• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Thinking back, the minute Walt hit that window and the snow perfectly cleared from the window I knew this would be a good episode for Walt. Things have been going bad for him this whole half season but finally he got some luck on his side again.

Imm0rt4l

I remember in rehab Jesse spoke about how he made a box for mr. White back in high school for a passing grade. I think his first attempt was a half ass job

Radec

Just saw the finale..

Goddamn!

What a way to end this masterpiece.

TV will never be the same again. :(

Farewell Mr. White, you earned your rest.

diamount

Banned
Some of the replies in this thread make me wonder if people were watching the same show. Where did he get the M60? Was Skinny Pete and Badger being elite killers ever hinted at? Not knowing how Gretchen and Elliot were going to get the money to Walt Jr?

Are you people serious?

And how in gods name is this episode a win for Walt? Reaching man, reaching.

He bought the m60 from that weapons dealer featured in Season 4, he transacted the deal while in that Denny's. If you watched the first 5 episodes then you would remember. Pete and Badger were given laser pointers so it would like sniper rifles and with Walt's criminal nature now known at that point, they probably took the bait. It's also a win because they are dead.

The bit where Walt finds the key, starts the car, plays the tape and with smug, self satisfaction, he knocks the ice off the window without even giving it a second glance, because he's officially awesome again; that might be my favourite moment of the finale.

ipBQ7jr.png

This scared me the first time I saw it. I truly thought he would murder them brutally.

Solid Snake/Sam Fisher indeed.

dmshaposv

I remember in rehab Jesse spoke about how he made a box for mr. White back in high school for a passing grade. I think his first attempt was a half ass job

Is that so? For me the only thing that I couldn't get a reference for was the jesse box making "daydream".

it wasn't for walter white. it was for another teacher. and yeah he kept going at it until he could perfect it. his first sense of accomplishment.

this finale wasn't that great for me but i really liked the final scene with jesse and walt as they slightly nodded. and the look walt gave when he was watching flynn. walt absolutely did not win with that look. he looked completely heartbroken when he realized he will never speak to him again and that his memory of his father is tarnished for good.

and most importantly we got to see badger and skinny pete again.

rekameohs

Banned

No, that was for his woodworking class. Why would a chemistry teacher have an assignment where a student makes a box?

So with Saul surviving the series, is the spin-off show going to be strictly a prequel or will we also get to see what happens in the Breaking Bad universe beyond the story of Walter White. Would be kind of brilliant to see cameos from the characters that survived the show. Of course, there's a massive problem in that Saul panicked and jumped ship and is now a lumberjack, but who knows what he could be indicted for. Certainly, I'd be more up for a series that can act as potentially both a prequel and a sequel. Or maybe it's just that in the aftermath of this amazing finale, I see a small glimmer of hope to see what happens afterwards.

Season 5, as a whole, is the best final season of any show ever. The Shield has lost its top spot.

I feel the show didn't become truly great until season 5. It was always in the top tier, but everything came together so perfectly this season it was a tour de force of television. It went out on the highest possible terms.

Season 5 is the same tier of television as the likes of The Wire, The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Deadwood. The other four seasons were great, but they were never quite in the same league for me.

Gonna miss it.

gotoadgo

He bought the m60 from that weapons dealer featured in Season 4, he transacted the deal while in that Denny's. If you watched the first 5 episodes then you would remember. Pete and Badger were given laser pointers so it would like sniper rifles and with Walt's criminal nature now known at that point, they probably took the bait. It's also a win because they are dead.
I realise all of this, I was pointing out the fact that OTHER people had asked these questions.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I am so emotional right now I want to start my own OP. I don't know if anyone will read this or understand where I'm coming from but here goes: the Breaking Bad ending was my personal Sopranos ending.

Sopranos got a lot of flack with the way it ended. Everyone wanted to see Tony get what was coming to him, the show runners didn't give it to them, and so on. I loved the Sopranos ending the way it happened. I knew instantly what its ending meant and while I may have preferred a better ending even with the
entire family executed
I was totally content with how it ended. I hated Tony and yet I still found myself loving the ending.

With Breaking Bad I also hated basically every character, I mean, I really couldn't stand their life choices and their behavior.

Yet this ending made me completely and utterly change course, and I still hated it.

Fucking spoilers:

For one, Walt never truly recanted, or admitted it was about him. He required his wife to prompt his admission that it wasn't about him. She said basically "If you say it's about family one more time..." and he said it wasn't. Score +1 against Walt. He said what she wanted him to say! Fuck! Then with Jesse, he says "Tell me you want me to shoot you," and again, he does! Both times it was about telling the other person what HE, what WALT wanted. It was an entirely fucking bullshit thing. Then he follows Jesse out and speaks loudly on the phone about Lydia. There's no need for that, he could've sat in his juices and died out right fucking there.

But no, he had to, once again, prove he won something. While it was a relief to Jesse, it was in fact no win for his own redemption, he did it for himself. One more "I AM GOD" type of thing. His ego at that moment, you can even see it on his face, it was drenching. And of course, the entire show, from start to end, ends with Walt being fucking sentimental about his "business." About a man showing no regret, about a man showing no compassion, about a man who truly went from a nice guy to the evil incarnate. Patting one of the meth dyrers and just in awe of himself.

To me, the ending was my Sopranos. I hate it. Except, unlike those who hated the Sopranos ending, I can see it for what it was. A truly brilliant piece about a man whose ego grew so big he died with a fucking smile on his face.

dan2026

Solid last episode.

I really do wish people would stop putting this show on a pedestal though.

As long as it inspires other good shows I am satisfied.

rekameohs

Banned
So with Saul surviving the series, is the spin-off show going to be strictly a prequel or will we also get to see what happens in the Breaking Bad universe beyond the story of Walter White. Would be kind of brilliant to see cameos from the characters that survived the show. Of course, there's a massive problem in that Saul panicked and jumped ship and is now a lumberjack, but who knows what he could be indicted for. Certainly, I'd be more up for a series that can act as potentially both a prequel and a sequel. Or maybe it's just that in the aftermath of this amazing finale, I see a small glimmer of hope to see what happens afterwards.

Gotta love those Nebraska lumberjacks...

It's a prequel. :p

forreal. the original comic is inaccurate. public health care? that fucking charity is beneath mr. white. there is no way he can accept it like a beggar.

rekameohs

Banned
"FUCK you Gretchen"

The moment he thought "i'll make my own billion dollar empire, you fucks".

Psh, and he only made 80 million, 69 of which went unused. Elliott and Gretchen would scoff at that petty sum of cash, but they're too scared of Beaver and The Other One right now.

Card Boy

Banned
Found this interesting.....

Breaking Bad has 62 episodes. The 62nd element on the periodic table is Samarium. Samarium can be used to treat lung cancer.

I really liked the Todd and Walt relationship. Dude was psycho but he respected Walt till the end.

We'll never find out what he was about to say before Jesse choked the life out of him, but I'd like to think it was, "Mr. White....d-did you just wipe out my uncle's entire crew with an M60 rigged up to a remote activated, automatic pulley system in the bonnet of your car? because that was just awesome. Do you think the three of us could team up again? I have Ben & Jerry's in the freezer. Hey, wait, my girlfriend is ringing me, I have to take this."

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
We'll never find out what he was about to say before Jesse choked the life out of him, but I'd like to think it was, "Mr. White....d-did you just wipe out my uncle's entire crew with an M60 rigged up to a remote activated, automatic pulley system in the bonnet of your car? because that was just awesome. Do you think the three of us could team up again? I have Ben & Jerry's in the freezer. Hey, wait, my girlfriend is ringing me, I have to take this."

More like:

http://i.imgur.com/XU4BkLF.png

7he Talon

An one know where I can pre-order the 'Breaking Bad - The Complete Series (Barrel Edition) in Australia? If I pre-order it off Amazon they'll ship here, right?
Also, will it work on our blueray players?

I really want this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
In a moral sense.. Did Lydia deserve to die? I can't remember her actually doing bad (meth dealing aside). But it's been awhile since I saw season 5 part 1.

rekameohs

Banned
It's pretty funny that the writers knew that viewers would confuse Carol for Walt's other neighbor in "Face Off", so they threw in some goofy dialogue about it with Skyler and Marie.

In a moral sense.. Did Lydia deserve to die? I can't remember her actually doing bad (meth dealing aside). But it's been awhile since I saw season 5 part 1.

Yes, ordered a hit on mike and all of his men. Tried to have Skyler killed. And really she is just a dangerous person. And shutting down blue meth once and for all is reason enough.

squidyj

Yes, she was the worst. Todd was all like "I don't really think we need to kill her..." TODD, of all fucking peolple. But lydia was all "But she knows what I look like and I'm a wound-too-tight psychocrazyperson, SHE MUST DIE"

thankfully Todd was able to distract her with 92% purity and blue color.

Top Bottom