• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Burli

Pringo
Perfect finale, I couldn't be happier with it.

To everyone complaining it's 'predictable' - the reason you probably feel that way is because generally, everything that should have happened, happened. This isn't because of luck, it isn't bullshit, it was 'by the numbers' because that's how Walter White is. He had months to mull things over, think up plans, decide what he was going to do. He was meticulous and it paid off, there were moments where it could have gone wrong (his keys being taken, being shot by Jack) but as usual he found a way to influence what was happening and control the situation. He used logic and careful planning to tie up the loose ends.

I didn't expect him to save Jesse, there's no way we could have known if he would or not - I believe that after spending months alone with his regrets he learned to understand and forgive Jesse. In the moments after Hank's death he would have been blinded by rage. I think if he'd seen Jesse unchained and willingly making meth he may have acted differently and killed him too, but instead he saw a broken man, forced into it and probably realised to a certain extent that he was the reason for it all.

I'd argue that this episode was anything but predictable, who knew, when comparing this episode to every other Breaking Bad episode that actually, Walt's intelligence would pay off and he'd actually manage to execute his plans to perfection (apart from indirectly killing himself). The usual pattern of BB is that actually everything goes wrong and the unpredictableness is 'how does it go wrong?'. He went into the lab simply to implicate himself as the cook instead of someone else, such as Jesse (and also to cement his legend as heisenberg). Every scene in this show counted towards something, so fucking clever and considered.

I'm incredibly sad it's over but also very very happy we all got to witness it, and five seasons of it at that. Farewell Walter White, you magnificent bastard.

haikira

Hey. If anyone could PM me and let me know if there was any non English dialogue in the finale, I'd really really appreciate it. Hope all you guys enjoyed the episode and I'll be in later to discuss it too =D

But Walt did do it for his family. Initially, at least.

That when from a reason to an excuse very early on in the show. Once he accepts the contract from Gus that went out the window.

Edit: So yes I agree it was for his family initially, but most of the series is him doing it for himself.

What was there to say between them at that point? I thought about it after the episode, and the somber head nod really is the best way to sum it all up.

Kind of a 'Yeah... This is fucked up, and it's mostly my fault- and I'm sorry. But there's still hope for you, right outside those gates'. I don't know if any conversation could have done their complex relationship justice.

You make a good point. All the evidence the show gives definitely gives off the vibe that Walt did love Jesse as more than a teacher-student relationship. Decently close to a father-son relationship. The betrayal he felt, one he asked for himself obviously, instantly went away when he saw what they had done to him.

Maybe would have been nice for Walt Jr. to turn into an underworld hitman at the end. "Have an A1 day... motherfucker!"

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
ibyoJVnXdsaNVt.gif

Perfect finale, I couldn't be happier with it.

To everyone complaining it's 'predictable' - the reason you probably feel that way is because generally, everything that should have happened, happened. This isn't because of luck, it isn't bullshit, it was 'by the numbers' because that's how Walter White is. He had months to mull things over, think up plans, decide what he was going to do. He was meticulous and it paid off, there were moments where it could have gone wrong (his keys being taken, being shot by Jack) but as usual he found a way to influence what was happening and control the situation. He used logic and careful planning to tie up the loose ends.

I didn't expect him to save Jesse, there's no way we could have known if he would or not - I believe that after spending months alone with his regrets he learned to understand and forgive Jesse. In the moments after Hank's death he would have been blinded by rage. I think if he'd seen Jesse unchained and willingly making meth he may have acted differently and killed him too, but instead he saw a broken man, forced into it and probably realised to a certain extent that he was the reason for it all.

I'd argue that this episode was anything but predictable, who knew, when comparing this episode to every other Breaking Bad episode that actually, Walt's intelligence would pay off and he'd actually manage to execute his plans to perfection (apart from indirectly killing himself). The usual pattern of BB is that actually everything goes wrong and the unpredictableness is 'how does it go wrong?'. He went into the lab simply to implicate himself as the cook instead of someone else, such as Jesse (and also to cement his legend as heisenberg). Every scene in this show counted towards something, so fucking clever and considered.

I'm incredibly sad it's over but also very very happy we all got to witness it, and five seasons of it at that. Farewell Walter White, you magnificent bastard.
Eh I don't think there is anyway they conclude he was the cook, it's quite obvious that he killed everyone there. Him being the cook would make no sense. But it would reinforce his legend

I don't think so. Walt has been selfish and irresponsible. But I definitely think that saying "I did it for myself" is not mutually exclusive from "I did it for my family" I actually think he's just saying it to give his wife some relief from the guilt of what he's done some how being his fault.

If we truly think that Walt did it entirely for himself then this Whole show makes no sense. He fought tooth and nail to retain his family when he had no real need to.
Even when Skylar cheated on him and then sent millions of Walts money to the tramp he STILL didn't leave. He still stayed around to protect them, he STILL tried to provide for them even though his family (especially Jr) is so annoying.

Again, I think Walt was telling the truth when he said he was doing it for himself but, I think what HE wants is a family, and to provide for them and to protect them.

The CLEAREST example of this is when his bro gets killed.
- Walt was ready to call Jack to come kill Jesse but as soon as Schrader showed up he called them off. Why?
- He then didn't try to escape, he freely gave himself up, without a fight. Why?
- When uncle Jack arrives, Walt kicks and screams trying to call off Jack and Warn Schrader.
- When Jack is about to shoot Hank, Walt pleads and tries to wheel and deal for Hanks Life.
- Why in the world would Walt want to keep Schrader alive?

Why?
Because Walt really cares about him, and his wife and his sister. So even though Walt is a greedy bastard, the ONLY thing more powerful, the only thing more endearing to this manipulating freak is family.

To say that he wasn't doing this for Family seems to be missing the point IMHO.

Yea. I think it was an admission/acceptance finally of guilt of his actions. Like almost it was in his head that his family was driving/making him do these things and Skyler was shouldering some of the guilt. Using it as justification.

To me, it was Walt saying it was all me. Majority of it was ego and liking it. Put part of it was the ego of succeeding in providing for his family, his way. He still cared about family. It wasn't the driving force.

I mean, if it was pure ego and self, he wouldn't had bargained his money away to jack trying to save Hank or would had killed Jesse long ago, like you have said.

Just went back and read through the posts as the show was happening. Fucking lol

I should have posted with you guys. Hilarious read though.

NotLiquid

tumblr_mtx9te5C691qd1240o7_r1_250.gif
tumblr_mtx9te5C691qd1240o8_r3_250.gif

I loved this moment of the episode.

Two seasons ago he threw away his life by doing what he was told. Last night, he did what was right, and took it back.

Did anyone noticed he touched the lab equipment in the same way he touched Holly ? With love

And the fact that just like his meth, his final cook aka the resolution was also 99% resolved

Frolow

Banned
Heh, I read through the S5 spoiler thread and you guys pretty much knew jackshit. AMC had this season on lockdown it seems.

Burli

Pringo
Eh I don't think there is anyway they conclude he was the cook, it's quite obvious that he killed everyone there. Him being the cook would make no sense. But it would reinforce his legend

Well for one he was THE cook capable of producing such a pure and blue product, I think it would be a greater jump for police to decide that he was likely not the cook because the nazis had been killed, maybe he got sick of working with them? Didn't want to share the profits? Lots of ways they could look at it. Either way the famous meth cook is found in a meth lab probably containing recently made product, why would the police think he wasn't cooking prior to the shootout?

Just realised that the daydream of Jesse working on his box actually works as a kind of closure for his character for everyone who wanted to see him 5-10 years ahead (and I'm very glad that didn't happen). Before he's freed by Walt we realise he's longing for the simpler things in life, woodwork for one. Maybe he'll become a carpenter's apprentice in some backwater town making buckets n' shit. He doesn't need a fortune to do that.

The best horrible idea I've heard so far is that in those last moments, Walt cooks once more after Jesse leaves, and produces the first 100% pure meth crystal, holds it in his hand and then vanishes in flash of light just as the cops arrive. Either he goes to the meth dimension or it's a Last Startfighter deal and aliens that need meth to power thier ships pick him up.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Really appreciated the last paragraph:

Breaking Bad wasn't a procedural and it wasn't (exactly) a period piece. It was a mystery box filled with working gears and expertly soldered wires. It grounded dizzying flights of visual fancy with a blue-collar love of process, a dedication to the solid, unglamorous work of getting a story from point A to point Crazy and back again. It was, at once, flammable and controlled, the charming Winnebago and the ruthless superlab. For good or bad, there was always a scientific method to its madness. This was a breathtaking, risky story that always remembered to keep its gas mask on, its hazmat suit zipped. In the end, as in the beginning, Breaking Bad was just too smart to go totally wild.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One thing that always seemed to bother him was that he got off scot-free without the Universe punishing him. But now it did. So I think he can move on from that knowing he paid his dues and served his time.
I suppose in that sense, after turning himself in, he still got punishment and a measure of revenge. The problem is that he's indirectly responsible for the deaths of at least three innocent people.

Yea. I think it was an admission/acceptance finally of guilt of his actions. Like almost it was in his head that his family was driving/making him do these things and Skyler was shouldering some of the guilt. Using it as justification.

To me, it was Walt saying it was all me. Majority of it was ego and liking it. Put part of it was the ego of succeeding in providing for his family, his way. He still cared about family. It wasn't the driving force.

I mean, if it was pure ego and self, he wouldn't had bargained his money away to jack trying to save Hank or would had killed Jesse long ago, like you have said.

Family might have been part of the reason Walt did what he did. But it was a small part. The last thing Walt wanted to experience when he died was the meth lab. Walt's final moments weren't spent worrying if his wife and children would really be OK, they weren't spent reminiscing about happy memories with everyone together. They were in his lab, with his true love.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
he could have acted quick and killed jesse and walt

I think his first reaction was his uncle, his second reaction was the question of what shot them and if that was still a danger, and his third was amazement at what Walt had done. It seemed in character for Todd, honestly.

The way he blew away Uncle Jack was in parallel to how Jack killed Hank in mid-sentence. I love little details like that.

It's like poetry; it rhymes

I think his first reaction was his uncle, his second reaction was the question of what shot them and if that was still a danger, and his third was amazement at what Walt had done. It seemed in character for Todd, honestly.
Todd's a bit of a sociopath

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is it me or in the beginning is Walt praying?

The cops are around him and he says, "Just get me home." It almost seems like he's praying to God to not get caught yet.
I thought they were coy with that. He could be just talking to a car (well, really to himself), like people do when they get angry that the car won't start, etc.

I liked the ending it was fiitting for Walt to die alone with what he always loved; meth. He's hated by everyone, but, he doesn't care he got what he wanted.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Todd's a bit of a sociopath

Oh, he's a total sociopath. That's why the only emotional reaction he should have had at that moment was his uncle, but he dismissed it for the possible threat and then total amazement at Mr. White's actions.

Content Roundup - Episode 8 - Felina

DltSXCz.jpg

Videos
Reviews
- Onion A|V Club review
- Sepinwall's review
- Variety: TV Review: ‘Breaking Bad’ Finale Gets the Chemistry Just Right
- memles on the finale for Cultural Learnings
- Alyssa Rosenberg on the finale
- Slate.com review
- IGN review
- The Atlantic discussion
- Frazier Moore for AP
- Esquire
- LA Times
- Poniewozik's review for Time.com
- Tim Goodman on the finale for THR
- Warming Glow on the finale
- Matt Zoller Seitz review
- Maureen Ryan's review
- Badass Digest
- IndieWire #1
- Salon.com #2
- Slant Magazine
- Emily Nussbaum for The New Yorker
- Sean T Collins @ Rolling Stone
- Washington Post
- Chicago Sun Times
- Cinema Blend
- Collider
- NJ Star-Ledger
- Eric Deggans @ Tampa Bay Times
- The Week
- Film School Rejects
- EW.com
- Linda Holmes @ NPR
- Kate Arthur @ Buzzfeed
- Laura Bennett @ The New Republic
- Andy Greenwald's review for Grantland
- NY Times

Other
- AMC Q&A: Jesse Plemons (Todd Alquist)
- Poniewozik @ Time: How Walter White Became the One Who Knocks
- The Onion: ‘Breaking Bad’ Ends With Reveal That Whole Series Was Plot of Book Marie Shoplifted
- Bad Finger - Baby Blue (closing song)
- El Paso (Full-Length Version) - Marty Robbins
- NY Times: Walter White’s Soul, and Yours (Room For Debate Editorial Feature)
- Warming Glow: ‘Breaking Bad’ Series Finale GIF Highlights: Felina
- Salon: Why Flynn is the real hero of “Breaking Bad”
- National Geographic: Things You Should Know About Ricin
- NY Mag: 11 Breaking Bad Finale Facts Revealed on Talking Bad
- NY Mag: Your Final Breaking Bad GIFs
- EW Interview: Vince Gilligan explains series finale
- EW Interview: Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul discuss ending of 'Breaking Bad' finale
- THR: 'Breaking Bad': The Meaning of the Finale's Last Song
- Forbes: Working Bad: Exclusive Interviews With the Brains Behind 'Breaking Bad' (set of interview links)
- Rolling Stone: Lessons of the 'Breaking Bad' Series Finale
- Andy Greenwald answers a few BB questions in his September Mail Bag for Grantland
- The Week: Breaking Bad: An interview with the show's science advisor
- Canada.com podcast on the finale
- Barry Hertz @ Maclean's: Why Breaking Bad’s finale will disappoint—and we’re all to blame
- EW: 'Breaking Bad': 10 questions we'll never see resolved
- Onion A|V Club's "For Our Consideration" Feature: Breaking Bad ended the anti-hero genre by introducing good and evil

I read Emily Nusbaum's review, I disagree with it and any perspective that is the series ended with too happy/safe an ending. Walt's dead, his family is ruined and hates him, Lydia's daughter's life is fucked, Brock is an orphan. What, because he gives Skyler the location of Hank's body, that somehow is too redemptive for the series? Her life is still going to be complete garbage! And maybe Walt Jr. will get the money, but I took the scene with Gretchen and Elliot less about Walt Jr. and more about Walt just getting one last shot in at them for old time's sake. Hell, he uses Skinny Pete and Badger as hit men, he just wanted to see their shocked faces more than anything. Withering away in a cabin is just not who Walt is, he was always going to end it on his terms. That he does so by embracing the fact that he loves being a despicable human being is not devestating? It's too clean? Really?

Family might have been part of the reason Walt did what he did. But it was a small part. The last thing Walt wanted to experience when he died was the meth lab. Walt's final moments weren't spent worrying if his wife and children would really be OK, they weren't spent reminiscing about happy memories with everyone together. They were in his lab, with his true love.

I agree. Family wasn't first. It was him and his ego and what he loved (his lab work).

But family was part it (small) and it affected some of his decisions.

Top Bottom