• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Mr YuYu

Shoogoo said:
I went on a server with my lvl3 siren to get some friend's weapon he wanted to swap to another char and by the time we made the exchange, the two other guys cashed some high end quest and I gained three levels, wtf?

That's kind of broken, I can't imagine how much people are abusing with powerleveling

Very true, I hate that aspect.

I was having trouble with a certain enemy. Died a few times. Then all of a sudden a level 47 dude come in my game and kills him with 2 shots....

Whats the fun in that?

Other than that i love this game. I'll play the shit out of it untill MW2 comes out and than i'll trade it for another game.

anyone else find that the achievements are really easy? Got almost 500 points with only 7hours playtime.

Blizzard

Banned
Firestorm said:
Wait, I'm going to have to use nHancer to get AA? Ugh, I hate Unreal 3.
It's not the Unreal Engine 3's fault, it's the devs if they disabled it (whyyyyyy?). Mirror's Edge supported AA.

And is there any option for AA with ATI cards?

Questions for everyone else:

1. Do you have to go through some sort of tutorial stuff before you start playing online, like to get your initial Mordecai Bloodwing skill, or can you just load up the game and start playing co-op? I need to know if I have to complete a mission or two before joining up with my three co-op people.

2. If I start from the VERY beginning with people, am I understanding correctly that mainline quest missions won't share, and the people not hosting don't even see the quest text? And in other words, if four people start from the beginning of the game, they should ONLY try to do side quest missions and not main quest missions, otherwise the three not hosting won't get credit for any missions that required prerequisites at all? Is there an easy way to determine mainline quest missions so we know which to avoid? (the ones with the holographic woman?)

3. Is there any way to host a friends-only game, or if I do an online game am I at the mercy of whatever (pirate or not) person decides to join?

Lord Phol

xxjuicesxx said:
On default I think its holding A on a target.
Guess that is X on the Dual Shock, thanks!

Blizzard said:
Questions for everyone else:

1. Do you have to go through some sort of tutorial stuff before you start playing online, like to get your initial Mordecai Bloodwing skill, or can you just load up the game and start playing co-op? I need to know if I have to complete a mission or two before joining up with my three co-op people.

2. If I start from the VERY beginning with people, am I understanding correctly that mainline quest missions won't share, and the people not hosting don't even see the quest text? And in other words, if four people start from the beginning of the game, they should ONLY try to do side quest missions and not main quest missions, otherwise the three not hosting won't get credit for any missions that required prerequisites at all? Is there an easy way to determine mainline quest missions so we know which to avoid? (the ones with the holographic woman?)
1. The beginning of the game plays out like a small tutorial, but you all start at the same spot right after the intro movie ends, so YES. You don't get your character specific skill untill level 5 though.
I also advice you to turn off the "help message window" it's highly annoying and doesn't contribute much unless u've NEVER played an fps before.

2. Not sure about this one but I believe that if you all start at the same time there shouldn't be any trouble following the main plot and quests for all of you. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the host is the one who has to finnish most of the main quests (like pushing a button to open a gate). And from what I've noticed is that the one turning in the quest is the one who gets the reward item, don't know if that's intentional or not.
But all quests are shared for everyone automatically and I'm 90% sure that you all get the exp and the "completed" mark for them no matter who turns them in.

(This is all taking in consideration that you are all at about the same levels.)

3. Yes at least on the PS3 you can either host a Public or Private game (you can also as the host, invite your friends into a game and kick others).

Blizzard

Banned
Also as a sidenote to my questions, looking at the official forums, apparently people are saying the PC version doesn't have better textures than PS3/360, does have texture loading/popin maybe, and doesn't have AA (maybe due to lighting) unless you can force MSAA or something. Who knows.

2.jpg

Lord Phol

Blizzard said:
Also as a sidenote to my questions, looking at the official forums, apparently people are saying the PC version doesn't have better textures than PS3/360, does have texture loading/popin maybe, and doesn't have AA (maybe due to lighting) unless you can force MSAA or something. Who knows.

Looks about the same to me, I can tell you though it will certainly run better :p.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Of course you can force AA. LUDICROUS for it not to be included in the display settings of a modern game, but whatever, grab nHancer or use the Nvidia control panel. I'll post shots once I sink my teeth into it, fear not.

Chorazin

Yeah, that screen looks pretty much like my PS3 copy.

Which I am having an excellent time with, I must say. I only got interested in the game after hearing them talk about it at GiantBomb, and since Best Buy's B2G1 was this week, I figured what the hell. I'm digging the "Half-life HUD & combat meets Fallout 3-ish enemies & humor meets Diablo loot whoring" vibe a lot.

JudgeN

Are their any benchmarks out there for borderlands? Wondering what kind of FPS I will get with my 4870 512 megs.

O my looking at the list of PS3 version problems on the gearbox forum, is it really that broken?

Blizzard

Banned
Hawkian said:
Of course you can force AA. LUDICROUS for it not to be included in the display settings of a modern game, but whatever, grab nHancer or use the Nvidia control panel. I'll post shots once I sink my teeth into it, fear not.
You people keep mentioning nHancer, but does that work for ATI cards too? Is it one of those annoying installs that requires messing with the system and unsigned drivers and stuff?

And yeah, people were saying it looked about the same or worse than the 360 version except for the larger resolution. In fact the 360 version kinda looked better to me on the evilgamer stream, but it was lower resolution so it was like automatic anti-aliasing...also seemed to always run really smoothly there.

I only have a 4850 512MB and a 3GHz e8400, so I'm guessing I won't get high settings performance either? :|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, didn't get Pandora-dog Millionare, because I wasn't the host.

So stupid an oversight to not see this, Gearbox. :|

Finished the game at level 35 with three others. Last boss is easy-peasy with
THE HUGE FUCKING EYEBALL THAT IS A CRITICAL LIKE THE EYES ON THE HIVE OF RACKS

Too bad my weapons aren't denting for shit. I dunno if turning the Second Playthrough option would give me better loot for the headache. Because frankly I can just EXP grind off enemies here (despite the fact that I'm barely getting 1-2EXP. Maybe 100. Sometimes 1000EXP). :|

My alien prof. is like level 05 or so. Cooldown reduction is nice, but it's still inaccurate as hell.

What an awesome game, it's been a very long time since I enjoyed a new console (ie. not handheld) game this much (well, except Vesperia). Great shooting, good loot and nice character leveling up. Level 33 atm and just killed the
rakk (sp?) hive
with an incendiary rocket launcher with a damage rating of about 800, so I guess it's not long before I can start a new game+. Anyway, what's the level cap in this game? 50?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hawkian said:
You sure about that? There are a few UE3 games out there that do not function with AA at all. Stranglehold, for instance, does not support any form of AA even with the use of nHnacer. It simply does not work. I can't imagine a late 2009 UE3 release missing such features, but the possibility certain exists.

TheSeks

Tenkai Star said:
Is the PS3 online working properly now?

It's been working proper for me since I rented the game on Friday. :/

Of course, if you're going for Pandora-dog Millionare DON'T HIT THE FUCKING LIMIT WHILE YOU ARE NOT HOST. Apparently Gearbox are idiots and forgot to check "Reached a million? DING!" achievement/trophy unlocked for the other players. Which means don't do the final mission before that point because it'll easily top you over that. :|

Now I'm trying to see if my save-back-up/re-put-on-PS3 item selling on another character that is hosting (and hasn't reached the million) will unlock it so I can go back to my climb to level 50. These three achievements are all I have left from Platinum/1000gs.

Calavera520 said:
Are the issues with audio on the PS3 only when using optical audio or will it occur when connected via HDMI as well?

Any other major problems with the PS3 version?

this game looks great even if a little buggy.

I'm thinking this might be the problem. If anything, the audio hitching is making me feel the game is stuttering/framey when it is not. I'm using the optical out. I can only get sorround sound that way, since the hdmi--->optical out from my tv is only 2 channel (or pro logic 2, not 5.1).

I'll check it out tonight and see if there is imporvement. Thankfully, the wires are all hooked up in such a way that I wouldn't need to move anything if it is going to have to be my long term solution. I just have to chose HDMI for borderlands, and optical out to get the beatiful DTS mix from Uncharted 2.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is anyone else constantly unsatisfied with their skill build? Not that the skills aren't good...in fact it's quite the opposite. I feel like I'm always missing some essential skill every time, or my build is somehow broken (even though it really isn't). I've already respecced 3 times. :|

sk3tch

Class_A_Ninja said:
I'm thinking this might be the problem. If anything, the audio hitching is making me feel the game is stuttering/framey when it is not. I'm using the optical out. I can only get sorround sound that way, since the hdmi--->optical out from my tv is only 2 channel (or pro logic 2, not 5.1).

Uh oh...I'm about to buy this on PS3 and my setup is the same as yours (HDMI video and optical out audio) - lots of probs? Should I buy 360?

ElyrionX

sk3tch said:
Uh oh...I'm about to buy this on PS3 and my setup is the same as yours (HDMI video and optical out audio) - lots of probs? Should I buy 360?

If you have the option of the 360 version, why even consider the PS3 one?

TheSeks

ElyrionX said:

Because crazy as it sounds: Some people prefer the PS3 versions of multiplatform games?

Frankly now a days, if the option is between PS3/360, I rather just go with the PS3 version?

Edit: And this is excluding problems.

Edit edit: If you have two controllers and a USB pen-drive/flash-drive back-up your save. Toss items to other character (that is hosting) that is lower level than you. Have that character sell items. Save, quit to XMB. Put backed-up high-level character save back on PS3. Rinse-repeat.

After six of these runs, I can finally say Pandora-dog Millionaire unlocked for me in the split-screen option with the lower level hosting. w00t.

sk3tch

ElyrionX said:

Well, to make a long story short...this thread. My 360 is now so annoying to use. It is minor but it takes me like 5 minutes of jimmy jacking around just to play and having a long day (and I barely get to play often as it is) I just am sick of it.

TheSeks said:
Because crazy as it sounds: Some people prefer the PS3 versions of multiplatform games?

Frankly now a days, if the option is between PS3/360, I rather just go with the PS3 version?

And yes, I do prefer my PS3...I like the controller better, for one.

Having said all that, I will go 360 if it is that much better, etc.

glaurung

After seeing the PC version screenshots, I am glad I invested in the PS3 version - the graphics look as good as they're going to get, even though they had the option to include better textures on the PC and whatnot.

I really like the game, currently playing the main campaign with a level 31 (or 32?) soldier. Thought I was unstoppable until I came face to face with the Badass Engineers in
Old Haven

Also played some rounds with Phol over the weekend. Some network issues aside, it was really fun and I really like that the game comes into its own with multiple players and scaling the enemies accordinlgy. Badass Corrosive Skags are simply too much fun.

Encountered a weird bug where the game erased my trophies for a moment from the PS3 - suddenly giving out the trophies again. Had to restart the console to fix this issue.

Blizzard

Banned
TheSeks said:

Yeah, I can understand a preference. For this game, some people are saying that PS3 works fine, but in GENERAL the impression I'm getting is that it works more reliably on 360.

TheSeks

Blizzard said:
Yeah, I can understand a preference. For this game, some people are saying that PS3 works fine, but in GENERAL the impression I'm getting is that it works more reliably on 360.

I haven't had issues minus that glitched achievement (which I just now got).

I'd say the PS3 version (minus the framerate chugging/freezing on the elevator to
Flynt
) works just damn fine. There are issues, but it isn't anything that should put people off it, compared to some of the issues Bethesda has in PS3 versions of their games (sup, Fallout 3 freezing. Vampire in Oblivion glitch?)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
dark10x said:
You sure about that? There are a few UE3 games out there that do not function with AA at all. Stranglehold, for instance, does not support any form of AA even with the use of nHnacer. It simply does not work. I can't imagine a late 2009 UE3 release missing such features, but the possibility certain exists.

Don't the infinite AA bullshots prove that it's at least enableable at the driver level? Did you see Xabora's post above?

datamage

I don't get what some people are thinking. Even if the PC version has the same exact assets as the console version- playing @ 1080p/60fps + Mouse/Kb will make it worthwhile.

That being said, can't wait to get home from work to unlock it on Steam. :)

poweld

datamage said:
I don't get what some people are thinking. Even if the PC version has the same exact assets as the console version- playing @ 1080p/60fps + Mouse/Kb will make it worthwhile.

That being said, can't wait to get home from work to unlock it on Steam. :)
This is exactly how I feel. I've been playing on 360 since launch, and have a lv38 hunter. I'm still excited for the PC for the kb/m controls, AA (manual, if need be), and (hopefully) no slowdown when I explode peoples' heads when I'm standing close to the gore!

Blizzard

Banned
datamage said:
playing @ 1080p/60fps + Mouse/Kb will make it worthwhile.
I wish, but I'm afraid I won't even get that. I normally play games at 720p windowed...does anyone have any guesses on whether I'd be able to run high settings with a 512MB ATI 4850, and 3GHz e8400? I'm suspecting I will get 30-50 fps, and if I find a way to force AA, the heat will go nuts and the framerate will get jerky due to the high resolution. :lol

BioNut

Banned
Blizzard said:
I wish, but I'm afraid I won't even get that. I normally play games at 720p windowed...does anyone have any guesses on whether I'd be able to run high settings with a 512MB ATI 4850, and 3GHz e8400? I'm suspecting I will get 30-50 fps, and if I find a way to force AA, the heat will go nuts and the framerate will get jerky due to the high resolution. :lol

If this game can run on a 360 then it will run on your machine. In fact, your comp is a lot better than the 360 so you should be able to get good results. AA will be the only thing that slows you down.

A 4850 will probably eat this game, i mean, i havent seen UE3 game bring down any PC to its knees, i would say you can max it out and then some.

Shame AA isnt built in via the menus, this looks like a game that would absolutely love some :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Blizzard said:

Even if true, I got the game for $33. HA HA HA! :D

Blizzard

Banned
Ogs said:
A 4850 will probably eat this game, i mean, i havent seen UE3 game bring down any PC to its knees, i would say you can max it out and then some.

Shame AA isnt built in via the menus, this looks like a game that would absolutely love some :(
Mirror's Edge at 1680x1050 runs okay on my system, but if I get the AA over 2x, it might look good but it runs super hot (really loud fan to keep it 70C or below) and kind of stuttery. Of course, Mirror's Edge has stutters anyway in some places presumably because of streaming level loading, but still.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ogs said:

Though admittedly it natively supports high levels of AA, Batman can eat machines pretty good, especially with PhysX (though of course this isn't available at all with ATI).

Guys, especially whoever above called "typical Randy bullshit," rest assured that the PC version will obliterate the console versions graphically. I stand by this prediction. If I don't come back in here with beautiful ingame shots, you can all force-feed me some crow. It sucks that advanced features might not be enabled in-game, but sometimes these things take tweaking. I haven't seen any evidence that you won't be able to pump the hell out of the engine on a high-end pc.

I'm waiting to pass judgement on the PC version until the official release is installed on my comp and running. I refuse to believe that my powerful comp will still have texture pop-in.

This reminds me of B:AA when PC pirates were saying the PC version was buggy as hell, when in truth it's just because game cracks tend to destabilize games. Especially modern game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ElyrionX said:
Friends? My "IRL" friends want to play the game and they only have PS3s, so I'm stuck with the PS3 version.

Still, the GT comparison made it seem as if they looked roughly the same with some advantages even going to the PS3 version. Seems like a much better port than Brothers in Arms was...

Grecco

Anybody know a good way to level up weapon proficiencies. I dont think killing tons of lower leveled guys is helping anything.

Blizzard said:
Mirror's Edge at 1680x1050 runs okay on my system, but if I get the AA over 2x, it might look good but it runs super hot (really loud fan to keep it 70C or below) and kind of stuttery. Of course, Mirror's Edge has stutters anyway in some places presumably because of streaming level loading, but still.

Was PhysX on ? I know Mirrors Edge allows it on even with ATI hardware, i turned that shit off for sexy smooth 60 FPS all the time (unless it loaded in the next part of the level). PhysX even crapped the frame rate on my brother 280 GTX :/

Dunlop

Quick question as I don't have too much time to play tonight:

I picked up the mine key from Skar's hideout, the map waypoint then had me leave the zone, once I left the waypoint is now back at Skar's hideout (I did not cash in any quests and the objective was always the same). Where is the freaking mine? Thx

I'm only lvl 16 and this is GOTY for me so far, so damn fun

Blizzard

Banned
Ogs said:
Was PhysX on ? I know Mirrors Edge allows it on even with ATI hardware, i turned that shit off for sexy smooth 60 FPS all the time (unless it loaded in the next part of the level). PhysX even crapped the frame rate on my brother 280 GTX :/
No, definitely had to turn that off. I had to turn on vsync too to get rid of tearing. :(

I'm still not sure if Windows 7 is part of the issue for smooth animation for me. I feel like lots of smooth panning in movies, game intros, or whatever, is always jerky, and I don't know if it's related to Windows media codecs or crappy drivers (I have the latest DX9/10/11 and OpenGL ones) or what.

Looks like some people will be adjusting their fov...is the default one bad or is there a "good" one to use?

Amneisac

Grecco said:
Anybody know a good way to level up weapon proficiencies. I dont think killing tons of lower leveled guys is helping anything.

No idea, but do we know if this goes up to 50? I have been starting to focus on this a little more since I'm 44 now (highest proficiency is 23).

Edited to add:

There's definitely some kind of weird bug to how this skills up. A few times last night my friend was skilling up in weapons he wasn't using or hadn't used to hit an enemy. Not sure what's up there.

Lord Phol

Dunlop said:
Quick question as I don't have too much time to play tonight:

I picked up the mine key from Skar's hideout, the map waypoint then had me leave the zone, once I left the waypoint is now back at Skar's hideout (I did not cash in any quests and the objective was always the same). Where is the freaking mine? Thx

I'm only lvl 16 and this is GOTY for me so far, so damn fun

It's an "instance" in the
southern part of Arid Badlands

Philthy

Shoogoo said:
I went on a server with my lvl3 siren to get some friend's weapon he wanted to swap to another char and by the time we made the exchange, the two other guys cashed some high end quest and I gained three levels, wtf?

That's kind of broken, I can't imagine how much people are abusing with powerleveling

It's meant to be. They wanted friends who buy the game late able to catch up with their other friends so they don't have to be late to the party and miss out. Since this isn't a strict MMO, it makes a lot of sense. It sounds like you just stumbled on the leveling mechanism you weren't aware of.

For a game like this, it works out really well, since its based around multiplayer, and obviously everyone wants to play with people on their friends list.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzard said:
No, definitely had to turn that off. I had to turn on vsync too to get rid of tearing. :(

I'm still not sure if Windows 7 is part of the issue for smooth animation for me. I feel like lots of smooth panning in movies, game intros, or whatever, is always jerky, and I don't know if it's related to Windows media codecs or crappy drivers (I have the latest DX9/10/11 and OpenGL ones) or what.

Looks like some people will be adjusting their fov...is the default one bad or is there a "good" one to use?

I don't think (from the shots, AA-less though they be) that the default FOV is bad. Then again, I didn't mind the default FOV in Bioshock, and people went nuts over that thing. *shrug* I'm sure you can play around with it.

ElyrionX

TheSeks said:

Edit edit: If you have two controllers and a USB pen-drive/flash-drive back-up your save. Toss items to other character (that is hosting) that is lower level than you. Have that character sell items. Save, quit to XMB. Put backed-up high-level character save back on PS3. Rinse-repeat.

After six of these runs, I can finally say Pandora-dog Millionaire unlocked for me in the split-screen option with the lower level hosting. w00t.

If one version is obviously the technically superior version, why would you prefer the other version? Apart from very specific issues, there's only two reasons I can think of:

1) Friends (pain in the ass for me because all my real life friends are on the PS3)
2) Controller preference

The second point is moot really. The 360 controller is far superior for most games and since most multiplatform games are technically superior on the 360 (admittedly, the difference these days is pretty marginal), I don't see why most people would even consider the PS3 version of multiplatform games.

And in the case of Borderlands where there are some concerns about the PS3 version, the 360 version is pretty much a no-brainer.

Blizzard

Banned
ElyrionX said:
The 360 controller is far superior for most games and since most multiplatform games are technically superior on the 360 (admittedly, the difference these days is pretty marginal), I don't see why most people would even consider the PS3 version of multiplatform games.
I know I was commenting that in general this port seems to have more issues on the PS3 (presumably the dev's fault and not necessarily the PS3's fault), but please, can we avoid the console wars in this thread and let me get back to whining about PC performance? :lol

Top Bottom