• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God's Beard said:
Lilith has the worst skill tree, but once you've seen her phasewalk, it's all you want. I got jealous as fuck after all the running from place to place I was doing, and her shooting across the map in an instant.

:lol

Every time the car blows up I just phasewalk around and make everyone hate me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Today, I found a 105x7 revolver.

That is all.

Goodnight.

Set-up I'm using:

Level 33 Siren.

1) ATLAS GGN350 Pearl Sniper
Damage: 333
Acc: 95.7
Fire Rate: 0.8
+7% Recoil Reduction
+20% Fire Rate
+25% Damage
+150% Critical Hit Damage
6 Rounds a Mag
(Level Required: 27)

2) VLADOF RWL520/V2 Colossal 'Rocket Launcher
Damage: 708
Acc: 89.0
Fire Rate: 1.3
Highly Effective vs Armor
Chance to Corrode Enemies
+50% Fire rate
1.9 Weapon Zoom
4x Corrosion
2 Rockets
Level 25 Required

3) Maliwan RV11 Incendiary Revolver
Damage: 122
Acc: 89.3
Fire Rate: 1.3
Highly effective vs Flesh
Chance to light enemies on fire
High Elemental Effect chance
1.5x Weapon Zoom
2x Fire element
6 rounds
Level 24 required

4) Patton Atlas
Damage: 264
Acc: 91.7
Fire Rate: 1.9
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
6 clips
Level 27 required

Tediore TOR-OBS Standard Healing Shield:
Capacity: 430
Recharge Rate: 65
Very slow health regen
Level 31 required

Vladof Explosive Proximity Mine:
Grenade Damage: 74
Equip to throw Proximity Mines,
Proximity Mines wait to explode until an enemy gets close.

Tormentor Class Mod
+24% Team Elemental Effect Change
+2% Striking Skill
+21% Team Elemental Effect Damage
Level 19 required and Siren is obviously required.

Of course, now I'm running into enemies that seem to not be effected by anything (even my 707 R.Launcher) now. :|

Zzoram

Rocket launchers seem useless to me. Their splash isn't that big, and they are pretty hard to aim at a distance. Also, given how slowly they shoot, combat rifles seem to deal damage a lot faster.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, launchers have been useless for me so far. The first time I used one, I got the enemy right in my sights, fired it...and pretty much nothing happened. Instead of "holy shit" I was like "Thats it? "

Burger

Well Borderlands for the PC hit the torrents, so once again the buying public get to play it later than the pirates.

Yay for release dates huh ?

*edit, looks like this isn't news.

kylej

Banned
Burger said:
Well Borderlands for the PC hit the torrents, so once again the buying public get to play it later than the pirates.

Yay for release dates huh ?

... what does that have to do with release dates? If they released the game last week it would've been up on torrents last Sunday.

K' Dash

Snuggler said:
Yeah, launchers have been useless for me so far. The first time I used one, I got the enemy right in my sights, fired it...and pretty much nothing happened. Instead of "holy shit" I was like "Thats it? "

Hit detection is fucked up too, I tried shooting at a turret and the shots went through it and splashed in the fucking wall, no damage at all, I had to snipe the fucker, lame.

Maybe they traded the weapon damage to the snipers, I got one that 1 shot explodes people, literally the whole body explodes in to pieces :lol

TheSeks

Snuggler said:

Well, it's mostly the
Crimson Lance
assholes that are fucking annoying me. They aren't being dented, despite the fact my loadout has dented everything else minor/majorly so far. So annoying, esp. now that I'm in the end game (but I didn't get Made in New Heaven? WTF?!) or there about and these dudes are going to be the norm. UGH.

kylej said:
... what does that have to do with release dates? If they released the game last week it would've been up on torrents last Sunday.

It has to do with them not allowing activation of legit purchases after the flood of pirated copies have people playing merrily away. Meanwhile the patient legit buyers get to sit and stare. Not allowing them to play now really is a bush league move. Shows once again DRM fucks the legit customers while the pirates laugh.

K' Dash said:
Hit detection is fucked up too, I tried shooting at a turret and the shots went through it and splashed in the fucking wall, no damage at all, I had to snipe the fucker, lame.

Yeah, hit detection on launchers with multiple rockets especially has been terrible for me.

Blizzard

Banned
kylej said:
Because as was kind of pointed out above, if they had enabled playing the game on Friday/Saturday, when I and some early retail people had it, we could have played before it hit the torrents, instead of waiting. The community rep for 2K gave as an explanation that if they activated it early, it would be up on torrents like two days ago.

Papercuts

TheSeks said:
Well, it's mostly the
Crimson Lance
assholes that are fucking annoying me. They aren't being dented, despite the fact my loadout has dented everything else minor/majorly so far. So annoying, esp. now that I'm in the end game (but I didn't get Made in New Heaven? WTF?!) or there about and these dudes are going to be the norm. UGH.

You don't get made in new haven until you beat the game, I was worried about that too.

Pctx

Banned
Best hand gun I've got...

Purple something or other...
only holds 2 rounds
79 some damage
+150 crits
2x Explosions

:lol

Kid you not... between my sniper rifle with near 200 damage, my bird healing me and this gun... nothing is stopping me. :lol

MrDaravon

Anybody see the secret basement
in New Haven? I can't believe they did a Christmas Story reference in this game :lol
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCZWuPKoqtg

Papercuts said:
You don't get made in new haven until you beat the game, I was worried about that too.

Nope, just most of the achivements in this game are super buggy. I just double-checked, and I got Made In New Haven several achievements before I beat the game. I did NOT get the Millionare achievement (I have about 4 million right now) or the one for doing all of the Rust Commons quests, despite triple checking my quest log against the guide and online. Had to make a new character (went Hunter) to try to get both playing solo only, it seems like doing co-op is what breaks achievements for most people.

TheSeks

Papercuts said:

Oh. *whew*

I thought it was after this "act" like "Made in Fyrestone." At least now I don't have to RUSH RUSH RUSH unless new sidequests pop-up. :lol

I'm up to the "Backdoor" I'm not sure how much further I've got before the vault.

K' Dash

Papercuts said:

Talking about that, is there an Achievement for doing all the mission in Dahl(?) Lands? I think I did all of them and didn't get anything.

Papercuts

K' Dash said:
Talking about that, is there an Achievement for doing all the mission in Dahl(?) Lands? I think I did all of them and didn't get anything.

Not specifically, I'm pretty sure they consider those for New Haven.

Just got a purple shotgun with insane accuracy and zoom, it's a better sniper rifle than my sniper rifle. Amazing how much range on this thing, I'm literally sniping with it now :lol .

Definity

EnjoyIncubus said:
Just lost all my skills points on my level 43.

Guess I'll make a new character. :/
Same thing happened to me yesterday. I tried the quick fix of gaining another level and using the skill point and then doing a respec but it didn't work. 16 hours of game time down the drain for me.

I started a thread over on the gearbox forums about the issue and a few other people have already posted in it describing the issue. You might want to do the same if you find time.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78259

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
K' Dash said:

Maybe they traded the weapon damage to the snipers, I got one that 1 shot explodes people, literally the whole body explodes in to pieces :lol
Thank Zeus for the power of snipers. Soon after getting to the 2nd area, I found it was a lot more effective for me to ditch the vehicle and just snipe mad mel's buggies. 4 shots from a distance and they were done.
Just got a purple shotgun with insane accuracy and zoom, it's a better sniper rifle than my sniper rifle. Amazing how much range on this thing, I'm literally sniping with it now .
I found a shotty with a scope, but I sold it, I guess I'm just not ready for a sniping shotgun. It felt funny.

Are some of the achievements glitched? I have 25 kills with explosive, incendiary and shock weapons but only the explosive achievement.

Snuggler said:
I found a shotty with a scope, but I sold it, I guess I'm just not ready for a sniping shotgun. It felt funny.

I've had quite a few with scopes, but none with this much accuracy, which is what makes all the difference.

K' Dash

Snuggler said:
Thank Zeus for the power of snipers. Soon after getting to the 2nd area, I found it was a lot more effective for me to ditch the vehicle and just snipe mad mel's buggies. 4 shots from a distance and they were done. I found a shotty with a scope, but I sold it, I guess I'm just not ready for a sniping shotgun. It felt funny.

Fucking mad mel killed me once and when I got there again, I simply took my sniper with the exploding mod and killed the bastard from distance, I don't know about you, but geting in there with the car is suicide, thank God they can get killed without eve being near them.

Are the issues with audio on the PS3 only when using optical audio or will it occur when connected via HDMI as well?

Any other major problems with the PS3 version?

this game looks great even if a little buggy.

K' Dash

Definity said:
Same thing happened to me yesterday. I tried the quick fix of gaining another level and using the skill point and then doing a respec but it didn't work. 16 hours of game time down the drain for me.

I started a thread over on the gearbox forums about the issue and a few other people have already posted in it describing the issue. You might want to do the same if you find time.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78259

Wow, I was reading that and if that happened to me I'd inmediately take it back to the store, too much time and effort invested in my character to see it just vanish, I hope there's a patch in the works.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
K' Dash said:
Fucking mad mel killed me once and when I got there again, I simply took my sniper with the exploding mod and killed the bastard from distance, I don't know about you, but geting in there with the car is suicide, yhank God I they can get killed without eve being near them.
Yep, I ended up in this retarded stalemate with him where we were both driving in a circle after eachother, going around again and again. The vehicle combat is kind of borked but after getting his health down. I bailed out and killed him with 6 or 7 revolver blasts.

teekun

Calavera520 said:
Are the issues with audio on the PS3 only when using optical audio or will it occur when connected via HDMI as well?

I've experienced some weirdness with voice chat on the PS3, and there seems to be a lot of people complaining about it on Gearbox's forums. I haven't played enough online to know how common it is, though.

Red

Just checked Steam and misread my games list, thought Borderlands said "100% - Ready." Got so excited, then realized my mistake. Wrong game. Gotta stop obsessing about it :lol

Aptos

TheSeks said:
Well, it's mostly the
Crimson Lance

You need to use
corrosive
weapons on the
crimson lance
, they are especially vulnerable to it.

Blizzard

Banned
Weenerz said:
When are they activating it? 3am pst?
Steam is supposed to "activate" at 12 noon pst, at which point people can start unencrypting it, hoping the verification servers are active, and we'll see if there's a day-1 patch etc.

bengraven

You'd think that with digital distribution we'd have the benefit of midnight launches.

Blizzard said:
Wow, it's not even unlocked on retail yet. That sucks. The delay didn't even stop it?

I hope to God there are massive flaws in the pirated version.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Pctx

Banned
Calavera520 said:

Yes. Quite a few people (including myself) are having problems with audio cutting in and out. Haven't tested straight up HDMI, only optical.

Framerate hiccups every now and then but no worse than the 360 version.

bengraven said:
You'd think that with digital distribution we'd have the benefit of midnight launches.

I hope to God there are massive flaws in the pirated version.

This is why we can't have nice things.

It makes me wonder though... Randy said the game needed "further optimization" for the PC hence the 1 week delay.

If people have been pre-loading the bitch since what... Tuesday... why not just release the damn thing and be done with it?

Also--- Steam not unlocking at Midnight the day of release is a really stupid company policy. Might double-dip with the Steam version next year but I am enjoying the PS3 version just fine.

B-Dex

Really lame we can't play until tomorrow afternoon. Yet the pirates have been enjoying it for a full day almost.

And GG Gearbox with the nazi-like forum bans. Paying customers have a right to complain about getting screwed over.

Blizzard

Banned
B-Dex said:
And GG Gearbox with the nazi-like forum bans. Paying customers have a right to complain about getting screwed over.
Oh man, I didn't even see that happening. I hope that it's just people being obnoxious and not people actually giving detailed bug reports? Apparently there's some web form you can also use to submit a bug report besides making a forum thread/post...

Akim

Banned
B-Dex said:
Really lame we can't play until tomorrow afternoon. Yet the pirates have been enjoying it for a full day almost.

complaining about getting screwed over = talking about piracy?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have heard of some pretty epic and useful late-game rocket launchers on the Gearbox forums, so maybe they get better?

*shrug* I know I'll be trying the first one I get even if it sucks. :lol

L4D2 retakes Borderlands as #1 on Steam for the moment. How much you want to fucking bet that it's because Borderlands was just taken out of the deal-slideshow-thing on the home page today (in favor of Tropico? TROPICO???) while L4D2 remains there.

Oh well. I'm still psyched about seeing the sales numbers for this'un. I think Gearbox is quite pleased.

EDIT: As noted above, bans on the Gearbox forum (well, that I saw, I check it pretty frequently) were only for explicitly discussing piracy/stating you might just pirate the game because you were so pissed/being a general tardsaur. No bans have taken place regarding those simply complaining or posting bug reports.

Papercuts

Yeah, the rockets are weird here. I even had a static rocket launcher that did 900ish damage, yet when I shot 2-3 at a turret it only hit once and it did pretty shit damage. I then just phasewalked behind it which destroyed it completely, so yeah. Even the shotguns that shoot rockets kinda suck...maybe it's different if you're Brick, but eh.

I've got a level 28 Siren. Here's what I'm rocking right now

TD240 Combustion Hellfire [orange]

Magazine size 55

Damage 47
Accuracy 83.3
Fire Rate 8.3

We don't need no water... [red text]
3.9 Weapon Zoom

HX 140 Double Anarchy [purple]

magazine size 82

Damage 39x4
Accuracy 31.7
Fire rate 12.5

+20% reload speed
+ 54 magazine size

DVL Fearsome Volcano [orange]

Magazine size 6

Damage 299
Accuracy 96.7
Fire rate 0.7

Pele demands a sacrifice [red text]
High elemental effect chance

EQ10 Static Equalizer [yellow]

Magazine size 6

Damage 120
Accuracy 86.4
Fire Rate 1.9

Highly effective vs shields
Chance to electrocute enemies
Unending firepower [red text]
+52% reload speed

It also has a scope but it doesn't say.

I love elemental guns so much. I wish I had a shock SMG with a "very high elemental effect chance." All those little explosions would look so cool.

Hawkian said:
How much you want to fucking bet that it's because Borderlands was just taken out of the deal-slideshow-thing on the home page today (in favor of Tropico? TROPICO???) while L4D2 remains there.
You aren't looking hard enough. It's still there.

Papercuts

Are the bugs really vulnerable to corrosion or something? Holy christ, my Lilith is doing 1300+ with a single melee hit on them.

Top Bottom