually assign a number, even if the review is written.

I say... 8.0.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Hawkian said:
Let's take bets on Gamespot. My theory is that they wait to see what the rest of the industry has to say before they actually assign a number, even if the review is written.

I say... 8.0.
9.5!believe!

well I mean 8.5

Hawkian said:

I say... 8.0.

do they use half points? I guess 8.7

God's Beard said:
You could check out mine: Bet on Soldier!

It's set up to be a kind of "frag and clear" class, for quickly taking down groups from multiple angles. It suffers a little against single enemies like bosses, but not much.

I think I am going to make something off of this.

I like your style

Hawkian said:

I say... 8.0.

It all depends on the revenue from last month. If it hasn't been so great for them, they'll have a lower score than the average of their peers to get more visits. I'm assuming that they always post last. Obviously kidding, sad if true. /Glenn Beck

ChoklitReign said:
Destructoid says the ending is even worse than Fallout 3. Please tell me (without details!) he's wrong. I heard the story was pretty good.

This is not a game you should be playing for the storyline. You heard wrong.

SundaySounds said:
This is not a game you should be playing for the storyline. You heard wrong.

While you are very correct, I think that this game could lend itself to an interesting narrative. I don't think that was a concern though, especially when you have the mindless drivel in AAA titles like Gears of War (OT but I think that GoW could have a great story, a missed opportunity for sure).

Einbroch

Banned
Played this last night with a friend over system link...

Seriously, this game is amazing. My friend is a FPS fan, I'm a RPG fan. He hates RPGs, I suck at FPSs, but we're both hooked.

My friend and I are going to play all night tonight and all day tomorrow (we both have no classes on Tuesdays).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Einbroch said:
My friend is a FPS fan, I'm a RPG fan. He hates RPGs, I suck at FPSs, but we're both hooked.

This is what Gearbox, in my opinion, is banking on to really give this game legs, inspire copycats, and eventually prompt a sequel which could be a truly epic all-time mondo gaming jam.

Einbroch said:
Played this last night with a friend over system link...

Seriously, this game is amazing. My friend is a FPS fan, I'm a RPG fan. He hates RPGs, I suck at FPSs, but we're both hooked.

My friend and I are going to play all night tonight and all day tomorrow (we both have no classes on Tuesdays).

Lucky!

I took off work for the Tuesday after the Midnight Release of MW2.

That's going to be awesome. A Full 24 hours of MW2 should insure that I get pretty far right off the bat...

That's the only thing I hated about graduating college. I had to get a job and the gaming got put on hold as far as long gaming sessions go.

pelican

Class_A_Ninja said:
To be fair, I think Idle Thumbs' problem was with AI that didn't "engage".

I found the opinion expressed as the game being "awful" quite out of touch.

The game has issues both in implementation, and coding such as the AI but to describe it as being that poor doesn't highlight your ability to critique fairly in good light.

I quite like Idle Thumbs but sometimes their train of thought about what makes a good quality gaming experience feels strange to me.

Figured I would wait to build Brick till after everyone does all the Trail and Error run throughs with him.

I no doubt would be building him for PVP only.

Einbroch

Banned
Hawkian said:
This is what Gearbox, in my opinion, is banking on to really give this game legs, inspire copycats, and eventually prompt a sequel which could be a truly epic all-time mondo gaming jam.
They're doing a bang-up job.

I don't want to say this game is Fallout 3 done right, because in my opinion they're two totally different games, but...

This is Fallout 3 done right.
:lol

Einbroch

Banned
MidnightRider said:
Figured I would wait to build Brick till after everyone does all the Trail and Error run throughs with him.

I no doubt would be building him for PVP only.
You can reset your skill tree at any time for a reasonable amount of dollars.

Terrordactyl said:
I felt it was just there to be there, that game really didn't need a story. I guess it did but once you got into the community it was all cows, meph and pindle anyways. I did like PL'ing with my zon and sorc though. I hated the arcane part of the game but I did pick up a Skullders (IIRC) there during a PL session.

Exactly how i felt.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Terrordactyl said:

Diablo story was about setting the mood more than anything else. The narrative counterpart of art direction.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
practice02 said:
Waut until outliers like game-thirst, game-wizrobe start getting scores posted start posting scores, most likely high to mid 70's.

Gamespot and some other mainstreams still remain as well, you never know.

mackloon

Neo Member
This game just came up on my radar...

Looks purday bada$$. I read through the thread, but...

I was not sure if there was a 4-player same console co-op or head to head pvp mode?

Can anyone confirm..

The GameSpy IGN references are really stupid...

You people must be really digging deep to hate a game or something especially on something that is getting overall really good reviews from all of the review outlets.

mackloon said:

I was not sure if there was a 4-player same console co-op or head to head pvp mode?

Can anyone confirm..

There is 2 player same console co-op (Vertical split screen). 4 player local lan is available w/ 4 systems but no 4 on 1 system.

There is an arena pvp system for closed arena duels.. but then their is also a duel system in the open world where you melee eachother and it locks you in a static dome to duel..

mackloon said:

Can anyone confirm..

Ummm, I'm not entirely sure, but I think split screen is limited to two people.

Top Bottom