• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

It was ok. I think in hindsight the best part of this series will always be the first four seasons. Nothing has touched The Shield finale yet.

zma1013

Tumblr gifs are truly terrible.

breakingbad-first-final-7.gif

Hmm, I just wanted to post the huel gif, but it did them both.

ultrazilla

It appears we can discuss spoilers so I'm ok. :)

I couldn't have asked for a better ending to the series. And for anyone saying the ending was "too neat" I respectfully disagree. IMHO, this series deserved a finite ending.

There were still some things left up to the viewer to think about: What happens to Jesse? I figure he's heading to go get Brock and meet up with Badger and Skinny Pete. I still think he's got money somewhere and will end up getting his life turned around and be a good father figure to Brock. Badger and Skinny Pete will fulfill their obligations to Walt and make sure Grey Matter pays up to Skyler and family when the time comes.

I think Skyler, Flynn and Holly will end up just fine with Skyler being absolved of any wrong doing with Marie helping vouch for her.

Lydia is very dead(from what I understand, once ricin is in your system, you are dead and there's no magic antidote for it...I'd google it but don't want the FBI kicking down my door)

Obviously, the nazi scum are very dead.

All in all, an amazing ending to an amazing show.

mxgt

Banned
just finished watching it again and I think the jesse woodworking scene might be one of my favourites in the entire show

;_;

braves01

Banned
Brilliant finale, I didn't want it to end.

One question, what happened to Huell?

Edit:;

Great minds...

He flees to Omaha, looking for a new lease on life. Upon disembarking from the greyhound, his first stop is nearby Cinnabon where hopes a little snack will sweeten his otherwise sour first impression of the flat dusty city. Lo and behold he encounters an old acquaintance, his former employer in fact, and after many "hell naws" Huell finds himself roped back into the lifestyle he sought to escape.

Nameless

Going into the episode I had a similar mindset. Lydia didn't need to die for any reason Walt could manufacture. That changed when Skylar revealed that the men wanted to kill his family when they questioned her about the woman at the gas station. She had to die after that moment.

The sequence of events could have been out of place now that I think about it.

Reason 1 - Lydia already threatened Walt earlier in the season. Taking her out to avoid any possible retribution on his family for blowing up her operation is sound strategy. Lydia and the Nazi's were partners after all.

Reason 2 - Walt never expected to leave the meeting with the Nazi's alive, killing Lydia further insures that his product dies with him.

Linkhero1

a) backup
b) didn't want to leave a vial containing white powder hidden in a drug-lord's house

A) Backup for what exactly? I mean, he would need to slip the ricin into something and someone to consume it for it to be effective.

B) His days were numbered. I don't think it would have made any difference to his image if the ricin was discovered later on.

My favorite television show after The Twilight Zone. My only complaint is that the finale is the only episode during the entire run that I felt was a relative lowpoint, a denouement more than a climax, certainly. Breaking Bad is probably the only series I've ever seen where not a single episode disappointed me, not even this one, but the neat ending, as fair and true to the characters' arcs as it was, seemed too neat. I guess I was hoping for more lingering, philosophical takes and a scene which could soak up a lot of emotion that had built up, not just any questions to any outcomes, but simply a layered descent that was meant to embody the arrival and acceptance of the main character to his fate. They technically did cover these bases, connected those dots, but I felt there were a couple of the too-obvious and redundant bits that took precious time and landing room away from what might have been a fuller, more confident and calmer sense of closure. Mainly, I didn't need to see Lydia sick nor did I want to...it was clear just by the camera framing that scene in the cafe. Other than that, it was a great episode...a great finale if you take the last three or four episodes together as a proper one...just not quite the pure black cup of coffee I looked forward to. So glad this was the one show I invested so much time in. Legendary.

Going into the episode I had a similar mindset. Lydia didn't need to die for any reason Walt could manufacture. That changed when Skylar revealed that the men wanted to kill his family when they questioned her about the woman at the gas station. She had to die after that moment.

Perhaps it was just another back up plan for Walt?

If he didn't succeed in killing the Nazis then at least they couldn't sell his meth anymore. Also, if the Nazis had checked the trunk, and killed Walt then the police would have shown up to bust them minutes later.

I got the impression that Walt was going through a chain of events that would ensure that even if he was caught, or killed he would still disable the Nazis to a certain point.

You guys should just accept the fact that he killed Lyida because she knew too much, was still selling his meth and was unreliable. No half measures.

A) Backup for what exactly? I mean, he would need to slip the ricin into something and someone to consume it for it to be effective.

B) His days were numbered. I don't think it would have made any difference to his image if the ricin was discovered later on.

Backup in case he has to surreptitiously kill someone. Better to have that option than not to have it. For someone as resourceful as Walter, he'd assume that he could find a way of doing it

And as much of an antagonist as he is, Walter would not want somebody innocently finding the vial and poisoning themselves. I guess he could have notified anybody, even Skyler, to remove it though

amnesiac

I can't stop watching the ending. Too good.

Guys I need a show to watch, pick one for me: The Wire or The Sopranos? Can't watch The Shield because it's not streaming (legally) anywhere online.

Linkhero1

Backup in case he has to surreptitiously kill someone. Better to have that option than not to have it. For someone as resourceful as Walter, he'd assume that he could find a way of doing it

And as much of an antagonist as he is, Walter would not want somebody innocently finding the vial and poisoning themselves. I guess he could have notified anybody, even Skyler, to remove it though

I don't see how he would have needed to do that if he was going into the Nazis HQ prepared to die unless he was planning on using the ricin to kill someone prior to going to the Nazis HQ. I doubt he cares if anyone found the vial and used it. He's done so much that's made him look like a monster. Throughout every season they showed that he didn't give a damn about anyone besides those close to him and himself.

.GqueB.

Banned
LOST had its moments after season 1 but in retrospect the desire to want to know what this or that means was just superficial, hollow marketing to get people to watch without any real intention or ability to craft a logical, satisfying resolution for all the mythology.

I'm not even sure how I feel about that show anymore. On the one hand it had it's grip on me. I was so into that show that I would go to trader joes every week and pick up a pesto pizza in anticipation of watching it. It was always quite the experience for me. The finale has rendered it completely unwatchable at this point. I tried to watch season 1 again (for the 4th time mind you) but I couldn't do it. It's like going on a hike along a beautiful trail that you know ends with you having to dive into a pool of someone else's urine. I'm not sure I want to take that trip. I know people say "what matters is the journey" but in this case I'm not so sure.

Not even the BSG finale did that to me. I'm watching it through again right now even with no problem (though the middle of season 2 was pretty wretched and I didn't notice the first time). I'm sure I'll be able to start up Breaking Bad again at any point in my life. My watching was also staggered and inconsistent so I kind of want to experience this again. I think I pre-requisite for my next gf is having not seen BB so I can have an excuse to watch it again.

I'm putting that on my okc profile actually.

grkazan12

Guys I need a show to watch, pick one for me: The Wire or The Sopranos? Can't watch The Shield because it's not streaming (legally) anywhere online.

I'm starting The Shield after all the positive impressions that I've read in this thread. The whole series is on Amazon Prime Instant Video.

Mononoke

Banned

Breaking my promise that I wouldn't post here again.

BUT - I think it's more than reasonable that Walt decided to kill Lydia, even before talking to Skyler. He knows that Lydia is dangerous, and cunning. And he knows she is still pushing his blue meth across the country. I don't think it's that unreasonable that Walt wanted to tie up ALL LOOSE ends, including her. Hell, Mike even told Walt to be careful with her, because she deserves to die more than any man he knows.

This is the same person that asked Mike to kill EVERYONE that was ever associated with her. It's not that far fetched that Walt would believe that Lydia is capable of doing that to his family. Because he knows she's paranoid as fuck. She's always on edge, and is always looking at every single way to protect herself. And that's not even factoring in the revenge aspect, that Lydia is doing business with the men that killed Hank, and who are profiting off of his work.

I would watch The Sopranos first, then The Wire, but to be honest both shows are great.

Blader

I'm starting The Shield after all the positive impressions that I've read in this thread. The whole series is on Amazon Prime Instant Video.

Just be aware that S1 is not all that great. I may actually be in the minority on that, personally I thought it was trying too hard to be a "tough cop show" that it was borderline obnoxious. But starting from the ep of S2, that show takes the fuck OFF and the last couple seasons are some of the best TV ever put on screen.

As mentioned, the Shield is available via Amazon Prime.

You can't lose if you go with either one, really

Just be aware that S1 is not all that great. I may actually be in the minority on that, personally I thought it was trying too hard to be a "tough cop show" that it was borderline obnoxious. But starting from the ep of S2, that show takes the fuck OFF and the last couple seasons are some of the best TV ever put on screen.

Oh, it's most definitely really fucking obnoxious. That's best exemplified in the dog-awful "theme song" or whatever that fake-hardcore garbage is at the beginning.

The show has its own speedbumps to overcome, but they're in the vast minority compared to the great things.

Vashetti

Banned
People are actually questioning why Walt killed Lydia?

She's a loose-end. She has to go to protect Walt's family.

As of the series finale, every major 'bad' connection to Walt and the meth-business is dead.

Ithil

It appears we can discuss spoilers so I'm ok. :)

I couldn't have asked for a better ending to the series. And for anyone saying the ending was "too neat" I respectfully disagree. IMHO, this series deserved a finite ending.

There were still some things left up to the viewer to think about: What happens to Jesse? I figure he's heading to go get Brock and meet up with Badger and Skinny Pete. I still think he's got money somewhere and will end up getting his life turned around and be a good father figure to Brock. Badger and Skinny Pete will fulfill their obligations to Walt and make sure Grey Matter pays up to Skyler and family when the time comes.

I think Skyler, Flynn and Holly will end up just fine with Skyler being absolved of any wrong doing with Marie helping vouch for her.

Lydia is very dead(from what I understand, once ricin is in your system, you are dead and there's no magic antidote for it...I'd google it but don't want the FBI kicking down my door)

Obviously, the nazi scum are very dead.

All in all, an amazing ending to an amazing show.

They already fulfilled their obligations, all Walt paid them to do was to hold laser pointers. There is no actual threat to Gretchen and Elliot, they just believe there is which will keep them in line just fine.

Hindle

Banned
The look on Walts face as he looked around the meth lab for the last time. You could so tell he loved every second of being Heisenberg.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
They already fulfilled their obligations, all Walt paid them to do was to hold laser pointers. There is no actual threat to Gretchen and Elliot, they just believe there is which will keep them in line just fine.

It's why the "legend of Heisenberg" is so important. They will believe that lie.

zkylon

zkylewd
anyone knows a way to go around amc's youtube region block?

Amazon Prime has every season of The Shield which is a great show. So is The Sopranos. Haven't seen The Wire yet.

Content Roundup - Episode 8 - Felina

DltSXCz.jpg

Videos
Reviews
- Onion A|V Club review
- Sepinwall's review
- Variety: TV Review: ‘Breaking Bad’ Finale Gets the Chemistry Just Right
- memles on the finale for Cultural Learnings
- Alyssa Rosenberg on the finale
- Slate.com review
- IGN review
- The Atlantic discussion
- Frazier Moore for AP
- Esquire
- LA Times
- Poniewozik's review for Time.com
- Tim Goodman on the finale for THR
- Warming Glow on the finale
- Matt Zoller Seitz review
- Maureen Ryan's review
- Badass Digest
- IndieWire #1
- Salon.com #2
- Slant Magazine
- Emily Nussbaum for The New Yorker
- Sean T Collins @ Rolling Stone
- Washington Post
- Chicago Sun Times
- Cinema Blend
- Collider
- NJ Star-Ledger
- Eric Deggans @ Tampa Bay Times
- The Week
- Film School Rejects
- EW.com
- Linda Holmes @ NPR
- Kate Arthur @ Buzzfeed
- Laura Bennett @ The New Republic
- Andy Greenwald's review for Grantland
- NY Times
- Toronto Star
- Jaime Weinman @ Maclean's
- Ryan McGee
- The Guardian
- TV.com
- LA Times #2
- Matt Zoller Seitz's video review

Other
- AMC Q&A: Jesse Plemons (Todd Alquist)
- Poniewozik @ Time: How Walter White Became the One Who Knocks
- The Onion: ‘Breaking Bad’ Ends With Reveal That Whole Series Was Plot of Book Marie Shoplifted
- Bad Finger - Baby Blue (closing song)
- El Paso (Full-Length Version) - Marty Robbins
- NY Times: Walter White’s Soul, and Yours (Room For Debate Editorial Feature)
- Warming Glow: ‘Breaking Bad’ Series Finale GIF Highlights: Felina
- Salon: Why Flynn is the real hero of “Breaking Bad”
- National Geographic: Things You Should Know About Ricin
- NY Mag: 11 Breaking Bad Finale Facts Revealed on Talking Bad
- NY Mag: Your Final Breaking Bad GIFs
- EW Interview: Vince Gilligan explains series finale
- EW Interview: Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul discuss ending of 'Breaking Bad' finale
- THR: 'Breaking Bad': The Meaning of the Finale's Last Song
- Forbes: Working Bad: Exclusive Interviews With the Brains Behind 'Breaking Bad' (set of interview links)
- Rolling Stone: Lessons of the 'Breaking Bad' Series Finale
- Andy Greenwald answers a few BB questions in his September Mail Bag for Grantland
- The Week: Breaking Bad: An interview with the show's science advisor
- Canada.com podcast on the finale
- Barry Hertz @ Maclean's: Why Breaking Bad’s finale will disappoint—and we’re all to blame
- EW: 'Breaking Bad': 10 questions we'll never see resolved
- Onion A|V Club's "For Our Consideration" Feature: Breaking Bad ended the anti-hero genre by introducing good and evil
- NY Mag: The Dream of Jesse Pinkman’s Happy Ending
- THR: Beyond 'Breaking Bad': What's Next for the Show's Stars
- NY Mag: Albuquerque Said Good-bye to Breaking Bad With Finale Parties
- Yahoo Interview: Michael Bowen on Becoming Uncle Jack
- Slate.com: Exclusive: Aaron Paul’s Complete Script for the Breaking Bad Finale
- EW: 'Breaking Bad' series finale ratings smash all records (10.3M viewers, 5.4 in the 18-49 demo)
- Time: Breaking Bad Finale Downloaded Illegally 500,000 Times in 12 Hours
- Insider Podcast is up
- Sepinwall & Fienberg talking BB on this week's podcast
- NY Mag: Breaking Bad and Badfinger’s ‘Baby Blue’
- Warming Glow: The ‘Breaking Bad’ Character First And Last Appearance GIF Wall
- Zap2It: 'Breaking Bad' vs. 'The Sopranos' series finales: One size does not fit all
- Maureen Ryan and others discussing the finaleon HuffPost Live (video)
- NY Mag: Breaking Bad’s Laura Fraser on Lydia, Stevia, and ‘Gross’ Todd
- Onion A|V Club: Here are some pictures from the Breaking Bad finale screening
- Rolling Stone: Five Revelations From the Near-Perfect 'Breaking Bad' Finale
- AMC Fan Quiz on the finale
- PN Inlander: Who's Really "The One who Knocks" on Breaking Bad?
- The Awl: Customers Who Didn't Buy The "Breaking Bad" Finale Also Didn't Buy…
- EW: Badfinger's Joey Molland talk 'Baby Blue' in the 'Breaking Bad' finale
- Andy Greenwald talking BB finale on this week's Grantland Podcast

Does nobody think 9 million dollars is a lot for Walt jr to receive from Elliot and Gretchen? I mean yes, they gave 28 million already, but that was spread out.

How is it anywhere near plausible for them to give that much money to one individual without raising suspicions? Certainly Walt Jr. will suspect something?

Top Bottom