• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

tumblr_mtx38b45nV1ssmbizo1_1280.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Guess I got what I deserved
Kept you waiting there too long, my love
All that time without a word
Didn't know you'd think that I'd forget or I'd regret
The special love I had for you, my baby blue

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Is it possible to recover from Ricin poisoning if it's caught at that point though? I would have played it safe and not told her she was poisoned.

From UpToDate.. (an online resource used by physicians)

Ingestion of ricin can lead to symptoms of vomiting, bloody diarrhea and dehydration within six hours. In severe cases, multi-organ failure can occur.

There is no proven antidote; supportive care and possible gastric lavage and activated charcoal can be considered. Decontamination procedures should be undertaken for skin or clothing contamination since ricin can also cause burns.

Given the time frame, I doubt it was early enough for lavage or decontamination to do anything at all. The amount given to her was likely severe. She's a goner.

xbhaskarx

1. Breaking Bad
2. The Sopranos
3. Deadwood
4. Mad Men

The Wire doesn't even make the list because the decline was so precipitous...

I did quite well with my predictions:
I just needed Todd to kill Marie and for Jesse to pull the trigger there at the end...

It was merely "good" IMO.
I was hoping for something a bit more morbid. I guess I didn't like the fact that Walt basically ends the show on top. Yes, he died, but he was going to die anyways and instead of dying slowly and horribly at the hands of Cancer, he went out on his own terms. He also secures his family's future, avenges his brother in law's death, saves Jessie, redeems himself in the eyes of Skylar and basically goes down like a motherfucking boss, securing his legacy in the eyes of the public. I guess it all tied up a little too nicely for my liking, and was a bit too pulpy in the process, but then again, I suppose that's consistent with the overall tone of the show. I know that it doesn't always end up bad for the villain, but history has been pretty consistent with the end game for drug kingpins not being pretty. I should have seen this ending coming considering how protective of Breaking Bad's characters the filmmakers have been, but I was hoping for a little more balls for the ending, and a final act that wasn't so tidy and predictable. Regardless, the show as a whole is definitely top 10 of all time.

Co sign this whole post. Basically the post I wanted to make, but didn't feel like exerting the effort to do so lol.

The mechanic wasn't a slam dunk, but the ambiguous ending was a perfect way to wrap up the show.

It was daring in a way that this finale wasn't. This was safe. Totally safe.

As I said sudden black being an ambiguous ending is not a perfect ending. Breaking Bad fans wanted a complete closure and they got it . No other way around it. Its Better to be safe than sorry (here's looking at you LOST)

jacobs34

I really liked the finale, but let's be clear, the show's climax was Ozymandias, everything else is just resolution which is important to the show. Ozymandias may be the greatest single episode of a show in television history. There was just no topping it. Not to take anything away from the final two episodes, but they kind of felt like the cherry on top of a sundae.

Mononoke

Banned
It was merely "good" IMO.
I was hoping for something a bit more morbid. I guess I didn't like the fact that Walt basically ends the show on top. Yes, he died, but he was going to die anyways and instead of dying slowly and horribly at the hands of Cancer, he went out on his own terms. He also secures his family's future, avenges his brother in law's death, saves Jessie, redeems himself in the eyes of Skylar and basically goes down like a motherfucking boss, securing his legacy in the eyes of the public. I guess it all tied up a little too nicely for my liking, and was a bit too pulpy in the process, but then again, I suppose that's consistent with the overall tone of the show. I know that it doesn't always end up bad for the villain, but history has been pretty consistent with the end game for drug kingpins not being pretty. I should have seen this ending coming considering how protective of Breaking Bad's characters the filmmakers have been, but I was hoping for a little more balls for the ending, and a final act that wasn't so tidy and predictable. Regardless, the show as a whole is definitely top 10 of all time.

Good points. I personally loved the finale, but I think these are valid criticisms if it wasn't your thing. In the end Walt:

I. Secured money for his family (thus making it all for something)

II. Got to take revenge on everyone, and go out feeling good.

II. Accepting who he was, and why he actually enjoyed it.

IV. Dying with the satisfaction of knowing his life meant something, and dying doing what he did.

V. Got to say goodbye to Skyler, Holly (and pretty much get to see his family one last time).

In that context, the ending was actually pretty happy. To those expecting a really dark ending for Walt, where he actually paid the price (that would be the Granite State ending) - then I could see why you would not love this finale (and some might not like it). For a show that committed to making the protagonist REALLY suffer the consequences, Breaking Bad decided to allow the protagonist to win, but only because he accepted he was a piece of shit and ran with it.

THIS is how you do a TV show gentlemen. Top quality from beginning to end; every new season being better than the last and not dropping in quality near the end like... you know which shows. All that without the need to shoehorn T&A to attract "adults".

Best show ever made.

ZeroRay

I predict a less than A- for the AV Club...and I'd have to agree with them if I'm being honest with myself. They played it safe but a little too much so, imo. I just wish more of it came down to more than the neo-Nazis not caring to check the trunk, honestly. But that's nitpicking a bit more than I should be, this isn't some super tight show, it's been a great ride this season. Thanks for the series, Vince and co.

All the criminals on this show are fucking idiots though. If this was the Sopranos or The Wire, Walt would've gotten capped the moment he drove into the compound.

I'd buy the box set but I've stopped buying things like that. I have no room for this stuff. I'm moving out soon too and have been downsizing and selling a lot of collectors editions for movies and games. Just too much stuff. If I had a bigger house I'd buy it though. :(

reKon

Banned
Kvikmyndahús;84071733 said:
Say what you will about Todd, but I find his mild mannerism, contrasted with his true psychological nature is very fascinating. Just like Omar who never swears in The Wire.

he was very interesting, as a character. Agreed, just like Omar

As I said sudden black being an ambiguous ending is not a perfect ending. Breaking Bad fans wanted a complete closure and they got it . No other way around it. Its Better to be safe than sorry (here's looking at you LOST)

I didn't want closure, actually. Or, at least, I would have been perfectly happy without it.

But I'm definitely not a typical fan. And I'm not saying that to be arrogant or condescending or anything.

HoJu

Solid finale to a fantastic season. Everything you expected happened, but at least it was done extremely well. Sure, you had to be willing to suspend your belief for some moments, but shit like that happened throughout the series.

The highlight of the episode was when Walt walked down the halls of Gretchen and Elliot's mansion- almost like a ghost- observing and taking in the life that should have been his.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Good points. I personally loved the finale, but I think these are valid criticisms if it wasn't your thing. In the end Walt:

IV. Dying with the satisfaction of knowing his life meant something, and dying doing what he did.

In that context, the ending was actually pretty happy. To those expecting a really dark ending for Walt, where he actually paid the price (that would be the Granite State ending) - then I could see why you would not love this finale (and some might not like it). For a show that committed to making the protagonist REALLY suffer the consequences, Breaking Bad decided to allow the protagonist to win, but only because he accepted he was a piece of shit and ran with it.

I still can't imagine Walt Jr. using the money even when he gets it. He's going to be so emotionally fucked up by the entire thing.

In the end Walt got to:

-watch Gretchen & Eliot stack his millions
-See Holly one last time
-Ensure Flynn and the family will be well off financially.
-Give closure to the family for Hank
-End things on the best possible terms with Skyler
-Defeat Lydia
-Shoot Jack in the face
-Free Jesee
-Share one last moment with Jesse
-Die on his Throne

He definitely salvaged one last victory out of the wreckage.

^

I didn't want closure, actually. Or, at least, I would have been perfectly happy without it.

But I'm definitely not a typical fan. And I'm not saying that to be arrogant or condescending or anything.

People wanted to see closure because the show has always been about closure. About consequences and finality. If you mix the chemicals together in a certain way, anybody will be able to tell you what you'll get 100% of the time.

rekameohs

Banned
I really liked the finale, but let's be clear, the show's climax was Ozymandias, everything else is just resolution which is important to the show. Ozymandias may be the greatest single episode of a show in television history. There was just no topping it. Not to take anything away from the final two episodes, but they kind of felt like a cherry on top of sundae.
Of course. I think that's exactly what they were going for.

Mononoke

Banned
I still can't imagine Walt Jr. using the money even when he gets it. He's going to be so emotionally fucked up by the entire thing.

Yeah, I mean..we have no idea if Walt Jr. would ever accept it. But that's kind of irrelevant. Because to WALT - he believes it's secure. And so before he dies, hes goes out with the belief that it was all for something.

But I agree, I wonder if he would actually use it. It depends if he really believes the story Gretchen and Elliot sell him.

Yep, him accepting that allowed me to be ok that he went out like that. He knows he is a monster and has destroyed so many lives, but he is ok with it.

gnrmjd

I was really disappointed with the use of the Ricin. I mean the scene was awesome but this thing has been a Chekhov's gun since the first couple episodes. To see it paid off on Lydia...who was honestly not that important a character was pretty disappointing to me. (I also would have liked more payoff for Todd/Lydia but whatever.)

Honestly the ends of Todd and Jack were perfect but similarly I kind of wish there were more episodes or something because with more buildup it would have been even better. Jack only came to prominence and became the main villain in the third to last episode. I guess it works as a coda to Walt's real journey which ended at Gus. But I'm still disappointed all that buildup and the ricin was just for Lydia - maybe if she had been introduced earlier as well or something...idk

Top Bottom