• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

An one know where I can pre-order the 'Breaking Bad - The Complete Series (Barrel Edition) in Australia? If I pre-order it off Amazon they'll ship here, right?
Also, will it work on our blueray players?

I really want this.

It's $235 from JB. You wouldn't really be saving anything

He didn't know. He figured they had partnered up.
He probably had every intention of killing the nazis and then Jesse. Until he saw him.

They talked about this is Talking Bad. Once Walt saw what had become of Jesse, he felt sorry for him and perhaps reflected on earlier times and all the things the two of them went through together, and had change of heart.
After he had been shot, and was going to die anyway, he gave Jesse the gun for Jesse's peace of mind, figuring Jesse wanted to kill him.
If it wasn't for the gunshot wound I'm not sure what Walt woukd have said or done, but he wouldn't have acted the same way.

If thats really what the intention was, I feel like they did a poor job getting that across, because that's not how I read the scene at all. It felt like Walt was just manipulating them into bringing Jesse out so that he could make sure he was safe during the attack

Kind of wish we didn't have all of these explanations on Talking Bad and shit so that we could just come to our own conclusions here

Empty

i didn't really care for the finale. it wasn't a catastrophe but i thought it was a pretty average episode to end on. especially after two terrific episodes.

i thought there were two really outstanding scenes: jesse crafting his box and walt seeing flynn at a distance knowing he can't say anything anymore. those were very powerful and befitting a finale.

on the other hand the rest was quite mediocre. i didn't like how walt conveniently got away with so many perfectly orchestrated outlandish schemes so they could connect the dots in 55 minutes. he happened to be able to find out gretchin and elliot's address by bluffing. then he happened to confront them in front of the right windows for laser pointers which came on just at the right time in his speech to fool them. then he happened to have lydia pegged perfectly as someone who will arrive at the time he knows and happened to plant the ricin in the tea satchet just before she sat down so she'd use it without being noticed or raising alarm or having a pesky waiter or other customer interfere. then he happened to be able to park his car where he wanted in the nazi base and everyone happened to be standing in the right place and the crazy gun mechanism happened to work fine and wreck them all but todd. oh and he happened to bop around alberqueque with ease despite the police knowing he was there.

all this stuff is fine in small doses, isolated i could believe each part, but all crammed quickly into one felt silly to me. sure breaking bad has always been about taking a ridiculous premise then exploring it in great depth and taking the consequences all the way, yet i didn't feel it did the latter either. the finale felt really clean to me beyond the accumulation of walt's grand manipulations pulling off. like walt was finished sure, but he secured his family financially and politically (both from the law and the criminal underworld), he got to have his big sympathetic mea culpa, marie is talking to skylar again. jesse escapes into the night to move on. i love breaking bad for its moral ambiguity and rich depiction of how walt's actions effect the people around him, i wanted something morally messier at the end, to finish this grand tragedy. what we got felt hollow to me.

as a sidenote. i was dissapointed how little we got of jesse this episode given how huge a part he is of the show.

Robot Pants

Okay, I knew I should have watched Talking Bad. That seems out of character for Walt though. Given all the evidence to think that Jesse had partnered up.
Jesse being held captive and forced to cook probably didn't cross his mind. To Walt, Jack not fulfilling his end of the deal must have seemed out of character. So he figured something else like partnering was the next logical step.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You sure about that? I mean, at the beginning of Granite Slate, he's plotting with Saul how to go kill the Nazis.
IMO yes, because he was ready to turn himself into police, but it was knowledge of the blue meth on the streets (and Grey Matter), that set his need for vengeance. He was maybe willing to let the Nazis slide for what they did... But Jesse and the Nazis working together cooking his meth? That was what set him off.

But you make a good point. It's debatable. And I suppose the Nazis were on his hit list the whole time.

Grakl

Jesse creating the box was the only good scene in the finale. it actually managed to be emotional

I'm happy walt died though

-Winnie-

You know, whatever the country, I think Walt would have gone his own way on this one.

WRdeFPS.jpg

Hahaha, amazing.

The cinematography in the Grey Matter scene was awesome as well. The show has basically curbstomped everything in terms of cinematography and it makes watching other shows kind of boring and lifeless.

zkylon

zkylewd
Walt's not a sociopath, and I think those who imply he was have missed ample clues of his care for family, Jesse, etc.

Todd, on the other hand...

I mean he turned into a complete psychopath, but to say that he was like that from the beginning is ignoring all his transformation and all the awful decisions that lead to what he became.

when he let jane die (my favorite moment in the show btw) he was already a changed man, and by that time I'd say he was very much a psychopath in the way he enjoyed his ability to manipulate others. being able to lead a double life as extreme as walt's is not for the mentally stable.

but in the end there's a shred of humanity in him, you can see it in how he does a bit of selflessness at the end, how he cares for jesse and hank and his kids, etc.

so yeah, a pretty complex character, or at least more than he looks

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
My brothers just forced me up to watch the finale with them.

I'm really happy with how this show ended. I'm going to miss it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I will say that Walt's genius during this finale doesn't rival the genius of his Season 4 finale antics (which actually date back to episodes prior to the S4 finale). Seriously, that was some masterful level trolling.

Blader

For one, Walt never truly recanted, or admitted it was about him. He required his wife to prompt his admission that it wasn't about him. She said basically "If you say it's about family one more time..." and he said it wasn't. Score +1 against Walt. He said what she wanted him to say! Fuck! Then with Jesse, he says "Tell me you want me to shoot you," and again, he does! Both times it was about telling the other person what HE, what WALT wanted. It was an entirely fucking bullshit thing.

But Walt didn't prompt Skylar to say that, she did it on her own. Walt was admitting he did it for himself, Skylar interrupted with her "If you say it's about family" line, and Walt continued saying it was all for him. He didn't manipulate Skylar into prompting that, he was already doing it on his own.

As for Jesse, getting Walt's "permission" to shoot him was the whole point. The reason Jesse wanted Walt to say he wanted it was so he could turn him down. You're right that Walt was - again - manipulating Jesse, and he knew that, which is he wanted Walt to verbally confirm that that was what he was doing - so he could explicitly reject it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
That scene where he sees and basically says his goodbye to his daughter before heading to that ending. Jesus that shit was rough.

LNBL

Don't forget to watch Talking Bad S01E08 after the episode. I actually just found out that they have this talkshow afterwards haha, perfect timing.

twdnewh_k

Great run and finale.
Cannot think of any major loose ends left out. It was obvious Walt had to die, there was no way around; I am happy it ended the way it did.

That final moment between Walt and Jesse was superb, the facial expressions and looks on their eyes were enough to say it all.

bonesquad

I get the impression no matter how the last episode went people wouldn't have liked it. The idea that the last episode wasn't fitting with the rest of the series is rediculous. I wouldn't say it was predictable, there are a number of ways it could have ended, there just was no major shocking revaluation. I for one enjoyed this last episode.

I will say that Walt's genius during this finale doesn't rival the genius of his Season 4 finale antics (which actually date back to episodes prior to the S4 finale). Seriously, that was some masterful level trolling.

For all the people saying how inconceivable it is that Walt could pull off what happened in the finale, people forget how lucky Walt has been throughout this show especially in the S4 finale when his own plot to kill Gus failed miserably and he needed outside help.

BocoDragon

If thats really what the intention was, I feel like they did a poor job getting that across, because that's not how I read the scene at all. It felt like Walt was just manipulating them into bringing Jesse out so that he could make sure he was safe during the attack

Kind of wish we didn't have all of these explanations on Talking Bad and shit so that we could just come to our own conclusions here
I'm kind of surprised you could think that Walt was manipulating the situation to save Jesse. He clearly didn't. The last time we saw them together, Walt affirmed his order for Jesse to die, told Jesse that he let Jane die. Then he's enraged at the prospect of blue meth on the streets (which implies Jesse has stolen his work). And then when talking to Badger and Pete, he is clearly enraged at Jesse.

He intended to kill Jesse, and only after seeing him in chains, did he decide to save him in the heat of the moment.

?oe?oe

Except here he wasn't trying to cover his tracks.

CloudWolf

The machine gun scene looked like it belonged in some sort of absurd action comedy, not in a serious television drama, but the rest of the episode was great though. Especially the scene with Skyler was superbly written. That said, because of the ridiculous machine gun scene, I'm going to say this is far from the best series finale ever. Six Feet Under is still king.

kanuuna

Just finished watching the finale. Simply beautiful. I'm glad I went through the first season again on the weekend. It made those flashbacks hit so much harder.
And as always, terrific use of licensed music. The closing song could not have been more fitting.

as much as I liked the show, I find that Jack Welker and his gang to be quite underwhelming as villains.

It is hard to keep up with Gus Fring and his character depth when we are giving the simpletons of Frank Welker's gang

I'm kind of surprised you could think that Walt always wanted to save Jesse. He clearly didn't. The last time we saw them together, Walt affirmed his order for Jesse to die, told Jesse that he let Jane die. Then he's enraged at the prospect of blue meth on the streets (which implies Jesse has stolen his work). And then when talking to Badger and Pete, he is clearly enraged at Jesse.

He intended to kill Jesse, and only after seeing him in chains, did he decide to save him in the heat if the moment.

The last time we saw them together was several months in the past. In the finale we see Walt admitting to Skyler that he did everything for himself because he enjoyed it and not for the sole purpose of making money to provide for them. His overall demeanor is completely different from anything we've seen of him before. To me it seemed like he had no more anger in him towards Jesse and that he just wanted to rub out the people who killed Hank.

If there was supposed to be some visible reaction in Walt upon seeing Jesse in chains, I didn't see one. Maybe I need to watch it again. But I just felt like the whole thing was a manipulation by Walt. Maybe it's because he's lied so much to everyone over the course of the series that I don't know whether to believe him or not, but that was what I got out of that scene. I would strongly prefer it if they didn't spoon feed us the "explanations" and let us come up with our own conclusions because this is seriously cheapening the episode for me at this point.

Symphonia

Banned
Amazing.

Truly amazing.

The scene with Jesse in the workshop actually managed to bring a small manly tear to my eye. The ending itself was somewhat bittersweet. Jesse walked, Walt died, Skyler lives and the kids get the money. Everyone wins. Man, I'm gonna miss this show.

BocoDragon

as much as I liked the show, I find that Jack Welker and his gang to be quite underwhelming as villains.

It is hard to keep up with Gus Fring and his character depth when we are giving the simpletons of Frank Welker's gang
The gang were nobodies, but I personally got a strong sense of Jack's character.

I really liked how he left Walt a cut of the money after he robbed him. That was an interesting nuance.

Nibel

They symbolize the pure evil - the perfect final enemy I think

I mean: they are fucked up piece of shit Nazis who are ready to murder anybody for no reason; they are the enemy that Walt deserves and he needs enemies like them to realize how far he has gone

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm kind of surprised you could think that Walt was manipulating the situation to save Jesse. He clearly didn't. The last time we saw them together, Walt affirmed his order for Jesse to die, told Jesse that he let Jane die. Then he's enraged at the prospect of blue meth on the streets (which implies Jesse has stolen his work). And then when talking to Badger and Pete, he is clearly enraged at Jesse.

He intended to kill Jesse, and only after seeing him in chains, did he decide to save him in the heat of the moment.
if he thought jesse was working with lydia he was gonna kill him for sure, but I feel he wasn't gonna like it

but I feel walt never really wanted to kill jesse, I feel he was relieved when he found out the nazis had taken him captive and that he was able to make things right with him instead.

I use I feel a lot because it's really my impression of walt, not basing it on anything other than feelings :p

Blader

I get the impression no matter how the last episode went people wouldn't have liked it. The idea that the last episode wasn't fitting with the rest of the series is rediculous. I wouldn't say it was predictable, there are a number of ways it could have ended, there just was no major shocking revaluation. I for one enjoyed this last episode.

That's not really exclusive to Breaking Bad though. Endings are always going to piss people off, in any movie or TV show. Some people like all loose ends up tied up, some like open-ended ambiguity, others like a mix of the two. It's impossible to please millions of people with one singular vision for an ending.

Wow. I haven't been this satisfied with an series finale for a very long time.

Amazing episode, amazing ending, amazing show from start to finish, one of my favourite ever. I feel like rewatching the whole thing from the start right now, I'm so hyped! :)

KugelBlitz

Neo Member
Overall, I found it to be a satisfying conclusion...

I particularly liked Walter's fate - how he was left bleeding white*

The scene before he's lying on the ground was pretty powerful, how he gazed upon his own reflection...

(I don't know if it was the heat of the moment, but it did seem like most of his hair was lost in the reflection, I thought that was done on purpose. But I may need an image to confirm my suspicion.)

It felt like he was announcing his final departure to Heisenberg...

...And accepting the path he chose.

*Before anyone engages in a debate about the term, I'm pretty sure it is not exclusive to money, the term is also compatible with someone turning pale from losing too much blood - I believe.

I don't know, the scene seemed pretty clear to me. Walt had lost control of the situation, the device he needed to execute his plan was out of his reach and he was being dragged away to his murder. He tried to wrestle back control of the situation by bringing Jesse into it, enabling him to prolong the conversation with Jack, increasing the chances of him getting the car keys that lay just out of reach.

The dog analogy seems apt, Walt may have mistreated Jesse, but he never took delight in torturing him and kicking him about just for the sake of his own amusement, like Jack did. It kind of sickened him to see Jesse treated that way. That was the point at which he decided to save Jesse.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Before I left the house this morning I just had to watch the end from Walt turning up at the Nazi camp again. So fucking satisfying to watch.

BoerBert

I mean that was my immediate reaction too when I saw the pointers, Walt doesn't know any hitmen, nobody would work with him even if he did.

I agree, it would have been weird if they really were hitmen. But I was just reading this thread after watching the episode and was surprised he guessed it right (just like everybody else was, but I didn't read that part yet when I posted it ;)).

:D

The cinematography in the Grey Matter scene was awesome as well. The show has basically curbstomped everything in terms of cinematography and it makes watching other shows kind of boring and lifeless.

Talking about curbstomps, I thought Walt was going to kill Jack with one American History X-style.

Blader

I think they're appropriate as final season villains even if they're not as epic as someone like Gus. For the first 4 years, all of Walt's enemies are obstacles to creating his own empire. So it's fitting that his last enemies are from the empire he created; they only have any power because Walt gave it to them.

Quite predictable and hence a little underwhelming finale, but at least it was good for what it was. But then again, the whole season 5 could be as seen as an epilogue to the real meat that was the whole cartell business they've got into in the first 4 seasons.

BocoDragon

if he thought jesse was working with lydia he was gonna kill him for sure, but I feel he wasn't gonna like it

but I feel walt never really wanted to kill jesse, I feel he was relieved when he found out the nazis had taken him captive and that he was able to make things right with him instead.

I use I feel a lot because it's really my impression of walt, not basing it on anything other than feelings :p
Oh I think Walt has a huge heart for Jesse at times. It's just that it went out the window when he believed that Jesse was trying to harm his household, snitched on him (leading to Hank's death), and worked with the Nazis to cook his brand of meth. For the last 3 episodes, Walt wanted Jesse dead.

But that care came back when Walt saw Jesse in chains.

I don't know, the scene seemed pretty clear to me. Walt had lost control of the situation, the device he needed to execute his plan was out of his reach and he was being dragged away to his murder. He tried to wrestle back control of the situation by bringing Jesse into it, enabling him to prolong the conversation with Jack, increasing the chances of him getting the car keys that lay just out of reach.

The dog analogy seems apt, Walt may have mistreated Jesse, but he never took delight in torturing him and kicking him about just for the sake of his own amusement, like Jack did. It kind of sickened him to see Jesse treated that way. That was the point at which he decided to save Jesse.

When Todd stepped in and suggested keeping Jesse around to find out what he knew, Walt definitely knew he was sending Jesse away to be tortured. He even started the torture himself by telling him about Jane

I think both interpretations should be valid, but because of these talk shows and interviews we're being told that only one of them is correct. That's what's really annoying me

Top Bottom