• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

leng jai said:
Anyone who thinks Borderlands is GOTY must have some major obsession with loot whoring. Theres no other reason I can think of.

Thanks for that opinion. I'm on my way right now to give my opinion why Uncharted 2 isn't the goty in that official thread.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Admittedly I haven't read this entire thread, but something I'm curious about that maybe some of the current players can help me with.

I'm a huge Diablo II fan, but I've come to realize, over the years, that I didn't enjoy Diablo for it's loot whoring aspects at all. I enjoyed the game mostly because of how deep the skill trees were. I had tons of fun running through the game multiple times trying new and different builds. I wouldn't necessarily min/max either, I'd just settle on a build and try to make it work regardless of how effective it really was. The randomized levels/enemies also helped to keep things fresh on each playthrough.

With all that said, all I've heard about is how fantastic the loot system is in Borderlands, and OMG THE LOOT, etc. I really can't emphasize how much I don't give a fuck about that. Does this game (potentially) have an interesting enough combat/skill-tree system to keep me going?

Opinions, please? :S

Akim

Banned
BreakyBoy said:
Admittedly I haven't read this entire thread, but something I'm curious about that maybe some of the current players can help me with.

I'm a huge Diablo II fan, but I've come to realize, over the years, that I didn't enjoy Diablo for it's loot whoring aspects at all. I enjoyed the game mostly because of how deep the skill trees were. I had tons of fun running through the game multiple times trying new and different builds. I wouldn't necessarily min/max either, I'd just settle on a build and try to make it work regardless of how effective it really was. The randomized levels/enemies also helped to keep things fresh on each playthrough.

With all that said, all I've heard about is how fantastic the loot system is in Borderlands, and OMG THE LOOT, etc. I really can't emphasize how much I don't give a fuck about that. Does this game (potentially) have an interesting enough combat/skill-tree system to keep me going?

I've kinda stopped caring about loot (to a degree) and the game is still awesome, but only if you have friends IMO.

Akim said:
I've kinda stopped caring about loot (to a degree) and the game is still awesome, but only if you have friends IMO.

I agree, it's always exciting to find something new, but playing 4 player coop with friends is amazing.

As for skill trees, it's not as deep as diablo. It does however change the game up. At least for me, I've been playing as a soldier in coop with 2 other soldiers :)lol I know) and we're each doing one of each spec and all play quite differently and complement each other amazingly.

My hunter is quite different when I spec gunslinger vs hunter.

BreakyBoy said:

Since there are four different characters, with very different skill trees you can have plenty of variation in gameplay through multiple playthroughs. I'd say with each character you can have at least two very different playthroughs. So that would pretty much account for at the very least eight play-thru with a decent amount of variation between them.

Nothing like Diablo or WoW but still plenty.

leng jai said:
Anyone who thinks Borderlands is GOTY must have some major obsession with loot whoring. Theres no other reason I can think of.

Or they very much enjoy great gunplay mechanics, weapon variety, co-op multiplayer gaming, and shooting plenty of virtual mans.

BreakyBoy said:

I was thinking about this same thing today. To me, the skill trees aren't that deep. At level 21, I've already reached the end of one "branch" and I guess I'll just start putting points in another branch now. It's not like you really have to decide, I'm going to be an offensive person while sacrificing defensive characteristics. Because eventually, you'd be able to have both. So no, it's not as deep in that respect as a WoW or a Diablo 2.

But to be fair, I'm still loving the game and it's not really because of the loot, either. Thought that helps. Above all else, it's just a fun game.

ALaz502 said:
Since there are four different characters, with very different skill trees you can have plenty of variation in gameplay through multiple playthroughs. I'd say with each character you can have at least two very different playthroughs. So that would pretty much account for at the very least eight play-thru with plenty of variation between them.

Or they enjoy great gunplay mechanics, weapon variety, co-op multiplayer gaming, and shooting plenty of mans.

Right, but if I'm a soldier and you're a soldier, by the time we're level 40 or 45, there isn't going to be much variation in our "builds." (I have a hard time even using that word for it.) At level 20 we could be very different, but by the time we're high level, chances are we'll be pretty similar.

TheFallen

BreakyBoy said:

The skill trees won't offer as much depth as you'd probably like. Most of them slightly enhance current abilities/weapons. They do offer some nice variations on the base character, but not in the way a D2 or WoW characters differ. The gunplay is mostly skill based and while not at the level some Halo/CoD players would like, I find it very solid and enjoyable. The skill trees improve upon it slightly, but only after extensive leveling.

Fleet of Foot said:
Right, but if I'm a soldier and you're a soldier, by the time we're level 40 or 45, there isn't going to be much variation in our "builds." (I have a hard time even using that word for it.) At level 20 we could be very different, but by the time we're high level, chances are we'll be pretty similar.
Not entirely. You can only go down 2 of the 3 trees, and you'll still have missed several great skills on the way. Ie. another player I co-op with is Mordecai as well. However he's Sniper/Rogue while I am Gunslinger/Rogue.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fleet of Foot said:

I don't really agree, though of course I haven't played the game, but just playing around with the skill tree calculators shows quite a bit of variation.

I mean, you get 45 skill points, and maxing everything in the tree would cost 105. Just look at how different someone playing soldier who went full medic (http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000055000005555555) is from a soldier going full infantry (http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01555555550050000000000).

The former would be a healing overlord whose turret was a deployable ammo and health station that also revived downed allies. The latter would be a DPS powerhouse whose turret shot a missile every 4 seconds and 5 extra shots every burst. They share only a single skill between them.

Of course, it'd be silly to claim that it's a D2 level of differentiation.

Papercuts said:

That looks really good, I may mirror that a bit- I like the few skills you have one point in to take advantage of class mods- of course, class mods can as it turns out boost skills over the 5/5 limit, so keep that in mind. I definitely want to max girl power, which you don't have points in. I want my shield to be basically constantly recharging; a lot of the controller path makes Lilith much less dainty than she looks.

Xevren

Yea I really do wish the skill tree's offered more depth for the characters, it's really not as big as other games. Still love the game a lot though and see myself playing it for at least a little while. Worried about how the game will stay entertaining after hitting 50 though, seems like then it will just be about loot with the world not being very challenging for the most part. Here's hoping to good DLC down the line, the zombie island stuff sounds sweet at least.

Zzoram

I am primarily a solitary gamer but I have played and enjoyed many games from every genre. Whenever I do play online games I play co-op, although I did go through a long phase of competitive WC3/SC with my friends in the past. I think there are a lot of gamers like this out there, probably more than there are gamers who like competitive online.

The reason that Uncharted 2 isn't my GOTY is because it isn't much fun to replay the campaign, especially soon after beating it the first time. Finding the treasures was a chore and offered no immediate benefits, and they don't feel like they fit with the pacing of the game. The survival and gold rush modes are fun but I can easily stop playing them like I did Horde and Firefight and never look back. I only beat it a second time because I wanted the Platinum (I got it for Uncharted 1 as well so I wanted them both as a set).

With Borderlands, the campaign is longer, the "one more mission" mmo-style structure is addicting even if it is narratively weak, and I actually want to play the game again for fun, not just for the trophies (but I am going for all the trophies). In Borderlands, it is the gameplay mechanics of the shooting/looting/questing that keep me hooked, not the story telling, so when I've seen the story unfold that won't affect my enjoyment of the game when I replay it.

That said, Borderlands has very clear faults. The skill trees aren't deep enough to result in wildly varied builds by the time you are level 50 (Diablo 2 had a dozen viable builds per character if you didn't need to be able to unlock and solo the Ubers or play Hardcore mode). There appear to be at most 2 viable builds per class, since at level 50 you can make 2 of your 3 skill trees useful by the time you hit the level cap (assuming your mostly passive tree is the one that overlaps). There is no trade screen, so trading goes by honor system and you can't view each other's stuff safely. There isn't enough end-game content. If there were 1-2 optional dungeons that were long and hard, with an uber boss at the end that had 1/1000 chance of dropping one of several super unique items with unique appearance, the game would be much better. Hopefully Borderlands 2 fixes everything. The DLC won't be able to deepen the skill trees or add more visual polish (cmon, water that doesn't splash when you drive through it?) but it could potentially address the lack of end-game content.

Uncharted 2 is a great game, possibly the best game of it's highly scripted and cinematically narrated type. However, it's certainly not going to be as good to every type of gamer. I rate games based on how much fun I have and how much I want to keep playing them. Uncharted 2 is possibly as good as a game can be without RPG/NG+ elements. However, I prefer games with RPG/NG+ elements, so Borderlands might be my GOTY depending on how I feel about Demon's Souls when I get around to unwrapping it.

MMaRsu

Tokubetsu said:
Cool story bro.

feels-good-head-0.png

Borderlands was a very pleasant surprise for me as well. Wasn't anticipating it, but the box on my local Gamestop shelf looked interesting enough for me to take a second look at. I bought it on a whim, and had an asbolute blast of a weekend playing it on co-op with a friend of mine ( splitscreen ). :)

Zzoram

I don't understand the people who say the box looks generic. It's one of the most stylized, unique, and standout boxes in a long time. A generic box would prominantly focus on the hero standing in a warzone or looking over one.

This box features a weak minion bad guy standing in a solid red backdrop with his fingers pointed to his head like a gun, and where the brain splatter would be is a scene from Pandora as if it was an image blasted out of his head. That's damn amazing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I dig it too. It reminded me of like... everything every other shooter cover is not.

Well, except for my Halo 2 collector's edition silver tin case. Still wins best cover design in my book. But that wasn't the official cover art anyway.

Zzoram said:
I don't understand the people who say the box looks generic. It's one of the most stylized, unique, and standout boxes in a long time. A generic box would prominantly focus on the hero standing in a warzone or looking over one.

This box features a weak minion bad guy standing in a solid red backdrop with his fingers pointed to his head like a gun, and where the brain splatter would be is a scene from Pandora as if it was an image blasted out of his head. That's damn amazing.

Yeah, bright red too. It's an amazing box whether you like the game or not. I'd also say the intro (the first time, not the 5th you have to sit through it..) is amazingly well done. The use of music, the bus, the fonts, pretty solid all around.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hawkian said:
That looks really good, I may mirror that a bit- I like the few skills you have one point in to take advantage of class mods- of course, class mods can as it turns out boost skills over the 5/5 limit, so keep that in mind. I definitely want to max girl power, which you don't have points in. I want my shield to be basically constantly recharging; a lot of the controller path makes Lilith much less dainty than she looks.

I feel bad for ignoring Girl Power like that, but I wanted to reduce the cooldown as much as possible ASAP. I'll definitely buff that and phoenix a bit, maybe some more in dramatic entrance since maxing that = 100% chance of daze through phasewalk on equal leveled enemies.

I actually didn't realize the mods would let abilities go above the limit. :lol

Xevren

Papercuts said:
I feel bad for ignoring Girl Power like that, but I wanted to reduce the cooldown as much as possible ASAP. I'll definitely buff that and phoenix a bit, maybe some more in dramatic entrance since maxing that = 100% chance of daze through phasewalk on equal leveled enemies.

I actually didn't realize the mods would let abilities go above the limit. :lol

You should feel bad! Girl power is just too awesome.

Zzoram

I should be doing hw said:
Why is it impossible to find any PC media for this game? All the screens and videos that I can find are of the console versions. I want to see how this looks on PC!

It'll look the same but with better draw distance, AA, AF, vsync, and better frame rate assuming you have a powerful PC. Basically distant textures will be sharper and the game will be smooth as butter without tearing, like every console port running on a high end PC.

Zzoram said:
It'll look the same but with better draw distance, AA, AF, vsync, and better frame rate assuming you have a powerful PC. Basically distant textures will be sharper and the game will be smooth as butter without tearing, like every console port running on a high end PC.
No shit, but I want to see what all that looks like because, to me, the console versions graphics are pretty average.

Zzoram

No shit, but I want to see what all that looks like because, to me, the console versions graphics are pretty average.

I actually like the look quite a bit. It's refreshing to see a game not try to be realistic. In fact, I think that makes the game look better, because it doesn't suffer from the uncanny valley.

Tokubetsu

Zzoram said:

Weren't there some PC shots posted at Shacknews? The biggest difference I saw was AA.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Why is it impossible to find any PC media for this game? All the screens and videos that I can find are of the console versions. I want to see how this looks on PC!
You should see more appearing pretty soon.

Zzoram said:
I actually like the look quite a bit. It's refreshing to see a game not try to be realistic. In fact, I think that makes the game look better, because it doesn't suffer from the uncanny valley.
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the art. It's just that the textures and gun models looked like ass to me.

Shacknews you say? I will go hunting then.
You should see more appearing pretty soon.
Yeah, seeing as it is out now for PC (?) then I'm counting on GAF to take some screens. :D

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
By a random stroke of luck, one of my roommates is picking this up for himself. I guess I'll just try it out.

Thanks everyone for the great responses to my question. In a way, I'm still as wary as I first was, but you certainly gave me a lot of different viewpoints to consider.

Sushen

I don't think a game should be GOTY to be a great game. There are whole bunch of other things mixed in when we consider GOTY other than what it is as a game. Just enjoy the game, guys. It's not like there is actual authority to declare "official GOTY".

teekun

I've noticed a lot of people having trouble finding quest givers when they get the Claptrap notification of new quests. There are little speech bubble icons on your compass that should lead you straight to anyone in the area who can give you quests, if that helps at all.

Zzoram

teekun said:
I've noticed a lot of people having trouble finding quest givers when they get the Claptrap notification of new quests. There are little speech bubble icons on your compass that should lead you straight to anyone in the area who can give you quests, if that helps at all.

Good tip.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I fully expect this game to basically be over at level 50, if PC duping is as easy as it sounds then endgame loot won't have any value. You can shut yourself out from pub play but just the knowledge that everybody is throwing around top end guns like candy will cheapen the experience of loot hunting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't play with them? :-/

I don't really agree that "just the knowledge" will change anything about the play experience. I still won't have an ubergun until I find or trade for one.

It sounds a lot like Diablo 2 to me. Every so often a dude would run into my game and start dropping ludicrous shit. The first time it happened I thought he was just a saint. The second and third and fourth I realized it wasn't legit and just stopped paying attention to them.

EDIT: Also, as far as I know there's no difference in how duping would work PC or console. Maybe it'll be patched somehow, who knows.

TheFallen

Zek said:
I fully expect this game to basically be over at level 50, if PC duping is as easy as it sounds then endgame loot won't have any value. You can shut yourself out from pub play but just the knowledge that everybody is throwing around top end guns like candy will cheapen the experience of loot hunting.
Never killed PSO or any similar game that didn't have characters saved to servers. Do you feel games are cheapened when they have cheat codes? That's all it is. Particularly considering the creative director of Borderlands himself is going around giving away awesome loot. This isn't World of Warcraft man, your experience is not going to be affected by someone having a better gun.

Grecco

Zek said:

Play with friends.

Zek said:

It says a lot more about you than it does about them that you can't enjoy the game because someone, somewhere, might be cheating.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God's Beard, Blizzard, and Tyler, assemble!

6:30PM EST tomorrow. Be there. Bring your A-game.

Btw I know 'sBeard is going soldier and I'm going hunter- you decided yet, Blizzard?

BTW, I have not heard from God's Beard despite multiple attempts to confirm his presence. If he doesn't show, I think somebody else called the spot already; was it Tokubetsu?

Zzoram

Hawkian said:
God's Beard, Blizzard, and Tyler, assemble!

6:30PM EST tomorrow. Be there. Bring your A-game.

Btw I know 'sBeard is going soldier and I'm going hunter- you decided yet, Blizzard?

BTW, I have not heard from God's Beard despite multiple attempts to confirm his presence. If he doesn't show, I think somebody else called the spot already; was it Tokubetsu?

?

Edit: Oh I understand now, I thought you posted in the wrong thread for a moment.

Insaniac

Can anyone confirm if the Hunter skill "Killer" is working properly? I have 1 skill point in it with a +2 boost to it from my class mod, and yet I see no visible difference in reload speed even though the skill at +3 grants a +18% reload speed after I score a kill

Top Bottom