• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Nintendo NDS conference at 2:30pm (Japan time)

Stryder

krypt0nian said:
Link not working....
I guess because the information in it is not current or real, I doubt it would launch that cheap in Japan that soon after the U.S. release, although it could.

If it's real I'll be importing my DS from Japan instead of the US.

neo2046

a starategy from Nintendo to Sony's coming conforence ?
Sudden a conforence and the price change
if that is the case, better do nothing and be quiet to see what happens next :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
it was a nod to this :

"it is from Nintendo.jp directly
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ds_nofla.jpg"

it's an interesting jpg
possibly something in archive that wasn't meant to be used?
or a second presentation owning?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Nintendo has always offered really low battery life estimates. The SP lasts a good 50-75% longer than what Nintendo's official word was. I expect "real" battery life from normal playing to be 10-14 hours.

Jonnyram

olimario said:
Did you save it? Did somebody save it?
Where is it? I'll host it!
ds_nofla.jpg

Joe

the DS has my attention now mostly because of price and this picto-chat.

are there any PDA-esque functions? date book, calender, phonebook? it'd be cool if it would be a game machine that could double as a pda-lite.

pilonv1

DCharlie said:
it was a nod to this :

it's an interesting jpg

I'd say it will possibly be used after the Sony conference, dending how it goes ;)

ds10000.jpg

There, it's now on a stable server.

Is it possible that Nintendo is going to pull another N64 and drop the price another 50$USD right before launch? If so, that is absolutely batshit insane.

DCharlie said:
it was a nod to this :

it's an interesting jpg

Giving up your hand this early, DCharlie? =)

aoi tsuki

MH with the DS? Sounds like a nice addition since impressions pegged it as best, a fun though limited multiplayer game. i'm not betting on it though, and i'm wondering when Nintendo will release a first gen killer app for the unit.

GDGF

Soothsayer
You lie to me sir! This news is too grand!!

Oh shit! I've had a heart attack and died. You've just killed ol' GDGF! Bastard!

Joe

ill take "could be a demo" as "most likely a demo" until someone says otherwise.

bundle in a halfway decent FULL game and im sold.

and why would they announce it at $150 then drop it to $100 right before launch?

maynerd

Banned
I really hope that it is the full game. Nintendo really needs to start kickin ass and takin names. They have such a massive collection of IP that they can easily afford to give away a game to sell a console right off the blocks. This system should fly off of the shelves and the PSP will be DOOMED!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Joe said:
and why would they announce it at $150 then drop it to $100 right before launch?
N64 did it (from 250 to 199.99 IIRC)

It could be

a) a shrewd move planned to generate extra hype.
b) an anti PSP contigency plan
c) an old plan that did not get followed through on but the image wasn't culled from the database.

BuddyC

Joe said:
ill take "could be a demo" as "most likely a demo" until someone says otherwise.

bundle in a halfway decent FULL game and im sold.

to punk nintendo? i'm running around without a filter at this hour, I really have no comprehension of what I'm saying.

PkunkFury

Bundeled with a Metroid game?? Guess marketing is trying to play off of the Metroid Prime bundle for the Gamecube. Still bundelling a Metroid and not a Mario feels so weird...

aoi tsuki

It makes sense to bundle it with something other than the embedded PictoChat. PC isn't going to sell anyone on the system. It's just a neat bonus to kill time, but the novelty will die quickly unless you're 13 and bored in class. Metroid Hunters would make a nice intro to the system, sell people on the concept of the touch screen and get people psyched for wireless gaming. i'm still a skeptical about whether it'll be bundled or not though.

Has the built-in microphone been standard thus far? i remember it being rumored but not official, and then there was talk of the "special hole" being used for a headset.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Joe said:

Same reason the N64 was announced at $250 then dropped to $200 right before launch I guess :)

PkunkFury said:
Bundeled with a Metroid game?? Guess marketing is trying to play off of the Metroid Prime bundle for the Gamecube. Still bundelling a Metroid and not a Mario feels so weird...

Metroid is the new black.

GDGF

Soothsayer
aoi tsuki said:
Has the built-in microphone been standard thus far? i remember it being rumored but not official, and then there was talk of the "special hole" being used for a headset.

Yeah, it's mentioned in the new white paper, and you can see it in the new pics too.

aoi tsuki

scola said:
N64 did it (from 250 to 199.99 IIRC)

It could be

a) a shrewd move planned to generate extra hype.
b) an anti PSP contigency plan
c) an old plan that did not get followed through on but the image wasn't culled from the database.
At $100, who'd buy the SP, other than a)parents looking to save a few bucks or b)people who can't find a DS? If MH is bundled, the DS represents the better value out of the box. Even if it's not, it's shiny new hardware that plays GBA games. Plus, Nintendo could easily sell the DS through the Christmas season at $150.

Dragmire

aoi tsuki said:
It makes sense to bundle it with something other than the embedded PictoChat. PC isn't going to sell anyone on the system. It's just a neat bonus to kill time, but the novelty will die quickly unless you're 13 and bored in class.
You obviously haven't realized that Pictochat is a fantastic way to quickly set up multiplayer games.

PkunkFury

Sho Nuff said:
Gotta be a demo. There is no way you'd normally have a game called "Metroid Hunters: First Hunt"

...OR IS IT

Perhaps the single player segment tells the story of Samus before Metroid NES, hence "First Hunt"

but it's probably a demo :(

DCharlie

"It's just a neat bonus to kill time, but the novelty will die quickly unless you're 13 and bored in class."

but Nintendo's target audience is... ?

i think it's perfectly targetted - and i'm not the biggest Nintendo fan.

I can imagine some of the pics going back and forth...

"i will (pic of boo) (pic of sheep + R at the end) (pic of a donkey) at Wario"
"pfff... (pic of sheep) (pic of the villain from Peter Pan + S- at the front) (pic of a male chicken)"

DCharlie

"It's just a neat bonus to kill time, but the novelty will die quickly unless you're 13 and bored in class."

but Nintendo's target audience is... ?

i think it's perfectly targetted - and i'm not the biggest Nintendo fan.

I can imagine some of the pics going back and forth...

"i will (pic of boot) (pic of sheep + R at the end) (pic of a donkey) at Wario"
"pfff... (pic of sheep) (pic of the villain from Peter Pan + S- at the front) (pic of a male chicken)"

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
aoi tsuki said:
At $100, who'd buy the SP, other than a)parents looking to save a few bucks or b)people who can't find a DS? If MH is bundled, the DS represents the better value out of the box. Even if it's not, it's shiny new hardware that plays GBA games. Plus, Nintendo could easily sell the DS through the Christmas season at $150.

SP's $80

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I always thought the pictochat was a given, considering the DS' ability to 'sense' other DS's in the area. How the hell else were you going to spontaneously get a game going, like Nintendo hyped up at E3? You'd have to have some in-system way to communicate. When one DS finds another on a train, you can't just start yelling "WHO HAS THE OTHER DS AROUND HERE?!?"

Top Bottom