• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

The best games I've ever played have been janky as hell. Far from being a deterrent. Still going to wait for a couple GAF impressions because it's an unknown quantity but I'm feeling pretty good about it. I really like the flow of the combat. Really emphasizes a "blow trading" style.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxteKis4sPk

I lost all interest!! :(

Animation makes me think of mortal Kombat :(

yeah, it look like a typical janky european RPG. Combat animations are very stiff and characters animations during dialogues also pretty bad (Risen 1 level of bad animations).The big boss fight (36 mins in) was super painful to watch. :/

Characters creation look decent enough (didn't know you can play as a female) and the leveling systems seems kinda neat looking and have good amount of options. and story seems kinda interesting.

I'll still wait for gaffer impressions on this.

Garland7G

After watching that video, I'm not as sure anymore. I don't think its worth 50 on PS4, I could be wrong. I'll have to think about this one.

FingerBang

I completed the game and I'm reviewing it right now. Didn't know the game before getting the code so I didn't have any expectation, but I do agree with a lot of things I read in this thread about the difficulty and the lenght. I can't say anything more but the video posted by DarkoMaledictus shows exactly what the game is all about. If you like what you see, you'll like the game.

Drazgul

I completed the game and I'm reviewing it right now. Didn't know the game before getting the code so I didn't have any expectation, but I do agree with a lot of things I read in this thread about the difficulty and the lenght. I can't say anything more but the video posted by DarkoMaledictus shows exactly what the game is all about. If you like what you see, you'll like the game.

Can you comment on the crafting system at all? Is it worthwhile, how deep it is etc.?

Garland7G

All I want to know is, is it worth 50 for digital? As in, would you spend your hard earned money on it?

DeviantBoi

If the game releases tomorrow, why is the embargo up on Friday?

Is it because you received a copy from the publisher?

I will remain cautiously optimistic. Art direction is pretty solid but animations need a lot of work. Could be fun, but don't know if this is worth $40 at launch. Combat is a mixed bag, but I would like to play it before judging. May wait until Steam Sale to pick up.

Y0j1mb0

I have seen multiple people stream themselves playing this game on the PS4 and I've come to the conclusion that this game is poop. It's one of those games that you will most likely pick up when it hits that 20 bucks range and not feel too bad about getting it. It may even become a guilty pleasure to some, sorta like Two Words II is to some ( myself included ).

It looks like a competent action RPG but from what I saw there is no way in hell I would pay full price for it.

Philippo

I am interested (you know, the thirst is real), but they're crazy if they think i'll spend 70€ for such an unknown and risky title.

murgo

I am interested (you know, the thirst is real), but they're crazy if they think i'll spend 70€ for such an unknown and risky title.

70€? Jesus.. where are you from? It's 54€ at Amazon.de and even that's pretty expensive.

SZips

It's releasing digitally tomorrow on the Playstation store from what people are saying and then physical copies on Friday.

This is actually the first I heard of that, but yeah you seem to be right. Well, that's a bit annoying that people can buy it and play it and freely share their opinions on it while those of us reviewing it still have to wait for Friday to get our reviews out.

Ah well. This isn't the first time this has happened, I doubt it'll be the last time.

I want to be interested in this, but it looks pretty shabby in terms of quality.

Fairly mediocre looking game. I can appreciate a new studio trying to launch a RPG franchise, but this doesn't look like it justifies a full price.

Philippo

70€? Jesus.. where are you from? It's 54€ at Amazon.de and even that's pretty expensive.

Actually is 65 on Amazon.it.
But yeah, i won't pay more than 30€ for this, wether it's physical or digital (for which i hope that's the price).

Have we all forgotten Mars: War Logs? People were getting unreasonably excited about the game before it launched and look how that turned out.

prudislav

Have we all forgotten Mars: War Logs? People were getting unreasonably excited about the game before it launched and look how that turned out.

well i prefer Mars over DS2 any day and this one is pretty much fantasy reskin of Mars , which was pretty OKgame - not awesome but okey and i was pretty surprised about that game and in the end enjoyed it more than some bigger titles

Drewfonse

Interesting. All of the people in this thread who are reviewing it have concurred with the "pleasant surprise" description, while most of the people who are watching streams are more in the "janky as hell, will wait for $20". Strange contrast.

I'm hesitant to drop $50 on an unknown quantity, but it looks fun, so I think that I might.

Munin

Just always felt like Spiders could potentially one day do grand things with perhaps a bit more experience and a lot more money, but I guess it's looking like this title won't be that either.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is it comparable in quality with Kingdoms of Amatelur / Dragon's Dogma / other similar games?
In practice it's very different from those games. The scope is smaller.

Don't want to say much more but it is a charming little game provided you keep its roots in mind.

In practice it's very different from those games. The scope is smaller.

Don't want to say much more but it is a charming little game provided you keep its roots in mind.

Just answer this one simple yes or no question, to satiate my hype..

Did you find it fun?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I doubt this could be any worse than Amazing Spider-Man 2. Looks interesting, and I need an RPG to tide me over and break my Dark Souls 2 addiction.

Bought this for the PS4 yesterday, played it for around 4 hours, some impressions so far:

Not as janky as I thought it would be. I saw people mentioning Gothic and Two Worlds in this thread, I would say Bound by Flame is more polished than those games in terms of controls and animations. What I've played so far is perfectly fine, I didn't get frustrated by the game or any bugs/glitches at all.

This game will kick your ass. I read there is no New Game+, so I started on Captain difficulty (highest) right away. I died many times, you're pretty much done once you get surrounded by enemies (keep in mind I'm still fairly early into the game, so not sure if this will change when you get more powerful as you progress). Luckily the game auto saves quite frequently, so restarting isn't too annoying. I enjoy the challenge though, you'll have to learn to parry and fight strategically, prioritize which enemy to take out first.

The combat is less varied than I thought, anyone expecting the combat to be similar to Kingdoms of Amular is going to be disappointed. You only have 3 moves with your weapons (regular, area, charged area), and from looking at the skill trees, there doesn't seem to be any new moves to learn when you level up/upgrade, most skills just improve the efficiency/stats of those moves. Same with pyromancy, all moves/abilities are opened to you as soon as you unlock the skill tree, upgrading will only improves them.

Story - still too early to tell, but 4 hours in, I can't say I care too much about what's happening.

All in all I think it's an okay game so far. I don't expect to be wowed, nor has the game done anything to impress me yet, but what I've played so far is perfectly competent, if not a little bit generic.

Top Bottom