• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brave Frontier |OT| No puzzles, just dragons

Corgi

Banned
Elimo is my only healer, so 4 pulls in hopes of a new healer:

Phee (A)
Great Tree Alneu (G)
2x Prodigy Themis (A, L)

I wanted Tree when he first came out, so I'm happy.

lol. I actually think your unit list is turning out quite good. think you might be able to tackle some of the trials soon :p

think Karl and Maxwell should be easily doable with your guys.

currently have 165 item list. will probably increase. I usually end up spending a few gems on it every FH to balance out all the new spheres you get.

TimeKillr

I'm at 300 capacity (and I'm always running out of space, heh).

For items, I'm at 200, and since crafting my amanohabakens I just sell *everything* - there's nothing worth crafting anymore until raids come out, and even then it's so easy to farm the stuff I need I'm not too worried.

So now we have Super Honor Summon until.. monday...........................................

I find Gumi is just so annoying when they do those events. If you can't get most of the evo mats during the SHS, why do it? I sure as hell won't waste pulls on it :(

Never had luther strip anything on me.

Yes, you did. You just never noticed.

Also global allows you have have 5 revives equipped at once due to crescent dews... so you need to be REAL unlucky if you run out of all of those.

feel like cardes is way less reliant on luck than say maxwell before tridon came out.

Took me about 20 tries to beat him.

Maxwell being lucky is besides the point. I didn't say she wasn't reliant on luck. But Maxwell was a unit I actually wanted, so I could put up with luck because the payoff was worth.

Cardes is a bad unit that I can't see myself ever using. Even with the 660% SBB with 33 hits, the 660% isn't nearly as good as it sounds because Cardes's ATK is just bad when put up against other high quality modern units. I, personally, have 31 units with a better ATK than Cardes.

Corgi

Banned
Yes, you did. You just never noticed.

Maxwell being lucky is besides the point. I didn't say she wasn't reliant on luck. But Maxwell was a unit I actually wanted, so I could put up with luck because the payoff was worth.

Cardes is a bad unit that I can't see myself ever using. Even with the 660% SBB with 33 hits, the 660% isn't nearly as good as it sounds because Cardes's ATK is just bad when put up against other high quality modern units. I, personally, have 31 units with a better ATK than Cardes.

yeah cardes is pretty bad, except for dark/light bosses which there are quite a few. Like he will be quite good for the boss that gives you the mat for Grah 6*.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bravefrontier/comments/2uv3qx/maxwell_now_has_66_dc/

so apparently maxwell's SBB rate was updated to JP rates, so its a monsterous 66 DC.

if people somehow still have problems with keeping infinite BB, this will definitely help :p

http://www.reddit.com/r/bravefrontier/comments/2uv3qx/maxwell_now_has_66_dc/

so apparently maxwell's SBB rate was updated to JP rates, so its a monsterous 66 DC.

if people somehow still have problems with keeping infinite BB, this will definitely help :p

I can't say this guy is wrong, but his test is flawed because he assumes he understands BC drops.

Nobody does.

Nobody can explain why a party of Lucca Fiora Duel-SGX Elza Maxwell(x2 leads) can get back to full SBB against a single target even if Maxwell had 66 drop checks, because you still need more crystals than you can get by raw drop checks per unit.

My personal theory is that there is a bonus to bc drops based on raw damage.

Incidentally he's wrong about it being "now". You could do this same test ~4 months ago and get the same result, which is the first time I saw someone trying to prove Maxwell had 66 drop checks.

TimeKillr

doesn't spark increase BC rates too?

Yeah and that is completely unclear also. I don't even know if it's been 100% proven that there's a BC rate increase on sparks (only damage has been proven on sparks).

There might be an extra BC drop rate on some factors like damage and such (even maybe on crits, which could explain the Fiora/Lucca/SGX/Elza/Maxwell thing) that we don't know about, but the drop check mechanism + the base BC drop rate and how it all works has been pretty well documented so far.

Not to mention that BCs are randomly assigned and they're pretty much never all visible due to bugs and sprite limitations it's pretty hard to do very exhaustive tests without running a memory inspector next to the game (and being iOS or Android is kinda rough, I guess you could inspect Genymotion's memory but I don't even know if it's possible).

Corgi

Banned
hmmm rosetta half 6* is out. You should get a rosetta if you don't have an elza. One of the best LS in the current metagame.

They really are struggling now that jp is releasing 7* RS. Quite curious how long it will take for them to get 7* out in global if they want to keep releasing new units.

rates also seem way better than last time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Few more pulls with new units as I flesh out my box!

Ember Elder Fiora (A)
Nick (L)
Hail Bot Reeze (L)
Earthly II & Mina (G)
Zellha (O)
Dark Blades Zergel (B)

Should I be happy/excited about any of these in particular?

TimeKillr

Few more pulls with new units as I flesh out my box!

Ember Elder Fiora (A)
Nick (L)
Hail Bot Reeze (L)
Earthly II & Mina (G)
Zellha (O)
Dark Blades Zergel (B)

Should I be happy/excited about any of these in particular?

Fiora is good to have as an element giver, Nick is good if you don't have Zelnite (he has a better item drop rate buff, so it's better for farming) and Zellha has 30 hits off her SBB but is otherwise pretty ordinary. Zergel has the best ATK buff in the game (130% at SBB10) and a nice BB with a BB fill effect.

Overall not too bad!

doesn't spark increase BC rates too?

Spark increasing BC drop totals could actually fit in with my raw damage theory, because we know (and can easily prove) that sparks can do that.

For a long time I thought overkill was what gave extra drops but then ran into Terminus enemies with enough health to survive and would still get way more crystals than expected.

Another possibility is all units drop a base # of crystals, and the number extracted from the database is extra drops, not total drops.

As TimeKillr said it is so hard to test this stuff because you have no way to see the crystals themselves, all you can really do is say "yep/nope" on fills without some kind of memory analyzing tool.

TimeKillr

Spark increasing BC drop totals could actually fit in with my raw damage theory, because we know (and can easily prove) that sparks can do that.

For a long time I thought overkill was what gave extra drops but then ran into Terminus enemies with enough health to survive and would still get way more crystals than expected.

Another possibility is all units drop a base # of crystals, and the number extracted from the database is extra drops, not total drops.

As TimeKillr said it is so hard to test this stuff because you have no way to see the crystals themselves, all you can really do is say "yep/nope" on fills without some kind of memory analyzing tool.

I've read on Reddit through their mechanics analysis that this is how BC gen works:

Code:
Base Value. 35%. This can change in FH, but apparently that function is still unused.
Inherent Drop Rate Bonus. This is a stat inherent to some BB and SBB, but usually 0%.
Unit Buff. The currently active BC drop rate buff from a unit's BB or SBB. Only one can be active; newer buffs delete older buffs.
Item Buff. The currently active item drop rate buff. Again, newer buffs delete older buffs.
Sphere 1/2. Bonus from equipped spheres.
LS 1/2. Bonus from equipped LS. Note that some LS are only active during sparks.
Enemy BC Resistance. A hidden stat that enemies can have. We're yet to find a case of it being used, however.
Overkill Multiplier. This is x2.0 to all drop rates (not just BC) but only present on hits that land after the target hits 0 HP.

Overkill does factor into it. This is all taken from datamining the game's data files that has all the info in it, so it should be accurate. They also say Sparking might factor into it but there's no definite data on this.

Corgi

Banned
lol apparently rosetta LS is bugged.

wonder if Gumi will ever release a batch that isn't broken in some way.

Wonder if I can get a refund on my gems for priscilla, who I was originally planning on using against cardes... if her party buff actually worked.

I've read on Reddit through their mechanics analysis that this is how BC gen works:

Code:
Base Value. 35%. This can change in FH, but apparently that function is still unused.
Inherent Drop Rate Bonus. This is a stat inherent to some BB and SBB, but usually 0%.
Unit Buff. The currently active BC drop rate buff from a unit's BB or SBB. Only one can be active; newer buffs delete older buffs.
Item Buff. The currently active item drop rate buff. Again, newer buffs delete older buffs.
Sphere 1/2. Bonus from equipped spheres.
LS 1/2. Bonus from equipped LS. Note that some LS are only active during sparks.
Enemy BC Resistance. A hidden stat that enemies can have. We're yet to find a case of it being used, however.
Overkill Multiplier. This is x2.0 to all drop rates (not just BC) but only present on hits that land after the target hits 0 HP.

Overkill does factor into it. This is all taken from datamining the game's data files that has all the info in it, so it should be accurate. They also say Sparking might factor into it but there's no definite data on this.

All of this is related to the % chance for a drop to occur given there's a BC drop with a chance. Like if Unit X had 30 drop chances, will each chance have 35% or 80% to drop.

The unanswered question is what causes a drop chance. And that's the one that, as far as I know, nobody knows beyond the innate chance to drop extracted from the units data. But this Maxwell test is another in several tests I've seen where the number of actual drops is greater than the number of theoretical drops possible based purely on the drop chance of the unit in use.

TimeKillr

All of this is related to the % chance for a drop to occur given there's a BC drop with a chance. Like if Unit X had 30 drop chances, will each chance have 35% or 80% to drop.

The unanswered question is what causes a drop chance. And that's the one that, as far as I know, nobody knows beyond the innate chance to drop extracted from the units data. But this Maxwell test is another in several tests I've seen where the number of actual drops is greater than the number of theoretical drops possible based purely on the drop chance of the unit in use.

Isn't it kinda clear that this is the amount of drop checks per hit?

If a unit does 10 hits and has 2 drop checks per hit, there's 20 drop checks. Every drop check has a chance to drop BC, HC, Zel, Karma and an Item. That's pretty much it (I think there's some rules on items, like probably a single unit can drop an item only once) but it's pretty simple.

So if Maxwell has 33 hits and 1 drop check per hit, he has 33 drop checks. What people are saying is that there are 2 drop checks per hit now, so he has 66 drop checks. What we do not know, however, is if some outside factors (like crits/sparks/etc) add an additional drop check or not or if they just add to the chance to drop during the drop check where they're triggered. Otherwise everything is pretty much in the data, really. You get X drop checks (what you call drop chances) per hit.

Otherwise everything is pretty much in the data, really. You get X drop checks (what you call drop chances) per hit.

This is precisely the point. What causes drop checks is _not_ in the known data. At all. But people keep running miniscule tests and because Maxwell gets to full SBB they assume they know why. I want people to question the assumptions.

When this was proposed months ago, I put this forward (which was in fact happening in FH at the time, to my team):

Let's pretend Maxwell has 66 drops, which is the theory people periodically put out there.

How does this party, even given that, get to full SBB against a single target using all SBBs the prior round?

Duel-SGX - BC cost 30, gen 20
Lucca - BC cost 40, gen 19
Fiora - BC cost 40, gen 16
Elza - BC cost 45, gen 30
Maxwell - BC cost 49, gen 66
Maxwell - BC cost 49, gen 66

Total BC cost 253, gen 217.

Maxwell "being at 66 drops" does not explain it. It's not even close to explaining it.

People keep doing these individual tests on Maxwell, ignoring all other units and all other possibilities. Something gives extra drops, and because people are so focused on Maxwell and what they "know", they ignore the fact that it goes far beyond Maxwell.

I see no reason to believe, given the above, that Maxwell really does have 66 drops.

No, I believe Maxwell still drops 33, and that the other drops account for the rest of their test. But since none of them want to do any testing beyond Maxwell, they have convinced themselves that Maxwell has 66 drops, as in JP.

Corgi

Banned
bah got a billion almas, yet still haven't seen a atro.

and thats crazy, how did you get full sbb's on single target with dual maxwells? o_O

Was thinking about summoning for this rate up, but apparently there are three stars being summoned, so I'd rather not take the risk.

Also I went through level 3 in Alma's dungeon like 7 times today trying to capture her. I even managed to get an Atro before I finally got her.

Corgi

Banned
Was thinking about summoning for this rate up, but apparently there are three stars being summoned, so I'd rather not take the risk.

Also I went through level 3 in Alma's dungeon like 7 times today trying to capture her. I even managed to get an Atro before I finally got her.
Let's trade. I have 12 almas 7 are anima :(

Still no atro. Only hero I'm missing.

Well today, I help a friend of mine get Maxwell. He had no mitigator so I had to run my Darvanshel. It took 3 attempts, but I finally got her for him.
For my good deed of the day, I did my first pull and got a Rosetta (L). It's not Zergel, but I'll take her.

Corgi

Banned
Well today, I help a friend of mine get Maxwell. He had no mitigator so I had to run my Darvanshel. It took 3 attempts, but I finally got her for him.
For my good deed of the day, I did my first pull and got a Rosetta (L). It's not Zergel, but I'll take her.

What's so good about zergel? I have 3 of him yet haven't found a desire to lvl him.

Corgi

Banned
130% attack buff sbb.
Will level my Rosetta in the meantime.

now that i think about it, I don't often use attack or crit buffers in my parties these days.

healer/status curer
spark buffer
party elemental buffer
mitigator
2nd elemental buffer of different elements

sometimes I sub one for kuda if I need attack/crit, or zelnite for healing/BC gen.

edit: welp, all the complaining worked. Got a lord atro :3

garath

Just started playing this. Luck is pretty terrible unfortunately :( I've done 4? pulls so far since I started playing earlier this week and nothing but 3 and 4 stars :(

Best team so far is:

Nalmika
Burning Vargas
Red Hood Ciara
Semira
princess emilia

Using Ciara as the leader for now. Thanks to the honor summon event I have Ciara, Vargas, Semira and Princess Emilia all maxed just need evo materials. Just pulled Nalmika and have her to 45 so far.

Grinding out more quests for gems to pull again while the rate up is happening but doesn't look like I'll get another 5 by the end of it. Maybe...

Corgi

Banned
Always does. Grats!

I did a few pulls, got Ophelia and Melchio :p

I guess Melchio isn't bad, but was hoping for Zergel. Goddamnit!

lol ill fuse a few of mine away and hope that spirtual energy is transfered to you!

Still can't find a use for him :S

desverger

Just started playing this. Luck is pretty terrible unfortunately :( I've done 4? pulls so far since I started playing earlier this week and nothing but 3 and 4 stars :(

Best team so far is:

Nalmika
Burning Vargas
Red Hood Ciara
Semira
princess emilia

Using Ciara as the leader for now. Thanks to the honor summon event I have Ciara, Vargas, Semira and Princess Emilia all maxed just need evo materials. Just pulled Nalmika and have her to 45 so far.

Grinding out more quests for gems to pull again while the rate up is happening but doesn't look like I'll get another 5 by the end of it. Maybe...

In this game, star rating isn't everything - most (new) units can be evolved up to 6*, especially Ciara and Semira become monsters. They are Global exclusive units and as such, pretty great pulls!

Nalmika is another recent unit with good stats, but Emilia is an old unit and as such, has lower stats than the newer ones. Still something to use when you don't have anything better, and you might want to keep her around for your mono-thunder squad.

Ciara should serve as your lead unit for quite a while, she has a tremendous attack power boost and weak element damage boost, and her bb/sbb hit for a ton of damage for all enemies.

If you want to add me as a friend, my id is 5313614031 - I mostly use Ultor as my lead which could potentially compliment your Ciara quite well.

Corgi

Banned
yeah star rating means nothing. new units typically come out in 4* where the 5* form is a super rare pull. But you can easily evolve them to 5* no problem.

garath

In this game, star rating isn't everything - most (new) units can be evolved up to 6*, especially Ciara and Semira become monsters. They are Global exclusive units and as such, pretty great pulls!

Nalmika is another recent unit with good stats, but Emilia is an old unit and as such, has lower stats than the newer ones. Still something to use when you don't have anything better, and you might want to keep her around for your mono-thunder squad.

Ciara should serve as your lead unit for quite a while, she has a tremendous attack power boost and weak element damage boost, and her bb/sbb hit for a ton of damage for all enemies.

If you want to add me as a friend, my id is 5313614031 - I mostly use Ultor as my lead which could potentially compliment your Ciara quite well.

Thanks!! I actually feel a bit better about the state of things after this post. Going to have to put some focus into finding the evo materials for Ciara and Semira then asap.

Sent you a friend request. I'm garath on there too. Thanks :)

Kreed

Thanks!! I actually feel a bit better about the state of things after this post. Going to have to put some focus into finding the evo materials for Ciara and Semira then asap.

Sent you a friend request. I'm garath on there too. Thanks :)

Ironically I had the opposite experience going from this to playing Chain Chronicle thinking I could evolve 3 star cards into something better.

desverger

Ironically I had the opposite experience going from this to playing Chain Chronicle thinking I could evolve 3 star cards into something better.

They are different games for sure :p

You can tell BF, even Global, has been around for over a year already.

Apparently CC v2 will be far more generous with stuff, but who knows when Global will get that.

I still think both can be fun to play, but you just have to know where you're getting at. Currently the story in CC can be cleared with 3* units (I think), while some of the more advanced stuff in BF certainly requires certain units in your party.

and thats crazy, how did you get full sbb's on single target with dual maxwells? o_O

It was against a Dark Unit (although I don't remember which one), which is partially why I think Raw Damage gives bonus drops. I really don't know.

Could be any number of things. Raw Damage. Sparks. Crits. Weak Element attacks. Overkill. 1 turn kill. I feel like I'm just listing all the things that give points in FH. :)

Corgi

Banned
It was against a Dark Unit (although I don't remember which one), which is partially why I think Raw Damage gives bonus drops. I really don't know.

Could be any number of things. Raw Damage. Sparks. Crits. Weak Element attacks. Overkill. 1 turn kill. I feel like I'm just listing all the things that give points in FH. :)

crazy. the reason i stopped using maxwell leads in FH was because fh10 had so many 1 unit maps and i had a tough time keeping bb up.

Emilia is an old unit and as such, has lower stats than the newer ones.

JP server rebalanced all the old units a while ago so things are much more evenly balanced. I hope that patch comes to the global server.

6* Emilia for example in the Global server requires 18 bc to get BB and it has a damage bonus of 440. In JP he requires 16 BC and damage bonus 480. Similar changes were done to BC drops and the SBB attacks for the older units.

I point this out to emphasize that keeping those older units around might not be such a bad idea, if they all get buffed in the future.

Corgi

Banned
JP server rebalanced all the old units a while ago so things are much more evenly balanced. I hope that patch comes to the global server.

6* Emilia for example in the Global server requires 18 bc to get BB and it has a damage bonus of 440. In JP he requires 16 BC and damage bonus 480. Similar changes were done to BC drops and the SBB attacks for the older units.

I point this out to emphasize that keeping those older units around might not be such a bad idea, if they all get buffed in the future.
Also 7* is worth keeping old units around. Especially ones that aren't killed off in the lore ;)

desverger

Yeah, it's worth keeping any unit you get, box space is relatively cheap anyway. I still have my Aisha, which was my first ever pull :p

Kreed

How's sea pirate eve? Got her today with the free summon ticket.

She's useful, though not as much as Ciara and Semira. At 6 star she becomes a HP boost lead, as well as providing a defense buff and Earth/Water buff when activating her Super Brave Burst. Until you get a damage mitigation unit (Oulu, Narza, Darvanshel, Shera), defense buffs will be important so she can fill that space for now.

desverger

How's sea pirate eve? Got her today with the free summon ticket.

I always thought she was pretty useful, due to the dual element buff.

My pulls were okay I suppose, was hoping to get Zergel for a BB spam lead. But I pulled 5 times total and here's what I got as non-dupes:
Ophelia (B)
Melchio (A)
Rosetta (G)
Vael (G)

Almost all green too, I can make a great mono-earth team now :p

garath

Damn. Another 5 gems and got a dupe red hood ciara. Anything to do with dupes? :(

BTW thanks for the input on sea pirate eve. I think I'll use her instead of nalmika for now. I get owned by aoe mobs like the vampire. Defense will be good.

Xetherion

Dupes can be fused to the same unit and it pretty much guarantees their Brave Burst level will go up by 1. Don't do this until you have the unit at its final evolution tier though, as BB level is halved, rounded down, upon evolving.

Top Bottom