• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Nintendo NDS conference at 2:30pm (Japan time)

oh man i am SO preordering a DS today... i'm sold!

i don't even need any games, i can just use pictochat and justify the DS as being an alarm clock...
i know my NGPC did a great job at that in the past...

hrm, that reminds me...
real time clock...
does that mean the return of the mighty CR-2032 to power the clock!?!?!

:D :D :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
mrklaw said:
and have wifi turned on?

I'm all for saving batteries, but having a wifi switch means lots will switch it off, which kind of defeats the purpose of pictochat, other than for premeditated pictosessions - like trying to make your colleagues laugh while on an important telephone call.

Hey, no email to spy on = worksafe tomfoolery!

That's why the NDS has two wireless protocols built in. Wifi, and Nintendo's own Bluetoothesque protocol. You can save Wifi for your hotspots (and save your batteries) while using Nintendo's protocol (which is very energy efficient) for pictochat and close range games.

M3wThr33

Banned
It makes sense to bundle Hunters. That way people just getting a DS can experience the multiplayer first hand AND get a leg up on the mythical PStwo launching soon at the same price. At least the DS will come with 1.5 games.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
sucks that those of us in europe and australia will get it after the christmas period. i'm guessing the hardcore of us will import. added to the late release is the fact that although a price for australia hasn't been announced yet I expect it to cost $250 AUD which ends up being $25 USD ($35 AUD) more expensive than what americans will be able to get it for. makes the possibility of importing more appealing.

what possible reason could Nintendo have for delaying the DS in europe and australia?

Wow..$150. That is a great price for everything. I don't See the PSP overtaking the Nintendo DS. Nintedno knows how to do everything right for Handheld market, it unfortunate they have lost thier way in the console market.

Stryder

Scrow said:
sucks that those of us in europe and australia will get it after the christmas period. i'm guessing the hardcore of us will import. added to the late release is the fact that although a price for australia hasn't been announced yet I expect it to cost $250 AUD which ends up being $25 USD ($35 AUD) more expensive than what americans will be able to get it for. makes the possibility of importing more appealing.

what possible reason could Nintendo have for delaying the DS in europe and australia?
I'd say they want to make sure that the US and Jap release goes as smoothly as possible, and making sure that they have everything right for those regions.
We're not really a priority I don't think.

I'll be importing anyway, can't complain about getting it cheaper, sooner.

Rlan

Speaking of Importing, do the items from DVDboxoffice.com, like the DS or other systems, still use the 'free shipping' deal? If so, that it's really only 12 extra bucks over 200AU to get it months cheaper.

im thinking about importing to the uk myself, knowing Nintendo the thing will be £149 grr. $149 is super cheap (thanks for breaking yur economy mr bush)

My only worry is will all the functions work correctly when trying to communicate with DS's in pal regions once they are released. Must find this out, but i guess its unlikely to make any difference

aoi tsuki

MrPing1000 said:
im thinking about importing to the uk myself, knowing Nintendo the thing will be £149 grr. $149 is super cheap (thanks for breaking yur economy mr bush)

My only worry is will all the functions work correctly when trying to communicate with DS's in pal regions once they are released. Must find this out, but i guess its unlikely to make any difference
There shouldn't be any difference between wireless communications among regions, as i'm pretty sure the wireless specs are the same among regions. Unlike cell phones that rely on a network technology that doesn't have worldwide penetration like EDGE or GSM1900, WiFi and Bluetooth are much more local, and should be able to communicate with other devices with the same technology, provided they're wired to do so, as is the case with the DS.

And there shouldn't be any territorial lockout. There's never been one on Nintendo portables IIRC, or for any other portable i can think of.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Grubdog said:
I think this makes a $199 launch price in Australia very possible :D
We'd be very fortunate to get the DS for $200 at launch in Australia. I wouldn't count on it if I were you. $225 if we're lucky.

Oxymoron said:
150$ US is what, 190$CAD?
Sold!
Just doing a direct conversion from one currency to another isn't an accurate way to predict how the DS will be priced in one region compared to another. There's always a notable difference in the converted price versus the actual launch price.

edit: although since we're talking about USD to CAD conversion, it'd probably be much closer than say, USD -> AUD.

Grubdog

Banned
Scrow said:
We'd be very fortunate to get the DS for $200 at launch in Australia. I wouldn't count on it if I were you. $225 if we're lucky.
Well $199 seems like a more rounded number, plus the price of GBA SP was dropped to $149, also add the fact the the Japanese price for the DS equals around $200 AUD, and it seems pretty likely.... but I shouldn't expect much from Nintendo Australia, you're right. :p

Suerte

2005 in Europe? Way to shaft Europe AGAIN Nintendo. You could have been onto a winner this Christmas but instead you'll have to continue BOMBING with GC. OH YES. Although when it does launch in the UK I'm betting on a £180 - £200 price tag.

Import GET.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ahhh Jesus Christ..

I was hoping to hold out on a DS purchase this year but with the pricing and game lineup I can't do it. This thing is really very cool.

u_neek

Suerte said:
2005 in Europe? Way to shaft Europe AGAIN Nintendo. You could have been onto a winner this Christmas but instead you'll have to continue BOMBING with GC. OH YES. Although when it does launch in the UK I'm betting on a £180 - £200 price tag.

Import GET.

You said it...

Suerte

Deku Tree said:
Europe is getting LoZ: the Minish Cap this holiday season and the US has to wait until 2005.

.... and that makes it better how? I'll take DS over that any day. Nintendo cannot keep treating Europe as an after thought.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think, thanks to Europe, we'll start seeing better deals in the UK.

Eg, if its $150, and €150, its more likely to squeeze in at £99.99. Before the single currency, nintendo might have tried a £129.99, but I don't think they'll get away with it now - plus you can just buy from the web in Europe if thats the case.

Still, probably try and get one from the US.

SantaC

It sounds like Nintendo might've been taking suggestions at E3 to heart. Apparently, guys at PGC suggested that Nintendo include PictoChat with every DS, I complained about the buttons being way too small, there were also complaints about the hardware's appearance in general, and there were complaints about the sound being mono, or non-stereo or whatever.

It could have been Nintendo's plan since before E3.. but it's interesting nonetheless.

One source they never should listen to is IGNcube and their stupid zelda plans. Scary.

Suerte

mrklaw said:
I think, thanks to Europe, we'll start seeing better deals in the UK.

Eg, if its $150, and €150, its more likely to squeeze in at £99.99. Before the single currency, nintendo might have tried a £129.99, but I don't think they'll get away with it now - plus you can just buy from the web in Europe if thats the case.

Still, probably try and get one from the US.

You really think it'll be less than £100? When the GBA itself is £70? Wishful thinking. It'll be £150 or possibly even more if Nintendo wants to use Europe to get back any cuts that's taking on the hardware in Japan/America.

BuddyC

It sounds like Nintendo might've been taking suggestions at E3 to heart. Apparently, guys at PGC suggested that Nintendo include PictoChat with every DS, I complained about the buttons being way too small, there were also complaints about the hardware's appearance in general, and there were complaints about the sound being mono, or non-stereo or whatever.

It could have been Nintendo's plan since before E3.. but it's interesting nonetheless.
Everyone who touched a DS basically had those same suggestions/complaints. Still it proves Nintendo does listen, though watching that fact go to people's heads is rather amusing.

It's going to be nowhere near £150. That's 240 euro or about $280, you honestly think they'd nearly double the US price? Not a chance. It's come in at around the £100 mark, maybe a little bit more.

AirBrian

What the hell! Can someone please sum up what happened (or edit the first post) so I don't have to churn through 8 pages? :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It will only be £150 if its €199. If its €149, it'll be £99.

I'm not speculating which it'll be, just saying that I think the Euro rate at the moment makes it more difficult for different prices across Europe, which wasn't previously the case.

So you think it'll be €199?

If that original 10,000 yen price was real, then I doubt they are gouging too much at $149, so I think they could squeeze in at £99/€149.

Suerte

Chibbi Brady said:
It's going to be nowhere near £150. That's 240 euro or about $280, you honestly think they'd nearly double the US price? Not a chance. It's come in at around the £100 mark, maybe a little bit more.

There's no way it's coming in at £100 anyway, when the GBA just had a price cut to £70, who would buy a GBA when it'd only be £30 more to get a DS?

SantaC

Nintendo has recently put a patent on some new functions that could quite possibly be added to PictoChat. The new patent helps to show what this program and the DS can really do. Below is the list of trademarked features:

* Wireless Voice Mail Services
* Wireless Electronic Transmission of Voice Signals
* Online Videogame News and Hints
* Data Transfer
* Demo Downloads
* Message Boards"

yay :D

SantaCruZer said:
Nintendo has recently put a patent on some new functions that could quite possibly be added to PictoChat. The new patent helps to show what this program and the DS can really do. Below is the list of trademarked features:

* Data Transfer
* Demo Downloads
* Message Boards"

jesus fuck! Nintendo stop this madness. You're only confusing the haters on the board. No, don't say you're packing in Metroid Prime Hunters! It'll only further humiliate "them".

GDGF

Soothsayer
For the younger crowd the NDS will be the ultimate pokemon player and cheat device

For the teenyboppers it will be a handheld LAN party and Japanese RPG machine

For the older folk, it will be the everyman's PDA

For me It'll be something new. Something different. Something good.

CrisKre

I cannot wait to be in the bus/subway/university and have this thing engage me in Mario 64 4 player madness with unknown adversaries. I hope it sells like hotcackes. More fun for me :D !!!!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
EBGames.com and Gamestop.com are both limiting preorders to one per customer. EBGames has already revised the price to $150, but GS still lists it as $200. GS has several games listed as releasing on 12/7/04, including notables such as Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy CC, Metroid, Wario Ware, & Sonic. If those are among the launch games, then I would be ecstatic. EB still has every DS game as releasing on 3/1/05.

I'm going to preorder now because of the probability of launch shortages and the specter of merchant-imposed bundles to take advantage of that scarcity.

When one DS finds another on a train, you can't just start yelling "WHO HAS THE OTHER DS AROUND HERE?!?"

lollers

This thread is a Nintendo wet dream for me!

Recap:

Nintendo DS w/ Pictochat + Metroid Prime: Hunters = $150!!!!

Possible additions to Pictochat:

* Data Transfer
* Demo Downloads
* Message Boards

*faints*

Chittagong

Gold Member
SantaCruZer said:

* Data Transfer
* Demo Downloads
* Message Boards"

Wasn't this news related to some ages old patent discussion, 64DD comes in mind?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nope, you're thinking of the patent that people thought was the Revolution, but was the 64DD.

This was actually listed as Pictochat in the official patent. Doesn't mean it's all gonna make it in, but they certainly listed it for a reason.

Top Bottom