• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Number45

Also, all of the Sopranos name-dropping in here makes me utterly pissed that it's not on Netflix. Or Mad Men.

Might as well cancel my sub now BB is over.

Game of Thrones is such a disappointment compared to the books that I can't even see how people could put it over Breaking Bad besides the shock value. In the end, Sopranos had the better acting and writing, The Wire was more devastating to watch, and Breaking Bad was the most compelling.

Interfectum

I think the problem with all the theories is that people wanted it to end a certain way and it didn't do what they wanted, so they're reaching to make it fit their own plan.

There's nothing wrong with a predictable ending (not that I think this was entirely predictable), that's just the "everything must have a twist" culture we live in these days interfering with good storytelling.

Yup.

I'm glad it didn't go out with some stupid twist or some dumb last 5 minute game changer. Walt cleaned up the mess he created the best he could and he died. Seems like the perfect way to end the show.

Ah I see. I'm #TeamWalt all the way, I just can't hate that man.

It was weird for me. I was TeamWalt all the way, even through Brock's poisoning, but when he killed Mike and had the witnesses killed I hated him and was desperate for Hank to catch him. Then Hank died, and I needed justice to be done, but I was straight back on his side when he started becoming frail, lived alone in that hut, hated by his family, and saw Elliott and Gretchen (who had always annoyed me for some reason) down-playing his (supposed) role in Grey Matter.

Then when he started going after Jack and his crew, I was firmly back on the #TeamWalt train. Especially because I hoped that it'd free up Jesse to finally kill that utter twat Todd.

He was always on that fine line of being a good man doing terrible things for good reasons, but gradually those reasons became less and less acceptable, and his actions more and more unforgivable, and you just have to admit that he's become a bad man doing terrible things for a bad reason

Zeppu

Maybe the whole series is a dream which pops into Walt's head when Hank tells him that making meth is easy money but it doesn't last long.

Maybe he thinks. "Hmm, if I had a terminal disease I'd probably go for it. Here is how it'd pan out."

Just as valid as Walt dying in the car in the snow and I have exactly as much proof for my theory.

Norm seems to believe that the unbelievable, contrived plotting in the final episode indicates it was the fantasy of Walt as he slowly died in New Hampshire.

As though the show was never unbelievable or contrived in the other 61 episodes.

Moff

I really don't think he's happy in that final scene, it's more the relief of knowing he's free from the nazis and walt

I dont know, I think the show is trying to show the audience that jesse got a happy ending, when in reality its not at all. either way his last shot does not reflect his ending at all.
he is much much worse off than the start of the season, and there he basically just wanted to die.

Olly Moss drew some Walts:

HcVqhhl.png

Interfectum

I dont know, I think the show is trying to show the audience that jesse got a happy ending, when in reality its not at all. either way his last shot does not reflect his ending at all.
he is much much worse off than the start of the season, and there he basically just wanted to die.

I didn't get that at all. He seemed borderline crazy to me in that last scene.

Sopranos was a great show but it was way to inconsistent. Seasons 1-3 were all top notch but the rest meh not so much. Some good episodes here and there but not nearly to the quality of the first three season. Breaking Bad just seemed to get better every season and to me if a far better series.

y2dvd

Am I hearing this correctly? The general consensus when people reflect back on this show is that it's now terrible?

IceCold

Am I hearing this correctly? The general consensus when people reflect back on this show is that it's now terrible?

The show is popular now so our had to be terrible.

I think that one of the problems is that people discuss too much the show after an episode is aired. If you spend hours discussing each episode online or reading the thousands of theories out there then you will end up getting disappointing because the finale will either be something you've predicted or something entirely different. You have guys on reddit who inspect every second of every episode to try and predict shit. It's ridiculous.

Number45

It was weird for me. I was TeamWalt all the way, even through Brock's poisoning, but when he killed Mike and had the witnesses killed I hated him and was desperate for Hank to catch him. Then Hank died, and I needed justice to be done, but I was straight back on his side when he started becoming frail, lived alone in that hut, hated by his family, and saw Elliott and Gretchen (who had always annoyed me for some reason) down-playing his (supposed) role in Grey Matter.
Completely with you on Mike actually. To be honest, by the time Hank was killed I was ready for him to die - he didn't care who he fucked over to get at Walt.

Mad Men is on Netflix, or at least it was the last time I checked.
UK. :(

Yeah, he's gone. Despite Walt going all out to give him some release, it's going to take forever for him to recover, if he ever does.

Jesse was pretty obviously happy as he was driving away.

The point is not that he got a "happy ending", though, it's that, whatever else happens to him, he finally tore himself away from Mr. White and acted on his own terms. He's happy because he's free, in more than one sense.

Perhaps there is some kind of happy ending out there for him. Probably not. But we don't need to see it, for the entire show was building up to him finally leaving Mr. White and making his own destiny.

Ashok

Banned
The general consensus seems to be that Breaking Bad is a masterpiece. There are really only a few trolls around here. I guess the threads for whatever boring shows they watch are full of tumbleweed, so they decided to move over here, heh.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After the finale I felt like starting over again... Just rewatched the first five episodes. This show was brilliant from the very start. For one, it still has the best pilot I've seen, even beating The Shield. But the entire first season is filled with great moments. Can't stop watching eps. I have Tuco coming up, so I'm going to keep doing this for a while.

"So right now, what I need is for you to climb down out of my ass. Can you do that? Will you do that for me, honey?"

I feel kinda dumb asking this question, but aren't there cop lights flashing in the intro (while Walt is trying to steal the car)?

How does he get away?

JustinBB7

"So right now, what I need is for you to climb down out of my ass. Can you do that? Will you do that for me, honey?"

Love that scene.

The first season is still very down to earth I feel, everything (besides a few things of course) feels pretty.. normal. It has a nice feel to it. Can't really explain it. Specially now after 5 seasons, looking back at the first one is really funny.

I have a random question.... I remember in Season 1, ep 1, at the very beginning Walt is talking into a camera... he says his name and says things like "skyler you were always the love of my life... walt jr., you may hear some things about me but just know that whatever you hear about me I always had you in mind"

When did he record that exactly and for what reason?

It seems like a good video for his family to discover later on, maybe on flynn's 18th bday

JustinBB7

I have a random question.... I remember in Season 1, ep 1, at the very beginning Walt is talking into a camera... he says his name and says things like "skyler you were always the love of my life... walt jr., you may hear some things about me but just know that whatever you hear about me I always had you in mind"

When did he record that exactly and for what reason?

It seems like a good video for his family to discover later on, maybe on flynn's 18th bday

It's a flashback, you see it actually happening later in the episode. It's when he thinks he will get caught by the police with the RV, but it's just the firemen coming to take down the fire so he made it for nothing. Then he destroys the tape I think.

Just finished the entire series in about a week and a half.

I really enjoyed it but couldn't shake the feeling it didn't live up to the massive hype surrounding it. I have to say though, the finale was done very well... minus the Gretchen/Elliot scene; it's rare that a series finale actually is done this well.

I feel like the show as it is just lacked depth. There was one consistent storyline and that was pretty much it, whatever subplots that were mostly created by Jessie were always ended shortly by Walt. Usually when a series of such magnitude comes to an end you get the urge to go watch previous episodes again because you feel like you missed something or want to refresh your memory a bit. With Breaking Bad, everything felt so straightforward that I don't think I will ever give it another view. There were no remaining questions that needed answered and nothing left for interpretation, which is the most disappointing part of the series. The acting and story for what it was, was phenomenal though.

In my opinion, Mad Men and especially Game of Thrones, still hold the crown for the post-Sopranos title. Breaking Bad is an amazing story, but a rather boring universe. I can't help but feel like they could of extended it at least another season longer.

I feel like you're all over the map. You praised the story twice as being phenomenal and amazing and yet say it's straight forward and lacks depth. You also praise the acting yet then say it's a boring universe. And then at the end you feel like it could have been extended another season.

Just finished the entire series in about a week and a half.

I really enjoyed it but couldn't shake the feeling it didn't live up to the massive hype surrounding it. I have to say though, the finale was done very well... minus the Gretchen/Elliot scene; it's rare that a series finale actually is done this well.

I feel like the show as it is just lacked depth. There was one consistent storyline and that was pretty much it, whatever subplots that were mostly created by Jessie were always ended shortly by Walt. Usually when a series of such magnitude comes to an end you get the urge to go watch previous episodes again because you feel like you missed something or want to refresh your memory a bit. With Breaking Bad, everything felt so straightforward that I don't think I will ever give it another view. There were no remaining questions that needed answered and nothing left for interpretation, which is the most disappointing part of the series. The acting and story for what it was, was phenomenal though.

In my opinion, Mad Men and especially Game of Thrones, still hold the crown for the post-Sopranos title. Breaking Bad is an amazing story, but a rather boring universe. I can't help but feel like they could of extended it at least another season longer.

When I read Game of Throne praise I feel like I'm watching a completely different show than everybody else.

thekenta

Sopranos was a great show but it was way to inconsistent. Seasons 1-3 were all top notch but the rest meh not so much. Some good episodes here and there but not nearly to the quality of the first three season. Breaking Bad just seemed to get better every season and to me if a far better series.

Quite the contrary in my opinion.
When The Sopranos changed its directions into the surreal and existential I enjoyed the show way more.
Season 5 and 6B were my favorites. The Kevin Finnerty episodes in particular were some of the best stuff I've ever seen on TV.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Maybe the whole season was the hallucination of a Brock dying of ricin poisoning. If you think about it, it makes about as much sense as the dream theory.

Protein

Banned
I got my significant other into Breaking Bad and she wants to watch the show all night by herself. Another one bites the dust.

Anyone know where I can get Breaking Bad merchandise? Besides T-Shirts.

It's both, I believe. There's no way he couldn't be emotionally and mentally shattered from Walt's impact on his life over the past two years, but he's also free, which has to be a little euphoric.

I'm sure there will be tons of fanfiction about him picking up Brock and starting a new life as professional lacquered box makers.

Top Bottom