• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Finally caught it. Was a decent finale. Not amazing, but decent enough. When it comes to series finales you're usually in good standing if you don't shit the bed completely, so Breaking Bad did well enough.

my sentiment exactly, i rather have a decent finale than an aweful one.

TV history has given us so many bad finales, I am also satisfied and happy with BB's finale.

Seeing Badger and Skinny Pete show up again was a bonus, seeing the ricin used on Lydia was great, seeing Jesse use his chains of imprisonment to strangle Todd = priceless.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
How are we supposed to get our Todd spin-off now.

NotLiquid

Then why do they suggest the fact he's improving supports the idea it's ricin?

The treatment intended to treat the ricin worked, and the doctors believed it was ricin because of that.

They didn't treat it as ricin poison - they treated it as general poison, period. They assumed he was poisoned and acted upon usual procedure hoping it would work. After they managed to flush it out, they realized it wasn't actually ricin.

kehs

Banned
The fact that Walt got to finally see the true nature of their relationship when Jack brought him out in chains and asked if this looked like a partner??

That he'd treated Jesse like a fucking slave for five seasons?

Ah, I'M PRETTY HAPPY WITH THAT.

Damn, I hadn't thought of that. =(

Blader

That puts my one gripe about the series ending into words.....a lot of characters were left with open endings.

Did Jesse really escape or did the cops catch up to him?

Could Lydia have got to the hospital in time? (she looked like death btw)

Did Walt scare (I forget their names) enough for them to get Flynn the money?

What happened to Skylar?

What happened to Saul? Is he relocated?

The only end that was truly final was Todd and Jack's. The rest (even if Walt died or not) are left open to interpretation....and that's a lot.

None of that's open to interpretation. The last we see of these characters IS the final word on them. Walt dies, Jesse escapes, Flynn gets the money when he turns 18, Skylar negotiates a deal with the government, Saul ends up in Nebraska, Lydia succumbs to the ricin, etc.

It's designed to be purposefully that simple.

Nibel

I have just two trivia questions. Hope they haven't been asked already.
Why does he leave the watch on the payphone?
Is there a meaning in the car's licence plate?

I think it's pretty common for New Hampshire - I'm no American, but I'm watching season 5 of Sopranos right now and there were scenes taking place there; I think all cars had "Live Free or Die" on their licence plates

StuBurns

Banned
They didn't treat it as ricin poison - they treated it as general poison, period. They assumed he was poisoned and acted upon usual procedure hoping it would work. After they managed to flush it out, they realized it wasn't actually ricin.
Watch the scene in the jail, the police tell Jesse the doctors believe it's ricin because Broke is responding to their treatment. This very very clearly implies that they believe ricin can be treated.

bud

i3SM1rsb42ZhN.gif

;_;

inm8num2

That was the biggest moment of the finale for me...Walt finally admitting that he enjoyed it. Walt always had this thing about him where it seemed like he loved it but at the same time he didn't let it show....and him finally admitting it was huge.
Same here - loved that moment. Walt lied to himself and everyone for a long time until finally realizing that despite his early intentions, it was about him (and his bruised ego/pride).

Nibel

I think Ricin can be treated, but the most important thing is that it's nearly undetectable - so if you don't know hat you've been poisoned with it, the doctor's won't no what it is either

Blader

I think it's pretty common for New Hampshire - I'm no American, but I'm watching season 5 of Sopranos right now and there were scenes taking place there; I think all cars had "Live Free or Die" on their licence plates

It's the state motto.

Kaladin

None of that's open to interpretation. The last we see of these characters IS the final word on them. Walt dies, Jesse escapes, Flynn gets the money when he turns 18, Skylar negotiates a deal with the government, Saul ends up in Nebraska, Lydia succumbs to the ricin, etc.

It's designed to be purposefully that simple.

You know the old adage, if you don't see the body, they're not really dead yet. You can assume all that happens...and in a perfect world it would, but this world is far from perfect.

I think because it wasn't as epic visually as so many other confrontations I was like "ehhhh" but holy shit, finally seeing Walt realize what he'd done to Jesse all this time...

"Does this look like a partner to you?"

"Um....actually, it shouldn't right?"

I mean FUCK.

GENIUS ENDING.

BEST EVER.

Blader

You know the old adage, if you don't see the body, they're not really dead yet. You can assume all that happens...and in a perfect world it would, but this world is far from perfect.

But given all of Gilligan's remarks about the ending being a closed resolution, I think it's safe to assume that everything we saw in the finale wasn't immediately undone seconds later.

If you think about that, not only is it emotionally unsatisfying for the viewer, but, in terms of narrative, a complete waste of time on the writers' part. This isn't Dexter.

The more I think about it, the stupider the whole plan of using the M60 the way he did was. If even one Nazi stood guard outside not in proper position or checked the trunk the plan wouldn't of worked out.

zma1013

Will "Better Call Saul" take place before or after BB? I assume before? Would be cool if they ended BCS with the scene where Walt and Jesse show up in his office for the first time.

IceCold

Is there a meaning in the car's licence plate?

Because of continuity. In the flashforward of Walt in the Dennis, he didn't have a watch on. The other reason was that the watch was given to him by Jessie on his birthday. Since he knew his time was up he figured he didn't need it anymore. That's what I remember from the talking bad segment.

Zeth

Any chance Skyler would ever get a favorable deal for the burial coordinates? I doubt it. The show seemed to imply she got the shit end of the stick from law enforcement - probably not far from reality.

NotLiquid

Why didn't Jesse kill Walt? Would he have done it if he hadn't of realised Walt had been shot.

Because he realized it was pointless, and because he also didn't want to do what Walter told him to do any more.

Jesse finally walked away and made his own conscious decision to let things go, and not follow down the downward spiral any more.

Walter could always have done things himself. It's what he did this entire episode, and that's why Jesse figured he might as well do it himself.

Watch the scene in the jail, the police tell Jesse the doctors believe it's ricin because Broke is responding to their treatment. This very very clearly implies that they believe ricin can be treated.

It's because he was responding to general treatment for poison, and they knew he had been poisoned; not necessarily that it was ricin. They assumed it was because they got the hint, which came out of the blue.

Ricin is a potent and rare type of poison. For him to completely come out of nowhere and suggest that it was used is clear cause for investigation. It gave credence to the notion that he was poisoned (and Brock did show flu-like symptoms supposedly which was another connection), but that it was ricin was just a suspicion.

northead

"Live Free or Die" is a reference of the first episode, too, and can be interpreted in countless ways - I was mainly talking about the numbers.

Kaladin

But given all of Gilligan's remarks about the ending being a closed resolution, I think it's safe to assume that everything we saw in the finale wasn't immediately undone seconds later.

If you think about that, not only is it emotionally unsatisfying for the viewer, but, in terms of narrative, a complete waste of time on the writers' part. This isn't Dexter.

Ah....I hadn't read anything about the finale before watching it. I stayed dark on the whole thing.

When Jesse yelled "Say what you want" and Walt responded "I want this" I felt like Jesse could of and should of shot him :/ and at the car where Jesse is getting in and Walt gives him a nod and Jesse 'kinda' acknowledges him it just seemd to perfect. :/

I thought it meant that Jessie was finally FREE. He'd been manipulated by Walter White throughout the whole show and this was him breaking free of EVERYTHING.

Any chance Skyler would ever get a favorable deal for the burial coordinates? I doubt it. The show seemed to imply she got the shit end of the stick from law enforcement - probably not far from reality.

With Walt now dead and the fact blue meth will soon disappear, I think she'll do alright.

northead

Because of continuity. In the flashforward of Walt in the Dennis, he didn't have a watch on. The other reason was that the watch was given to him by Jessie on his birthday. Since he knew his time was up he figured he didn't need it anymore. That's what I remember from the talking bad segment.

Is it like his way of saying "This will be over soon anyways, so I won't need it anymore"?

Salaadin

One of the reasons is continuity. When they shot the Dennys scene last year, Walt wasnt wearing a watch. Then they had Jesse give him a nice watch for his birthday that Walt hasnt taken off since so they had to show him remove it sometime before Dennys.

The more I think about it, the stupider the whole plan of using the M60 the way he did was. If even one Nazi stood guard outside not in proper position or checked the trunk the plan wouldn't of worked out.

clever criminal wouldnt have let his car in the compound in the 1st place, could have been a bomb or anything

StuBurns

Banned
It's because he was responding to general treatment for poison, and they knew he had been poisoned; not necessarily that it was ricin. They assumed it was because they got the hint, which came out of the blue.

Ricin is a potent and rare type of poison. For him to completely come out of nowhere and suggest that it was used is clear cause for investigation. It gave credence to the notion that he was poisoned (and Brock did show flu-like symptoms supposedly which was another connection), but that it was ricin was just a suspicion.
I don't know what's hard to understand, I'll try and make it simpler.

Brock is poisoned.
Jesse suggests it's ricin.
The doctors treat Brock.
Brock improves.
The doctors think it is ricin because he improved.

Ricin can very clearly be treated in Breaking Bad world. If it couldn't, the doctors wouldn't see him recovering as a sign it's ricin.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I think because it wasn't as epic visually as so many other confrontations I was like "ehhhh" but holy shit, finally seeing Walt realize what he'd done to Jesse all this time...

"Does this look like a partner to you?"

"Um....actually, it shouldn't right?"

I mean FUCK.

GENIUS ENDING.

BEST EVER.

My man.

God damn, that transformative moment from Granite State is even better for me now after the finale. Really going to miss this show.

northead

One of the reasons is continuity. When they shot the Dennys scene last year, Walt wasnt wearing a watch. Then they had Jesse give him a nice watch for his birthday that Walt hasnt taken off since so they had to show him remove it sometime before Dennys.

Oh alright, got it. Thanks.

zma1013

It would have just been nice if there was a reason for him taking the watch off. As it is, he just randomly lays it up there. I was scratching my head wondering what the hell that meant. Would have been better if Walt needed something from someone and he traded them the watch. Still wouldn't have really meant anything but would have made actual sense.

NotLiquid

I don't know what's hard to understand, I'll try and make it simpler.

Brock is poisoned.
Jesse suggests it's ricin.
The doctors treat Brock.
Brock improves.
The doctors think it is ricin because he improved.

Ricin can very clearly be treated in Breaking Bad world. If it couldn't, the doctors wouldn't see him recovering as a sign it's ricin.

I don't recall the doctors confirming this. I recall the police assuming this based on that someone gave the doctors a hint based around a suspicious illness and poison treatment working.

Just because someone is reacting to poison treatment doesn't mean it's a guaranteed cure for that matter.

pringles

To me, it was a perfect finale.

Only thing I would have liked to give that final closure, is a shot of Jesse 5-10 years later doing something that makes him happy. Maybe he's a chemistry teacher.

Vince Gilligan you brilliant man...

That scene with Walt saying goodbye first to Holly and then watching Jr from far was so powerful.
The scene where he's watching Jr coming home hit me right in the gut. Unexpectedly powerful.

j-wood

It would have just been nice if there was a reason for him taking the watch off. As it is, he just randomly lays it up there. I was scratching my head wondering what the hell that meant. Would have been better if Walt needed something from someone and he traded them the watch. Still wouldn't have really meant anything but would have made actual sense.

But see, the fact that the writers did this for continuity is exactly why Dexter was absolutely terrible the past few, and most especially this final, season.

Top Bottom