• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

And serve consecutive life sentences for all the shit he's done when he's picked up by the police

I'm spacing on the answer to this, but why would Jesse serve time? I can see him being wanted for questioning over being detained because of the illicit money. But for everything else, the evidence was taken by the Nazi's and presumably destroyed.

Actually, now that I think about it. We're never shown the tape being destroyed, unless it got hit by a stray bullet from the M60... hm...

Damn, that gif is good.

The thing with Jessie, I dont think he was doing it for him and didn't enjoy it. Walt admitted he liked it. Jessie seemed reluctant. He just liked the drugs part, not all the killing.

Maybe thats why he coming off as a victim of Walt's manipulation. He's guilty of tons of stuff for sure though.

Idk.

Some of the replies in this thread make me wonder if people were watching the same show. Where did he get the M60? Was Skinny Pete and Badger being elite killers ever hinted at? Not knowing how Gretchen and Elliot were going to get the money to Walt Jr?

Are you people serious?

And how in gods name is this episode a win for Walt? Reaching man, reaching.

Pyrrhus.JPG

Hi, I'm Pyrrhus and I approve of this win for Walt.

zma1013

I'm spacing on the answer to this, but why would Jesse serve time? I can see him being wanted for questioning over being detained because of the illicit money. But for everything else, the evidence was taken by the Nazi's and presumably destroyed.

Actually, now that I think about it. We're never shown the tape being destroyed, unless it got hit by a stray bullet from the M60... hm...

Some are assuming that Jesse having no money, no connections, and not being good at avoiding the law in general would probably get picked up by police eventually.

sappyday

That doesn't make sense.

They were clearly suspicious of him. They frisked him and checked for a wire then conveniently stopped there for no reason. They stopped being suspicious? And none of this speaks to everything else I said. I like the episode but that part just felt like beautifully shot fan fiction. Everyone dies except the two people the viewers want to see killed. And trust me I bought right into both of those deaths. Todd being strangled was the highlight for me.

I just didn't buy how they got to that point.
Why check something that they had no idea about and that it wasn't in reach of Walt. They thought if Walt tried to do something that stood out then he'd be outnumbered since they were inside the house.

Strong finale. Maybe the best series of all time. So sad it ended but it was time.

Thanks Gilligan, Cranston and all the cast and production. Unforgettable.

rdrr gnr

Why would Jack make such an irrational decision of bringing Jesse out for the sole purpose of proving to Walt that they aren't partners? It seems like poor writing solely for the purpose of getting him into that room with Walt. Unless someone has an explanation I missed? Why not kill Walt at the entrance if Todd and Lydia and Jack agreed on the same course of action?

Just found out the actor that plays Walter Jr actually has cerebral palsy. Mindblown.

Ya, I loved reading about that, really inspiring. Especially the part about how he had to practice how to act out a more severe case of CP (slurring words, walking with crutches, etc.) because he had made a lot of progress with his real case.

Why would Jack make such an irrational decision of bringing Jesse out for the sole purpose of proving to Walt that they aren't partners? It seems like poor writing solely for the purpose of getting him into that room with Walt. Unless someone has an explanation I missed?

I kinda had that feeling as well. Maybe they could have thought of a better way to handle that, but it wasn't a big enough deal to ruin anything for me. Sometimes you just gotta suspend your disbelief to enjoy it

dmshaposv

The saddest scene in the finale is the one where Walt watches, from afar, over his son going about his business. There's a melancholy to it that is quite profound and just breaks your heart, in that the damage he has done to the son who had idolised for much of his life will never right itself. No amount of money will correct that. He destroyed his entire family, cursed them to a life of infamy that they'll never outlive that even Pyrrhus would be proud of Walter. It was all for nothing after all.

I agree. For me, that scene was possibly the best moment of the episode. He can't even embrace or talk to his son again.

Of course it was more of a joke than any attempt to seriously ponder Jesse's ultimate fate after he breaks through those gates. However, you have Marie's testimony that he was part of Hank's investigation, which the police would want to bring him in for. With that confessions disc, can he make a deal off the back of it? Is there anyone left that Walt hasn't taken care of that he can help bring down. He murdered Gale, so if he has nothing to leverage, he'll do time.

At least if they didn't want Walt to have his wallet and keys, stick to it. Walt's plan completely fails without the car keys and when he lost them I was like, "Oh shit!" but that dude just left then lying on the pool table

As far as utilising the gun, I think the writing team did the best they could. I feel like it robbed us of a better ending though

zma1013

Why would Jack make such an irrational decision of bringing Jesse out for the sole purpose of proving to Walt that they aren't partners? It seems like poor writing solely for the purpose of getting him into that room with Walt. Unless someone has an explanation I missed? Why not kill Walt at the entrance if Todd and Lydia and Jack agreed on the same course of action?

Yeah, that part seemed forced but I supposed if you wanted to, you could chalk it up to a man's pride in his word... not that I remember them specifically showing that Jack had such pride.

Madness

Great show, great acting, great writing etc. Such a phenomenal show from start to finish, the cinematography, the wardrobes.

While things didn't end the way I hoped, it was still an amazing ride nonetheless.

I don't know why but I was secretly hoping for like some kind of epilogue a year from now, Flynn's 18th Birthday, gets the money, Jessie is there, he told them all about what Walt did, how he tried to save Hank, and like there are pictures of Hank and Walt up.

sappyday

Great show, great acting, great writing etc.

Such a phenomenal show from start to finish, the cinematography, the wardrobes.

While things didn't end the way I hoped, it was still an amazing ride nonetheless.

I don't know why but I was secretly hoping for like some kind of epilogue a year from now, Flynn's 18th Birthday, gets the money, Jessie is there, he told them all about what Walt did, how he tried to save Hank, and like there are pictures of Hank and Walt up etc.

I sorted wanted a scene like that as well. But the show began and ends with Walt. It's his story not anyone else's.
however in my mind the need for speed movie is the sequel and we get to see what happened to Jesse

Because Walt bruised his ego and he wanted to prove Walt wrong (same thing happened in the first episode they met to talk about the prison killings).

Tookay

Walt's plans have always run on being super contrived. From throwing the shit at Tuco, to blowing up Gus, to fucking magnets bitch.

They work because they're meant to.

terrene

Banned
That's Heisenberg's "win". Walt lost a lot for that. Not to mention all of the victims, directly or indirectly affected by his actions.

They're the same person. I think fans have made a bit too much of the Heisenberg "alter ego." Walt voluntarily made the choices he did - he wasn't some kind of host body that a zombifying parasite named Heisenberg invaded. It takes all meaning out of the very well-done transformation of a single person to characterize it as literally two people whose ideas of punishment/sacrifice and reward are vastly different.

Bad7667

Why check something that they had no idea about and that it wasn't in reach of Walt. They thought if Walt tried to do something that stood out then he'd be outnumbered since they were inside the house.
And I feel as though one reoccurring theme for Walt is eveyone always underestimates him. In the scene specifically, he looks awful and sounds desperate.

rdrr gnr

Yeah, that part seemed forced but I supposed if you wanted to, you could chalk it up to a man's pride in his word... not that I remember them specifically showing that Jack had such pride.
But this is the second time I've felt the writers were so married to an idea that they were willing to write poorly to reach it. I felt the same way about Walt allowing Jesse to be taken prisoner for questioning. I know one of the arguments is that Walt is in shock from Hank's death but we've seen him be viciously rational after moments of immense trauma. Allowing Jesse to live allows, well, Jesse to be alive for the final episode, it solves the issue of the confession, and so much more. But I'm still not convinced that Walt would let Jesse go in that moment. I don't know -- I could be convinced out of the previous episode, but not this one.

Tookay

They're the same person. I think fans have made a bit too much of the Heisenberg "alter ego." Walt voluntarily made the choices he did - he wasn't some kind of host body that a zombifying parasite named Heisenberg invaded.

Yeah, I really hate the Heisenberg over-emphasis. He's just a shitty title that hides who Walt really is and has always been, deep down.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the episode. Really, really good. Felt like a proper neo-western conclusion, which Breaking Bad should.

Good to see Walt own up to his crimes and go out on his own terms.

overcast

Right before Jesse gets into the car, that look Walt and Jesse gave each other. A final goodbye, both knowing that after everything they've been though, it is now finally over.

id1SPVH5RDpuv.gif
Seriously, goddamn Paul sold that.

Very good finale to one of the best shows ever. Maybe a little too happy? Although I'm just happy Jesse is safe. Going to miss this show so much, it's been so long since I started it.

Did anyone point out the parallel to Jesse strangling Todd/Walt strangling Krazy 8?

I suppose killing Walt at the entrance would be the easiest solution, but I don't think it's in Jack's nature. There's a smug, perniciousness to his nature that lends itself to him lauding over someone that he's going to kill them. Almost like a cat playing gleefully with a mouse, Jack is happy to entertain the possibility that Walt is here to make a deal, only to tell him otherwise and that he's going to kill him. I think that's how the writers justified the scene playing out the way it did. It's in Jack's nature to play with his prey.

CassSept

I'm somewhat underwhelmed, but I'm guessing it was bound to happen. Great finale, a fitting end, if a bit too predictable. Everything went better than expected and I'm not too content with Walt's plan going 100% as he predicted. I teared up at the end, a great choice of song for the end.

The highlight was definitely Todd's death. Dayum.

As far as this season goes

Ozymandias
Granite State
To'hajiilee
Confessions
Blood Money
Buried
Rabid Dog

With maybe switching To'hajiilee and Confessions. Unsure how I feel about the finale.

zkylon

zkylewd
personally I would've rather the money just went to waste, make everything not mean anything.

other than that it was pretty satisfying, that final look between jesse and walt is priceless

WARP10CK

Banned
Right before Jesse gets into the car, that look Walt and Jesse gave each other. A final goodbye, both knowing that after everything they've been though, it is now finally over.

id1SPVH5RDpuv.gif

A great goodbye scene will miss the show alot but I am glad it ended so good as it did.

maharg

idspispopd
Let's be real. Everyone Walt directly killed was a mook or a scumbag worse than Walt ever was.

I'm pretty sure that most of them did only about the same sorts of things Walt did. So no, that's not 'real'. If they're scumbags for being drug dealing murderous assholes then so is Walt.

stn

Awesome ending, brilliant series overall. Only thing I would've liked to see was a scene with Walt and Jesse in high school.

Saya

They must've fed Jesse very well. Did he look chubby or was it just me?

Great finale. Felt satisfying to see that Walt died on his own terms and relatively contempt with his attempt to fix some things.

I'll re-visit the series again in a few years to experience the ride again.

Tookay

Awesome ending, brilliant series overall. Only thing I would've liked to see was a scene with Walt and Jesse in high school.

I thought about that, but judging from that fake "flashback" they pulled back in Ozymandias and how "off" it looked, both Cranston and Paul are too old to really effectively sell even younger versions of themselves.

personally I would've rather the money just went to waste, make everything not mean anything.

other than that it was pretty satisfying, that final look between jesse and walt is priceless

You see, I actually think that the money is kind of meaningless. It really was all for nothing. Walt Jr. suddenly getting nine million is going to take away the fact that his father's actions have basically ripped away every good memory, every special moment that he shared with his dad. He'll never get any closure of that part of his life, and it'll leave a gaping hole that will probably taint him for the rest of his life. Walt traded that for a pile of cash that won't bring any kind of comfort to his family.

But, yeah, I agree with you on Walt and Jesse's last interaction. That look was just beautiful. It just summed up their relationship. Jesse, kind of like a mistreated dog, forgot for just a moment, all that pain that this man has caused him, because of one last act of kindness.

Duallusion

They're the same person. I think fans have made a bit too much of the Heisenberg "alter ego." Walt voluntarily made the choices he did - he wasn't some kind of host body that a zombifying parasite named Heisenberg invaded. It takes all meaning out of the very well-done transformation of a single person to characterize it as literally two people whose ideas of punishment/sacrifice and reward are vastly different.

Yeah, I wasn't being literal nor do I view his character in such a binary way. But I do think Walt was sort of acting out a character of Heisenber (police sketch) and that "he" grew in power throughout the show. Walt enjoyed being "him" because "he" gave him a sense of power. In that sense, "Heisenberg" won, I guess. But Walt? Nah, he just tried to redeemed himself in the end as much as possible.

They must've fed Jesse very well. Did he look chubby or was it just me?

Great finale. Felt satisfying to see that Walt died on his own terms and relatively contempt with his attempt to fix some things.

I'll re-visit the series again in a few years to experience the ride again.

No, it wasn't just you. I had a moment where I thought "Hell, Todd, must be going overboard with those ice-cream treats. Give the guy a salad once in awhile, eh"

maharg

idspispopd
You see, I actually think that the money is kind of meaningless. It really was all for nothing. Walt Jr. suddenly getting nine million is going to take away the fact that his father's actions have basically ripped away every good memory, every special moment that he shared with his dad. He'll never get any closure of that part of his life, and it'll leave a gaping hole that will probably taint him for the rest of his life. Walt traded that for a pile of cash that won't bring any kind of comfort to his family.

Especially since the same outcome, with far less heartache, could have been achieved by simply accepting Elliot and Gretchen's offer in what, s1e3 or whatever.

I just realized the part about Jesse making that box was a callback to his shop teacher telling Jesse to keep making that box until he gets it right.

At the end, he made a better box.

It means that he kept making meth until he perfected it, he made meth as good and even better than Walt's meth and lived on as Walt's progeny.

Top Bottom