• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Teknoman said:
We could not possibly get the games into stores worldwide and out for digital distribution any earlier than planned. Less than 1% of all copies were sold, and if we unlocked the game today, illegal versions would most likely appear on torrents by the evening. I am sure all of you want our PC launch to be as successful as possible, and we simply won't be able to manage that any earlier than already planned.

The bolded kinda doesnt make sense to me...the rest either. I mean most stores still have the PC version either in the back or on shelf, so its not like its not already in stores world wide. Same goes for DD, since that's just easily downloaded.

As for illegal version, wouldnt the same thing happen on the "official" launch date regardless?

They are right though.. GameStop's don't have the PC versions yet in the stores..

So lets say they flicked a switch and allowed it..

That one retailer gets pinged on every single sale elsewhere and they end up losing sales because they changed street dates randomly. They have to be even to the retailers and distributors.

TurtleSnatcher said:
They are right though.. GameStop's don't have the PC versions yet in the stores..

That one retailer gets pinged on every single sale elsewhere and they end up losing sales because they changed street dates randomly. They have to be even to the retailers and distributors.

If there's any reason for it, it's that..but the piracy comments don't make sense at all.

Teknoman

TurtleSnatcher said:

Well thats true, Gamestop fixed the release date today. Cant help but think none of this would've happened if it shared the console version release date though. I think most of the PC version complainers were up in arms since Gearbox said they were holding it back for optimization, yet the game was already in most store warehouses/back rooms around the same time as console launch.

Peronthious said:
If there's any reason for it, it's that..but the piracy comments don't make sense at all.
It does to me.

Lets say they flip the switch.. People would post it on a torrent or something and the impatient people who had a retailer that actually listened to the street date would probably lose patience and download the thing to play it as opposed to just waiting.

Them not unlocking doesn't allow that threat since people who download it will still have to wait anyways.

They tried to see if it was possible and factoring in the retailer note I mentioned above and this.. they came to that conclusion that they couldn't. I mean they are a company.. they have to protect their assets and ensure it sells decently while also maintaing retailer relationships.

It baffles me because lets say this was a MMO with servers and logins etc.. and those didnt open up until 12pm on Monday. If people ran and bitch and moaned that servers werent up and they couldn't log in.. then I'd be a bit perplexed... I mean its equivalent to whining.

Teknoman said:
Well thats true, Gamestop fixed the release date today. Cant help but think none of this would've happened if it shared the console version release date though. I think most of the PC version complainers were up in arms since Gearbox said they were holding it back for optimization, yet the game was already in most store warehouses/back rooms around the same time as console launch.

But we don't even know the optimizations specifically.. Didn't we hear some sort of site to host peoples characters and stuff from the PC versions? Maybe even a Day 1 patch they could still be finalizing?

Either way its 1 weekend.. not the end of the world. :)

Teknoman said:
A company lied to you get over it.

Teknoman

TurtleSnatcher said:
But we don't even know the optimizations specifically.. Didn't we hear some sort of site to host peoples characters and stuff from the PC versions? Maybe even a Day 1 patch they could still be finalizing?

Either way its 1 weekend.. not the end of the world. :)

Its probably just that I got my hopes up for an early release even though I knew it wouldnt happen :lol Eh, gives me a bit more time to study for tests next week.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Got the game yesterday (PS3), put a few hours in. Overall, I'm enjoying it, I love the weapons and I'm starting to feel badass even at level 12 with the weapons and skills I'm building. My biggest disappointment so far was playing online, the lag was really bad. My first attempt was a full game and it was so laggy that it was almost slo-mo at times, really choppy and direct shots would be way off target. On top of that, the actual game was pretty chaotic, I tried to stick with my teammates but everyone was going in different directions and doing different things. I'll be trying again tonight, I just hope that I can have a much better co-op experience with this. Is it always that laggy? Any PS3 owners have good experiences with it?

Snuggler said:
Got the game yesterday (PS3), put a few hours in. Overall, I'm enjoying it, I love the weapons and I'm starting to feel badass even at level 12 with the weapons and skills I'm building. My biggest disappointment so far was playing online, the lag was really bad. My first attempt was a full game and it was so laggy that it was almost slo-mo at times, really choppy and direct shots would be way off target. On top of that, the actual game was pretty chaotic, I tried to stick with my teammates but everyone was going in different directions and doing different things. I'll be trying again tonight, I just hope that I can have a much better co-op experience with this. Is it always that laggy? Any PS3 owners have good experiences with it?
Sounds like you just had a bad game.

I'm playing soldier and am about to ding 16.
Right now I'm frustrated with the cooldown on my turret.
Sooooo...
What is more beneficial with ONE point:
Deploy: -20% (so 80 seconds)
-or-
Refire -1 sec per shot landed per 2 seconds

I am leaning to refire because at least I won't feel so passive about it...

Snuggler said:
Host your own game is my protip

Mudo

I'm going to possibly pick up the 360 version tonight but wanted to know, is the split-screen Co-op any good? I hear lots of ppl playing this online but my roommate wants to play through it with me - reason I ask is I don't normally play anything Co-op and it seems kinda...weird. Otherwise, I might wait and get the PC version and we can both play online instead of in the same room coop..

Mr. Hyde

Anyone know of builds for Mordecai and Lilith that will help compliment each other? My girlfriend and I are using those characters.

vhfive

has anyone gotten a legendary weapon higher than gold. i got a white one.

sorry for the crappy web cam pics

it says:
Level 22
TMP88 FANGED THANATOS
Damage 67
Accuracy 87.2
Fire Rate 8.3
Clip Size 64
191cvs.jpg

2ld8vt4.jpg

The red lettering says: 'Big Tony says "Hi"' most likely because of the size of the clip

Surprise they ran out of copies of the ps3 version at walmart while 360 had like 2-3 copies left. Was going to pick up the 360 version but had to stop myself as i wait for the steam release ;|

EDIT: pictures above. did you take a picture of your mirror reflecting the game? :lol.

Mr. Hyde said:
Anyone know of builds for Mordecai and Lilith that will help compliment each other? My girlfriend and I are using those characters.

Lilith should definitely put a lot of points into the Controller tree. With Lilith dazing everything, sniping should be a lot easier.

Aptos

Just played with some devs... On my second playthrough at level 40.... They were level 13... Hilarity ensued....

vhfive

DMPrince said:
EDIT: pictures above. did you take a picture of your mirror reflecting the game? :lol.
lol the camera on the macbooks does that. and thats the only thing i had on hand (my phone is broken) and im too lazy to correct it.

vhfive

KaYotiX said:
White is the regular guns. Gold named ones are the best
i know that but borderlands groups all the same types together (gold > purple > blue > green > white) so why is this one above the golds. you can see a regular white one at the bottom

Aptos

vhfive said:
has anyone gotten a legendary weapon higher than gold. i got a white one.

The red lettering says: 'Big Tony says "Hi"' most likely because of the size of the clip

Some guns in the game are named after Dev's, they are special, and this is one of them.

EzLink

Banned
God I was so close to going and buying this tonight, but I'm taking the responsible route and saving my money/using my time to get stuff done that is actually important to my life :/

Have fun blasting away mutated fuck faces while I'm doing homework. laundry, errands, and other bland tasks

TheFreshPrince

Played splitscreen for the first time and boy is the interface pretty bad. Having to move around the zoomed in inventory screen is a pain.

Quick co-op question:

I'm level 18 and played with a level 5. This level gap was way too large, both of us dying a ton. What is the difference with the enemies in co-op? Are there more? Are they just stronger at the same level? Or are they all higher level than normal? Or all three?

Thanks!

MMaRsu

WOOHOO my payment with paypal finally fucking cleared. Took forever lol. Now let's see when they ship this bitch out to me ( with ups ). Hope I have it soon! :(

Cant0na

Banned
someone explain the xdamage thing

i have 2 shotguns, one is 79 and x12, the other is 82 and x7, dont know which to pick

so does the first one do 79 times 12 = 948 damage? and the second 82 times 7 = 574?

Victrix

*beard*
that's correct - xwhatever is the number of shots fired per pull of the trigger... SMGs with x4 are fucking amazing

Just compare the weapons - inventory, hit X, move to your current weapon. It'll compare shotgun damage properly.

Don't forget fire rate, reload time, and clip size though, damage isn't everything.

Unicorn

Cant0na said:

i have 2 shotguns, one is 79 and x12, the other is 82 and x7, dont know which to pick

so does the first one do 79 times 12 = 948 damage? and the second 82 times 7 = 574?
The "x12" is how many pellets launch out. So one does 79 damage per pellet and it shoots 12 pellets. So it's better than that 82 x7.

vhfive

Cant0na said:

basically yes. 12 bullets come out of the first one. each bullet does 79 damage so if they all hit it will do 948.

EDIT: beat twice

White Man

I need some help. I'm going to be playing this online, so I want to use my 360 wireless headset. The problem is that for sound, I use surround sound wireless headphones. Is there any ay I could use both the headset and the headphones at the same time, or am I going to have to go hunt for some other cheap sound solution?

If there's no good answer, chances are I will only do multi on PC.

Cant0na

Banned
Victrix said:
that's correct - xwhatever is the number of shots fired per pull of the trigger... SMGs with x4 are fucking amazing

Just compare the weapons - inventory, hit X, move to your current weapon. It'll compare shotgun damage properly.

Don't forget fire rate, reload time, and clip size though, damage isn't everything.

ok, cool.

picking 82x7 cause it has 7 bullet clips (compared 2) and secondary effects

Teknoman

CrookedRain said:
Not on Steam. Steam version unlocks at 12PM PST on Monday.

Ah c'mon seriously? Thats just messed up...

Oh well, i'll be at work anyway, so it'll be ready to go when I get back. Still though, so many different "release" dates for the game.

vhfive

White Man said:
I need some help. I'm going to be playing this online, so I want to use my 360 wireless headset. The problem is that for sound, I use surround sound wireless headphones. Is there any ay I could use both the headset and the headphones at the same time, or am I going to have to go hunt for some other cheap sound solution?

If there's no good answer, chances are I will only do multi on PC.
if you can figure out a way to keep your mic near your mouth (the wired ones you can just drape around your neck) you can change you voice setting so that chat comes out through your speakers (settings > preferences > voice). this will allow you to keep your headphones on and still hear people.

White Man

vhfive said:
if you can figure out a way to keep your mic near your mouth (the wired ones you can just drape around your neck) you can change you voice setting so that chat comes out through your speakers (settings > preferences > voice). this will allow you to keep your headphones on and still hear people.

Oh, nice. That would probably be perfect. The headphones are pretty good at preventing the sound from leaking out of the ear, so hopefully there'd be no feedback or echoing or anything like that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lilith is starting to get really good, god damn. I just need to put a few more points in before I'm dazing from phasewalk(I can already do it through melee). Then I can corrode, daze, electrify, and run away while I get a bunch of health back! And I'm only a level 25. :lol

Teknoman said:
Ah c'mon seriously? Thats just messed up...

Oh well, i'll be at work anyway, so it'll be ready to go when I get back. Still though, so many different "release" dates for the game.
As far as I know, Steam always unlocks new releases at 12PM PST except for the occasional Valve midnight release. Just go to the product page on Steam and it should tell you how much time is left until unlock.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I did a respec of Brick, I've turned him into a Unstoppable force, can take a beating while whopping arse like nobodys business.

Teknoman

CrookedRain said:
As far as I know, Steam always unlocks new releases at 12PM PST except for the occasional Valve midnight release. Just go to the product page on Steam and it should tell you how much time is left until unlock.

Yeah, still 2 days and 19 hrs.

TheFallen

Spruchy, myself, and a GAF lurker :lol just started our second playthrough today. Wow, didn't realize things would ramp up considerably! The first "Kill 5 Skags" mission had a "BadMutha" (harder than Badass) skag come and almost kick all of our asses. Lots of epics and whatnot dropping in the first area. Even bought a legendary on the vendor in fyrestone! So awesome.

Also <3 Bloodwing

Edit: I have over 30 hrs into this game. I'm a sick person. :lol

Papercuts said:
Lilith is starting to get really good, god damn. I just need to put a few more points in before I'm dazing from phasewalk(I can already do it through melee). Then I can corrode, daze, electrify, and run away while I get a bunch of health back! And I'm only a level 25. :lol
Yeah, I'm quite pleased with the way Lilith's turning out for me so far, at level 13.

Top Bottom