• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

As someone who just recently saw Pine Barrens, argh.

(This is a Sopranos spoiler)
Melfi never telling Tony about the rape
was incredible in a not-giving-the-audience-what-they-want way, but the characters should be a bit worried about what happened in Pine Barrens.

Pine Barrens is a fantastic episode.

I think Granite state is exactly what you were looking for.

It was alright. Walt paying a man $10,000 just to play cards for an hour was suitably pathetic, as was watching him pathetically try to get Jr. to take the money.

I just wish more shows would have the courage to expand beyond the kinds of storytelling we're used to seeing. The Prisoner is a 40 year old show, yet I've never seen another show come close in terms of really tackling big themes in a big way while still being lighthearted and enjoyable to watch, in a moment-to-moment sense.

It was alright. Walt paying a man $10,000 just to play cards for an hour was suitably pathetic, as was watching him pathetically try to get Jr. to take the money.

I just wish more shows would have the courage to expand beyond the kinds of storytelling we're used to seeing. The Prisoner is a 40 year old show, yet I've never seen another show come close in terms of really tackling big themes in a big way while still being lighthearted and enjoyable to watch, in a moment-to-moment sense.

Oh my god will you watch The Sopranos already.

Pine Barrens is a fantastic episode.

It is. It's always great when single episodes get overhyped as totally amazing ones, and then I'm not disappointed when I finally get to them. Whitecaps was also a name I kept hearing before I started the show, and that was great as well.

It's interesting that so much of Breaking Bad's legacy should be leveraged on the final hour of the show. I imagine that in time, perspective will win out and, like the camera panning upwards at the end of the show, we'll be able to see the story of Breaking Bad in a larger context in the coming months, rather than it all coming down to that final 55 minutes of story.

I personally loved the ending, it was a very Walter White ending, so to speak. He was almost oblivious to the scorched earth all around him, motivated by fulfilling his legacy and revenge, also oblivious to the fact that, on his 52nd birthday, he was really alive and really, really enjoying himself. Introspection wasn't something he had time for today. He got the money to his son, said goodbye to his family, avenged Hank and set Jesse free from his stranglehold and died in the arms of his one true love. That sure as hell beats veggie bacon.

Lamel

Banned
s603T.jpg

Looks similar to how Walt died.

Similar placement of mask as well.

Speevy

Banned
People call the finale predictable, but I think it's amazing that they pulled off:

1) Having him admit to being an irredeemable monster
2) Showing off his wife living in a comparatively shit house penniless, with Marie the same.
3) Having his last moment of happiness looking at a metallic object with pride.

Yet they still tied up the story. They took every murder, every hateful stare, every brooding moment and broke it down into one major theme: Walt finally realized that the only choice he ever regretted was the one to live so miserably in the first place.

He was sad to see Hank go, and thought his wife and children deserved more. He may have even loved them and felt sorry for Jesse.

When facing death, many stories tell us how noble people can be or how desperate they are. I can't think another one that has showed us how selfish one can be, especially over the course of a year.

Breaking Bad's finale, nonsensical or not, was on point in terms of ending Walt's journey.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It's interesting that so much of Breaking Bad's legacy should be leveraged on the final hour of the show. I imagine that in time, perspective will win out and, like the camera panning upwards at the end of the show, we'll be able to see the story of Breaking Bad in a larger context in the coming months, rather than it all coming down to that final 55 minutes of story.

I personally loved the ending, it was a very Walter White ending, so to speak. He was almost oblivious to the scorched earth all around him, motivated by fulfilling his legacy and revenge, also oblivious to the fact that, on his 52nd birthday, he was really alive and really, really enjoying himself. Introspection wasn't something he had time for today. He got the money to his son, said goodbye to his family, avenged Hank and set Jesse free from his stranglehold and died in the arms of his one true love. That sure as hell beats veggie bacon.

I think just the opposite, Walt thought of this as one last play I think. This time he was aware of his motivations though and he was more at ease and more calm with it. He enjoyed himself. One last adventure by baby blue.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I think some people are just pissed that Walt was actually able to admit his mistakes in the last episode. They wanted him to die as arrogant and prideful as ever, but once he made some rather noble changes to his character, it pissed them off.

I personally think that is ridiculous. Everyone has been waiting for Walt to realize and try to fix his actions.

And also realize, people really aren't turning on the show, but people with strong criticism tend to come out of the bushes when a show ends. Keep in mind that the consensus feeling for this show is excellent.

Yeah, but he did all this arrogant an prideful stuff, he murdered indiscriminately, was responsible for a meth plague, was an evil human being, etc.

I think if the show ended in his downfall, with all his plans going awry it could have worked. I don't think Vince and Co. are incapable of writing a dark ending. Certainly, this is the "safe" ending, and probably the smartest choice. Why alienate the fan base by trying to be too clever or controversial?

In the end, Walt won. His enemies vanquished (Jesus... Mr. White -*gak*), loose ends tied up (HUELL!! (j/k)), family provided for (breakfast for life), Jesse alive (bitch!), Walt dies a free man (cancer would have got him sooner than later anyway).

The only "problem" is that this ending doesn't really provide for much discussion or interpretation, or "looking back" trying to piece together the clues. Once again, that's not a bad thing. It's just the show is "over" and it all ended kinda neatly.

People call the finale predictable, but I think it's amazing that they pulled off:

1) Having him admit to being an irredeemable monster
2) Showing off his wife living in a comparatively shit house penniless, with Marie the same.
3) Having his last moment of happiness looking at a metallic object with pride.

Yet they still tied up the story. They took every murder, every hateful stare, every brooding moment and broke it down into one major theme: Walt finally realized that the only choice he ever regretted was the one to live so miserably in the first place.

He was sad to see Hank go, and thought his wife and children deserved more. He may have even loved them and felt sorry for Jesse.

When facing death, many stories tell us how noble people can be or how desperate they are. I can't think another one that has showed us how selfish one can be, especially over the course of a year.

Breaking Bad's finale, nonsensical or not, was on point in terms of ending Walt's journey.

I agree; especially how the finale deconstructs his true nature amidst the wreckage that his actions have caused. The money and his obsession that his children should have it. Let's be real here, nothing good will come out of Gretchen & Elliot donating the money to Walt's kids. Skyler, perfectly attuned as she is to Walt's devious nature, will see straight through it. Flynn, much like Jesse, would probably recognise what that amount of money represents, and how his father's quest for it ruined his entire family. That money is forever tainted, no matter how Walt tries to hide it.

Not to mention, Sklyer's "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. Would she really have the gumption to use it in such a nefarious manner? Would she selfishly hold out on a deal before revealing the location of her sister's dead husband? No, I don't think so. But, more importantly, that's not what Walt thinks. Another success for Walt.

What was brilliant was that, aside from his one honest moment with Skyler, he deluded himself to the very end. The ending reminded that Breaking Bad started its life as a black comedy and ended it as one as well. I thought it was hilarious, particularly the contrast between his 50th birthday and his 52nd.

Yeah, but he did all this arrogant an prideful stuff, he murdered indiscriminately, was responsible for a meth plague, was an evil human being, etc.

I think if the show ended in his downfall, with all his plans going awry it could have worked. I don't think Vince and Co. are incapable of writing a dark ending. Certainly, this is the "safe" ending, and probably the smartest choice. Why alienate the fan base by trying to be too clever or controversial?

In the end, Walt won. His enemies vanquished (Jesus... Mr. White -*gak*), loose ends tied up (HUELL!! (j/k)), family provided for (breakfast for life), Jesse alive (bitch!), Walt dies a free man (cancer would have got him sooner than later anyway).

The only "problem" is that this ending doesn't really provide for much discussion or interpretation, or "looking back" trying to piece together the clues. Once again, that's not a bad thing. It's just the show is "over" and it all ended kinda neatly.

It ended neatly, but I don't agree that it doesn't provide much room for discussion or debate. For a start the idea that Walt "won" barely scratches the surface of what actually happened in the finale. It's a darker ending than people realise because the only true victory took place in Walt's head. Which, in its own way, is typical of the show. I think the cause and effect of his actions in the finale leave room for multiple interpretations of where the living characters may or may not end up. To elaborate on my point in my previous post on Sklyer. She has two options; withhold the burial site of Hank and Gomez and get a deal and alienate her sister for life, or do the right thing and give it up and go to jail, but repair her relationship with Marie. That's a pretty sad conclusion for her character either way.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja-like skills that get him into Skylar's watched house and allow him to poison the exact packet of Stevia.

she's predicitable and sits at the exact same table always. go in couple mins early, remove all stevia bar one (I'm going to need more stevia!) hooray. Ninja.

I loved the ep. had to watch it last night due to non caught up friends visiting. that was a rough day at work dodging talk and so forth.

Partition

Banned
Just finished the entire series in about a week and a half.

I really enjoyed it but couldn't shake the feeling it didn't live up to the massive hype surrounding it. I have to say though, the finale was done very well... minus the Gretchen/Elliot scene; it's rare that a series finale actually is done this well.

I feel like the show as it is just lacked depth. There was one consistent storyline and that was pretty much it, whatever subplots that were mostly created by Jessie were always ended shortly by Walt. Usually when a series of such magnitude comes to an end you get the urge to go watch previous episodes again because you feel like you missed something or want to refresh your memory a bit. With Breaking Bad, everything felt so straightforward that I don't think I will ever give it another view. There were no remaining questions that needed answered and nothing left for interpretation, which is the most disappointing part of the series. The acting and story for what it was, was phenomenal though.

In my opinion, Mad Men and especially Game of Thrones, still hold the crown for the post-Sopranos title. Breaking Bad is an amazing story, but a rather boring universe. I can't help but feel like they could of extended it at least another season longer.

Frost_Ace

The straightforward-ness is (for me) one of the reasons why I hold the series in such high regard, it makes it much more rewatchable like a good movie.

Daffy Duck

Listening to Baby Blue really is quite emotional.

I loved everything about the finale. It was an amazing end to an amazing show. IT didn't need a WTF ending, how it ended was the best it could have been for me.

I loved everything about the finale. It was an amazing end to an amazing show. IT didn't need a WTF ending, how it ended was the best it could have been for me.

Because "So predictable that people guessed the exact course of events a year ago" and "Complete David Lynch-esque gibberish" are the only two notches on the scale.

Oh, Dexter, you'll always end at season 4 for me. It's funny how much of an amazing, iconic series finale that would have been in hindsight. Instead its legacy is an indictment on how the Amercian TV system can destroy serialised TV shows if they're not given the proper reverence they deserve.

I've just started watching Six Feet Under. Does Michael C. Hall have something written in his contract that demands his character must speak to imaginary dead ghost characters in every show hes does? Anyway, it's pretty good so far.

IceCold

Because "So predictable that people guessed the exact course of events a year ago" and "Complete David Lynch-esque gibberish" are the only two notches on the scale.

What did people predict a year ago that was actually correct? That Walt dies? That the m60 gets used on the Nazis?

Heard a theory about the ending that makes perfect sense. Walt freezes to death in that car he tries to steal at the start of the episode. He never finds the keys to the car in the visor, and never does any of the things that happen in the episode. As he's freezing and dying in the car, he just dreams everything that happens next. That's why so many unrealistic things happen and why everything wraps up so perfectly. It was all a dream.

Aiii

So not worth it
Heard a theory about the ending that makes perfect sense. Walt freezes to death in that car he tries to steal at the start of the episode. He never finds the keys to the car in the visor, and never does any of the things that happen in the episode. As he's freezing and dying in the car, he just dreams everything that happens next. That's why so many unrealistic things happen and why everything wraps up so perfectly. It was all a dream.

So Jesse is still imprisoned by Nazi's to do slave labor? Lydia remains a drug kingpin. Skyler gets jailed for being an accomplice, Holly is orphaned and Walt Jr. spends the rest of his life miserable and handicapped and Hank's body is never found to give Marie closure?

Great ending? Not for me.

Why is it so hard for people to accept an ending that isn't cutting to black or turning into a lumberjack?

I liked the ending, and I'm glad they tied all the loose ends up. It was satisfying. But the Walt dreaming everything as he was dying ending would have been awesome.

Moff

well that would at least explain why jesse is so happy although his girlfriend is dead and he is a broke, wanted criminial and much worse off than at the start of the season where he was already super depressed.

mxgt

Banned
well that would at least explain why jesse is so happy although his girlfriend is dead and he is a broke, wanted criminial and much worse off than at the start of the season where he was already super depressed.

I really don't think he's happy in that final scene, it's more the relief of knowing he's free from the nazis and walt

That would be fucking brutal. It would take serious, serious balls to commit to that ending, and, in the end, Vince Gilligan probably loves Walter White too much to do that to him. It's a great theory though, and it could have been a great ending, but in another show. I could see myself enjoying that ending, but it's the kind of twist that the Breaking Bad universe wouldn't support. If it had been a much darker show, that ending would have been brilliant.

Zeppu

List of things I find completely plausible:
1. Dissolving bodies in relatively common acids
2. Use a shock triggered explosion to blow up a room, causing the pressure to eject boards from the windows but not really hurt anyone seriously or trigger more explosions from this shock triggered explosive
3. Build a pretty powerful bomb in a kitchen
4. Survive said bomb to be able to walk out of a room with half a face, straighten your tie, then die
5. Power an electromagnet, with batteries, enough to attract mostly non-metallic computers over a distance of several metres and walls. Also, for some reason, this battery powered magnet causes the truck to flip over. Again, this is with batteries
6. Kill 9 prisoners in 2 minutes because of a 2 line motivational speech.

List of things I find completely implausible:
1. Attaching a plank to a wheel. Attach a gun to said plank.

That's just too much for me. I just fail to believe that.

--

I really enjoyed the finale. I like the closure it provided.

Aiii

So not worth it

Yes, because that's what you'd think about when you just been saved from slave labour after six months of complete despair.

Farmboy

Loved the scenes at Elliott and Gretchen's house. Tense and unpredictable.

The scene between Walt and Skyler is a great way to wrap up their relationship. Still, Skyler being able to trade Hank & Gomie's location for immunity or whatever doesn't quite ring true. I would have preferred it if Walt had asked Jesse to tell the DEA Skyler had no involvement (maybe they'll find the camera footage of Jesse's confession, if Jack hasn't destroyed it).

As for the showdown with the Nazi's and the death of Lydia: yeah, that was a bit too tidy and predictable. Now, obviously it's fitting and deserved... otherwise it would have been this predictable! But I was really hoping for one last twist.

Two ways in which the episode might have played better:

- Meld it with Granite State as a near-two hour final journey. The finale could have used the quiet, understated tone of GS to counterbalance the mayhem.

- Rethink the order of events in the finale. I'd have liked them to move up the Nazi showdown, then do the Grey Matter stuff, end on Walt and Skyler. This would be a nice acknowledgment of the predicability of the former, would move the most surprising and suspenseful sequence to the climax and end on a great character moment. Would need some changes to make logical sense (Walt knew he was either dying or getting arrested at the Nazi compound so obviously he'd normally do that last) as well as keep it suspenseful (part of what makes the Grey Matter scenes work is that neither the M60 or ricin have been used yet), but I'm sure they could have figured it out. And a non-traditional structure where you don't quite go out with a bang, but instead more or less open with it, would be vintage Breaking Bad.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the show as it is just lacked depth. There was one consistent storyline and that was pretty much it, whatever subplots that were mostly created by Jessie were always ended shortly by Walt.
Not to mention that the show relied on the pattern of 'Jesse gets upset and irrational, Walt has to clean up the damage he causes' far too much.

T.O.P

Banned
I really don't think he's happy in that final scene, it's more the relief of knowing he's free from the nazis and walt

tumblr_mtzxfkEEj31s6c97mo1_250.gif
tumblr_mtzxfkEEj31s6c97mo2_250.gif

tumblr_mtxh3vSWRG1qzi80do2_250.gif
tumblr_mtxh3vSWRG1qzi80do4_250.gif

there's so much shit going on in that scene between the two that is probably impossible to even conceive how a human mind would behave

#crying

I'm gratful they didn't go with the ultra tired, super boring, boring, been done a million times, completely unsatisfying, boring, non-committal cop-out, boring old chestnut of a clichéd "It was all just a dream" trope.

C-Drive

I'm gratful they didn't go with the ultra tired, super boring, boring, been done a million times, completely unsatisfying, boring, non-committal cop-out, boring old chestnut of a clichéd "It was all just a dream" trope.

Yeah, I'm really not getting why so many folks wanted that.

When Walter has the look he has in the last episode, would anyone agree that he had screen presence reminiscent of Clint Eastwood, where he just grabs your full attention without even having to do anything?

Best and worst character I've seen on TV

xenist

That wasn't a "HA I'M FREE!" laugh. That was a "I have lost my mind and have no idea what I'm doing" laugh.

The main criticism this show seems to be getting is that it's not Sopranos or Mad Men :|

I find that to be a compliment.
Mad Men is too self absorbed. While Sopranos is too casual and have story plots that drag and drag and drag + way too many characters. When I mean casual, I mean it's mobsters having average days and boring days.

Number45

When Walter has the look he has in the last episode, would anyone agree that he had screen presence reminiscent of Clint Eastwood, where he just grabs your full attention without even having to do anything?
Not quite, in my opinion. Just thinking about that stare in Gran Torino sends shivers down my spine.

Best and worst character I've seen on TV
Not sure I understand your meaning here.

Stet

Banned
I think the problem with all the theories is that people wanted it to end a certain way and it didn't do what they wanted, so they're reaching to make it fit their own plan.

There's nothing wrong with a predictable ending (not that I think this was entirely predictable), that's just the "everything must have a twist" culture we live in these days interfering with good storytelling.

Number45

Worst as in the way you end up hating him (or I did at least), nothing writing, acting or direction-related
Ah I see. I'm #TeamWalt all the way, I just can't hate that man.

I think the problem with all the theories is that people wanted it to end a certain way and it didn't do what they wanted, so they're reaching to make it fit their own plan.
I get the impression it's because Ozymandias foreshadowed a total calamity - I have to say I was expecting to be devastated come the end after that roller-coaster ride.

Alpende

So Jesse is still imprisoned by Nazi's to do slave labor? Lydia remains a drug kingpin. Skyler gets jailed for being an accomplice, Holly is orphaned and Walt Jr. spends the rest of his life miserable and handicapped and Hank's body is never found to give Marie closure?

Great ending? Not for me.

To be fair, he's not saying it's a great ending. He says it's an ending that makes sense. I like the theory though.

Top Bottom