• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

warbegins said:
you have done an awful lot of bitching about this game (lol at anyone posturing for a refund). if you are having such earth shattering problems with it then do a little google research instead of blindly posting!

this is how microsoft patch cert always goes.

Posturing for a refund? Think you got me mixed up with someone else, so check your facts.

If I've done an awful lot of bitching it's because I've been unable to play it since it came out due to lag. But I've on board with this game for about a year, followed it closely and preordered it, and was in this thread giving early impressions and answering questions a few days before release. I'm still playing it and getting other people involved, and have repeatedly said that other than the lag the game is a lot of fun.

So that's why I don't take kindly to you throwing shit at me in this thread.

Blackface

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Posturing for a refund? Think you got me mixed up with someone else, so check your facts.

If I've done an awful lot of bitching it's because I've been unable to play it since it came out due to lag. But I've on board with this game for about a year, followed it closely and preordered it, and was in this thread giving early impressions and answering questions a few days before release. I'm still playing it and getting other people involved, and have repeatedly said that other than the lag the game is a lot of fun.

So that's why I don't take kindly to you throwing shit at me in this thread.

Is it latency or framerate issues.

what type of computer do you have.

They need to patch some weapon damage. Everybody uses the Carb 9, I use the Carb 9.

Though when I play Soldier the Rhett, the Rocksteadi and one other AR that I forgot the name get some use.

It takes 3 to 4 seconds too long to plant an HE charge and about 3 seconds too long to build a turret. A beta would have really been great.

Anerythristic said:
They need to patch some weapon damage. Everybody uses the Carb 9, I use the Carb 9.

Though when I play Soldier the Rhett, the Rocksteadi and one other AR that I forgot the name get some use.

It takes 3 to 4 seconds too long to plant an HE charge and about 3 seconds too long to build a turret. A beta would have really been great.

I really like the Gerund, except for the small clip. The damage is great though. Need to try Rocksteadi - what mods do you have on yours?

Recently discovered how awesome flashbangs are today - very powerful for stopping an offense in its tracks (as long as your team is there to put bullets into them while you have the advantage).

Raide

Anerythristic said:

I agree with the Damage tweaks but I am not sure about altering the HE charge times etc. If they make stuff quicker, it would drop the need for teamwork. Maybe shave a bit off the Turret would be handy, since it can be a pain to drop those things under-fire.

Everything seems to have timing that needs teamwork.

Genesis Knight said:
I really like the Gerund, except for the small clip. The damage is great though. Need to try Rocksteadi - what mods do you have on yours?

Recently discovered how awesome flashbangs are today - very powerful for stopping an offense in its tracks (as long as your team is there to put bullets into them while you have the advantage).

Yes! The Flash+ Molotov combo is brutal for groups. :D

Raide said:
Yes! The Flash+ Molotov combo is brutal for groups. :D

Definitely! I keep telling my friends that if they want grenades that do real damage they need Molovs...you can cause a lot of damage with Scavenger.

Has anyone tried grenades with the frag power upgrade? Are they more powerful than Molotovs?

Raide

Genesis Knight said:
Definitely! I keep telling my friends that if they want grenades that do real damage they need Molovs...you can cause a lot of damage with Scavenger.

Has anyone tried grenades with the frag power upgrade? Are they more powerful than Molotovs?

Haha, yeah, finding out that combo+Scavenge is brutal.

The upgrade does not alter the damage, only the blast radius. (I think)

Raide said:

Yeah, I saw that. I just wonder how much stronger the damage is (enough to down/kill through a buff?) I might not put the point into it otherwise.

Genesis Knight said:
Massively, with grenade shooting they can be "explode on impact" without cooking as well.
Raide said:
Haha, yeah, finding out that combo+Scavenge is brutal.

One is radius, one is damage, both are awesome.

I really want to like this game, but I can't see myself staying with it a long time without consistent players on my team. I haven't played a game so far with more than 3 people on my team out of 8

Raide

Danne-Danger said:
Massively, with grenade shooting they can be "explode on impact" without cooking as well.

One is radius, one is damage, both are awesome.

Ahh ok. My mistake! :D Might have to get the other one too.

thezerofire said:
I really want to like this game, but I can't see myself staying with it a long time without consistent players on my team. I haven't played a game so far with more than 3 people on my team out of 8

Sometimes you get really lucky. Today I got into a campaign lobby on Hard AI where all 8 players were using headsets and coordinating; it was a ton of fun and we went through the whole Security campaign. I hated to leave!

Okay, so I'll def. have to get that grenade up then. Soldier is becoming my favorite class.

Raide

Genesis Knight said:
Sometimes you get really lucky. Today I got into a campaign lobby on Hard AI where all 8 players were using headsets and coordinating; it was a ton of fun and we went through the whole Security campaign. I hated to leave!

Okay, so I'll def. have to get that grenade up then. Soldier is becoming my favorite class.

What body-type are you running for your Soldier?

Raide said:
What body-type are you running for your Soldier?

Well I'm running Medium right now because I seem to die a lot with Light and the extra health is useful when you go on nade raids by yourself to cause trouble. It might be because I'm not very good at freerunning yet. Have you tried it with Heavy? That's what I'm thinking about next, although I can't decide if I like the nade launchers. (Medic + minigun still seems the best with Heavy.)

Raide

Genesis Knight said:
Well I'm running Medium right now because I seem to die a lot with Light and the extra health is useful when you go on nade raids by yourself to cause trouble. It might be because I'm not very good at freerunning yet. Have you tried it with Heavy? That's what I'm thinking about next. (Medic + minigun still seems the best with Heavy.)

The low mobility can make it hard to keep people alive, especially if you have to run or SMART to get to them. Running a Heavy Soldier currently and you are pretty much a walking tank. I have a Minigun+Shotgun combo and it seems to work well. Having the bonus mag size also helps as well.

Might try a Heavy Medic at some point too. :D

Are there any exploits in this game?

There was this random turret up in the air that didn't seem to vulnerable to bullets.

My sound also disappeared in one of the levels.

Raide

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Are there any exploits in this game?

There was this random turret up in the air that didn't seem to vulnerable to bullets.

My sound also disappeared in one of the levels.

There might be some glitches but no exploits that I have heard of. I am sure people will find them. :D

So what was that turret thing that would shoot everyone?

It was way up high, would empty clip after clip into it and would die.

I sound like I'm insane.

Heavy's Sandvich said:

I sound like I'm insane.

Did you wander near the enemy spawn? They are invincible...

Raide

Heavy's Sandvich said:

I sound like I'm insane.

lol

If you start seeing it more and more, it might be an exploit.

Genesis Knight said:

Oh gawd, how many times have I been running away and ran right instead of left. "Turrets nooooooooo! Cannot run." *drops objective*

Genesis Knight said:

No where near.

It was the container level, the opposition blew up the massive gate to move the little robot thingy along, it had already made the right turn.

Way way way above it was this turret that would automatically shoot everything in sight. Nothing would cause any damage on it whatsoever.

Genesis Knight said:

yeah. it just seems like it takes a lot of effort to get with people who know what to do. I don't mind coordinating and using strategy and stuff, but when I have to be the one who does everything and carries the team it gets tiring. especially because I generally play games for relaxation anyway

Can anyone help me with this issue?

I play this with 5.1 speakers and I find the volume of your guns to be way too loud. I tried turning down my center channel and turning down sound volume in the menu, but I don't think it really effected that sound. Now all the other sounds are just quieter.

This is an issue I have a lot, since most games emphasize your gun volume a bit too much. Does someone know a console command to alter the sound mix?

Captain Fish said:
Can anyone help me with this issue?

I play this with 5.1 speakers and I find the volume of your guns to be way too loud. I tried turning down my center channel and turning down sound volume in the menu, but I don't think it really effected that sound. Now all the other sounds are just quieter.

This is an issue I have a lot, since most games emphasize your gun volume a bit too much. Does someone know a console command to alter the sound mix?
Some guy posted this on the SD forums covering sound tweaks:
I suggest you make changes in no more that 10 units at a time or you may make your ears bleed.

s_volume_dB "10" //controls general volume.
s_volume_VoIPActive_dB "-20.0" // controls how many dB the game sound decreases when someone talks on VOIP
s_numberOfSpeakers "6" //can set to 2 is you use headphones?
s_volume_VoIPIn_dB "10" //controls your VOIP volume out.
s_volume_VoIPOut_dB "10" //controls your VOIP volume in. How loud you hear other players
s_volumeFX_dB "-20" //controls volume level on gun noises and things that aren't speech
s_volumeMusic_dB "-60" //music volume.. duh
s_volumeSpeech_dB "15" //The sound level you hear in game chat. NOT voip, but "I need ammo, etc."

This is the simplest way I can think of to test. Find an empty server with bots or start a solo map with bots.
-Open the console by pressing CTRL+ALT+~ <--next to the number 1
-type s_volumeFX and press enter. It should tell you what your current value is as well as the default. Boost or lower this value as desired by typing:
-SETA s_volumeFX -10 and press enter. This would boost the sound FX volume by 10 db and save the setting seta=set +archive.
-close the console (hit ~)and run around a bit listening and see if you like it. If not, boost or reduce as necessary.
-repeat for the other cvars. The voip ones are the hardest to test. You can however turn talkback on if you set up a server to use cheats. by
net_allowTalkBack 0: you cannot hear yourself when you talk into the mic 1: you can hear yourself when you talk into the mic
type: bool (cheat)
Doesn't look like there's anything for guns specifically.

See if it develops! http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26096

Stuttering and lag is still rendering this game unplayable for me, and it may even be worse post patch (HD 4870)

And now the sound is starting to cut out completely mid game, every time.

Awesome launch on all fronts.

mbmonk

Patch didn't really fix much for me ( still have crappy FPS at times and audio cutouts ) but it introduced a new bug of the text getting garbled at times. Strange.

I enjoy the game but the bugs are really the source of frustration. The core gameplay is good.

Now if a slot would open up on the US GAF server...

EDIT: who runs the GAF server? Seems like there is 1 reserved slot. So max teams is 7 vs 8 because it's 15 public slots?

Sanic

mbmonk said:
EDIT: who runs the GAF server? Seems like there is 1 reserved slot. So max teams is 7 vs 8 because it's 15 public slots?

I do. There shouldn't be a reserved spot, but i'm going to look into it now, along with the other reported issues. But it seems there are only 10 people on the server now, so you should be good to go regardless.

mbmonk

Pandoracell said:
I do. There shouldn't be a reserved spot, but i'm going to look into it now, along with the other reported issues. But it seems there are only 10 people on the server now, so you should be good to go regardless.

I just want to say THANK YOU! I had some great games on there earlier today with some fellow GAFFERS.

Genesis Knight said:
I really like the Gerund, except for the small clip. The damage is great though. Need to try Rocksteadi - what mods do you have on yours?.

The other weapon I was taking about was the Euston, its really good. The Rocksteadi is a semi auto assault rifle that kills or can kill in 2 shots (think FAL for COD vets). I use Rapid Fire mags and a red dot site on it. I dont use the Gerund simply out of personal preference, it doesn't "feel" the way I like, I don't consider it a bad gun though.

Sanic

mbmonk said:
I just want to say THANK YOU! I had some great games on there earlier today with some fellow GAFFERS.

No problem! Glad you're enjoying yourself.

Very happy that I changed my FOV to 90. I'm not normally one to be bothered by a low FOV, but I feel like it's a substantial improvement here.

Sanic

Some info for PC players:

Voting will be enabled on the US server with the next server restart, which will be sometime within the next 12-14 hours when everyone clears off. Open the console and type 'Callvote', followed by one of these commands:

SetObjectiveMap //you need to enter map name
ShuffleXp
ShuffleRandom
SwapTeams
BalanceTeams
KickPlayer
MutePlayer
MutePlayerVOIP
MapRestart

The console can also be used to print out various stats, using the 'stats display' command. For example, 'stats display total_damage'. For a full list of stat commands, just type in 'stats display'.

Edit: Also, i've enabled VOIP. You guys better start talking now :p

Razorwind

Looks like this game deserves a look into...Everything seems solid minus the lag and maybe some bugs.

Do you guys think this lag issue can be resolved? Sometimes these are embedded too deeply within the netcode or the game fundamental mechanics, it becomes impossible to patch...(I recall Vanguard ...urgh)

Do you guys think Brink has the potential to be the new Quake 3 of FPS?

Lol, I tried playing online now that PSN is back up and I ended up in games with myself and only one other person.

I wonder how many people actually bought this on PS3.

So I finally got around to playing this game today. I finished up all of the 2-star challenges and played about four campaign missions. I still haven't played multiplayer yet; once I get a little more familiar with the feel of the game I'll try to see if I can get in on a few GAF matches.

I'm really liking the way the game plays so far. I'm playing as a dedicated Soldier/Engineer, with most of my time so far being spent as an Engineer, and most of that has been as a medium type, with an AR/SMG weapon combo. I see a lot of love for Grenade Shooting; I've been using the grenade launcher as my primary method of grenade delivery so far, and it's been treating me pretty well.

Any preferences on SMGs and ARs around here? I've been using the Galactic SMG so far, and it works out all right (especially with Drum Mags), but I haven't found an AR that I really want to settle on yet. Also, I've been putting Muzzle Brakes on all of my guns; I know it increases the noise, but are there any other unadvertised disadvantages I should be aware of?

zlatko

Banned
TheFuryMGS3 said:
Is there a party system on xbox? If so could someone explain how I can party up with my brother, we just bought this.

One of you make a game w/e it is you want to play.

Then you can invite him once you are in the cut scene where it says B for menu or A to skip.

Or he can just join off your name if he goes on his friendlist to find you.

XeroSauce

Enjoying the Barett, surprisingly. People are almost always damaged, so it's consequently almost always a one shot kill. Great stuff quickscoping people when they don't expect it.

Anyone notice the music notes that play when you switch between wait for medic/respawn when you are down? You can play a little song for yourself as you watch medics run right by you. Pretty sweet.

Dead said:
wow, complaints regarding MP performance on 360 are not exagerated. It is literally unplayable :(
I think most people are having better games if you set the mode to Competition while in Freeplay. It's only 5 per side, but it's competitive and that's more humans than the other modes now (except for Big Teams) do to the hotfix Splash Damage applied.

Dead

well not really...yet
AndoCalrissian said:
I think most people are having better games if you set the mode to Competition while in Freeplay. It's only 5 per side, but it's competitive and that's more humans than the other modes now (except for Big Teams) do to the hotfix Splash Damage applied.
I actually did try Competition, and it was just as bad as every other mode

I really hope the devs can solve this, because Im really loving the game itself. I mean, Ive had no lag whatsoever when playing the single player online, yet....

Im curious as to the performance on PS3 now that PSN is back up.

Dead said:
I actually did try Competition, and it was just as bad as every other mode

I really hope the devs can solve this, because Im really loving the game itself. I mean, Ive had no lag whatsoever when playing the single player online, yet....

Im curious as to the performance on PS3 now that PSN is back up.
Hmm. I was getting bad lag through last night, unless I found a good match. Today though, I think I've only encountered one or two unplayable matches, and I've played for a good 3-4 hours today.

Loving the game, though Splash Damage has made some odd choices throughout that I wouldn't expect having played both Enemy Territory games.

soultron

Banned
Thanks to the 360 live fix (limits the entire match to 8 players -- ex. 4v4 humans) it's playable now. Hoping that Splash Damage can find some way to get 8v8 human play ready without the whole "Big Game" custom game type.

It's amazing playing with real people. Shit was off the hook. The team I was on wasn't using headsets (I was the only person talking) but we were controlling health and supply CPs (and I was upgrading them for the extra pips) and people were actually going for their class-specific objectives. It was just amazing. The way the game was meant to be played!

For the people on the fence, grab it. Once you see this game working on all levels, it's really something else to be a part of it. Just be aware that the online performance still isn't perfect yet.

Top Bottom