• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

DJMicLuv

Not sure if this has been posted before...

El Paso by Marty Robbins [the song Walt listens to in the car, sings a bit of later, and gave the episode it's name]...

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
Music would play and Felina would whirl.

Blacker than night were the eyes of Felina,
Wicked and evil while casting a spell.
My love was deep for this Mexican maiden;
I was in love but in vain, I could tell.

One night a wild young cowboy came in,
Wild as the West Texas wind.
Dashing and daring,
A drink he was sharing
With wicked Felina,
The girl that I loved.

So in anger I

Challenged his right for the love of this maiden.
Down went his hand for the gun that he wore.
My challenge was answered in less than a heart-beat;
The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor.

Just for a moment I stood there in silence,
Shocked by the FOUL EVIL deed I had done.
Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there;
I had but one chance and that was to run.

Out through the back door of Rosa's I ran,
Out where the horses were tied.
I caught a good one.
It looked like it could run.
Up on its back
And away I did ride,

Just as fast as I

Could from the West Texas town of El Paso
Out to the bad-lands of New Mexico.

Back in El Paso my life would be worthless.
Everything's gone in life; nothing is left.
It's been so long since I've seen the young maiden
My love is stronger than my fear of death.

I saddled up and away I did go,
Riding alone in the dark.
Maybe tomorrow
A bullet may find me.
Tonight nothing's worse than this
Pain in my heart.

And at last here I

Am on the hill overlooking El Paso;
I can see Rosa's cantina below.
My love is strong and it pushes me onward.
Down off the hill to Felina I go.

Off to my right I see five mounted cowboys;
Off to my left ride a dozen or more.
Shouting and shooting I can't let them catch me.
I have to make it to Rosa's back door.

Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.
Though I am trying
To stay in the saddle,
I'm getting weary,
Unable to ride.

But my love for

Felina is strong and I rise where I've fallen,
Though I am weary I can't stop to rest.
I see the white puff of smoke from the rifle.
I feel the bullet go deep in my chest.

From out of nowhere Felina has found me,
Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side.
Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for,
One little kiss and Felina, good-bye.

I read Emily Nusbaum's review, I disagree with it and any perspective that is the series ended with too happy/safe an ending. Walt's dead, his family is ruined and hates him, Lydia's daughter's life is fucked, Brock is an orphan. What, because he gives Skyler the location of Hank's body, that somehow is too redemptive for the series? Her life is still going to be complete garbage! And maybe Walt Jr. will get the money, but I took the scene with Gretchen and Elliot less about Walt Jr. and more about Walt just getting one last shot in at them for old time's sake. Hell, he uses Skinny Pete and Badger as hit men, he just wanted to see their shocked faces more than anything. Withering away in a cabin is just not who Walt is, he was always going to end it on his terms. That he does so by embracing the fact that he loves being a despicable human being is not devestating? It's too clean? Really?

She wrote a diatribe about the "wrong kind of fan." She should take a look in the mirror. She should stop trying to make the show out to be something it's not, and then cut it down when it doesn't live up to her own standards, and it turns out she was actually the wrong kind of fan to begin with.

I liked the finale. It was a suitable ending to a fantastic show. Return of badger and skinny Pete as the baddest hit men west of the Mississippi was nice. Jesse flashback or daydream about the box was a nice touch. I'm glad he made it out alive.

People complaining about the ending and saying it wrapped up the show too neatly or said it was unbelievable make me question if we were watching the same show. Realism was never bb strong suit. Fantastic character drama with strong acting performances, the best cinematography on tv, black comedy and black comedy. Walt was always pulling off absurd things.

As far as the pantheon of finales this doesn't match the shield. That's the best finale.

Well said.
This was just a very fulfilling ending to me. It was emotional... and redemptive for Walt (and also Jessie), IMO. I feel like Skyler, Flynn, and Holly can still go on and live a happy life once they get beyond the shadow of what their husband/father did. That pain will never go away and money sure as hell can't erase it, but I think the family unit is still there in a way that survival won't be so bleak. They will also help lift Marie up.
Jessie is a wreck and it's hard to tell what his future might hold.

It just wrapped up really well.

The Shield is my GOAT show and also has a phenomenal ending, but, unlike BB, it just left me depressed. I appreciate it for that, because like the entirety of that particular series it doesn't compromise anything and is brutal in its reality.
I appreciate the 'fantasy' of BB.

It's been said before, but I encourage anyone willing to go a darker route post BB (but still likes the tension and feeling of any particular character being in deep shit at any moment) to go through The Shield.
It's 7 seasons and the train really picks up steam as it gets going. It's not as much of a slow-burn as The Wire, but having guys like Shawn Ryan, Kurt Sutter, & Glenn Mazzara on board (just to name three) means you'll get some amazingly real writing and stand-out performances... especially by Chiklis and CCH Pounder.

Linkhero1

My biggest gripe is going to be:

Did mike ignore Todd's past and affiliates when he did the background check? or he didn't care?

Seems like a pretty big oversight.

My guess is that Mike probably knew of Todd's association with the Nazis but didn't care since he didn't see them as a threat. He wouldn't have known that the Nazis would rise in any way.

Window

Daaaamn seriously!!

Tyin it back to my fave BB moment EVAH.

Post of the thread!!!

Ha, I always do enjoy reading your posts here even though they may be a tad (just a tad!) hyperbolic but I'll take this one.

Really though, the more I think about it the more I like the ending and BB as a whole.

Rational thought goes out the window (no pun intended) when you know you are going to die.

Just to be clear, I think rational and rationalizing are two different things.

BFIB

Did mike ignore Todd's past and affiliates when he did the background check? or he didn't care?

Mike said he had worked with these guys before (Vamanos Pest), and that they can be trusted. Todd was the one who approached Walt about his uncle, so odds are Mike wasn't aware of Todd's connections, just who Todd was, and that he worked for Vamanos.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Isn't that partially why they keep him on after he kills Drew Sharp? Because of his "connections?" Mike knew.

Rojo

Given how mike didnt want him and walter talking to each other im assuming it wasnt his call.

zma1013

No, Mike said he knew he had connections to these guys, but said it wasn't a problem. Since they didn't deal in meth before crossing paths with Walt, I could see how it wouldn't be a concern.

kehs

Banned
What I loved most about this episode happened in the cold opening. Walt trying so hard to start the car with a screw driver while addressing how he left the bar, the Gilligan pulls a big fuck you to everyone talking about how "realistic" this show is by having the keys in the sunguard. From that moment I knew this shit was gonna be magical, and people like korey were gonna get their jimmies rustled.

BFIB

No, Mike said he knew he had connections to these guys, but said it wasn't a problem. Since they didn't deal in meth before crossing paths with Walt, I could see how it wouldn't be a concern.

Not to mention, Mike worked with what he knew. Its why he continued to point out to Walt that despite Gus doing what he did, he knew how to operate a business in the shadows.

I came in here to snarkily question how long until the Breaking Bad backlash starts, but it looks like it already too late. It even has its own not-so-subtle thread on the matter.

I came in here to snarkily question how long until the Breaking Bad backlash starts, but it looks like it already too late. It even has its own not-so-subtle thread on the matter.
You know what, it's like I told a friend who didn't like the show at all... All is not lost, and maybe they'll get a second chance at life one day.

Mike did the background check on Todd before they purchase Vamanos Pest and, after the killing of Drew Sharpe, Todd mentions that he has connections ("I've got connections, my uncle, he's got his connections in prison who I think'll be a real help to us"). Mike dismisses it, mentioning that it arose during his background check, Todd is just flexing, and it didn't bother him then and it doesn't bother him at the time of the meeting (immediately following Sharpe's disposal). As it turns out, it certainly should have bothered him but that's only through hindsight.

Opiate

In the brief moment of recovery after the machine gun attack, Todd seemed impressed by Walt's ingenuity even in the face of the violent murder of his uncle and his friends.

Vashetti

Banned
a_560x0.jpg

"AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!"

What a fucking perfect ending for Jesse. Freedom.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic finale, an amazing end to an amazing show.

Joco

Just finished watching it, and while the ending didn't blow me away it was a very good, very solid finish to a great show. You know a show's great when you feel like you have a hole in your life after it's done, which I do now. Thank you Vince Gilligan for creating this masterpiece, and all of the actors (especially Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul), for making this such a great series.

I really don't see this "backlash". It was inevitable that some people to hate on the finale. Heck, some of these same people bashing the finale also complained about Ozymandias, which is arguably the greatest episode of anything ever.

Most posters in the "why do all series finales suck" thread agree that the Breaking Bad finale was fantastic. The thread basically backfired.

BFIB

Now, for those who have never seen it, its not quite BB levels, but its pretty damn close. If you need a show to fill the void and have not done so, watch Justified.

In the brief moment of recovery after the machine gun attack but before Jesse's, Todd seemed impressed by Walt's ingenuity even in the face of the violent murder of his uncle and his friends.

He's fascinating. There didn't seem to be any sense of anger in his final (interrupted) line as one would expect; there was a mix of shock and reverence and whereas with other characters who were cut-off before their murder (Hank, and Jack, there's probably more in the show but I can't remember) it's extremely difficult to pinpoint what he was actually going to say, if it would be praise, horror, regret (that he didn't side with Walter further) or some other completely unfitting yet logical sense of emotions. It's a shame he was added so late in the show as they really developed him into a fascinating character in his relatively brief appearance within the show.

deim0s

Mike did the background check on Todd before they purchase Vamanos Pest and, after the killing of Drew Sharpe, Todd mentions that he has connections ("I've got connections, my uncle, he's got his connections in prison who I think'll be a real help to us"). Mike dismisses it, mentioning that it arose during his background check, Todd is just flexing, and it didn't bother him then and it doesn't bother him at the time of the meeting (immediately following Sharpe's disposal). As it turns out, it certainly should have bothered him but that's only through hindsight.

Is this probably why Mike explicitly said to the crew not to talk or bother Walt and Jesse in any way.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Now, for those who have never seen it, its not quite BB levels, but its pretty damn close. If you need a show to fill the void and have not done so, watch Justified.

brofist

It's never quite the same as BB in terms of tone or making your heart race, but it doesn't need to be. It does what it does very well. Honestly, as much as I love Mad Men, Justified is probably my favorite show on TV now that Breaking Bad is done.

Top Bottom