• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
CrookedRain said:
You aren't looking hard enough. It's still there.

In order, I see: Tropico, Torchlight, Dragon Age, L4D2, Aion, Ai War, Eufloria, Op. Flashpoint, Machinarium.

:-?

teekun

B-Dex said:
Really lame we can't play until tomorrow afternoon. Yet the pirates have been enjoying it for a full day almost.

And GG Gearbox with the nazi-like forum bans. Paying customers have a right to complain about getting screwed over.

How are you getting screwed over by having to wait until the release date that was announced weeks ago? Just because someone stole it and is playing it early doesn't make you a horribly disadvantaged customer. You're still getting what you paid for, on the date you agreed to get it at when you paid for it.

Aaron

Papercuts said:
Yeah, the rockets are weird here. I even had a static rocket launcher that did 900ish damage, yet when I shot 2-3 at a turret it only hit once and it did pretty shit damage. I then just phasewalked behind it which destroyed it completely, so yeah. Even the shotguns that shoot rockets kinda suck...maybe it's different if you're Brick, but eh.
There are definitely good launchers and bad ones. First I got was basically worthless, but the one I have now does serious damage (remember to aim at the feet). Reload times though make it not really worth it compared to a shotty.

Hawkian said:
In order, I see: Tropico, Torchlight, Dragon Age, L4D2, Aion, Ai War, Eufloria, Op. Flashpoint, Machinarium.

:-?
It seems to change for me almost every time I refresh. There's sets of ads without L4D2 also.

B-Dex

teekun said:
How are you getting screwed over by having to wait until the release date that was announced weeks ago? Just because someone stole it and is playing it early doesn't make you a horribly disadvantaged customer. You're still getting what you paid for, on the date you agreed to get it at when you paid for it.

The fact it has been available in shops for PC since yesterday yet still unable to be played is cool with you?

Yet some jackass can dl it online and be playing it now without having spent any money and the companies involved just try to sweep it under the rug like it's nothing? OK.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
CrookedRain said:
It seems to change for me every couple of minutes.

Whoa. Okay. I take it all back. It changes all the time. I just refreshed to see still no Borderlands, but a totally different order and it included Killing Floor.

Then another refresh, and Borderlands in the 8th slot. Sorry Steam! Your ways are higher than I.

EDIT: B-Dex, some customers have had the game, retail since Friday, and been unable to play it. Street dates were broken. That said, your rage might be misplaced.. All 2K did was stick to the release dates they had established for weeks, which, for the retail PC, was an hour ago. I think your problem is with SecuROM in general, which I hate as well. But I don't think there was much to be done in this case but try to calm the masses. It sucks to wait, but just imagine if you were a European Steam player. :p

Akim

Banned
B-Dex said:
The fact it has been available in shops for PC since yesterday yet still unable to be played is cool with you?

Yet some jackass can dl it online and be playing it now without having spent any money and the companies involved just try to sweep it under the rug like it's nothing? OK.

You are really not smart. People are going to pirate, often before the release date. Deal with it.

edit:
2iiu8t1.jpg

ashism

B-Dex said:

From what I read on gearbox forums, it is out for retail. You can stop posting and complaining and start playing. Weeeeee

Zertez

TheSeks said:
Set-up I'm using:

Level 33 Siren.

1) ATLAS GGN350 Pearl Sniper
Damage: 333
Acc: 95.7
Fire Rate: 0.8
+7% Recoil Reduction
+20% Fire Rate
+25% Damage
+150% Critical Hit Damage
6 Rounds a Mag
(Level Required: 27)

2) VLADOF RWL520/V2 Colossal 'Rocket Launcher
Damage: 708
Acc: 89.0
Fire Rate: 1.3
Highly Effective vs Armor
Chance to Corrode Enemies
+50% Fire rate
1.9 Weapon Zoom
4x Corrosion
2 Rockets
Level 25 Required

3) Maliwan RV11 Incendiary Revolver
Damage: 122
Acc: 89.3
Fire Rate: 1.3
Highly effective vs Flesh
Chance to light enemies on fire
High Elemental Effect chance
1.5x Weapon Zoom
2x Fire element
6 rounds
Level 24 required

4) Patton Atlas
Damage: 264
Acc: 91.7
Fire Rate: 1.9
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
6 clips
Level 27 required

Tediore TOR-OBS Standard Healing Shield:
Capacity: 430
Recharge Rate: 65
Very slow health regen
Level 31 required

Vladof Explosive Proximity Mine:
Grenade Damage: 74
Equip to throw Proximity Mines,
Proximity Mines wait to explode until an enemy gets close.

Tormentor Class Mod
+24% Team Elemental Effect Change
+2% Striking Skill
+21% Team Elemental Effect Damage
Level 19 required and Siren is obviously required.

Of course, now I'm running into enemies that seem to not be effected by anything (even my 707 R.Launcher) now. :|
Find a good SMG with elemental damage and a Sniper rifle with good elemental damage as well. Sirens dont have a specialty in a certain weapon type, but I have had the best luck using SMGs. Between Transfusion grenades and Phasewalk, I mowed later enemies down without many deaths. Corrosive mods are especially nasty. Fighting later enemies up close with a revolver or shotgun can be deadly.

Insaniac

what is effective against those armored skags? only fire? also Skagzilla, is there any element worth using on him or is critical-ing him pretty much your only bet?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aye, retail out, Steam: in 14 Hours LET THE GAMES BEGIN ANEW

Can't believe there are consoleheads already at level 50 :-x

Time for rest. Tomorrow, THE BORDERLANDS AWAIT

Aaron said:
There are definitely good launchers and bad ones. First I got was basically worthless, but the one I have now does serious damage (remember to aim at the feet). Reload times though make it not really worth it compared to a shotty.
Yeah I have one I've been using for a while that unloads it's entire 5 round clip with a pull of the trigger. :lol

teekun

Insaniac said:
what is effective against those armored skags? only fire? also Skagzilla, is there any element worth using on him or is critical-ing him pretty much your only bet?

I just went for criticals. It's pretty easy to do if you run around and wait for him to do that breath attack that leaves his mouth open for quite a while.

K' Dash

Insaniac said:

I tried shock, acid, fire and explosive and nothing seemed to do much damage, he's a bullet sponge, easy tho.

teekun

B-Dex said:

None of that explains how you have been "screwed over" as a customer as long as you get your game on the date that you knew it was coming out on when you paid for it.

Blizzard

Banned
Akim said:
I have tried to point this out like three times, and I'll say it one final time: The issue isn't that there are pirates (there always are), but that customers had the game legally like two days ago (via early retail, apparently, and via Steam preload). LEGAL customers could have played it then.

But, and this is the second key point, 2K Elizabeth, the community rep (who posted here as well), basically said that one of the reasons they didn't/couldn't activate early was that pirates would have it torrented on like Friday night. And yet, delaying activation didn't stop the pirates from having it on a torrent.

So, the upshot is that not allowing the customers who ALREADY had the game legally to play, means the pirates got to play early. It's not the normal case where customers don't have it at all and pirates can play early. Maybe 2K feels that more copies would have been pirated if they'd activated it early though, and that's their choice. *shrug*

Blizzard said:
Oh man, I didn't even see that happening. I hope that it's just people being obnoxious and not people actually giving detailed bug reports? Apparently there's some web form you can also use to submit a bug report besides making a forum thread/post...
They are locking threads that are posted in the wrong forum or trash talking devs.. Not criticizing.. Though they are wanting those topics that criticize the release of PC being on the street date in 1 thread..

Makes sense..

B-Dex is just being a drama queen.

I have tried to point this out like three times, and I'll say it one final time: The issue isn't that there are pirates (there always are), but that customers had the game legally like two days ago (via early retail, apparently, and via Steam preload). LEGAL customers could have played it then.

But, and this is the second key point, 2K Elizabeth, the community rep (who posted here as well), basically said that one of the reasons they didn't/couldn't activate early was that pirates would have it torrented on like Friday night. And yet, delaying activation didn't stop the pirates from having it on a torrent.

So, the upshot is that not allowing the customers who ALREADY had the game legally to play, means the pirates got to play early. It's not the normal case where customers don't have it at all and pirates can play early. Maybe 2K feels that more copies would have been pirated if they'd activated it early though, and that's their choice. *shrug*

You also have to factor in the retailer part.. if they allowed it.. then everyone would rush to those retailers breaking street dates.. thus fudging over the retailers who actually listened to the street date but now suddenly lose sales. They gotta stay fair on all sides.

K' Dash said:
I tried shock, acid, fire and explosive and nothing seemed to do much damage, he's a bullet sponge, easy tho.
Hes highly resistant or takes 0 dmg from like fire/corrosive/thunder.. Explosive though he takes a decent amount of dmg from..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Snuck around the
Crimson
assholes. Finally, the last mission. I got "Made in New Heaven" before this point. (You need all the missions up until
"Find Steele"
done)

Now it's a matter of leveling up until 40 (Since I'm like... 33-35 off the top of my sleep-deprived head) so I can kick their ass. :lol

Oh, and alien weapons suck or something. I have a... 808 or something damage weapon, but it has a 0.4 firespeed. It's damaging (when it hits, damn hit-detection) but so slow. So it can't be my "go to" weapon (since it has inf. ammo) but it's good for the gatts if I can find some cover.

Oh and got fully loaded as well. w00t.

>>Someone telling me about SMGs<<

I have elemental SMGs. Yes, they're the go-to for Sirens. The problem is mine have fallen by the wayside since I haven't ran into any elemental weapons above 50 damage since Act 1 ended. So...

EDIT EDIT: And no, I'm not saying I want some unbroken ZOMG 800 damage SMG. But when your damage isn't putting a noticable dent into enemies while the rest of your party is eating through enemies like they're at an all-you-can-eat-buffet, you know SMGs are a problem/weakness.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TheSeks said:
Snuck around the
Crimson
assholes. Finally, the last mission. I got "Made in New Heaven" before this point. (You need all the missions up until
"Find Steele"
done)

Now it's a matter of leveling up until 40 (Since I'm like... 33-35 off the top of my sleep-deprived head) so I can kick their ass. :lol

Oh, and alien weapons suck or something. I have a... 808 or something damage weapon, but it has a 0.4 firespeed. It's damaging (when it hits, damn hit-detection) but so slow. So it can't be my "go to" weapon (since it has inf. ammo) but it's good for the gatts if I can find some cover.

I have elemental SMGs. Yes, they're the go-to for Sirens. The problem is mine have fallen by the wayside since I haven't ran into any elemental weapons above 50 damage since Act 1 ended. So...

EDIT EDIT: And no, I'm not saying I want some unbroken ZOMG 800 damage SMG. But when your damage isn't putting a noticable dent into enemies while the rest of your party is eating through enemies like they're at an all-you-can-eat-buffet, you know SMGs are a problem/weakness.

That's weird...I didn't get Made in New Haven until I literally beat the final boss.

I've been rocking a corrosive shotgun and non elemental assualt rifle that I picked up on the first playthrough, they still eat through enemies on play 2.

KAP151

Finished first playthrough this morning.

Lvl 34 Rolandoooooo.

Second playthrough is the shit. Enemies are rock solid and charge at you. Far more aggressive. Can't wait to 4 player this sucker.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow so a fully pirated version is now online, completely online play compatible. Good thing you delayed it a week there 2K, you sure showed them.

Sinatar said:
Wow so a fully pirate versiond is now online, completely online play compatible. Good thing you delayed it a week there 2K, you sure showed them.

The 360 version was up online the week before release, so that is even worse... no point in getting pissed of at anything pirate related ever

Keyser Soze said:
The 360 version was up online the week before release, so that is even worse... no point in getting pissed of at anything pirate related ever

Yeah... lame shit is lame.

Either way, tomorrow I'm gonna play the SHIT out of this game.

Can't wait :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Keyser Soze said:
The 360 version was up online the week before release, so that is even worse... no point in getting pissed of at anything pirate related ever.

I'm not pissed that it's pirated (ok well a little, I hate thieves) but I'm pissed that the reason 2K gave for the week delay on the PC version was to curb piracy.

Firehead

Sinatar said:
I'm not pissed that it's pirated (ok well a little, I hate thieves) but I'm pissed that the reason 2K gave for the week delay on the PC version was to curb piracy.
Weh, it's more of the generic response as to why a PC version of a game was delayed, 'eh?

Dipper145

I just hit level 33, and I just found this great alien shotgun. It does like 112x12
It makes this thunder sound every time it shoots, and the red text says something like
"Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice, but it can strike freaking everywhere!"

It's such a great weapon for taking down bosses, especially since I'm Lilith I just phase up to them and blast them and they die. The only bad thing is it has like 3-4 shots then you have to wait for it to recharge a bit, similar to all the other alien weaponry I've found so far.

I know I'm near the end of the game, but I can't wait for the next play through. I am so loving this game.

FooTemps

All I have to say is that the 12:00PM PST release on steam is the WORST IDEA EVER.

I would have swallowed my pride, gone to game stop, AND paid the extra 10 dollars per person just so I could play before noon classes.

Beat the game. The last bit was ridiculously easy with the Hunter class. Trespass really makes a huge difference at that point. Started second playthrough. Everything is way tougher.

I caved and bought it on steam, pre-loading now. I like pretty much everything i've seen of the game so decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. Look forward to some co-op with GAF group.

Can't wait to see how this looks/runs on my new 5850. :D

TheFallen

Dipper145 said:
I just hit level 33, and I just found this great alien shotgun. It does like 112x12
It makes this thunder sound every time it shoots, and the red text says something like
"Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice, but it can strike freaking everywhere!"

It's such a great weapon for taking down bosses, especially since I'm Lilith I just phase up to them and blast them and they die. The only bad thing is it has like 3-4 shots then you have to wait for it to recharge a bit, similar to all the other alien weaponry I've found so far.

I know I'm near the end of the game, but I can't wait for the next play through. I am so loving this game.
The good thing about that is if you raise your alien weapon proficiency enough, the recharge rate isn't bad.

K' Dash said:
lol not at level 18

fortunately he got caught on a corner or something and stood still for me to shoot for like 6 minutes until he died ;p

Wish I checked gaf before waiting up til 1 hoping that Borderlands would be released on Steam. At least my pre-loading finished now, but I feel like a dick for making my friends stay up with me. At least tomorrow will be fun.

gillty

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
Wish I checked gaf before waiting up til 1 hoping that Borderlands would be released on Steam. At least my pre-loading finished now, but I feel like a dick for making my friends stay up with me. At least tomorrow will be fun.
steam releases are almost always at 12pm PT

Zertez

TheSeks said:
Snuck around the
Crimson
"Find Steele"
done)

If you cant run Old Haven, try running Krom's Canyon a few times. You will find almost any weapon you may need. Kroms Canyon has a ton of chests, easy enemies, and drops seem good. At level 36 with 18 in SMG proficiency and a decent elemental SMG, I can drop most
Crimson
in 3 or 4 good hits.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, I just had a 5 hour co-op session, this game is like crack. I'm level 25 with level 11 pistol proficiency, I love revolvers and now I can waste large groups of doods with them. Also, I have a thing that gives bloodwing corrosive damage so now he melts peoples faces, which is pretty cool. Love this fuckin game, it keeps getting better and better.

Shoogoo

I went on a server with my lvl3 siren to get some friend's weapon he wanted to swap to another char and by the time we made the exchange, the two other guys cashed some high end quest and I gained three levels, wtf?

That's kind of broken, I can't imagine how much people are abusing with powerleveling

Lord Phol

After a weekend of wasteland skrag incinerating and loot mayhem on the PS3, here are my impressions so far.

My first take on this game was what with a friend (who I suspected wouldn't enjoy it that much) next to me in the couch a late night past twelve, both of us a bit drowsy but thinking we should give it a shot.
As the game started I hit the loo and my friend was left watching Claptrap running around the menu, which he enjoyed, so far so good.
We start a splitscreen session, the intro is nice, we laugh, the hype rises as we are introduced to the 4 different characters. I quickly go for the Hunter and my friend ends up picking Roland

As the we take control of our characters the first thing we notice to our dismay is the vertical split and the none existance of a horizontal option (in this day and age?), a "meh" leaves our lips as we disregard the issue and start fiddeling around with the controls and what does what.
Somehow we end up in a duel (perhaps because we both spontaneously felt the urge to bash in one and anothers face with meele at about the same time), leaving me with about 20 hp and my friend with 40.
Thus making the first encounters just minutes away looking like something out of the Omaha Beach-landing. But having played games even before we could walk (not really) our superior skills netted us some level ups, guns and a "yay.." from Zed the doctor as we liberate the town.

So far it's been a enjoyable ride and my friends comments as he gunned down bandits after bandits were positive. The time ticks on as we gain levels, open up more variety for customization and get a few laughs out of the silliness of the game. Mister
3 balls
has us almost rolling on the floor :lol , and an encounter with a Badass skrag 3+ levels above us really gets us into the game.

So about 2-3 hours later, too tired to barely hold on to the controller we call it a day. And with that a great co-op session of borderlands ends.

After experiencing splitscreen co-op, online and single player I gotta say this games does itself best when played with a buddy next to ya. Single player can get pretty tedious after awhile and online can be a mess. BUT, those times when you get into a great group, with people your level, who understands the game and you have a constant flow going on it's great.
So as many games like this, the enjoyment of the game will depend on what people you play with (and how much/little you lag).

All in all, Borderlands is fun and the humour and style is great. But it's IMO very rough around the edges. The PS3 versions is far from optimal with fps drops and even 1-2 seconds of freezing every now and then. Somewhat bonked online, minor bugs here and there, somewhat lack of customization, variety in skills and shallow talents.
But it's a great beginning, and I feel that with all the attention and postitive comments this game is getting, the sequel will be something to behold, if the developers focus on the right things.

Alex

So, Im reading that retails PC folks can play now? If we got any folks here with it, I wanna see some screens!

pubba

This game is fucking awesome. It's the best game since Bioshock.

It's like Gearbox came to my house and said 'Tell us the perfect game' and they went away and built it. Fantastic stuff :D

Can't wait to try some co-po.

Top Bottom