• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I love Uncle Jack. He's a despicable piece of trash on the most basic level (neo-nazi), but somehow little touches, like his wringing of Todd's neck (when he figured out, he had a soft spot of Lydia), or his "Fire in the hole" moment, made him a standout presence.

Classic villain IMO. Slick trenchcoats, slick drawl of a voice, inhuman piece of hatable garbage too. But weirdly likable.

Lucario

Walt was incredibly "lucky" during the whole show guys, even Jesse said that to Hank and Gomez.

I feel like the show became a bit self-aware in Fly -- Walt realizes how unrealistic all these outlandish cooincidences are, and it's established that there's some bizarre in-universe concept of events being set in motion far in advance. This isn't the Twilight Zone, though -- there's no mysterious merchant giving a down-on-his-luck drunk (an unfulfilled Walt) a gun (an outlet for his creativity in a meth empire). There's just a series of coincidences and a logistically impossible amount of luck ending in Walt's pseudo-redemption.

It clearly made for a pretty good show. And although I'm split on the finale -- BatWalt's sudden return was a little jarring, even if it was kind of awesome -- it certainly tied up all the loose ends.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh I think Walt has a huge heart for Jesse at times. It's just that it went out the window when he believed that Jesse was trying to harm his household, snitched on him (leading to Hank's death), and worked with the Nazis to cook his brand of meth. For the last 3 episodes, Walt wanted Jesse dead.

But that care came back when Walt saw Jesse in chains.
hmm I dunno. I think he had to kill jesse out of obligation more than anything, remember how hard he tried to tell skyler otherwise. I don't think he wanted him dead, more than he needed him dead, even more so when hank's killed and he has the need to avenge him or somehow set it right.

finding him in chains just let walt get away with not killing jesse

Duallusion

P2RKZmv.gif

Thanks! Not as badass as I remembered it:) Should've been shot with only Walt in the frame when he does it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks! Not as badass as I remembered it:) Should've been shot with only Walt in the frame when he does it.

it was followed with a pretty intense audio cue for the lasers showing up

that kind gets lost with gretchen and mr. funny ears' awkard reaction in the gif :p

Had the neighbour complain about the machine gun noise through my Dolby surround speakers Ha Ha .

Wasn't the greatest episode for me but still a really enjoyable episode. What a series.

When Todd stepped in and suggested keeping Jesse around to find out what he knew, Walt definitely knew he was sending Jesse away to be tortured. He even started the torture himself by telling him about Jane

I think both interpretations should be valid, but because of these talk shows and interviews we're being told that only one of them is correct. That's what's really annoying me

I suppose that's true, but in a sense Walt felt that they'd have the ethics to end his life quickly after they got what they needed. He never imagined that they'd take delight in keeping him around as a "pet" they can kick and punch when it doesn't do as its told. However, you're wrong that the author's intent is absolute. To steal a quote from Susan Sontag, "One doesn't need to know the artist's private intentions. The work tells all." In that sense your interpretation is as valid as the authors, at least if you can defend its merits. I may disagree with your viewpoint, but I don't believe it has any less merit because Vince Gilligan doesn't share it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
hmm I dunno. I think he had to kill jesse out of obligation more than anything, remember how hard he tried to tell skyler otherwise. I don't think he wanted him dead, more than he needed him dead, even more so when hank's killed and he has the need to avenge him or somehow set it right.

finding him in chains just let walt get away with not killing jesse
I can see that interpretation..but everything in Ozymandius implies to me that Walt came to a point where he revelled in the possibility of Jesse's death. Hank's death was the catalyst. Before then, it was business. After then, it was personal. His reveal about Jane indicates that he wanted him to suffer and then die.

It's possible that this feeling ended soon enough, but the finale and the rage at the blue meth left me thinking that he sustained that notion right up until he saw Jesse in chains. I believe Walt really assumed Jesse had voluntarily partnered with the Nazis through most of the finale.

They symbolize the pure evil - the perfect final enemy I think

I mean: they are fucked up piece of shit Nazis who are ready to murder anybody for no reason; they are the enemy that Walt deserves and he needs enemies like them to realize how far he has gone

They were really just a group of killers, I've not seen or heard them not do anything Nazi like apart from their tattoos. Even when they kill Andrea they don't call Jesse a race traitor for having a Hispanic girlfriend or they have no plans to start the Fourth Reich with their 70 million.

In a series where we've seen half a dozen criminal gangs that are ruthless killers the Nazis don't really stand out as being the worst of the lot.

Halcyon

This may have been brought up, but why is it to be assumed that walt dies? He was hit in the right abdomen. It seemed to me like a flesh wound as he had enough energy to stand for a conversation and walk around the lab. He passes out 30 seconds before the swat team raids the place. He would have immediate medical attention.

What gives?

sammich

Light spoilers for the movie Drive/BB trivia i guess.

Dont know if this was mentioned at all(somewhat related to BB). Was watching Drive the other day(love the movie), forgot Cranston was in it. Either way, at one point, when hes trying to make his getaway when everything goes south, he mentions that his partner(Gosling) that they were looking for might have run away to .. BELIZE. I kinda giggled at that.

amnesiac

This may have been brought up, but why is it to be assumed that walt dies? He was hit in the right abdomen. It seemed to me like a flesh wound as he had enough energy to stand for a conversation and walk around the lab. He passes out 30 seconds before the swat team raids the place. He would have immediate medical attention.

What gives?
Vince confirmed it

VV well that too

Aiii

So not worth it

What gives?

A body full of cancer.

Monocle

I could not be more pleased that Vince Gilligan and the other writers didn't second guess themselves or try to outfox fans in the finale. We got closure without forced twists. All of the major plot threads were tied up neatly, all of the character arcs landed exactly where they were aimed. Nothing was gratuitous, heavy handed, or inappropriate. If predictability was the price for a fitting end to this consistently brilliant drama, it was more than justified.

Kaladin

I'm satisfied with the conclusion, but the finale felt rushed....we should have got three to five episodes of story out of that and they had to condense it. That being said, I'm highly satisfied with what they gave us and how the series ended.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

What gives?
Everything about the cinematography implies that he dies. And then the show is done.

I guess you could say "after the show, paramedics revived him!" but how silly is that.

He's dead.

I thought it was a good ending. I'm not sure I believe that everyone in the compound would be in that one room at the time the machine gun went off, or that everyone in the room except Todd would get hit by the machine gun. You'd think some of them would get low enough in time to not get hit,

codhand

Talking Bad i wanted to gouge my eyes out, that was painful to watch.

also ive seen about three episodes of this show, and this finale was great, without really knowing all the details, you could tell it wrapped up all the loose ends

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Considering that, I guess we have to assume he didn't know Jesse was being held prisoner. And, for whatever reason, he no longer wanted Jesse dead (I guess he had plenty of time to change his mind).
Walt finally seemed repentant, based on his conversation with Skylar. I assume he came to realize how much he'd hurt Jesse while he was in isolation.

Dreaver

Beautiful ending. It was predictable but also it wasn't at the same time. We all knew Walt was going to get his revenge and die in the end, but at the same time it as done really, really well. A happy ending wasn't possible. It was a very emotional and exciting episode.
The final scene is really, really great as well. Walt dying alone in the middle of his own environment.

Easily the best television serie I have watched.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Thank god I've rewatched the whole series this year. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had a clue wth the wood work scene was supposed to be :lol
Even without the context of previous episodes, I feel it would have been effective regardless.

Jesse is imagining a time where he was happy and free and doing something he loved. All those came through in the scene.

...walking away and getting ripped back to reality by his leash just reminds you of how awful his situation truly is.

His pure elation as he's driving away is the face of a man who thought it was all over, and was given a second chance at life.

bud

i don't agree with the criticism that it's a disappointing finale because it's "safe."

it feels like the right ending to me.

StuBurns

Banned
He just changed his mind because he saw how Jesse looked. He was going to kill him.

He was never cruel, he wanted Jesse killed because he was too great of a risk, but even with it, he wanted him killed humanely, until he crossed him directly and was going to lose Walt's family all of his savings.

He saw that what Jesse had experienced was worse than he felt the punishment he was due, so he saved him.

Dany

Banned
When Jesse yelled "Say what you want" and Walt responded "I want this" I felt like Jesse could of and should of shot him :/ and at the car where Jesse is getting in and Walt gives him a nod and Jesse 'kinda' acknowledges him it just seemd to perfect. :/

Nibel

They were really just a group of killers, I've not seen or heard them not do anything Nazi like apart from their tattoos. Even when they kill Andrea they don't call Jesse a race traitor for having a Hispanic girlfriend or they have no plans to start the Fourth Reich with their 70 million.

In a series where we've seen half a dozen criminal gangs that are ruthless killers the Nazis don't really stand out as being the worst of the lot.

They killed Hank and Gomie (two DEA agents), then Andrea and broke into the White's house and almost kidnapped Holly; they made Jesse a meth slave, took all of Walt's money and want to kill him in the finale

None of Walter's previous enemies has gone this far, they cross every line and them being Nazis is just the cherry on the top; unlike Gus and Tuco, they aren't really in the drug business to begin with and don't play by any established rule set. Gus was pretty evil as well, but in no way so ruthless and brutal and consequent like those guys.

I mean one of them (Todd) shot a kid for no fucking reason; none of Walt's previous enemies was as evil as himself, but those guys are on the same level. Compare Gus or Tuco or whoever with Walt, think about their actions in his action - I think that only the Nazis come close to Walt

Kaladin

Couldn't Lydia just go to the hospital?

That puts my one gripe about the series ending into words.....a lot of characters were left with open endings.

Did Jesse really escape or did the cops catch up to him?

Could Lydia have got to the hospital in time? (she looked like death btw)

Did Walt scare (I forget their names) enough for them to get Flynn the money?

What happened to Skylar?

What happened to Saul? Is he relocated?

The only end that was truly final was Todd and Jack's. The rest (even if Walt died or not) are left open to interpretation....and that's a lot.

Nibel

When Jesse yelled "Say what you want" and Walt responded "I want this" I felt like Jesse could of and should of shot him :/ and at the car where Jesse is getting in and Walt gives him a nod and Jesse 'kinda' acknowledges him it just seemd to perfect. :/

I think you're missing something here: the whole time in the entire show Walt tells Jesse what to do and what not to do; with Jesse not shooting him, Jesse finally frees himself from the influence of Walt - it's basically the end of their relationship which was mostly based on manipulation solely

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Would Jesse really kill him?
I don't think so. Especially not after Walt rescued him, which is something of an act of repentance.

EDIT: Also what Nibel said. The key point was Jesse saying, "If it's what you want, do it yourself."

Ecto311

What gives?

I said the same thing to my wife about the ending. I think the ending leaves it open to what you want to happen. A similar ending was house of 1000 corpses. The girl gets out then falls asleep in the car and gets shanked. Rob Zombie has never elaborated on that ending. Did she dream it or did it happen. This ending reminds me of that because he was fine and even walking around while the cops were pushing through to the lab. Then hes just laying there but not struggling or bleeding out just there with almost a smile on his face.

Great ending though. Like the avengers but getting everyone together to fuck them. Best part was very little of Skyler. Hated that bitch from the first episodes.

Dany

Banned
That puts my one gripe about the series ending into words.....a lot of characters were left with open endings.

What happened to Skylar?

The only end that was truly final was Todd and Jack's. The rest (even if Walt died or not) are left open to interpretation....and that's a lot.

You really want this show to spell that much out for you? Yeesh.

Nibel

What happened to Skylar?

None of this does matter

Yes, we grew to care about certain characters, but it's not their story - despite the important involvement of Walt's family, Jesse, etc. it always was the story of Walt/Mr.Chips

And it's great that in the end, he changed to the better

SeanR1221

Anyone think it's not really a happy ending for Jesse? He needs to watch his back, doesn't know what connections the Nazis/Lydia had and of course everyone around him is dead :(

NotLiquid

The entire dark turn that the series took and how it comes full circle with the ending, I love it.

Most people know I've been #TeamWalt if you can call it that but even with his death this ending is insanely satisfying, because he won. He managed to find a way to provide for his family. He got to say his goodbyes to Holly. He made peace with Skyler. He put an end to the meth business, and he managed to finally give Jesse a proper sendoff.

The final moment is the one that still sticks with me, because neither Walt or Jesse necessarily thinks any better of each other, but the final nod still feels like its one of mutual agreement, and respect. Is it just respect for having held together, for everything they've been through or for the talents they've learned from one another? Does Walter finally feel like Jesse "applied himself"?

It's a scene that makes me think. Throughout those two years, on a personal level, what did Walt think that he could gain out of being with Jesse, and what did Jesse think that he could gain out of being with Walt? Who knows. All I know is, Jesse is more free than he's ever been, he'll most likely finally be taking a new lease on life, Walter's family will finally know peace and Walter dies happy and fulfilled. Despite the bitter aftermath that might linger... This is a surprisingly uplifting ending. So despite being a big Walt supporter, I liked how this ending turned out. It's beautiful.

It's a shame that Junior never got any proper goodbyes, but then again, that was for the best. One is left wondering how he'll be going through life and whether or not he'll learn the entire truth of what his dad did.

Anyone think it's not really a happy ending for Jesse? He needs to watch his back, doesn't know what connections the Nazis/Lydia had and of course everyone around him is dead :(

Jesse was held in captivity for months. Whatever "connections" Lydia had left would die with her and I don't think anyone would know who he is and where he is, or even if he'd still be responsible for things.

Perhaps that was the point of Walter answering Todd's phone and exiting the building with Jesse. So Jesse would know that the Ricin finally found it's purpose, and that the big boss in charge, was gone. That there was nothing left for him to worry about.

I love Uncle Jack. He's a despicable piece of trash on the most basic level (neo-nazi), but somehow little touches, like his wringing of Todd's neck (when he figured out, he had a soft spot of Lydia), or his "Fire in the hole" moment, made him a standout presence.

Classic villain IMO. Slick trenchcoats, slick drawl of a voice, inhuman piece of hatable garbage too. But weirdly likable.

I'm with you. Uncle Jack was a great character. Guys a dreadful human being but yet for some reason he does have a likeable quality that is hard to explain.

Hindle

Banned
Awesome finale and genuinely touching.

The way Walt planned the Nazis downfall really showed his genius in the end. Using Jacks pride and principles against him etc. Seeing Jesse finally kill Todd was a pay off as well.

In all, a great finale.

Top Bottom