• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Xabora

golem said:
Same. Should have just got it for a console.
Worth the wait IMO: http://www.destructoid.com/borderlands-will-release-on-steam-have-extra-features-150208.phtml
About an hour ago we received a tip that a couple Gearbox employees had tweeted about Borderlands coming to Steam. While many people assumed it would be inevitable, I hit up Gearbox to see if I could get official confirmation, and official confirmation I got.

Not only will Borderlands be releasing for download on Steam, Steve Gibson of Gearbox also told us about a couple additional features that will be exclusive to the PC version. Given the amount of unique weapons in the game, you'll probably end up with some sweet-looking gun that none of your friends have. Want to show it off? You'll be able to export item cards to .jpg files. Additionally, the PC version will come with timedemo benchmark software, which admittedly isn't needed for the console versions, but will be a nice touch.

Steve also went on to say that those with high end PCs will experience the best Borderlands graphics of all the platforms. Finally, and what actually makes me the happiest, is that Steve promises that the PC version will have menu and inventory systems that are specifically designed for use with a mouse, the lack of which has been one of my bigger complaints about recent multi-platform games. Steve states that Gearbox is treating the PC version very seriously, and from what he's told me, it sounds like Gearbox on the right track.

Final details for the Steam release are still being worked on, but the Steam pre-order date will be announced as soon as it's available. For those of you with a 360 or a PS3 and a decent gaming PC, which platform will you be getting the game for?

Wowowow!

I love this game. I certainly wasn't expecting to. I wasn't hyped or interested in this game pre-release, but after playing it tonight... well I couldn't put it down. Just reached Level10. I love the weapons with added fire effect.

Well I love it all except the driving... er could they have made it harder to drive if they tried? It sucks. Hope driving isn't going to be a large part of the game, but I guess getting around would be quicker... well I say quicker, but not when you can't drive the thing properly. Did Gearbox take Gears of War controls and think "awful drive controls, lets take it"? Jees!

But yeah, gonna buy this now! Now to find a nice cheap price...

Blizzard

Banned
Unfortunately, rock-paper-shotgun already said the PC interface was pretty lousy in their (otherwise mostly positive?) review, with random 360 controller button icons and certain dialogs that you have to use the mouse/keyboard for, like you can't use page-up/page-down to scroll text etc.

I don't know if they were trying to play with the 360 controller on Windows, or if the interface is bad even with pure keyboard and mouse, though.

K' Dash

Shit, I've been playing with a friend and now he's gonna leave town and coming back saturday night I think, if i play this solo and try to help him later, can I come back where I left off when I was playing Alone, or will I be stuck with HIS (old) save of the game???

EzLink said:
So this game seems really interesting, but how good will my experience be if I never play coop or multiplayer?
I've been playing by myself thus far(around level 13) and it's been a total blast. Hopefully I'll be able to jump into a co-op game at some point to try it out.

K' Dash said:
Shit, I've been playing with a friend and now he's gonna leave town and coming back saturday night I think, if i play this solo and try to help him later, can I come back where I left off when I was playing Alone, or will I be stuck with HIS (old) save of the game???

Should be different......

If you go make a new character..........

if you continue on without him on this character.... it will continue on you progress and you will have to back track with him.

Magnus_Bulla said:
I've been playing by myself thus far(around level 13) and it's been a total blast. Hopefully I'll be able to jump into a co-op game at some point to try it out.

Just go hit Quick Match..... You are missing out.

Co-op is the way to go simply for all the Money and EXP you get out if it.

EzLink said:
So this game seems really interesting, but how good will my experience be if I never play coop or multiplayer?

I dunno, I never even knew the game had multiplayer/co-op until someone told me. I've been playing the single player all night. It rawks.

Just ordered it. Though probably won't get it until Monday now. Still gives me time to Platinum Uncharted 2. :D

Philthy

Yah, 4 player co-op is just crazy at times. Swarmed with so many creatures, everyone popping off their special skills, Brick screaming in rage and incoherent sentences while manically laughing is just so damn fun. Being cooped up in a small hallway with 4 players and then you run into two badass mobs out of nowhere is just edge of your seat gaming at its best.

MidnightRider said:
I will at 6:30 CST.... if you are still around.

I have a level 19 soldier and a level 18 Brick.

Think I am goign to continue with Brick tonight as I need to get him some better guns.
Yeah absolutely. Just played a little 2 player co-op but I had to get going. I can get back on around then. Anyone else want to join us?

I have the intro song in my head and I absolutely hate it. Imagine having to have to listen to it 15 times or so every day while you're at work.

Yeah I hate it!

K' Dash

MidnightRider said:
Should be different......

If you go make a new character..........

if you continue on without him on this character.... it will continue on you progress and you will have to back track with him.

Damn, I don't want to start again with another character, so, if I join him later I can not come back where I left off when I was playin solo????? I mean, my friend is new to videogames, he loves borderlands and I want to help him, but I won't stop playing this until sunday just cause he leaves.

If he hosts the game and I play with him, I know I won't loose my level, but the quests, the weapons and the money?

OP should update with this info, got all confused :(

For PC Users

From 2K Elizabeth (Community Manager at Take2) regarding SecuROM and how people can't play yet own legit copies.

Hey guys,

As you may have heard from me already (and have seen on the Gearbox forums) we know about this situation. I'll let you know when I have more to tell you, but as of right now I'm looking in to things!

Thanks.

From ennui (Community Manager at Gearbox Software) regarding the same thing

Hopefully there will be an official response regarding the broken street date and playability soon. We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration, and I just want to make sure you guys know you're not being ignored.

You have to admit.. every problem or issue that has come up about Borderlands.. small or large has been addressed or is being looked into almost immediately by both. This is the first time I've seen any type of fast response like this..

EzLink

Banned
Well fuck, seems like single player is a blast then. I guess it might be time for me to put another sizable wound in my already critically ill bank account!

JambiBum

So today while I was working I saw a billboard that said Master Blaster. The sign itself had nothing to do with the game at all but all I could do afterward was think about how I wanted to get home and punch some more shit in the face with Brick.

K' Dash said:
Damn, I don't want to start again with another character, so, if I join him later I can not come back where I left off when I was playin solo????? I mean, my friend is new to videogames, he loves borderlands and I want to help him, but I won't stop playing this until sunday just cause he leaves.

If he hosts the game and I play with him, I know I won't loose my level, but the quests, the weapons and the money?

OP should update with this info, got all confused :(

You don't have to make a new character. You can go back to the spot where you were in your game. As long as you are less than 10 levels ahead of your friend you can play with him all you want. You can go into his game, help him catch back up, and when he leaves go right back to where you were in your game. I'm assuming the guy who answered you just got confused.

If you are in his game and you guys get further ahead of where you were in your game then your game will update your quests. So say you are on a fetch quest in his game and you guys only get 5/10 items and then you stop. Well when you go back to your game you will already have those 5 items. You don't need to worry about making a new character just to play with him unless your +10 levels.

Spirit3

Picking up Level 25 weapons when you're stuck at a meager 11, not cool. It teases me with its powerful awesomeness.

Borderlands is surprisingly good by yourself, but is definitely meant to be played with other people. And what do you know, played one game where 2 of the players were honest but the third, a kid of some undisclosed age, ran to all the loot drops and weapon crates and took everything of decent value.

Shoogoo

Spirit3 said:
Picking up Level 25 weapons when you're stuck at a meager 11, not cool. It teases me with its powerful awesomeness.

Borderlands is surprisingly good by yourself, but is definitely meant to be played with other people. And what do you know, played one game where 2 of the players were honest but the third, a kid of some undisclosed age, ran to all the loot drops and weapon crates and took everything of decent value.

Don't wait, kick him out.

Blizzard

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
For PC Users

From 2K Elizabeth (Community Manager at Take2) regarding SecuROM and how people can't play yet own legit copies.

You have to admit.. every problem or issue that has come up about Borderlands.. small or large has been addressed or is being looked into almost immediately by both. This is the first time I've seen any type of fast response like this..
2K Elizabeth also posted on GAF in a different thread.

But what is this talking about? The PC version isn't even out for another 3+ days. Did someone get a retail PC version early and they can't play it?

Yes, I know getting a "retail" PC version early would be really easy to just equate with piracy, but I'll refrain myself from making that suggestion for now. :lol I had at least one annoying experience when I spent a while trying to help a guy with a bizarre Mirror's Edge editor/custom map issue...only to find out in the end that he had pirated it. Haha...

Spirit3 said:

John Gabriel's Internet Fuckwad Theory strikes again.

Blizzard said:
2K Elizabeth also posted on GAF in a different thread.

But what is this talking about? The PC version isn't even out for another 3+ days. Did someone get a retail PC version early and they can't play it?

Yes, I know getting a "retail" PC version early would be really easy to just equate with piracy, but I'll refrain myself from making that suggestion for now. :lol I had at least one annoying experience when I spent a while trying to help a guy with a bizarre Mirror's Edge editor/custom map issue...only to find out in the end that he had pirated it. Haha...
PC Retail is already in stores.. just being held in the back.. so some stores have broken street date for that and those people are mad they can't play it. They are also a bit mad that it was delayed a week yet the console one is out.. they dont understand why they can't play immediately.

Good to see 2K and Gearbox sees this and are working on something possibly.

Denzar

practice02 said:
Where are you getting these drastic drops?

It happens pretty randomly. One time I can blow a shitload of bandits and raiders to bits by causin a chain reaction of grenades and barrels without a hitch, the next moment the game struggles when displaying 4 to 5 skags attacking me. It's really weird.

@ Awry108

It's not a game breaker by any means, but it's too frequent to dissmiss. Go for the PS3 version if you want, you won't regret it.

And indeed, if there is one moment where it struggles often it's in a hectic co-op battle. But that's understandable, the other moments are just really puzzling.

I was cruising around in the scooter and the game almost became a slidshow when drving past the entrance tot the survival arena in the Arid Badlands. I came back later and it happened again & again. That's one of the spots it happens every time.

Spirit3 said:

I found some with my trial character (Hunter). I transferred them to a new character (Siren), sold them and now she has a bunch of cash.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Go to level 20 with Mordecai and am done with him as a character. Pretty boring class. Will try Brick or Roland next.

Level 32 and still having a blast as a hunter. No sure what the problem is. Are you not playing to his strengths?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Level 32 and still having a blast as a hunter. No sure what the problem is. Are you not playing to his strengths?
i am. just sniper rifles are boring with the ai considering nearly every enemy ive encountered runs DIRECTLY AT YOU... ill try roland

Blizzard

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
PC Retail is already in stores.. just being held in the back.. so some stores have broken street date for that and those people are mad they can't play it. They are also a bit mad that it was delayed a week yet the console one is out.. they dont understand why they can't play immediately.

Good to see 2K and Gearbox sees this and are working on something possibly.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if SecuROM didn't have a release date coded into it. You have to have an internet connection to activate, I believe, but I think they said there aren't install limits. Still don't know if it requires the disk to be in the drive.

Anyway, I can understand people's frustration if they didn't know it was before release date. As a PC gamer who can download the data off Steam only for it to be encrypted until release, I claim I'm frustrated too. :lol

K' Dash

JambiBum said:
So today while I was working I saw a billboard that said Master Blaster. The sign itself had nothing to do with the game at all but all I could do afterward was think about how I wanted to get home and punch some more shit in the face with Brick.

You don't have to make a new character. You can go back to the spot where you were in your game. As long as you are less than 10 levels ahead of your friend you can play with him all you want. You can go into his game, help him catch back up, and when he leaves go right back to where you were in your game. I'm assuming the guy who answered you just got confused.

If you are in his game and you guys get further ahead of where you were in your game then your game will update your quests. So say you are on a fetch quest in his game and you guys only get 5/10 items and then you stop. Well when you go back to your game you will already have those 5 items. You don't need to worry about making a new character just to play with him unless your +10 levels.

Thank you for the explanation, someone should update the OP with this valuable info.

vhfive

i am. just sniper rifles are boring with the ai considering nearly every enemy ive encountered runs DIRECTLY AT YOU... ill try roland
i also am loving my hunter. level 24 and focusing all my points on bloodwing. my bird will take down 3 enemies before i even fire a shot :D

Go to level 20 with Mordecai and am done with him as a character. Pretty boring class. Will try Brick or Roland next.

If you thought Mordecai was a boring class try Brick or Lilith instead. The Hunter and the Soldier are really the point and shoot classes. They don't go berserk with their fists or become invisible for added depth.

SundaySounds said:
Wait, you can transfer weapons between character files?

1. Create a mule under a different gamer tag
2. Go to split screen mode, drop the weapons, pick it up with the mule and exit.
3. Repeat with the mule and whoever you actually want to give the character to on your primary game tag.

roMonster

TurtleSnatcher said:
For PC Users

Hopefully this means that they'll release the Steam version early.

I'm preloaded and itching to play.

Kintaco said:
I'm going on a cruise on Saturday and was wondering if I needed to be online to play Single Player mode on Steam?

You're going on a cruise and you want to play a game?
albeit a very fun game

Whats wrong with you?

KanZolo

KanZolo said:
I rented it and its pretty fun. better than i thought.

But I won't be playing it anymore because it appears i wasted about 3 hours playing it. I was lvl 16 and joined a co-op game using same character. After 3 hours I left and it saved (timestamp says correct time).

I go back to play single player and nothing saved. So fuck it.

TheFallen said:
If you were behind the progress of the host, your plot missions will not save. You should be the host instead, catch yourself up and then both of you continue from there and it will save for everyone. As explained in the OP.

I wasnt. I wasa level 16 when I started and had already found Sludges Safe House. The host was not as far.

This is all I see in the OP "You'll be able to join friends or have them join you in online co-op games at any time with your persistent characters. "

Blizzard

Banned
KanZolo said:
I wasnt. I wasa level 16 when I started and had already found Sludges Safe House. The host was not as far.

This is all I see in the OP "You'll be able to join friends or have them join you in online co-op games at any time with your persistent characters. "
So you lost all your levels and items? And you didn't power off the system until you had completely exited everything? I had seen one warning that the game saves a lot and if you quit in the middle your save will become corrupted, but that's all I'd heard about losing stuff.

KanZolo

Blizzard said:
So you lost all your levels and items? And you didn't power off the system until you had completely exited everything? I had seen one warning that the game saves a lot and if you quit in the middle your save will become corrupted, but that's all I'd heard about losing stuff.

I exited the game, went downstairs, came back up and went into single player and my save file said the time when I left co-op but nothing saved. Still a level 16.

Blizzard

Banned
KanZolo said:
I exited the game, went downstairs, came back up and went into single player and my save file said the time when I left co-op but nothing saved. Still a level 16.
That's very unfortunate. Guess it's another bug to report to GearBox. :(

KanZolo

Blizzard said:

Yeah it does suck. I fI had bought it I would give it a few days then man up and play it but since I borrowed it, I'm done with it. Until next year when I can get it for cheap.

Maybe it was because I was playing on the half-broken ps3 version.

Blizzard said:

Not a bug. As previously mentioned, when you play co-op, you should be close to the level others playing with you or be doing the same missions. Next time, host a game yourself instead of letting someone else host since they might be a few missions ahead of you and it'll fuck you over.

Top Bottom