• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

Xander51

This game is very much like Mars War Logs, but the animations flow together much better and the combat is more intense and challenging. I'm digging it so far.

ironcreed

Banned
It's really unfortunate I can't speak more about the game. Especially now that it is out. Still awaiting information on if the embargo will be lifted earlier due to this digital release. As of now, no response.

Well, I am getting the impression that you are enjoying it and I find that I usually agree with you more times than not. So I'll go ahead and take that as a good sign. Looking forward to finding out for myself here after I eat and unwind.

Ricker

I'm stuck in a conundrum, this games been a maybe for me for a while, and everything i see keeps it at a maybe. I'm already getting wolfenstein, watch dogs, MK8, transistor, and just downloaded stick it to the man, but I can't seem to make my mind up on this game if i should just pull the trigger or wait, the youtube vid posted here the guy seemed incompetent but the livestream has a guy thats really enjoying it and it really looks fun! IM SOO CONFUSED!!!

Wait till Friday...in a few hours Ironcreed will talk about it,since he doesn't have a chance to get his Youtube channel closed or sued or whatever,and a few others will be able to post impressions as well...plus even if Slasher can't talk about it in lenght,it's pretty clear he likes it and he will have his whole review up early Friday morning I believe,which are pretty well done,IMHO.... ;)

That's what I will be doing anyway but I am pretty sure I will get it because I love those quirky European type game,like Venetica,Two Worlds,Divinity and I actually enjoyed Mars for what it was...

Wait till Friday...in a few hours Ironcreed will talk about it,since he doesn't have a chance to get his Youtube channel closed or sued or whatever,and a few others will be able to post impressions as well...plus even if Slasher can't talk about it in lenght,it's pretty clear he likes it and he will have his whole review up early Friday morning I believe,which are pretty well done,IMHO.... ;)

That's what I will be doing anyway but I am pretty sure I will get it because I love those quirky European type game,like Venetica,Two Worlds,Divinity and I actually enjoyed Mars for what it was...

Thank you kindly Ricker! I will say though, I'm doing a colab with another reviewer so will have two opinions on the game. So it will be a little different. :p Though I think for fans that enjoy other janky euro rpgs will find much to like, sans perhaps as much jank as one would expect ;)

One concern I have is length. Isn't it only around 15 hours on a normal playthrough? I like my action RPGs to be a bit longer unless that 15 hours is jam packed with variety

One concern I have is length. Isn't it only around 15 hours on a normal playthrough? I like my action RPGs to be a bit longer unless that 15 hours is jam packed with variety

I see two playthroughs at least to see different outcomes/results. I can't confirm total playtime but my thoughts is it feels like if you want to just rush and get to the end, it will be shorter then if you take your time and do side stuff, etc.

TheMan

Thank you kindly Ricker! I will say though, I'm doing a colab with another reviewer so will have two opinions on the game. So it will be a little different. :p Though I think for fans that enjoy other janky euro rpgs will find much to like, sans perhaps as much jank as one would expect ;)

yo, does this game have perky cybertitties like the witcher 2

I see two playthroughs at least to see different outcomes/results. I can't confirm total playtime but my thoughts is it feels like if you want to just rush and get to the end, it will be shorter then if you take your time and do side stuff, etc.

I've heard it was 30 hours if you complete 'most' side quests.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if those shorter playtimes were from rushing. Still tempted heh

Amon-Lau

Welp I had fun with what little Mars: War Logs offered so might as well jump to this... :p

Gonna go for the GMG deal though, might as well get it as cheap as I can... xD

Evil Beaver

Couldn't wait until Friday to pick up a physical copy so I downloaded it. Can't wait to play when I get home.

I don't even care if it's bad. I just want an RPG on my PS4.

Hmm... I kinda think I will like this game. BUT. should i get this for PS4? or Dark Souls 2 for PC? both 50. can play either from couch...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... I kinda think I will like this game. BUT. should i get this for PS4? or Dark Souls 2 for PC? both 50. can play either from couch...

Dark Souls 2. Tis fucking awesome. You can also get Bound By Flame for a much cheaper price on PC as well.

taco543

So I cracked and took up gamestop on their bonus precentage trade in and bought it... lol its downloading now. THE THRIST WAS REAL! and I'll post some impressions too once its done

TheMan

LOL not to my knowledge.

that's a shame. honestly, i would likely have said fuck it and picked this game up already if I hadn't just started my first playthrough of oblivion. my rpg itch is getting scratched nicely, so I'm not chomping at the bit to pick up another one that doesn't have any reviews out yet.

that said, i certainly would like a new game (that's good) for my ps4 cause it's getting dusty. i may divert funds to watch dogs pending decent reviews/neogaf reception.

Kyolux

I'll be streaming in a few minutes on Captain difficulty. (Not sure why I chose that) But yeah, look up kyolux on twitch if you want to watch me mostly fail. :)

blackflag

Some dude is streaming this and it looks absolutely terrible. And the dialogue is so cheese....He said pooping right? I heard him say pooping.

taco543

So far I've beat the first boss and it's not half bad, I'm having a few issues with frame rate on mine idk if anyone else is but during game play I'll get some noticeable drops but then it goes back to normal more of stutter than anything, kinda annoying hope it gets fixed. Dialogue wise I wasn't expecting much buts actually funny to here them talking all proper like: "thy, hence, thou" and then to hear them say poop or fuck or shit lol. Fighting is slow but pretty cool once you get it down.
EDIT: I'm also experiencing this hilarious bug that makes the audio during dialogue not exist sometimes so I'll see subtitles but hear nothing it makes the dialogue so awkward and soo much funnier.
Oh also the voice acting (when it works) is terrible, but in a funny way.
Overall so far I'm actually enjoying it I'll post more when I'm further in it.

EDIT 2: I should mention I'm on ps4

ironcreed

Banned
Some quick initial impressions as I am just now getting a taste of the combat. Pleasantly surprised to see that you can't just mindlessly hack through everything. It has a really neat counter system and timing is pretty crucial. As are different tactics. It just works and thankfully has had some thought put into it.

Technically, it runs well on PS3 and other than some low resolution textures here and there, it looks quite acceptable for a $40 game. Especially since some of the art and music really helps with the atmosphere and I imagine that is even better represented in the PS4 version. Again, it does the job and is above average for a budget RPG.

From a story standpoint it is obvious (to me anyway) that the whole Lords of Ice and Deadwalkers thing took a bit of inspiration from Game of Thrones, which I am okay with. As it is completely different otherwise and is really just some good old serviceable dark fantasy. You should be fine, if you are into that sort of thing.

At any rate, it's still way early on. But it seems like an above average budget deal so far. In which context, it actually has some qualities that I would just plain consider good period, outside of being a budget release. As fun is fun and useful systems that work are what counts, right?

TheMan

So far I've beat the first boss and it's not half bad, I'm having a few issues with frame rate on mine idk if anyone else is but during game play I'll get some noticeable drops but then it goes back to normal more of stutter than anything, kinda annoying hope it gets fixed. Dialogue wise I wasn't expecting much buts actually funny to here them talking all proper like: "thy, hence, thou" and then to hear them say poop or fuck or shit lol. Fighting is slow but pretty cool once you get it down.
EDIT: I'm also experiencing this hilarious bug that makes the audio during dialogue not exist sometimes so I'll see subtitles but hear nothing it makes the dialogue so awkward and soo much funnier.
Oh also the voice acting (when it works) is terrible, but in a funny way.
Overall so far I'm actually enjoying it I'll post more when I'm further in it.

EDIT 2: I should mention I'm on ps4

do you regret dropping 50 on a version of the game that can't be traded in or sold?

Never knew this game existed.

Question I'm not a big fan of RPGs, but I love stylish action games. I found Darksiders 2 to be a healthy medium between the two. Is it worth trying this?

ironcreed

Banned
Damn, this game can kick your ass if you are not careful. It's no joke even on normal in some situations.

On a side note, I love the weapon customization and how you can add pommels and guards with not only different looks, but effects. This customization of course goes for armor as well. Fun game underneath some cheese and a side of jank.

hawk2025

Damn, this game can kick your ass if you are not careful. It's no joke even on normal in some situations.

On a side note, I love the weapon customization and how you can add pommels and guards with not only different looks, but effects. This customization of course goes for armor as well. Fun game underneath some cheese and a side of jank.

Same here (on PS4).

Janky, low budget, but quite fun so far. The combat is meaty and interesting with the dodging, riposting, and constant switching of classes at the press of a button.

Voice acting is awful and funny.

Playing as the Ranger class reminds me of Dragon's Dogma.

It's nice to see that your health bar can *actually* decrease, combat situations are actually relevant and seem to require different approaches and classes depending on the enemy type.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the first hour or so. It's exactly the kind of B RPG I expected. I suspect it will receive plenty of truly awful reviews from people who won't bother to learn the combat carefully.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Same here (on PS4).

Janky, low budget, but quite fun so far. The combat is meaty and interesting with the dodging, riposting, and constant switching of classes at the press of a button.

Voice acting is awful and funny.

Playing as the Ranger class reminds me of Dragon's Dogma.

It's nice to see that your health bar can *actually* decrease, combat situations are actually relevant and seem to require different approaches and classes depending on the enemy type.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the first hour or so. It's exactly the kind of B RPG I expected. I suspect it will receive plenty of truly awful reviews from people who won't bother to learn the combat carefully.
Perfect, and exactly what I was expecting as well. I'm all for B-grade RPG's, as the AAA ones are taking forever to appear and honestly, what's not to like about a bit of RPG time?

Drewfonse

I've decided to have some willpower and wait until FR to pick up the physical copy. I like having the option to sell my games. Looking forward to hearing more impressions from you guys.

ironcreed

Banned
I am getting a kick out of some of the dialogue. A lot of it is pure cheese, but some of it is genuinely funny. And some of the voice acting is really not that bad at all. I have paid more for a lot worse, I know that much. Games like Arcania comes to mind.

taco543

do you regret dropping 50 on a version of the game that can't be traded in or sold?
Honestly no I get before physical release and I see myself having quite a bit of fun with it. It seems more like a cult game high difficulty, funny bugs, even funnier voice acting. It's my cup of tea and so far I regret nothing after I beat it that's another story. I was just looking for something to tide me till the 20th when wolfenstein and transistor comes out and if this does it then it was well worth my money.

The game seems to be half celshaded, half not o_O

Noticed that too, I was looking at some rocks and trying to figure out what the heck was going on lol.

Anyways I am enjoying the game a good deal, sure it's janky, sure it has cheesy dialogue, but I am having fun playing it and really enjoy the customization of weapons and armor.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
This is a great B game. There's actually less jank than I expected and the combat is pretty fun. The dialogue is cheesy and terrible in an awesome way.

"What do you think of these wizards, Buffalo?"

"They're a bunch of scrotums. Shut the fuck up and go walk the perimeter."

Outside of the console screen shot thread is there any more? I've only seen one person post shots.

Here you go

i7QmnDXnKemFp.jpg

itWoKTKFDHWt8.jpg

JoRo

I'm stuck in a conundrum, this games been a maybe for me for a while, and everything i see keeps it at a maybe. I'm already getting wolfenstein, watch dogs, MK8, transistor, and just downloaded stick it to the man, but I can't seem to make my mind up on this game if i should just pull the trigger or wait, the youtube vid posted here the guy seemed incompetent but the livestream has a guy thats really enjoying it and it really looks fun! IM SOO CONFUSED!!!

I think you guys should get this. Not only would you be supporting the developers for these types of games, but going off impressions from those that have the game, you may have a bit of fun. There's always room for these types of weird Euro RPGs. Something like Dark Souls 2 won't have any problems making its money back and will be on countless Steam sales (as will this, I'm sure), but I like supporting the little guy, so to speak. I can't wait for my PS4 copy Friday!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
As someone that actually enjoyed Mars (but not Orcs and Men) this has "wait for sale" written all over it in my opinion

SZips

I have the PC version, a ps4 promo disc review version, and still going to buy a retail copy for PS4 to support them. Take that for what you will.

Your comment actually makes me wonder if you and I are reviewing two different games here...

hawk2025

Your comment actually makes me wonder if you and I are reviewing two different games here...

If you are, I certainly think his comments so far in this thread have been VERY helpful, at least for me, in figuring out the quality of the game before buying it, and now I'm glad I did. The game is even better than expected after he started mentioning a couple of positive things about it.

This is def a game that some will hate and others will absolutely eat up and for various reasons. I fall into the later category.

If you are, I certainly think his comments so far in this thread have been VERY helpful, at least for me, in figuring out the quality of the game before buying it, and now I'm glad I did. The game is even better than expected after he started mentioning a couple of positive things about it.

Glad I was of some help to a few of you in here.

I played through the first 6 hours or so, and I really like it so far. I just beat a 2nd boss, and he was a pain in the ass, but I'm loving the challenge. I will say that people should definitely play this on Captain difficulty; the enemies will kick your ass, but imo the extra challenge forces you to really pay attention to the game mechanics, and put more thought into your equipment and crafting. There's a lot more meat here than I initially thought, and the cheese and jank are just enough to give the game a certain charm, instead of being annoying. I think it will be divisive amongst critics and gamers alike, but fans of the genre will definitely find a lot to like here.

SZips

Well, I already have the game. I've had it for a few days now and am working on my own review. I guess it's difficult to get a really good idea about some things given the vague nature of the remarks but I certainly get the impression that I'm not looking as favorably at this one as he is. That's all.

hawk2025

Well, I already have the game. I've had it for a few days now and am working on my own review. I guess it's difficult to get a really good idea about some things given the vague nature of the remarks but I certainly get the impression that I'm not looking as favorably at this one as he is. That's all.

And that's perfectly fine.

This is a game that WILL be rated in the 4's by some people.

Karak

Most likely the nature of this beast. I think when we all post our reviews it will be very interesting to see the various takes and can't help but assume the spread is going to be surprisingly large.

Would you recommend this to someone that played Two Worlds and didn't really mind it?
Surprisingly apt thought you have there;) I would wait until Friday to get that vote though. No harm in waiting and then finding aligning views on the things you find important.

Top Bottom