• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

gnrmjd

Why are people saying Walt got everything he wanted? Outside of his own ego, the most important thing to him is his family - which he lost. He lost his wife's love long ago, his son's last words to him were for him to die, and his baby daughter will grow up only knowing Heisenberg.

He was able to leave money behind for his family and make things as right as possible, but he lost his family in the process.

This and Grante State were more of a denouement. Ozymandias was the blockbuster.
He still has Skyler. She still loves him. And he got a lot of closure. Plus he cares more that his kids have the money than that they love him. After all what does a man do? A man provides.

Mononoke

Banned
I. Given that he'd been tailing her, it made sense as it was the only way to kill her discreetly. She probably sat at the same table and ordered the same thing. If he made sure there was only one pack of Stevia in the tray, he'd get her for sure.

II. I thought Jack would just kill him in the car, outside the gate. Why even take a chance. That whole last scene was far-fetched, but it got the job done. LOL! PEACE.

I mean, they weren't huge things that bothered. Me just the two things that stood out to me, where I felt I had to give the writing a little wiggle room. But Breaking Bad has always been a really pulpy/stylized show. And while the show has sold us on this realism feeling throughout the show, the pulpy/stylized stuff has been there from Season 1.

So I had no issue with.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I might be misremembering but I though AMC is the one that pushed the whole 5A/5B thing when Vince was just going to make a normal season length again. If that's true he would have gained time overall.

The finale was a little disappointing. It went down pretty much like I thought it would. I was hoping for some surprises.
Strong-arming elliot and gretchen was a little surprising. Didn't think we'd see them again.

The first scene bugged me. Why did Walt check the lock to see if the car was unlocked? Why wouldn't he just try to open the door?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
VCv9TxS.gif

Just made this.. cuz.. you were all thinking it too.

edit: guess I forgot to set it to loop.. oh well.

Mononoke

Banned
So to those that generally hated Walt and think he is a scum bag - what did you think of the ending. I'm curious. Were you okay that Walt went out on top (at least in his mind) before dying? Did Walt accepting he's evil, make it this ending more okay? Or did you loathe it, and believe Walt should have paid the consequences more heavily?

I'm wondering that posers like maharg think.

NYR

Why are people saying Walt got everything he wanted?
He got his legacy. Usually, most peoples legacy is their children. He lost his chance at that.

Him in the meth lab at the end wasn't a coincidence. They think it was still him cooking. He has his legacy, and that was all that matter to him. His kids were simply another legacy, that faded. He is Heisenberg, not Walter White. The final song says a lot..."baby blue" - the meth was his kid.

Blader

It's not, necessarily.

It was a perfectly adequate ending, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. I just wish Vince had aimed a bit higher.

But again, "higher" doesn't automatically mean "more ambiguous."

He still has Skyler. She still loves him. And he got a lot of closure. Plus he cares more that his kids have the money than that they love him. After all what does a man do? A man provides.

err, what?

also, I think Walt cares just a tad about whether his family loves him or not. Jr. telling him to just die already was what pushed him into calling the police on him, after all.

Wilbur

Banned
Honestly confuses me the people that are knocking it because it was predictable. It was the only way to end it. If it had taken a wild left turn, Kenny shoots Walt the second he sees the car omg, dat wuld have been betta bcuz i didnt see it cumin lol

come on

please understand

Why is predictability bad? I get it if it makes things boring, but when its a part of each character's unique development I don't see the issue.

Mononoke

Banned
Lydia always talked about her stevia and walt always noticed it

Walt provoked him that he didn't make his end of the deal and he was thus a lesser person than he was. That pissed him off and wanted to show Walt that Jesse was not a partner but a broken man . Someone suffering worse than death

I mean like I said guys, this was more of a - I'm not sure if I liked how they did it. Not trying to say it's impossible, or lazy writing. I agree you could certainly explain both moments (ie. Lydia having a specific routine, and Jack's personality being on display, and Walt knowing how he ticks).

Totally.

Gorillaz

I might be misremembering but I though AMC is the one that pushed the whole 5A/5B thing when Vince was just going to make a normal season length again. If that's true he would have gained time overall.

Vince wanted to end it at 5
AMC wanted to extend it for a few more seasons
Vince wanted closure and basically said lol no
AMC said fine
Vince said he needed 16 episodes to do it
AMC (from what I remember) asked them to do it in less.
Vince said 16 or bust, he and Sony Pictures then (idk if it was a bluff or not) talked about just moving the series over to FX who ORIGINALLY was suppose to have it, and they would finish out the show
AMC broke down, and said 8 now 8 later
Vince went with it.

AMC and Sony/Vince had alot going on behind the scenes last year iirc
Thats the short hand.

Blader

He got his legacy. Usually, most peoples legacy is their children. He lost his chance at that.

Him in the meth lab at the end wasn't a coincidence. They think it was still him cooking. He has his legacy, and that was all that matter to him. His kids were simply another legacy, that faded. He is Heisenberg, not Walter White. The final song says a lot..."baby blue" - the meth was his kid.

Yeah, that's not EVERYTHING. Walt getting everything he wanted would be going out as the legendary Heisenberg with his family still loving him and being none the wiser. Sacrificing the latter just to get to the former is not Walt getting everything he wanted.

It was the best finale and I loved every second. It had none of this ambiguous ending cop out crap and it was completely in tone with the show. I am completely satisfied. GOAT.

So to those that generally hated Walt and think he is a scum bag - what did you think of the ending. I'm curious. Were you okay that Walt went out on top (at least in his mind) before dying? Did Walt accepting he's evil, make it this ending more okay? Or did you loathe it, and believe Walt should have paid the consequences more heavily?

Well I hated him, but I think he payed some pretty heavy consequences. Watching his brother in law executed in front of him. Losing any love he had from his son. Having to sit dying of cancer alone for months in a frozen house and finally death. His children will live there lives hating him and Skyler also views him as a completely different person. Just because he got to die on his own terms does not mean he didn't suffer.

Blader

I mean like I said guys, this was more of a - I'm not sure if I liked how they did it. Not trying to say it's impossible, or lazy writing. I agree you could certainly explain both moments (ie. Lydia having a specific routine, and Jack's personality being on display, and Walt knowing how he ticks).

Totally.

The stevia thing is more than just Lydia having a routine. She namedropped that shit in virtually every one of her scenes for the past year. :lol

gnrmjd

But again, "higher" doesn't automatically mean "more ambiguous."

err, what?

also, I think Walt cares just a tad about whether his family loves him or not. Jr. telling him to just die already was what pushed him into calling the police on him, after all.

He does, but if Junior has the 9 million dollars than Walt is satisfied.

And obviously a lot went unsaid but in their final scene together she definitely seems to still love him. She even lets him see Holly and watches the two of them, almost smiling.

Macattk15

I think the only things that I found kind of sloppy were:

I. Walt being able to get Lydia's sweetner (I mean, okay I buy that he knew her routine. But damn, knowing exactly which Sweetner she goes for - pretty crazy memory). You could argue that it's not far-fetched. But I don't know if I liked how it was done.

II. Uncle Jack NOT BEING CALLED A LIAR - and that being what causes him to give Walt the upper hand. Just seemed kind of goofy. Lol I mean, Walt is going to die. But god forbid he called uncle Jack a liar. He better prove it to Walt before he kills him.

But outside of that, I loved the ending. But those are the only things I personally had an issue with.

EDIT: I still think the Jesse and Walt scene was great, and more than enough. Don't agree with those complaints. I think they did what could be done (anything more, I wouldn't have believed it coming from where the characters were at in the story).

Hubris.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Happy Badger and Skinny Pete got a awesome send off. Really happy it is over but I want to know what Jesse is doing now. He has to be finding Brock and hanging out.

Wilbur

Banned

Eh, it's a win/lose for me

Does he absolutely know his money is going to his kids? No. Does he get to fully enjoy the revenge on the Nazis? No. Not to mention the fact he's still down 75m dollars or so that he did make for his children, and only sought that revenge after his brother in law was killed in front of him and he spent months wasting away in a hell.

It was never about Walt winning, and he didn't win really, when you separate Walt's ego from the rest of the world. He went out in control. But everything else around him goes on, still fucked up. He admitted he was a fuck, he didn't die with his wife, or his children, or his partner. He died in a steel, metal meth lab. Heisenberg won, yeah. I'm not necessarily sure Walt did.

I don't really feel strongly about the ending, I guess I'm happy it wasn't awful.

It just feels like, to me, it would have been the same if they ended the show when Walt defeated Tuco, or when Walt defeated Gus, as when Walt defeated Uncle Jack.

Veitsev

Why is predictability bad? I get it if it makes things boring, but when its a part of each character's unique development I don't see the issue.

Shows should be judged on how they subvert expectations based on months of speculation posted on online message boards by hardcore fans of the show. Its the only way.

Mononoke

Banned
The stevia thing is more than just Lydia having a routine. She namedropped that shit in virtually every one of her scenes for the past year. :lol

I must have missed it - but was there more than one of it? I know it's been mentioned over and over. I thought it was in a group of those packets tho (so that's what I meant about her having to pick that specific pack out of the others).

Or did she bring the pack herself? I forget. And if she brought it herself, how did Walt get it in there? (I thought she grabbed it from the restaurant, and Walt had swiped it before she sat down.)

Raxus

Poor Aaron Paul. Everyone is going to jokingly call Need for Speed the sequel to Breaking Bad up until it releases because of this finale.

I thought the ending was ok but I almost predicted exactly how this episode would go down several episodes ago. They did have a few surprises in there.

Going to miss the series. Loved every minute of it.

Top Bottom