• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

desverger

Have you guys tried Gumi's latest game, Chain Chronicles? I'm really digging it, after not really caring for the 9000 other PaD/BF clones (Terra Battle, etc).

Tried it, but, eh - it's a different game.

The worst part for me is that the gacha is way, way worse and there is no unit evolving.

I also really like how you can play BF in a portrait orientation and that it's turn based. CC is locked into a landscape orientation and is real-time, so playing on the bus might not be a great idea.

However, I have to admit that I haven't really given the game a chance. I've tried to start it a few times, but since I feel I'm gonna get screwed over by the gacha, I have to try and get a good starter unit, so I've just been rerolling a bunch of times.

I'll try a few rerolls on the weekend and see how it goes I guess :p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Tried it, but, eh - it's a different game.

The worst part for me is that the gacha is way, way worse and there is no unit evolving.

I also really like how you can play BF in a portrait orientation and that it's turn based. CC is locked into a landscape orientation and is real-time, so playing on the bus might not be a great idea.

However, I have to admit that I haven't really given the game a chance. I've tried to start it a few times, but since I feel I'm gonna get screwed over by the gacha, I have to try and get a good starter unit, so I've just been rerolling a bunch of times.

I'll try a few rerolls on the weekend and see how it goes I guess :p

I definitely miss the portrait mode. Hard to play with one hand... well, impossible to play with one hand. The gacha is pretty stingy, and rerolling really sucks as it takes a long time.

Corgi

Banned
don't like the 3D models.

Also have enough beef with Gumi's shit service that I can't see myself checking out more games handled by them global.

Shouta

Chain Chronicles is not bad, especially if you enjoy the story content but I really don't like gumi handling it.

The JP version gives you a ridiculous amount of its currency though. Way more than BF does and gives you multiple ways to get decent units that aren't just paid.

Xetherion

some people been wondering where the hell do you use Ultor besides arena...

Trying to find other uses now.

Ultor can be used for harder content that you don't want to cheese with dual Maxwell. I just cleared the Atro dungeon. Used Ultor x2, Dshel, Ulkina, Lilly Matah and Azael.

I lost Azael in Room 1 because i foolishly tried to do it with using Fujins to get BC generation going and ended up having Ulkina, Dshel and Azael all go down when they spammed aoe. Used my 2 Revive Lights on Ulkina and Dshel and just went on to finish the dungeon without Azael. Made it to the last fight with Atro without losing anyone else, was pretty easy to that point once i got Lilly's BC generation going. Towards the end of the last fight Lilly went down, but I took Atro's Angel Idol buff off the next turn and then finished the fight the turn after that.

Corgi

Banned
Ultor can be used for harder content that you don't want to cheese with dual Maxwell. I just cleared the Atro dungeon. Used Ultor x2, Dshel, Ulkina, Lilly Matah and Azael.

I lost Azael in Room 1 because i foolishly tried to do it with using Fujins to get BC generation going and ended up having Ulkina, Dshel and Azael all go down when they spammed aoe. Used my 2 Revive Lights on Ulkina and Dshel and just went on to finish the dungeon without Azael. Made it to the last fight with Atro without losing anyone else, was pretty easy to that point once i got Lilly's BC generation going. Towards the end of the last fight Lilly went down, but I took Atro's Angel Idol buff off the next turn and then finished the fight the turn after that.

he is a pain to micromanage imo because you can't be bb spamming with him unless you want him dead, or your party not getting BB if you are using lily matah.

weird unit.

Xetherion

he is a pain to micromanage imo because you can't be bb spamming with him unless you want him dead, or your party not getting BB if you are using lily matah.

weird unit.

I didn't have to micromanage him at all. I used his bb with one Ultor or the other every single turn. His Def is so massive with dual Ultor leads and his boost that even the GGC vol. 3 enemies were doing 1 digit damage hits to him, except for Atro's final form with his Atk buff up. He was still able to tank Atro's buffed final form and not die, though it was a scary amount of damage (Ultor took around 5k total damage from 1 turn of attacks i think).

Also aoe plus Lilly's BC drop and BC per turn buffs helped keep the rest of the party's bb gauges up, sometimes Dshel didn't have his up for a turn but I was able to survive anyway, just made sure Lilly guarded on those turns.

desverger

I definitely miss the portrait mode. Hard to play with one hand... well, impossible to play with one hand. The gacha is pretty stingy, and rerolling really sucks as it takes a long time.

YMMV. I'm a fossil and a cheapskate, so I tend to play these games without spending a dime.

Also, I started playing BF what was arguably the best time to start playing, just at the cusp of the 1 year anniversary. Since then, we've had the 1 year anniversary giveaway, christmas/holiday giveaway, and just now we're having the 20M downloads giveaway - so I certainly haven't lacked any currency in the game to play it for free.

Also the gacha has been massively generous to me, almost every pull has been put to some use and I've received a measly amount of dupes.

These facts combined is probably making me biased towards BF. It might be that CC is a new (?) game, and they don't have a lot of units so they have to keep the rare units rare. It might be they have a different marketing strategy or it's just a different game, I don't know.

Corgi

Banned
I didn't have to micromanage him at all. I used his bb with one Ultor or the other every single turn. His Def is so massive with dual Ultor leads and his boost that even the GGC vol. 3 enemies were doing 1 digit damage hits to him, except for Atro's final form with his Atk buff up. He was still able to tank Atro's buffed final form and not die, though it was a scary amount of damage (Ultor took around 5k total damage from 1 turn of attacks i think).

Also aoe plus Lilly's BC drop and BC per turn buffs helped keep the rest of the party's bb gauges up, sometimes Dshel didn't have his up for a turn but I was able to survive anyway, just made sure Lilly guarded on those turns.

needs to be a perfect storm of boss units attack pattern then. If a boss spams AOE most of the time, Ultor doesn't really need to be in the party imo.

Pretty much only found a must use out of him in scenarios where enemies does super hard hitting single target attacks and you don't want him to hit your mitigator or ulkina.

Anything else I feel like there are better untis around.

Xetherion

needs to be a perfect storm of boss units attack pattern then. If a boss spams AOE most of the time, Ultor doesn't really need to be in the party imo.

Pretty much only found a must use out of him in scenarios where enemies does super hard hitting single target attacks and you don't want him to hit your mitigator or ulkina.

Anything else I feel like there are better untis around.

I don't mean the bosses were spamming aoe. Atro was only using 1 aoe per round until he started getting low on hp. Of course if they spammed aoe Ultor would be a poor choice.

And yeah Ultor doesn't have many must use scenarios, but I find dual Ultor more fun to use for harder content than OTK everything with dual Maxwell.

Corgi

Banned
i quite enjoy triton + lily matah for bosses. Just feels like a good mix of survivability and BB regen and less chance of dying from bullshit.

dual triton is just boring.

crit squad is boring because it all depends on your crit landing. otherwise... you are pretty much screwed.

desverger

So what kind of a squad I need to field to be able to beat those GGC dungeons? I have the necessary units I feel, but I'm not sure if those are intended for almost full 6* teams?

Completing a few of those would be a nice for a few gems at least :p

Corgi

Banned
So what kind of a squad I need to field to be able to beat those GGC dungeons? I have the necessary units I feel, but I'm not sure if those are intended for almost full 6* teams?

Completing a few of those would be a nice for a few gems at least :p

the spheres are easily some of the best in the game so as long as you break even on geming, think its worth a shot.

also failed my first attempt against final GGC room. Didn't realize the last 2 stages were 1 boss, couldn't generate enough BB with triton/uda lead.

try again later when i have energy.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
YMMV. I'm a fossil and a cheapskate, so I tend to play these games without spending a dime.

Also, I started playing BF what was arguably the best time to start playing, just at the cusp of the 1 year anniversary. Since then, we've had the 1 year anniversary giveaway, christmas/holiday giveaway, and just now we're having the 20M downloads giveaway - so I certainly haven't lacked any currency in the game to play it for free.

Also the gacha has been massively generous to me, almost every pull has been put to some use and I've received a measly amount of dupes.

These facts combined is probably making me biased towards BF. It might be that CC is a new (?) game, and they don't have a lot of units so they have to keep the rare units rare. It might be they have a different marketing strategy or it's just a different game, I don't know.

I rerolled in other games about a million times total. In Chain, you need another ios device to reroll, and then you have to transfer your game to it. It's just annoying and takes about 15 a reroll. I got lazy after the first few rerolls ;) I'm not saying CC is better than BF - I've been playing BF daily just about since release. I just like to mix it up when there's nothing in BF for me to do.

Corgi

Banned
might just be me but I just can't stand more than 1 f2p game thing at a time. Normal game backlog is huge as it is.

Kreed

Have you guys tried Gumi's latest game, Chain Chronicles? I'm really digging it, after not really caring for the 9000 other PaD/BF clones (Terra Battle, etc).

I'm enjoying it for now since it's still in the simple stages, like how Brave was before Felneus and Douglas 6 star showed up, but I can already see the power creep coming. After using the fast forward button in addition to auto in this game, I really wish it was in Brave Frontier.

broz0rs

That Atro final encounter was a weird experience for me because I couldn't get a single crit off of him first turn with Dual Maxwell and SGX buff. However, second round I got a few crits off of him using just regular attacks and killed him, or so I thought.

Atro revives with Angel buff and absolutely dunks my team and kills everyone even with mitigation. I decided to just gem the fight and got the new sphere, which I'm probably never going to use unless we get raids.

Corgi

Banned
That Atro final encounter was a weird experience for me because I couldn't get a single crit off of him first turn with Dual Maxwell and SGX buff. However, second round I got a few crits off of him using just regular attacks and killed him, or so I thought.

Atro revives with Angel buff and absolutely dunks my team and kills everyone even with mitigation. I decided to just gem the fight and got the new sphere, which I'm probably never going to use unless we get raids.

did the opposite, atro had like 1000 hp left after his revive and i decide not to gem. Need to milk this 5min of content for as long as I can :(

Xetherion

i quite enjoy triton + lily matah for bosses. Just feels like a good mix of survivability and BB regen and less chance of dying from bullshit.

I find that Lilly is such a bc battery with just s/bb alone that she's not needed in the Leader spot usually. If I had failed the dungeon with dual Ultor I would have replaced one Ultor with Tridon for more survivability, but turns out I didn't need it.

Corgi

Banned
I find that Lilly is such a bc battery with just s/bb alone that she's not needed in the Leader spot usually. If I had failed the dungeon with dual Ultor I would have replaced one Ultor with Tridon for more survivability, but turns out I didn't need it.

You can never have enough BB :p

Even with this setup (rowgen,zelnite,shera, ulkina, lily math and triton lead) against Atro (just beat him a few min ago). Still had to use fujin once.

Xetherion

Lol, i'm surprised you needed a fujin with that set up. Rowgen is infinite and you've got Zelnite and Matah for the rest of the party. I only had Matah as a sub and I only used 3 fujins. Grats on beating Atro though.

Got to level 3 dungeon on Atro with Dual Maxwell. Didn't get enough crit and my only dark unit was Elza and Shida. Didn't kill Will and my team was destroyed.

Need more dark units and will try again later.

Corgi

Banned
Got to level 3 dungeon on Atro with Dual Maxwell. Didn't get enough crit and my only dark unit was Elza and Shida. Didn't kill Will and my team was destroyed.

Need more dark units and will try again later.

he has crit resistance of sorts. I'd recommend a more standard boss squad.

atro doesn't have anything fancy really besides angel.

A Maxwell trial team should easily beat him.

he has crit resistance of sorts. I'd recommend a more standard boss squad.

atro doesn't have anything fancy really besides angel.

A Maxwell trial team should easily beat him.
Brought a dark team with dual Maxwell. My Kajah didn't have sbb, but it was enough to OTK every wave. Didn't think I have to bring back Duel-SGX, but had to since my Ardin didn't have his sbb either.
Easy 4 gems and Urias.

desverger

I'm just trying to scrounge gems from questing lol.

Wish I could beat that stupid green jelly in Ignacia Cavern. That'd be a relatively easy gem :p

Anyone else crashing a lot lately? Seems to be quite frequent when I go to the quest map or unit box.

desverger

Wow, Shera actually leading the January most wanted poll. That's surprising.

Zelnite up there obviously, and Elza. But she's certainly wanted.

TimeKillr

1/2 energy and all evo dungeons out today.... but you should be grinding monday dungeon for that exp.

Yeah and the evo dungeons are up for a few days, so today everyone should really be grinding the monday dungeon for exp. Seriously.

I think you stop being self-sufficient with that dungeon at that rate around 120 purely based on XP, so it's still worth it if you're a bit higher (it helps to get ready for 7*!)

desverger

Most Wanted summon is also up. Darvanshel, Arus, Zelnite, Shera, Lilly Matah and Elza in there.

I scrounged up 15 gems but in the end, I don't think I'm gonna go ahead and pull :p

I have 4/6 of those units, so the odds are against it. Maybe if I didn't pull Elza and Shera this week during the special summon events..

TimeKillr

Most Wanted summon is also up. Darvanshel, Arus, Zelnite, Shera, Lilly Matah and Elza in there.

I scrounged up 15 gems but in the end, I don't think I'm gonna go ahead and pull :p

I have 4/6 of those units, so the odds are against it. Maybe if I didn't pull Elza and Shera this week during the special summon events..

Yeah I pulled twice, hoping for a Shera.

I got an Elza (my 4th one, lol) and Tiara (my 4th one also).

I'm not going to pull anything anymore until we get new units, because it's kinda ridiculous. I pretty much have everything to tackle all the crap in the game, just crafted my 5 Amanohabakens and I'm set for quite a while, really.

Corgi

Banned
yeah, pretty much the only units i'm looking forward to are rigness (already have 2 ulkinas though), the earth spark lady of that batch, and kira.

hope when they finally get raids working, they can drop content quicker. Wonder if we will get 7* stuff before the summer.

Lan_97

I've thrown in all my pulls in every event that contained an attacking mitigator. Finally got one today on my 6th pull. Oulu will be missed.

Eve (new)
Elza (A, third anima elza)
Zelnite (G, third zelnite)
Amy (A, 5th amy?)
Arus (L, new)
Shera (G, new)

desverger

I've thrown in all my pulls in every event that contained an attacking mitigator. Finally got one today on my 6th pull. Oulu will be missed.

Eve (new)
Elza (A, third anima elza)
Zelnite (G, third zelnite)
Amy (A, 5th amy?)
Arus (L, new)
Shera (G, new)

Grats, Shera is awesome!

7 Rare Summons:
Thunder Guard Shera x2 (Breaker and Guardian)
Thunder Beast Ahvel (Breaker)
Sea Pirate Eve (Aniima)
Aquamancer Kuhla (Breaker)
Dictator Lilly Matah (Breaker)
Sky Angel Kusha (Oracle)

chrono01

With the Level 3 Karma dungeon, and the 1/2 Stamina event, I can effectively run it nonstop, since I'm only Level 102. It's nice to get my Level/Cost up, and I'm gaining Karma in the process.

Amazing.

broz0rs

Frontier Hunter is back. Scores and rank are intact so you'll be continuing where you left off before FH was taken down.

Corgi

Banned
With the Level 3 Karma dungeon, and the 1/2 Stamina event, I can effectively run it nonstop, since I'm only Level 102. It's nice to get my Level/Cost up, and I'm gaining Karma in the process.

Amazing.
Bit too high lvl atm. Still went from 145 to 155 today. Not too shabby during a pretty busy work day.

desverger

So, what do I need to score big in Frontier Hunter? I feel like I should be able to blow the Entrance stage out of existence, but even when I 1TKO every room, I still get around 25k points. Do I need more weak element hits?

Also, what happens if I fail a dungeon? I was considering trying Terminus, but I squeaked past End just barely, so I most likely wouldn't be able to reach the end of Terminus.

edit: Actually, End wasn't that bad. What was I thinking!

TimeKillr

So, what do I need to score big in Frontier Hunter? I feel like I should be able to blow the Entrance stage out of existence, but even when I 1TKO every room, I still get around 25k points. Do I need more weak element hits?

Also, what happens if I fail a dungeon? I was considering trying Terminus, but I squeaked past End just barely, so I most likely wouldn't be able to reach the end of Terminus.

edit: Actually, End wasn't that bad. What was I thinking!

Essentially, you want to make sure you do the most of the following things:

1- Elemental weakness hits
2- Overkills
3- Kill multiple enemies at once

That's why people love Shida for this - his SBB gives all elements to everyone, then you can just unload with high hit count stuff to destroy stages.

My setup right now is Leader Maxwell + Friend Maxwell + Elza + Fiora + Lucca + Ardin. Depending on the enemies on the stage, I activate one of the element changers first, then unload and rack up tons of points.

I also went full crit squad on Terminus and got like 1.4mil points, so that was nice.

desverger

Essentially, you want to make sure you do the most of the following things:

1- Elemental weakness hits
2- Overkills
3- Kill multiple enemies at once

That's why people love Shida for this - his SBB gives all elements to everyone, then you can just unload with high hit count stuff to destroy stages.

My setup right now is Leader Maxwell + Friend Maxwell + Elza + Fiora + Lucca + Ardin. Depending on the enemies on the stage, I activate one of the element changers first, then unload and rack up tons of points.

I also went full crit squad on Terminus and got like 1.4mil points, so that was nice.

Yeah, I noticed multi-kills get a ton of points, so it's probably better to set up for those.

Woot, tanked Terminus with the ultimate worst squad imaginable, had no added elements but I just outlasted it with Ultor and Shera. Brought a 4* Rowgen there just to die on the first room and never ressed him :p

Managed 750k nonetheless, just enough to get the 3 gems!

Corgi

Banned
the core strategy of scoring high typically revolves around shida and abusing high hit units (ala narza) with the halloween and lexida spheres.

Pretty much score big on weak element attacks. You can easily hit 2mil with this.

problem is this takes like 40min per run :p

TimeKillr

Yeah, I noticed multi-kills get a ton of points, so it's probably better to set up for those.

Woot, tanked Terminus with the ultimate worst squad imaginable, had no added elements but I just outlasted it with Ultor and Shera. Brought a 4* Rowgen there just to die on the first room and never ressed him :p

Managed 750k nonetheless, just enough to get the 3 gems!

Grats!

Now the thing you want to do for Terminus if you're trying to get more points is have a Maxwell friend :) It'll really, REALLY help.

Also make sure you use the Marauder set and use an Attack Potion on every stage. The No Item bonus is nice, but the extra points you'll make off Attack Bonus and Overkill will overshadow it by quite a bit.

the core strategy of scoring high typically revolves around shida and abusing high hit units (ala narza) with the halloween and lexida spheres.

Pretty much score big on weak element attacks. You can easily hit 2mil with this.

problem is this takes like 40min per run :p

Yeah, that works, too, but I still manage to hit really high scores using a crit squad or an elemental change squad. It's just so boring to do those 40 minute runs that I find it's just not worth it.

Kreed

How are you guys keeping your BB up with double Maxwell leads? I've been using one Maxwell and either Elza or Deemo to keep my BB up (other members are Shida, Kuda, Zephyr, and Ulkina). I usually score around 1.4 million with this set up, but I could probably do a lot more if I could make double Maxwell work.

Top Bottom