• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Unicorn

God's Beard said:
Keyboard and mouse support.
I can understand people complaining about accuracy versus the mouse, but I can't honestly see the appeal of 4 direction keyboard control versus analog movement control...

Unicorn said:
I can understand people complaining about accuracy versus the mouse, but I can't honestly see the appeal of 4 direction keyboard control versus analog movement control...
Not this again. In how many PC games does your walking speed matter?

Blizzard

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
fuck still cant decide what class to play... hmm any suggestions
All four. Pick one, try it out. Level it to 50 if you want. Change your mind, repeat with the next class. :p Rebuild your skill trees along the way too.

And about analog movement as opposed to direction keys, typically on PC you use the mouse to get precise directional control. Precise movement speed control typically doesn't matter, though if you need to move slowly or quickly some games use an extra button/toggle for walking or sprinting.

Lilith pretty much involves lots of colored damage text flying off enemies, and it's constant damage across the board due to her elemental boosts. Lots of green, red and blue. Or white, but thats silly

Brick is fun for tearing through things and soaking up damage.

Mordecai is to pick off enemies afar, seems frail.

Roland is probably run of the mill with nothing really special about him.

Unicorn

ChoklitReign said:
Not this again. In how many PC games does your walking speed matter?

Not trying to derail, but it's more about accurate movement rather than speed. Really bothered me in Fallout honestly.

Last comment I'll make about.

jabipun

Can anyone link me to Lilith's skill tree.

I'm thinking between Hunter and her. I like pistols, for some reason I find killing something with a pistol to be badass. But ultimately, I think for the scope of the game that can be a bit a bad thing.

For one - with all the crazy shit offers, how are pistols balanced to be effective in the game?

PS: Also, do you guys turn aim assistance off.

For anyone sporting the PS3 version, how do you form a co-op party? Do you need to invite actual friends playing the game (on your friends list), or is there a way to jump into someones game?

Unicorn said:
Not trying to derail, but it's more about accurate movement rather than speed. Really bothered me in Fallout honestly.

Last comment I'll make about.

I'm actually curious. Why could you possibly think that analog sticks are more accurate than kb+m?

Unicorn

jabipun said:
Can anyone link me to Lilith's skill tree.

I'm thinking between Hunter and her. I like pistols, for some reason I find killing something with a pistol to be badass. But ultimately, I think for the scope of the game that can be a bit a bad thing.

For one - with all the crazy shit offers, how are pistols balanced to be effective in the game?

PS: Also, do you guys turn aim assistance off.

Here's the build I'm thinking of using. You can reset to set your own.

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21055050505505005005000

Mr. Snrub said:
I'm actually curious. Why could you possible think that analog sticks are more accurate than kb+m?

I'm arguing against the keyboard mostly. Not only for movement, but often no matter how I layout the rest of the buttons I end up craning my fingers to access the menu or wait/nap option.

Mouse is understandably more accurate, but getting adept at analog stick isn't that big of a deal, but I understand people prefer the accuracy of a mouse.

Firestorm

Keyboard's pretty easy. You map all keys required to within reach of your left hand. I don't care between keyboard and analog stick for movement.

Unicorn

FinKL said:
Not to belittle you or anything (as I'm making a Siren as well), but why would you max out a few select skills? Sure, you want them to reach there max potential, but if you run into something with +skills mod, it would be for nil since everything is maxed.
Then I'll respec. I don't know what artifacts there are or mods, so for now that's my ideal build.

Giard

FinKL said:
Not to belittle you or anything (as I'm making a Siren as well), but why would you max out a few select skills? Sure, you want them to reach there max potential, but if you run into something with +skills mod, it would be for nil since everything is maxed.
Is there a list of class mods? It would be nice to know in advance so you can not spoil points...

Although you could re-spec later on.

FinKL said:

That's what respec is for. Ultimately, you're just trying to get the skills you want. No point in guessing what class mods will show up and gimp yourself.

Unicorn

Man I wish it was tomorrow so I could be getting off work and picking this game up and playing with my friends. The sooner I get an acid shotgun, the happier I'll be.

FinKL

Would love to see a list of class mods. I wonder if +skills would be randomized like Diablo? Like some Unique items were considered "Perfect" if they hit the max +skills on their mod.
EX. If there was an item that had a potential for +3 Slayer, would there be +1 or +2 versions of the same item?

Teknoman

SuperAwesome said:
Lilith pretty much involves lots of colored damage text flying off enemies, and it's constant damage across the board due to her elemental boosts. Lots of green, red and blue. Or white, but thats silly

Brick is fun for tearing through things and soaking up damage.

Mordecai is to pick off enemies afar, seems frail.

Roland is probably run of the mill with nothing really special about him.

If healing people with bullets isnt special, I dont know what is.

Dude Abides

Banned
One thing I like is that the mobs appear to drop the ammo you need after you kill them rather than random ammo. As soon as I got a sniper rifle I started getting sniper ammo; ditto with an SMG.

~Kinggi~ said:
I really hope the game does well cause i got a bit of a feeling Gearbox's survival is depending on this.

In the top ten at Amazon right now. Looking forward to seeing the Steam stats. I think it'll do well.

Unicorn

Dude Abides said:
Roland's turret really tears shit up.
He sounds like he makes the game too easy. Auto-fighting turret (with rockets), regenerating bullets, shields, health, and turrets... Where does actually playing come in?

Blizzard

Banned
Teknoman said:
:lol I want to use Mouse+Keyboard...but then I just found out 360 wired controllers rumble function works with PC games too...
To get things back on topic...this is the beauty of PC games. We can play with the keyboard and mouse, or with the 360 controller. Options! Graphics! All the advantages! No need to fight amongst ourselves!

Furthermore, this is the beauty of multiplatform games! Some can play on the 360! Some can play on the PS3! Some can even play on a PC! We're all even!

Delayed for a week so Left 4 Dead 2 can pull all the co-op Steam types away, and all the 360/PS3 people can taunt about the game, get three level 50 characters, grow bored of it, create a backlash thread or two, and switch to a diffferent game: Priceless. :lol

Unicorn

Blizzard said:
To get things back on topic...this is the beauty of PC games. We can play with the keyboard and mouse, or with the 360 controller. Options! Graphics! All the advantages! No need to fight amongst ourselves!

Furthermore, this is the beauty of multiplatform games! Some can play on the 360! Some can play on the PS3! Some can even play on a PC! We're all even!

True. Can't wait to get a nice new pc that can game next year!

Blizzard said:
Delayed for a week so Left 4 Dead 2 can pull all the co-op Steam types away, and all the 360/PS3 people can taunt about the game, get three level 50 characters, grow bored of it, create a backlash thread or two, and switch to a diffferent game: Priceless. :lol

HAHAHA so true.

mandiller

My copy is pre-ordered and waiting on Steam thanks to Neogaf and the four game pack. I can't wait. I'm thinking of either going with the Soldier or Lilith to start with.

Psy-Phi

But it's impressive. It's just enough over what I'd think would be too many to be a deliberate humorous post :p.

Anyway, back to the game. What I'm getting so far from reviews is that it's a lot of fun with friends; but boring alone after less than getting to the first bosses.

True? not True?

I'm still hesitant even after the positive reviews. 33 bucks for the 4 pack seems it'd be worth it though.

Unicorn said:
So is Dyack going to be playing some Borderlands so he knows what a loot game should be like?

He's probably boycotting it because of what Gearbox was able to do with the Unreal Engine making it look a whole lot better than Too Human.

Top Bottom