• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

jelly

So why did these Labour MPs vote for it?

Because they don't want to upset leave voters and lose their job. Party first, country second. Politicians are scared and would rather send us off a cliff, it's crazy. You would think leave won by a huge margin the way they act. Not everyone voted, it was 52-48 and people changed their mind now. History will not be kind to these people.

What seems particularly short-sighted to me is the Conservatives looking to increase governmental power when they could well be handing the keys over to Jeremy Corbyn before long.

It depends on how long this takes to happen. The conservatives have a window of at most 2 years to make any changes they want.

I don't think this will apply after the Brexit

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There's no significant evidence that enough people sufficient to alter the result have changed their mind yet. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's not true.

Lagamorph

There's no significant evidence that enough people sufficient to alter the result have changed their mind yet. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's not true.
It's been clear from literally the morning the result was announced that public opinion had shifted enough that the referendum would go the other way if held again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's been clear from literally the morning the result was announced that public opinion had shifted enough that the referendum would go the other way if held again.

This just isn't true.

danowat

Banned

Define clear?, surely it's nothing more than anecdotal musings?

I seriously think people still under estimate the hunger for Brexit no matter what the cost.

Define clear?, surely it's nothing more than anecdotal musings?

I seriously think people still under estimate the hunger for Brexit no matter what the cost.

Sadly true imo, especially given the way people tend to be happier sticking with a decision, any decision, over faff and talk, unless said decision is so obviously dire. There is enough bluster, obfuscation, doubt and distance to make that realisation unlikely on any massive scale.

SteveWD40

I would like to think so as well, but then anecdotal evidence / "feelings" had me thinking Remain would win by a decent margin. I have resigned myself to the fact I am a little out of touch, with most of my input being reasonably comfortable people in their 30's in / around Manchester (a Labour stronghold that voted remain).

If there is a shift, I would guess some of it is older people dying (sad but true).

Burai

shitonmychest57
I doubt many have changed their minds. The right wing press and MPs have really doubled down on their rhetoric since the referendum.

What I would expect, as we saw in the General, is that the "I voted Leave for the lolz because I didn't think it would win", "I voted leave to stick it to Cameron" and, even more importantly, the "I didn't bother to vote because what's the point" crowds would turn out for Remain in greater numbers. That could just be enough to swing it.

Vagabundo

I would like to think so as well, but then anecdotal evidence / "feelings" had me thinking Remain would win by a decent margin. I have resigned myself to the fact I am a little out of touch, with most of my input being reasonably comfortable people in their 30's in / around Manchester (a Labour stronghold that voted remain).

If there is a shift, I would guess some of it is older people dying (sad but true).

Slightly grim, but probably best if the process is long and drawn out and leads to another referendum.

Also this doesn't taken into account the mobilisation of the younger anti-brexit votenot that they've had a bit of chaos. I'm not sure if the polls would give a good read on the shift. It really depends on who turns out to vote. I could see a situation where many brexiteers have lost their taste for it even if they still are "for" it.

cabot

Don't think there's a shift, however if the referendum happened again, I bet a significant chunk of the youth would turn up this time.

There won't be another referendum though. Maybe a 5-10% chance of a final deal one. Depends how bad it hits before that point.

It's only past the second reading. It's got a way to go to become law.

Passage-of-a-bill.png

The critical part will be the 3rd reading. The labour brexiteers might be going with a strategy of, "I supported the brexit bill and leaving the EU, but the current bill grants too much power to Thersa May and does not provide the safeguards that are vital to my constituents".

If they are in leave-voting areas, they must appear to support brexit (or maybe they actually do) but as an opposition they must also oppose the greatest transfer of unchecked power to a Tory government that their constituents are just as opposed to.
It would be suicide for a labour brexiteer to give carte blanche to the tories on workers' rights and consumer protection laws. Much more so than delaying brexit.

On demographics, I think there has been a small shift to remain. Non voting remainers are more likely to show up and some brexit voters will have been turned off by the fact that they are clearly not getting the Brexit they voted for from Davis.
I doubt it's a big shift, but it only needs a 2% shift.
But there won't be a second referendum unless our government falls apart, we have a new election and Keir Stamer convinces Corbyn that Brexit is suicidal without a further mandate from the people. And the EU somehow agree that they should put a hold on Brexit and allow a repeal of Art.50.

Uzzy

The amendments for the EU Withdrawal Bill have been published, and there's 136 of them.

The Labour leadership have put in quite a few, but it's the amendments from what I'm going to dub the gang of nine (Grieve, Clarke, Morgan, Soubry, Sandbach, Hammond, Wollaston, Lefroy and Neill) that are the most dangerous to May. They've put forward amendments that "empower Parliament to control the length and basic terms of transitional arrangements" for the final deal to be "approved by statute passed by parliament" and for ministers to "remove the exclusion of the Charter of Fundamental Rights from retained EU law"

Nine votes is enough to overturn the Tories/DUP majority, iirc. So as long as the opposition vote as one, those amendments can pass.

Mr. Sam

The main problem with the campaign was - stealing this soundbite from The New Statesman podcast - that Remain started campaigning in 2016 and Leave started in 1973. One could argue that 48% was a surprisingly good result for Remain, considering.

It doesn't matter anymore article 50 was triggered and that means no EU membership in 1 1/2 years. UK can only rejoin through article 49 like all other new members.

What is this bill about?
I thought a bill was already voted on.

Bills go through various 'readings' in each house of Parliament, which allow for potential amendments and rewritings of the bill. Because this one is such a big deal, we (as a nation) are paying closer attention than usual to the earlier stages.

cabot

That whole tree of tweets is depressing, and it's from a Pro-Leave source calling the government delusional.

Full section:

1. Our intel is that May is going to announce in her speech that she's to give formal notice to leave the EEA.

2. And, in an attempt to by-pass the Commission, extend an invitation to all the EEA members to enter into direct talks with the UK

3. This would be to create a new EEA Agreement, under a different name, without the four freedoms ... just trading rules.

4. She's not going to walk away, but it will be a take it or leave it offer. Either take it or we walk.

5. It would appear they are going with the Legatum template.

https://lif.blob.core.windows.net/l...ade-commission-november-2016-pdf.pdf?sfvrsn=4 ...

6. The idea that existing EEA members will seek to weaken their agreement is delusional. Close to insane.

7. If this is the UK proposal then May will end up with egg n her face and we'll be back to square one - or walking away with nothing.

8. Government clearly misses the point that any deal must be substantially more than just trade.

9. The EU is not about to unpick the entire EEA agreement for the sole benefit of the UK. What is May smoking?

10. EEA agreement is configurable for the UK but anything beyond that is howling mad.

11. More to the point, the EU could not be any clearer that no talks on trade etc will happen until divorce terms agreed.

12. This smells like an attempt to circumvent the entire process. A refusal to engage. It will not succeed.

Ruh Roh.

I'm confused by section 3, she won't walk away but it's 'take it or we'll walk' ??

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So practically May's idea of a trade deal is to sabotage the negotiating partner. How (British) imperialistic of her.

Honestly, I would be very afraid to give full power to somebody so delusional like her.

theaface

Summarised:

Our intel is that May is going to announce in her speech that she's to give formal notice to leave the EEA. And, in an attempt to by-pass the Commission, extend an invitation to all the EEA members to enter into direct talks with the UK. This would be to create a new EEA Agreement, under a different name, without the four freedoms ... just trading rules.

She's not going to walk away, but it will be a take it or leave it offer. Either take it or we walk. The idea that existing EEA members will seek to weaken their agreement is delusional. Close to insane. If this is the UK proposal then May will end up with egg n her face and we'll be back to square one - or walking away with nothing.

Government clearly misses the point that any deal must be substantially more than just trade. The EU is not about to unpick the entire EEA agreement for the sole benefit of the UK. What is May smoking? EEA agreement is configurable for the UK but anything beyond that is howling mad.

More to the point, the EU could not be any clearer that no talks on trade etc will happen until divorce terms agreed. This smells like an attempt to circumvent the entire process. A refusal to engage. It will not succeed.

- "Mum, can I have a free trade agreement?"
- "No, not until you've tidied your room and done your chores. Me and your father have been over this."
- "I see..."

SOME TIME LATER

- "Dad, can I have a free trade agreement? Mum said it was OK."

Acorn

That whole tree of tweets is depressing, and it's from a Pro-Leave source calling the government delusional.

Full section:

Ruh Roh.

I'm confused by section 3, she won't walk away but it's 'take it or we'll walk' ??
Fuck May and anyone that supports her.

Maledict

I'm guessing that May is not going to walk away first, but make it look like she had no choice but to walk when the EU reject this offer.

This has been the September plan all along. There was a leak in the Times months ago saying that in September, prior to conference, May would stage an effective walk out of negotiations to look strong and ressurect those Daily Mail front pages she so loves.

It's pathetic. She is continuing Cameron's shittyness of putting internal party politics above everything else. The party simply is not fit for government right now with these dynamics in play, and a leader so cowardly and inept that she can't challenge them.

I voted to stay and even I don't believe this is true. I think it's mostly bluster and anecdotes.

Even if there were any concrete numbers suggesting this, that still doesn't guarantee anything after a 're-vote' (which is a terrible idea on its own).

People can say they regret it, but dumbass (not you, poster, the regretters, ha), it wasn't a practise vote. Maybe you shpuld've thought about it.

theaface

May would stage an effective walk out of negotiations to look strong and ressurect those Daily Mail front pages she so loves.

It'll be interesting to see this play out. I don't underestimate the DM's capacity for unchecked evil but on the other hand, I don't see them blindly championing her with the same zeal as they did before the GE. The 'Iron Lady 2.0' mask seems to have slipped too far to try and argue she's being a "bloody difficult woman" without a snicker.

cabot

This has been the September plan all along. There was a leak in the Times months ago saying that in September, prior to conference, May would stage an effective walk out of negotiations to look strong and ressurect those Daily Mail front pages she so loves.

It's pathetic. She is continuing Cameron's shittyness of putting internal party politics above everything else. The party simply is not fit for government right now with these dynamics in play, and a leader so cowardly and inept that she can't challenge them.

If it is indeed the same thing from the leak, I'm stunned by the lack of imagination following it being exposed.

Don't think there's a shift, however if the referendum happened again, I bet a significant chunk of the youth would turn up this time.

There won't be another referendum though. Maybe a 5-10% chance of a final deal one. Depends how bad it hits before that point.

"The youth" did turn up the first time. The ratio of young people who turned up was within two percent of all the other working aged groups. Only the retired turned up at any significant rate more than the others.

cabot

Another Leave voter tweet thread.

https://twitter.com/OliverNorgrove/status/907687683128004608

1/ So the Treasury is supposedly planning for a no deal Brexit. As a Leaver, this is terrifying. The WTO option is, bluntly, suicide.

2/ Several things happen when we leave eschewing negotiations with the EU. Firstly, we rely on GATT/WTO rules for facilitating trade.

3/ This has a profound impact upon our tariff arrangements with the EU, which currently are non-existent.

4/ Upon leaving the EU and becoming a 'third country', the EU is LEGALLY OBLIGED to impose on us the same tariffs it does other WTO members.

5/ Note that when I say 'other WTO members' I refer to those with whom the EU does not have Free Trade Agreements.

6/ At the heart of the WTO framework is a principle called Most Favoured Nation (MFN). It means members can't discriminate.

7/ If they do onto one they must do uniformly. A tariff here for one country means a tariff here for every other country.

8/ There are certain exemptions to this rule, such as if a member is a CU or has FTAs with members, and slightly different rules apply.

9/ This is how the EU has been able to negotiate preferential tariff schedules over many years. It remains influential and powerful.

10/ So, the EU applies to the UK new tariff schedules, which are inferior to those provided by membership. Prices at home are spiked.

11/ If the U.K. decides to retaliate, then it would need to do so to all other WTO members, as per MFN equal treatment rules.

12/ This is why Patrick Minford says: 'let's go to unilateral free trade'. But this doesn't even begin to fix things.

13/ A good way to spot a fraud or an amateur in Brexit/trade debate is to look for those who talk about trade purely in terms of tariffs.

14/ Tariffs are an issue, but a small one. The real economic minefield that lies behind the WTO door is a web of non-tariff barriers.

15/ Tariffs have indeed come down globally, but this drainage has exposed the magnitude of NTB issues we are left to deal with.

16/ As an EU member the UK enjoys a harmonised system of regulation. The benefit of this is the removal of technical barriers to trade.

17/ Outside of the EU, conformity (or regulatory convergence) is not enough to smooth trade flow. We need to prove we conform to standards.

18/ This is where customs cooperation comes in (which has nothing whatsoever to do with the Customs Union).

19/ Where there exists large amounts of trade between two trading partners (like EU+China), MRAs or equivalents built into FTAs are useful.

20/ MRAs are Mutual Recognition Agreements. MRAs promote trade facilitation by helping to assess conformity to standards.

21/ By eschewing EU negotiations, we will have to rely on WTO mechanisms, such as the TBT and SPS Agreements. This will be arduous.

22/ Unlike the EEA, these provisions aren't effective. No country trades with the EU solely using such terms. There is a reason for this.

23/ There will be clashes at external borders, whereby UK/EU will not be able to assess whether standards have been complied with.

24/ This will cause chaos. We will see delays at shipping ports, lorry queues on motorways stretching miles, wasted/devalued cargo etc.

25/ This may sound minor, but take the perspective of an exporter, or even a consumer expecting a product, and you realise it isn't.

26/ NTBs are more important than tariffs because their externalities cause far more profound (and often unseen) economic problems.

27/ Goods will not reach their destinations. Some may make it but scraping their sell-by or use-by dates. In other words: pandemonium.

28/ This is just a brief picture I am painting. There is a lot I don't know. I am trying to learn in time to warn enough people against it.

29/ So when Nigel Farage speaks of the WTO option by comparing possible EU tariffs with our budgetary contributions, this is LAUGHABLE.

30/ The problem extends far beyond tariffs, which will themselves be painful. The WTO option would be self-harm on an unimaginable scale.

If only someone had said this sort of thing could happen before the vote.

I know you're being sarcastic but if you think anyone who voted leave would give a shit if you told them that we won't be getting Mutual Recognition Agreements with China, you're mental. The problem here isn't that leave voters were under false illusions about the ease of trade after Brexit, it's that they don't care.

danowat

Banned
I know you're being sarcastic but if you think anyone who voted leave would give a shit if you told them that we won't be getting Mutual Recognition Agreements with China, you're mental. The problem here isn't that leave voters were under false illusions about the ease of trade after Brexit, it's that they don't care.

leave-word-cloud.jpg

theaface

Project Fear!

The fascinating thing reading this, given that it appears to be quite well informed, is that it's written by someone who thinks we'll be better off outside the EU. He almost sounds like he admires it. If it's the EEA model that's the magical middle ground, ain't it just the biggest shame that all of the high-profile Brexiteers have abandoned that platform (on which they stood pre-referendum).

Auctopus

Summarised:

- "Mum, can I have a free trade agreement?"
- "No, not until you've tidied your room and done your chores. Me and your father have been over this."
- "I see..."

SOME TIME LATER

- "Dad, can I have a free trade agreement? Mum said it was OK."

Director's Note: Mum is still in the room.

Top Bottom