• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

TheMan

Bought this for the PS4 yesterday, played it for around 4 hours, some impressions so far:

Not as janky as I thought it would be. I saw people mentioning Gothic and Two Worlds in this thread, I would say Bound by Flame is more polished than those games in terms of controls and animations. What I've played so far is perfectly fine, I didn't get frustrated by the game or any bugs/glitches at all.

This game will kick your ass. I read there is no New Game+, so I started on Captain difficulty (highest) right away. I died many times, you're pretty much done once you get surrounded by enemies (keep in mind I'm still fairly early into the game, so not sure if this will change when you get more powerful as you progress). Luckily the game auto saves quite frequently, so restarting isn't too annoying. I enjoy the challenge though, you'll have to learn to parry and fight strategically, prioritize which enemy to take out first.

The combat is less varied than I thought, anyone expecting the combat to be similar to Kingdoms of Amular is going to be disappointed. You only have 3 moves with your weapons (regular, area, charged area), and from looking at the skill trees, there doesn't seem to be any new moves to learn when you level up/upgrade, most skills just improve the efficiency/stats of those moves. Same with pyromancy, all moves/abilities are opened to you as soon as you unlock the skill tree, upgrading will only improves them.

Story - still too early to tell, but 4 hours in, I can't say I care too much about what's happening.

All in all I think it's an okay game so far. I don't expect to be wowed, nor has the game done anything to impress me yet, but what I've played so far is perfectly competent, if not a little bit generic.

thanks for the impressions. the bolded is putting me off quite a bit. I'd be ok with no unlockable moves as long as the movelist was long and varied. however, only having 3 moves sounds like combat would get monotonous really quickly. combine that with a boring story, and i may have to pass on this one.

the thirst intensifies.

thanks for the impressions. the bolded is putting me off quite a bit. I'd be ok with no unlockable moves as long as the movelist was long and varied. however, only having 3 moves sounds like combat would get monotonous really quickly. combine that with a boring story, and i may have to pass on this one.

the thirst intensifies.

While that may sound discouraging, think of it this way. You have 3 different styles, with different move sets, plus traps, plus crossbows, all at your fingertips. Honestly it provides enough variation if you choose to use these skills to your advantage. Also only the rogue stance for instance lets you dodge, where as the warrior stance lets you break shield enemies guard.

soqquatto

and from looking at the skill trees, there doesn't seem to be any new moves to learn when you level up/upgrade, most skills just improve the efficiency/stats of those moves.

you should look harder at those skill trees. there are a couple of added moves... only a couple, mind you.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sooo... basically it's a "wait for $20... if you haven't totally forgotten about it by then"

Guess I need some other plans for this weekend

the thirst intensifies.

While that may sound discouraging, think of it this way. You have 3 different styles, with different move sets, plus traps, plus crossbows, all at your fingertips. Honestly it provides enough variation if you choose to use these skills to your advantage. Also only the rogue stance for instance lets you dodge, where as the warrior stance lets you break shield enemies guard.
Yeah I'm disappointed by the number of different moves, but the way I worded it probably made it sounded worse than it is. Put this game on Hard (Captain) and you will be too busy parrying left, right and center to even care about how many moves you can pull off, and the challenge is pretty satisfying, I suppose it depends how you like your games.

Yeah I'm disappointed by the number of different moves, but the way I worded it probably made it sounded worse than it is. Put this game on Hard (Captain) and you will be too busy parrying left, right and center to even care about how many moves you can pull off, and the challenge is pretty satisfying, I suppose it depends how you like your games.

Honestly, even normal presents quite the challenge. Anyways still can't go in depth or say much. Still trying to get clarification on the embargo stuff since supposedly this is launching today digitally.

FingerBang

Can you comment on the crafting system at all? Is it worthwhile, how deep it is etc.?

It's the part that I enjoyed the most, probably, but it's not really deep. It's useful to power up your weapons/armor, create potions, but there's no real depth.

All I want to know is, is it worth 50 for digital? As in, would you spend your hard earned money on it?

Well... That's not really easy. I'd say that for me it's not. I don't think it's a bad game, but it lacks polishness and it probably promises too much.

Kyolux

Really hard to know if I want to get it now or wait for a price drop.

I really want to get it on PS4 even if it's way cheaper on Steam with the GMG deal.

Hopefully more people will give impressions by end of day.

Evil Beaver

Why does this come out on Friday as opposed to Tuesdays? :( (Here in the US anyways). I'll spend today calling around to see if anyone breaks the street date.

I'm not expecting this game to be anything amazing, certainly it doesn't look anything special graphically, but I'm still interested in it all the same as someone who enjoyed Spider's other games (Of Orcs and Men especially). *********** have already charged me for the PS4 version so it's too late to cancel now! I watched about an hour of the game last night and thought it looked like the kind of game I would enjoy. I was surprised at how much dialogue there was though for what appears to be an action RPG as I was expecting to be more like Dark Souls in terms of story-telling with limited NPC interactions. Dunno why...might be because I've seen people mention that game when referring to how difficult it is to play.

Kyolux

I'm not expecting this game to be anything amazing, certainly it doesn't look anything special graphically, but I'm still interested in it all the same as someone who enjoyed Spider's other games (Of Orcs and Men especially). *********** have already charged me for the PS4 version so it's too late to cancel now! I watched about an hour of the game last night and thought it looked like the kind of game I would enjoy. I was surprised at how much dialogue there was though for what appears to be an action RPG as I was expecting to be more like Dark Souls in terms of story-telling with limited NPC interactions. Dunno why...might be because I've seen people mention that game when referring to how difficult it is to play.

That's a major issue I had when watching the streams.. the NPC interaction never seemed to end.

Not sure how much it'll bother me when actually playing, but having no investment so far into the story, it was kind of a turn-off.

I have the PC version, a ps4 promo disc review version, and still going to buy a retail copy for PS4 to support them. Take that for what you will.

hawk2025

I'm watching a stream on live from Playstation and am now almost convinced to buy it.

It just looks like the kind of B RPG I really enjoy. Hhmmmm...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
In practice it's very different from those games. The scope is smaller.

Don't want to say much more but it is a charming little game provided you keep its roots in mind.

weird they made it smaller than Of Orcs and Men. :/

European RPGs always have that "charm" in them even if they are janky or really flawed ( Venetica, Divinity, Two Worlds)

Kyolux

I have the PC version, a ps4 promo disc review version, and still going to buy a retail copy for PS4 to support them. Take that for what you will.

Where do you write for? You have me mostly convinced, but I'd like to see your opinion on things I'd be familiar with. :)

edit: Well.. I figured it might be in your profile.. and what do you know? It's there!

I'll get it if only because it's my first RPG on the ps4, I prefer creating the hero aswell so roll on when it comes out, I enjoyed Two Worlds 2 for what it was, It was an appetiser for Skyrim, So i'll consider this an appetiser for Dragon Age Inquisition.

Where do you write for? You have me mostly convinced, but I'd like to see your opinion on things I'd be familiar with. :)

edit: Well.. I figured it might be in your profile.. and what do you know? It's there!
I do youtube stuff but if you want to ask me my opinions on some other games here go for it. My you tube channel is slasherjpc. 800 videos and going. :)

Xander51

I'm downloading this now on PS4. It has to download the entire 4.2 gigs before you play, but that's not a super huge size. I'm pumped.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the streams it does look good and surprisingly polished but I'm interested to see what people who don't usually buy janky Euro RPGs make of it. I'm pretty certain I'll enjoy it (and I paid a good price too) but I also know what I'm in for with dodgy voice acting, lower budget than bigger RPGs etc. But as has been said I find a lot of those games to have a charm/heart to them I quite like.

Watching the streams it does look good and surprisingly polished but I'm interested to see what people who don't usually buy janky Euro RPGs make of it. I'm pretty certain I'll enjoy it (and I paid a good price too) but I also know what I'm in for with dodgy voice acting, lower budget than bigger RPGs etc. But as has been said I find a lot of those games to have a charm/heart to them I quite like.

Well this might be the best chance of said people getting into the genre so to speak :p

unbias

https://www.facebook.com/BoundByFlame

Jason Triggs Ok developers - I would like a direct answer please: (1) Game length for average play through? (2) PC 'Recommended' specs (3) Pre-release reviews for PC version.
Like · Reply · April 24 at 1:10pm

Bound by Flame Hello Jason,
1- You can count at least 30 hours if you complete most of the side quests.
2- Please visit the tech support topic on the forum (http://forum.mars-warlogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=316)
3- T he game will be release may 9th so there are no reviews out yet

I've been watching streams off and on all day. It's not terrible, looks like a decent action rpg by all accounts.. Very tempting indeed.

Yeah and I enjoyed games such as Risen and Divinity, so I think I will like this. Already have 10 dollars on my PSN gonna head to Gamestop trade some stuff in and purchase it digitally.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah and I enjoyed games such as Risen and Divinity, so I think I will like this. Already have 10 dollars on my PSN gonna head to Gamestop trade some stuff in and purchase it digitally.

Yeah, I love stuff like Divinity II and Two Worlds as well, which is why I went ahead and jumped on it. I second guessed it for awhile, but watched more footage and decided that it looks like a fun experience underneath a few warts. Especially for $40. I'll be diving in here in a bit.

Yeah, I love stuff like Divinity II and Two Worlds as well, which is why I went ahead and jumped on it. I second guessed it for awhile, but watched more footage and decided that it looks like a fun experience underneath a few warts. Especially for $40. I'll be diving in here in a bit.

Hope you enjoy it. :D Will wait to see what your thoughts are.

Kyolux

I do youtube stuff but if you want to ask me my opinions on some other games here go for it. My you tube channel is slasherjpc. 800 videos and going. :)

Think I'll just take my chances.. don't really have any specific games in mind to ask about.

Just pulled the trigger on the PS4 version. I love action RPGs, and I'm itching to play something like this on my PS4, so I'm sure I'll find something to like. Downloading now.

def sim

I have a 25% off voucher for GMG that doesn't seem to be tied to my account, if you want it. Along with the current deal going on in their store, it should bring the game down to $25.50

k1t4j

I hope this is good, I got some decent vibes of the trailers. Tempted to pull the trigger and see how it goes!

taco543

I'm stuck in a conundrum, this games been a maybe for me for a while, and everything i see keeps it at a maybe. I'm already getting wolfenstein, watch dogs, MK8, transistor, and just downloaded stick it to the man, but I can't seem to make my mind up on this game if i should just pull the trigger or wait, the youtube vid posted here the guy seemed incompetent but the livestream has a guy thats really enjoying it and it really looks fun! IM SOO CONFUSED!!!

I went ahead and bit the bullet. I got it for 20 bucks traded in a game my friend randomly gave me. So if it isn't as great im not in a total loss.

It's really unfortunate I can't speak more about the game. Especially now that it is out. Still awaiting information on if the embargo will be lifted earlier due to this digital release. As of now, no response.

Top Bottom