• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Stoze

Breaking Bad is rarely unpredictable on a moment to moment basis, in fact I wouldn't categorize it as being a shocking or surprising show, and that's not a bad thing. The best moments in BrBa come from knowing what lies ahead. We knew Walt was going to kill Krazy 8 the moment he pieced together that broken plate. We knew when Gus was going to get killed the moment he wanted to head down to the hospital himself, if not before that. We knew the Nazi's were still coming even after Walt told them not to on the phone. We know what's going to happen, but we don't know how it's going to come to life on screen. What makes the show so great is that nearly everything is executed better than we could have imagined, and I'm saying that literally. I can't really imagine more satisfying and intense episodes for this universe than what these writers have created.

Great finale. Everything wrapped up nicely.

But I hated how Todd went. He got up and just stared out the window like a doofus for a good 5 seconds? Come on.

Blader

That's exactly my point. Nothing bad happened to Walt in the finale currently and a bullet in the head doesn't really change that since his death was inevitable. What it changes is whether Jesse gets rescued, the Nazis die. I wanted that collateral damage to be permanent. Bad things happen to good people. Jesse deserves freedom, but he shouldn't have gotten it. Nazis deserve to die, but the show should have ended with their triumph.

But the show is just the opposite. Good people get hurt and die along the way, but Breaking Bad is ultimately a moralist story and always has been.

That, and going grim just for the sake of grim has always seemed like a cop-out to me, imo. Happy endings (which is pretty relative here lol) can be just as powerful as any dark ending, and I think going dark for dark's sake is pretty cheap.

Well, there's also a lot more channels now, and a lot more shows. I'm not sure that overall viewership has declined as much as just looking at individual show highs would suggest.

The 2012 Superbowl had an estimated total audience of 167 million people, which is no slouch even accounting for the larger pool of people it's drawing from. When Glee was on after the superbowl it had 26 million people watching it.

While I'm sure those are factors as a whole TV viewership has definitely declined.

Nameless

Going the flash forward route really opened the flood gates for rampant online speculating & theorizing, which inevitably leads to people being disappointed when their dreams don't come true, as it were.

As someone who doubted if they could kill Walt without force feeding the audience some cheesy moral of the story such as 'crime never pays', I feel satisfied. We're conditioned for karma to prevail, for a depraved character to either grovel for redemption or pay the piper, and I'm glad BB didn't go that route.

Walt went out basking in his infamy knowing all he'd done had not been for nothing: His family will reap the rewards of his hard work,(a man provides), his legacy is intact; he'll always be remembered as being the absolute best at something. He finally slayed the Gray Matter monkey that's been clawing at his back for decades. Unlike Gus, he looked the man who wronged him dead in the eyes as he negotiated for his life before snatching his vengeance. And to top it off he got to reneig on the Jesse mistake & give Hank closure before dying with a smile, ultimately averting the slow cancerous death he lamented early in the series.

Walt won as he always should have.

inm8num2

But I hated how Todd went. He got up and just stared out the window like a doofus for a good 5 seconds? Come on.

Already posted, but I'll do it again anyway.

XU4BkLF.png

maharg

idspispopd
Scarface did it first. The shield did it first.

Eh. Neither scarface or the shield were about someone 'normal' becoming someone bad. The scarface analogy is common but Tony Montana was already a bad dude when the movie starts. And The Shield is, in a lot of ways, almost the exact opposite. Vic's
worst act is arguably in the pilot

IceCold

The Insider Podcast of the finale is really insightful and I suggest all you guys to have a listen to it. Some of these pitches are pretty crazy.

jtb

Banned
But the show is just the opposite. Good people get hurt and die along the way, but Breaking Bad is ultimately a moralist story and always has been.

That, and going grim just for the sake of grim has always seemed like a cop-out to me, imo. Happy endings (which is pretty relative here lol) can be just as powerful as any dark ending, and I think going dark for dark's sake is pretty cheap.

I guess I completely disagree on your assessment of this show. I've don't particularly see Breaking Bad as a morality tale, and I think it's stronger because of it. And I don't think Walt's little plan failing is going dark for dark's sake—like I said, it's a damnation a Walt's character. If Walter White is a tragic figure, then this is the tragedy; all he ever wanted was agency, and in the end, that should be the one thing he can't have.

Epic Drop

I wonder if people would have rather Granite State was the ending.

Yes. Absolutely. I told my wife after we watched Granite State last week that the ending of that episode was better than anything else they could come up with for the actual finale. It wasn't contrived, it wasn't clean, it didn't close the book on every loose end - and that is OK. You can't finish all of the plot lines without it coming across as weak and predictable, which is what we got. It would have given people something to talk about. Plus, it ended on the classic breaking bad theme song.

So yes, granite state was a better finale than what we got.

Blader

Yes. Absolutely. I told my wife after we watched Granite State last week that the ending of that episode was better than anything else they could come up with for the actual finale. It wasn't contrived, it wasn't clean, it didn't close the book on every loose end - and that is OK. You can't finish all of the plot lines without it coming across as weak and predictable, which is what we got. It would have given people something to talk about. Plus, it ended on the classic breaking bad theme song.

Or any loose end, for that matter.

jtb

Banned
If the show ended after Gliding After All, I think I'd feel around the same amount of satisfaction as I do with the finale after this last batch of episodes, if they wanted to go for a more open-ended ending. Granite State though? That's just an odd place to end the story imo

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

That would have been awful. It would have ended with "it's all up to you to decide!"

Which is why I say that it hasn't declined as much as individual show ratings would suggest. Note that the largest drop mentioned in that article isn't live tv as a whole, but broadcast (as in, not cable or satalite) TV, which is a pretty obvious trend as cable has so much more content than it used to.

I see. I stand corrected.

I don't see why it makes him a simpleton at all, and that absolutely wasn't what I meant to suggest. He saw the threat as being external and he was focused on that.

Yeah I just think it was incredibly silly. I would have preferred to see him wounded on the ground and Jesse does his thing.

He fires a gun like a doofus, so there's that for some consistency.

Really enjoyed the finale, but so bummed the show is done. Simply an amazing series.

Where do you to gift basket?

what the fuck is this and why isn't there a link attached?

Jesse would be killed by the end of season 1 by a drug dealer. Vince thought of him as the baddest of the characters he thought up of. Vince said that part of this drug dealers character made his way into Gus, Tuco and Crazy Eight. Walt would be so incredibly depressed and angry that Jesse was murdered that he took his rage on this drug dealer and seeked revenge. He kidnapped the drug dealer and tied hum up to a pole in the basement. Walt set up a trip wire with a shotgun in the basement that would blow the drug dealers head off if he escaped. Walt wanted the drug dealer to kill himself and in order to make him do that Walt was going to torture him until he had enough suffering to commit suicide. Every day Walt would go into the basement at 4 pm and take off a piece of his body, first it would be a toe, then a foot and a leg. Walt was at this for two weeks and becoming more monstrous in the ways he would torture and amputate his body parts. One evening Walt Jr walks downstairs and sees the drug dealer and offers the man some water and says he will call the police. The drug dealer in haze from his earlier torturing would see Walt Jr. and knowing that the boy was Walt's son; the drug dealer would set off the trip wire killing them both.

EDIT: There was another story where Walt and Skyler would go to the vacuum repair guy to flee the Feds. Skyler would be in shock after Hank is dead and just be in a 'zombie state'. They would both be in some cheap hotel room, skyler in the bathroom and walt on the bed. Walt was saying how everyhting will be alright and that he has a plan and he waits for skyler to answer but she doesn't. He breaks into the bathroom and sees her in a bathtub full of blood.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad/insider-podcast-season-5

I thought the finale was pretty sloppily-written, all things considered. Walt being able to just stroll about the town - including getting in and out of Skyler's house after the DEA already knew to watch it - was pretty ridiculous, even with the whole "spreading the DEA thin" handwaving, and the idea that Skyler and Flynn wouldn't be suspicious getting a trust fund of MILLIONS from Gretchen and Elliot is just not something at all logical or believable for Walt to think, at that point. And why wouldn't the Nazis check his freakin' trunk for weapons, or a bomb, or something, before letting him in the compound?

It just seemed like everything happened because, well, the plot required it. I guess that's fine, but as endings go, it was pretty damn safe. BB has never been the least realistic, but even in terms of character writing, it seemed almost like a fan-fiction.

So Walt finally realizes he did it all for himself. You could argue that the ending of Season 4, taken in a vacuum - the relish Walt takes in saying, "I won" - suggested basically the same thing, but in a less on-the-nose way.

Wilbur

Banned
If the show ended after Gliding After All, I think I'd feel around the same amount of satisfaction as I do with the finale after this last batch of episodes, if they wanted to go for a more open-ended ending. Granite State though? That's just an odd place to end the story imo

No fucking way, Hank finding out as the ending? God fucking no. It would kill people.

Same with people that say it should have ended at the end of Season 4. Walt saying I won? Us seeing the Lily of the Valley? We didn't see any Walt downfall there, or Gliding Over All.

This one, he may have 'won', but he suffered terrible consequences to get there. He suffered next to nothing comparably in those two episodes.

Stet

Banned
Really enjoyed it. I wasn't here for this season because I had a lot spoiled for me last season but I was with you in spirit.

Before this episode I wanted it to end exactly the way it did but with Jesse killing Walt at the end, but I much prefer the way it happened in retrospect.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't see how Walt "won" this finale. He reveals to Jr. that his whole reason for doing this is that he doesn't want to be remembered as a failure in the mind of his children after he dies. And I see no future where his children have anything other than contempt for him.

Walt just embraced who he really was and set out to destroy what remained of his empire. He wanted it to die with him, not live on without him like Gray Matter did.

Courage

They could have easily cut the whole Gretchen/Elliot thing and have an extended scene with the Nazis and Jesse. Only issue I have is Walt Jr and Holly getting his dirty money.

But then we wouldn't have had that beautiful scene in their house and we wouldn't have seen Badger and Skinny Pete, so fuck it.

I thought the finale was pretty sloppily-written, all things considered. Walt being able to just stroll about the town - including getting in and out of Skyler's house after the DEA already knew to watch it - was pretty ridiculous, even with the whole "spreading the DEA thin" handwaving, and the idea that Skyler and Flynn wouldn't be suspicious getting a trust fund of MILLIONS from Gretchen and Elliot is just not something at all logical or believable for Walt to think, at that point. And why wouldn't the Nazis check his freakin' trunk for weapons, or a bomb, or something, before letting him in the compound?

It just seemed like everything happened because, well, the plot required it. I guess that's fine, but as endings go, it was pretty damn safe. BB has never been the least realistic, but even in terms of character writing, it seemed almost like a fan-fiction.

So Walt finally realizes he did it all for himself. You could argue that the ending of Season 4, taken in a vacuum - the relish Walt takes in saying, "I won" - suggested basically the same thing, but in a less on-the-nose way.

I disagree. I know the show is not the most realistic, but I don't think what happened was beyond belief.

He looked like a hobo with different glasses. Maybe people didn't recognize him. The nazis got into the house under watch, so they set up Walt could do it as well.

They never show the aftermath of the trust fund. Maybe they never actually do and call walt's bluff. Maybe they do it, and skyler and walt jr do refuse it. Maybe the DEA says, fuck that, give me that trust fund. Who knows.

As for the trunk checking. Maybe. in zero dark thirty, then let those 2 dudes on the base without checking their bodies, so what are some nazis gonna do? heh. I see your point though.

I guess the weirdest set up is parking the car in the right exact spot and everybody being in the room at the same time.

I don't get the safe stuff everybody is on. Everything was heading down this road, and they finally got there.

The way the final scene played out seemed way too easy for Walt but I guess the show has always been like that when it comes to Walt dispatching his would be murderers.

Wilbur

Banned
Walt being able to just stroll about the town

Looking pretty different to how he did before, enough hair on his head and face to hide it, as well as different glasses and clothing style. Not entirely realistic I guess... but certainly not implausible.

including getting in and out of Skyler's house after the DEA already knew to watch it - was pretty ridiculous, even with the whole "spreading the DEA thin" handwaving

She said five minutes, he was pretty clearly there before that so obviously knew the DEA wasn't watching it at that point as he'd only just orchestrated the 'spreading thin'

and the idea that Skyler and Flynn wouldn't be suspicious getting a trust fund of MILLIONS from Gretchen and Elliot is just not something at all logical or believable for Walt to think, at that point.

I don't think its completely out of the question they'd accept it nor do I think its out of the question they'd reject it. What's important is that Walt believes they'd accept it, and I see no reason for him not to do so. Money from a legitimate business, it could be explained away as stocks Walt always kept, his legacy in the business and so on and so forth. Again, not entirely out of the realm of plausibility (certainly not so in a show written like BB)

And why wouldn't the Nazis check his freakin' trunk for weapons, or a bomb, or something, before letting him in the compound?

Why would they have any need to? They frisk him, they take him into the club house, they're about to shoot him. Where was the point he was ever going to get access to the trunk of his car?

Walt saying I won was less on the nose? What? It wasn't even about Walt realising. It was about him owning up to it.

I guess the weirdest set up is parking the car in the right exact spot and everybody being in the room at the same time.

Well they did explain it when the Nazi guy riding with him was like park over there and then Walt parked where he wanted.

On a side note: I also I think Todd looking out the window can be explained because he had no idea what was going on. State of shock + getting killed by automated machine gun = dumbfounded for a few seconds.

jtb

Banned
ugh Zero Dark Thirty... what a terrible movie, but I was definitely thinking the same thing with the car.

jtb

Banned
No fucking way, Hank finding out as the ending? God fucking no. It would kill people.

Same with people that say it should have ended at the end of Season 4. Walt saying I won? Us seeing the Lily of the Valley? We didn't see any Walt downfall there, or Gliding Over All.

This one, he may have 'won', but he suffered terrible consequences to get there. He suffered next to nothing comparably in those two episodes.

I'm just saying, Gliding Over All would've been a much more satisfying open-ended ending than Granite State would have been. It's not like 5.2 played out in a particularly unexpected way, everything basically went according to plan. Which I have no complaints about, but I think you could end the show after Hank finds out and at that point, you know it's over. That would be fine by me.

edit: oops dp

IceCold

It should also be mentioned that the Nazi knew how sick was. They most probably thought he was too sick to do anything and they didn't see him as a threat anymore. About the car being parked perfectly, stuff like this isn't new to BB. The train heist and the magnet thing comes to mind. Walt has always been a lucky mofo.

I'm just saying, Gliding Over All would've been a much more satisfying open-ended ending than Granite State would have been. It's not like 5.2 played out in a particularly unexpected way, everything basically went according to plan. Which I have no complaints about, but I think you could end the show after Hank finds out and at that point, you know it's over. That would be fine by me.

edit: oops dp

Ozymandias could have been a finale too. Works perfectly with the prequel to Malcolm in the Middle theory.

edit:

Saw this on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/1ngn8x/my_chemistry_teacher_hasnt_yet_seen_the_breaking/

lol

Really enjoyed the finale and the show overall.

Not sure why Walt would tell Lydia he gave her the ricin though, gives her a chance to go to the doctor and recover...

Todd looking out of the window and just going, "Mr. White...." before realizing what's going on and not showing concern for his uncle and crew goes incredibly together with his character throughout the series. Cold, apathetic, dumb, gullible, naive.

Top Bottom