• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

bigmf

The only thing I would like to have seen was Walter letting Todd know that he killed Lydia. I just can't figure out how they would have been able to slide that in, so I'll say that the ending was perfect.

hsin

Banned
Eh I don't think there is anyway they conclude he was the cook, it's quite obvious that he killed everyone there. Him being the cook would make no sense. But it would reinforce his legend

It's PLAUSIBLE they could conclude that he's the cook. Walt's signature blue meth (Blue Sky) is still out on the market and, as evidenced by Badger's and Skinny Pete's reactions, people assume that Heisenberg is still cooking. Publicly, no one even knows that Jesse Pinkman even exists, let alone the fact that he's the only other person that can cook a meth that is both blue and comparably pure. And although Walt DID kill everyone there, he also died from being shot by the same gun that killed the Nazis, so it's possible that authorities would assume that this was maybe a rival drug cartel taking out the competition.

Jenov

Really good finale, heart wrenching with the family scenes and the final Jesse meet up. The one thing I can't quite wrap my mind around was his conversation on the phone with Lydia at the end. Why would he bother talking to her and telling her about the Ricin? Did he want her to seek help so she could live for her daughter? Or is she doomed to die regardless and it was a final prideful fuck you to Lydia to let her know that he got her?

Blader

Probably way lttp on this, but has any note been made about the cold open? That it was, literally, an opening set in the cold?

He's fascinating. There didn't seem to be any sense of anger in his final (interrupted) line as one would expect; there was a mix of shock and reverence and whereas with other characters who were cut-off before their murder (Hank, and Jack, there's probably more in the show but I can't remember) it's extremely difficult to pinpoint what he was actually going to say, if it would be praise, horror, regret (that he didn't side with Walter further) or some other completely unfitting yet logical sense of emotions. It's a shame he was added so late in the show as they really developed him into a fascinating character in his relatively brief appearance within the show.
I agree. Meth Damon was completely unhinged sociopath. Hes the kind of guy that would microwave a kitten and watch it with zero emotion on his face. He was awestruck with Heisenberg because he wasnt a silly nazi in a hideout. He was the meticulous kingpin bar none. He aspired to be like that.

BadHand

The only thing I would like to have seen was Walter letting Todd know that he killed Lydia. I just can't figure out how they would have been able to slide that in, so I'll say that the ending was perfect.

I'm not sure Walt would have been aware of Todd's infatuation for Lydia.

inm8num2

Almost 99.1% pure - Heisenberg would be proud :)

ilX9ypPwTsLP9.gif

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Really good finale, heart wrenching with the family scenes and the final Jesse meet up. The one thing I can't quite wrap my mind around was his conversation on the phone with Lydia at the end. Why would he bother talking to her and telling her about the Ricin? Did he want her to seek help so she could live for her daughter? Or is she doomed to die regardless and it was a final prideful fuck you to Lydia to let her know that he got her?

that was more for the audience. Wrapping it up with a big "Yeah, Lydia is fucked " moment for the people too slow to understand why they panned in on her putting the sweetener in her tea earlier.

I gotta say that Jesse teeth in that gif look pretty good for a guy who spend 6 months living entirely off of ice cream and rat shit.

Also, when todd and Lydia meet, It looks like there is a moment when Todd compliments her blouse, and she just barely smiles and give him a look that says 'ok, win me over litte man.'

zma1013

I agree. Meth Damon was completely unhinged sociopath. Hes the kind of guy that would microwave a kitten and watch it with zero emotion on his face. He was awestruck with Heisenberg because he wasnt a silly nazi in a hideout. He was the meticulous kingpin bar none. He aspired to be like that.

No, he's the guy who would be playing with a kitten while someone would be screaming and begging for their life, then he would shoot the person and then just continue playing with the kitten as if nothing happened.

NotLiquid

I read Emily Nusbaum's review, I disagree with it and any perspective that is the series ended with too happy/safe an ending. Walt's dead, his family is ruined and hates him, Lydia's daughter's life is fucked, Brock is an orphan. What, because he gives Skyler the location of Hank's body, that somehow is too redemptive for the series? Her life is still going to be complete garbage! And maybe Walt Jr. will get the money, but I took the scene with Gretchen and Elliot less about Walt Jr. and more about Walt just getting one last shot in at them for old time's sake. Hell, he uses Skinny Pete and Badger as hit men, he just wanted to see their shocked faces more than anything. Withering away in a cabin is just not who Walt is, he was always going to end it on his terms. That he does so by embracing the fact that he loves being a despicable human being is not devestating? It's too clean? Really?

To be perfectly fair, the time lapse between Ozymandias and Granite State was supposed to be the time frame in which everyone finally gets to cope with those radically changed circumstances. Walter isn't returning to ABQ witnessing the crisis, he's witnessing the ruin. Everything bad that's happened has already happened and people have gotten used to that kind of life, so it's hard to say that everything will be going to shit from now when we already saw that. That said, what Walter did wasn't so much "turn things around". It's more so that he put a permanent end to it and froze that downward spiral. He took Saul's (and Junior's) advice and finally turn himself in. But not before going out in a blaze of glory.

If Ozymandias and Granite State was basically Walt realizing his time is nigh, then Felina is really just him opting to pacify what little loose ends there are for everyone else so they can move on with their life without him looming over their heads. Is Skyler still going to be mentally crushed by the ordeal? Perhaps. But now she won't have to worry about cops stalking her or being labeled an accomplice, she can be free, and that seeming exhaust of relief when Walter finally stops lying to himself seems to signify she can finally hope to be at peace. Is Junior still going to resent his dad? Absolutely. But he got his wish for his dad to stop tormenting the family, and in time he'll have the ability to support his family. Most likely, Brock would have also have been forced to adapt to a hard life without his mother, and with enough luck... maybe Jesse can look out for him.

Much like Walter White himself said; people move on, and he made one hell of a great job in making an exit considering what little he had to work with.

I still don't know how this is the perfect ending for a person in his psychological state...

It's the perfect ending given what they've got to work with.

I can't really imagine a better ending to his character. He's finally free to live; hopefully with a new outlook on life, and no one's going to come back gunning for him.

I still don't know how this is the perfect ending for a person in his psychological state...
I kind of took his flashback as to mean that he wanted to put it all behind him and lead a quieter life from now on.

Who knows how that will go for a former millionaire methhead, but it's a nice thought any way.

(mat)

I loved the subtle moment in the cold open when Walt talks to Heisenberg. Shot of the rear view mirror, and Walt says, "Just get me home... I'll do the rest." or something along those lines.

Also, two of you mentioned previously something I hadn't caught. In the final scene when Walt is looking at his reflection in the meth equipment, the way the reflection bends makes him look bald, or rather, makes him look like Heisenberg. In addition, the light reflecting off of the side appears above Heisenberg's head, appearing much like a halo.

My favorite moment in the finale was Walt's transformation. In the chemistry speech Walt gave in the beginning, he mentioned "Growth, decay, and transformation." We saw the growth. We saw the decay. I don't believe we saw the transformation until he said out lout to Skyler, "I did this for myself. I liked it."

I hated that shot so much. It was like "alright we get it". Fucking LOVED the shot in Gretchens house while they were in the kitchen though. I paused my DVR for a second to take it in.

Which shot was that?

Did anybody else not even notice walt during that long establishing shot inside the coffee shop until he stood up?

I didn't notice him until he walked behind them and picked up the chair, haha.

Top Bottom