• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

robotrock

Banned
rasberryjam said:
I had the same problem! Just download the Brink config program here. Follow the instructions it gives you and set your FOV to 70 for default or 90 if you like to see things.

Oh, fantastic! Thanks! I'll go download that now.

From glitches and whatnot (360 version), Ive experienced none. Now that the network issues, while not perfect, have improved leaps and bounds from launch, the game is amazing. Again, Id really like to form a base of us that play semi-regularly here. My only issue is that while when you play with the public and everyone is playing solid, its just a ridiculously good game. But when you got 4 engineers, and I have to personally play the role of everything else because no one will switch, its infuriating.

I cant count how many games Ive had so far where Im almost a good 2000 XP above the 2nd guy on our team, and trust me.... Im not that good. Even had one where I started off with about 1500, next guy had like 300, and then a vote was called to kick me off the team.... and it passed. Didnt do anything to warrant that at all, other than being the only person that knew what they were doing. Biggest WTF moment Ive had so far.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
For online play, I am now getting a lot of CTDs right as the round is just starting. It looks like textures are filling in for about a second and then CTD.

FLEABttn

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
I'm thinking about getting this game on the PS3. How is it technically?

"Meh" and even then that depends on how tolerant you are. It jaggy, the framerate is usually between 20 and 30 I'd say, and there's a lot of texture pop.

That said I played 3 rounds last night when it came up and had some good fun, but nobody knows how to play a fucking medic or engineer. I didn't see any operatives either.

Anyone from GAF going to be playing this afternoon (US central time)? I should be on around 12:30 CST for some 360 action (assuming nothing comes up), and I'm ready to jump into the online pool. GT is divisionbyzorro - you can add me or find me through the GAF Brink 360 tag.

Can someone tell me what type of server is good for obtaining the Tough As Nails achievement ? (Completing every mission in online versus or hard mode)

I don't want to try to get it on hard difficulty, given the enemies are too powerful and your own team is weak as hell (plus they don't do anything useful), and on PC, Campaign Versus is grayed out so we can't get it with that. I tried Campaign Co-op, didn't work.

Would Objective Standard work for it? If not, which one then?

hitoshi said:
Well, thats's nice, I can't play with my friends anymore if they are inviting me / i'm trying to join them because i'm lvl 20. Really. No lobby and a level cap, so every time i switch the game on, everybody has to get really friendly and just quit what they are doing so i can join too?

I really really thought this would be an amazing game. I've had a really great time in the past few days, but this is getting ridicolous. Splash Damage: You've made several multiplayer games in the past, yet you make all the mistakes one can at launch. What.the hell.happened?
tell them to remove the level restrictions when making a game

zoner said:
they should just patch out the shotgun because it's lost the close range fight against automatics in every single encounter for me
It's a one shot down at close range

f0rk

Was Homefront a Steamworks game? I think that's gone missing for the UK store as well.
Brink is tracking pretty high on the Steam active players thing.

Klocker

TheApatheticOne said:
From glitches and whatnot (360 version), Ive experienced none. Now that the network issues, while not perfect, have improved leaps and bounds from launch, the game is amazing. Again, Id really like to form a base of us that play semi-regularly here. My only issue is that while when you play with the public and everyone is playing solid, its just a ridiculously good game. But when you got 4 engineers, and I have to personally play the role of everything else because no one will switch, its infuriating.

I cant count how many games Ive had so far where Im almost a good 2000 XP above the 2nd guy on our team, and trust me.... Im not that good. Even had one where I started off with about 1500, next guy had like 300, and then a vote was called to kick me off the team.... and it passed. Didnt do anything to warrant that at all, other than being the only person that knew what they were doing. Biggest WTF moment Ive had so far.

am I the only one where the lag has gotten WORSE (360)

at launch was getting in lots of full games...now every other match is a slide show. Not to mention on games that appear to work, I'm getting my ass kicked, where before I was doing pretty damned well. I'm dying instantly which also smells like lag.

Was enjoying it, now I'm not

Mrbob

f0rk said:
Was Homefront a Steamworks game? I think that's gone missing for the UK store as well.
Brink is tracking pretty high on the Steam active players thing.

Glad to see it because I'm enjoying this game quite a bit. I still have a lot to learn since I only have about 5 hours into the game and I'm digging the team based atmosphere for multi player. It is so much fun when you have a team which is working together with all classes.

Ton of servers running on PC right now too, over 800 at the moment. Also I can save my favorite servers! Happy an online game did not forget about this aspect. 16 player games online smooth as silk.

Teknoman

derFeef said:
Its nice that my dude changes voice and outfit everytime I join a game....

I think thats a glitch, was getting the same problem before the last patch, now i'm not. Either that or just make sure you select your character and then join a match (not sure if that'll help, but its worth a try).

How is the shooting grenades perk/how exactly does it work?

It seems nades fly so fast I wouldn't be able to hit them mid air.

Can I shoot enemy nades?

Also has anyone figured out what the damage statistic represents? The full auto pistol has a higher rating than the revolver (higher ROF and ammo count too)... it doesn't hit harder than the revolver does it?

X-Frame

nismogrendel said:

Can I shoot enemy nades?

I don't get that either. Seems like a complete waste of an ability TBH.

Violater said:
So no word on the PS3 version guys?
gaf is letting me down
It's going great so far, the online is running much better than expected after hearing the complaints on the 360 version having entire games unplayable.

You will get about 1 or 2 lag spikes in a match, where everything will get very laggy and it turns to a slideshow, but after that it goes back to normal play.

So after playing a bit I must say that the performance is still laughably bad. I toned it all down via cfg and it still runs not as it's supposed to be looking like that (5850 + AMD quadcore). Any magic or fiddling around with VSync (disabled it) that I might have missed? Boggles the mind really. It also boots me out of the game quite often.

From what I've played I really like it a lot, so I'd definitely love to play it properly.

Danne-Danger said:
So is Aquarium borked now on all servers post-patch? I've seen it on the GAF-EU server and on one other, the hostage won't spawn.
Yeah what's up with that?

Firebrand

Hmm. I hope they fix the bug with there not being a "Back" button when customizing the face, there's just "Done". Besides it being slightly annoying having to exit customization altogether to go from face to body, if you pick a tattoo then go into the face options, you're stuck there if you regret the tattoo, there's no way to "cancel" other than force-exiting the game.

Also, uh, anyone know a good place for tattoo removals? :|

Played some heavy with minigun and... it's not very good? I got some nice ambushs against multiple people standing over an objective, but in most cases I just felt very vulnerable against SMG users.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Danne-Danger said:
So is Aquarium borked now on all servers post-patch? I've seen it on the GAF-EU server and on one other, the hostage won't spawn.

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26216

The relevant bit is (season minclients to taste)

Workaround:
bot_enable 1 = AI enabled
bot_minclients -1 = bots disabled
bot_minclients 0 = bots never spawn automatically (must be manually added); this setting also kicks all bots
bot_minclients 16 = bots spawn up to a maximum of 16

Ramirez

Well, I actually managed to get a 4v4 game going a minute ago, it was a good match, still had some pretty severe lag spikes here and there. The moment it was over though, everyone except me and 2 others peaced out and it never refilled the room with more human players, are there really that few amount of people playing?

Awesome game, but the lag, no party system, and no matchmaking is going to kill it (if it isn't already dead), which is a real shame. No game in 2011 should be having this type of lag problems with a measly 8 people.

Blizzard

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
So after playing a bit I must say that the performance is still laughably bad. I toned it all down via cfg and it still runs not as it's supposed to be looking like that (5850 + AMD quadcore). Any magic or fiddling around with VSync (disabled it) that I might have missed? Boggles the mind really. It also boots me out of the game quite often.

From what I've played I really like it a lot, so I'd definitely love to play it properly.
On the GAF server with other programs closed I get like 15-60 fps, typically in the 30-40 fps range if things are working properly. It's at least semi-playable sometimes. I'm using a 5850 and an e8400 core 2 duo 3.0 GHz.

I am, however, occasionally having the screen flash with a blue tint, then go back to normal when I move around the level. :(

nismogrendel said:

Can I shoot enemy nades?
I don't know about enemy grenades, but the way friendly grenades work is that there's auto aim, I believe. Throw a grenade, then spam your SMG in the general direction of where the grenade is bouncing on the ground. It should go off fairly quickly.

Right, good to know!
nismogrendel said:

Can I shoot enemy nades?
It's really easy to hit them, as long as they're in your reticule the game seems to hit it for you.

Pretty sure you can't shoot enemy nades, but at the same time I've seen some weird stuff happening with airborne nades since I took the perk.

Blizzard

Banned
arts&crafts said:
So i am thinking about buying this on PC, from what i gather the lag issues are only on consoles?
At least in my GAF server experience, I hardly ever feel like I'm having lag problems. Framerate is the huge issue. But maybe low framerate masks lag, or low framerate is because of lag. I don't know.

Blizzard said:
At least in my GAF server experience, I hardly ever feel like I'm having lag problems. Framerate is the huge issue. But maybe low framerate masks lag, or low framerate is because of lag. I don't know.

I think i will bite, I presume there is no demo incoming anytime soon to see what my fps is like.

Blizzard said:
On the GAF server with other programs closed I get like 15-60 fps, typically in the 30-40 fps range if things are working properly. It's at least semi-playable sometimes. I'm using a 5850 and an e8400 core 2 duo 3.0 GHz.

I am, however, occasionally having the screen flash with a blue tint, then go back to normal when I move around the level. :(
With the way it looks everything toned down it should be rock solid in any circumstance but it really dips low (seems even below 30) esp. in firefights, which is kind of not helping winning them :).

I also have the tint problem.

Animator said:
Does anyone else crash to desktop like every single game? I have a gtx 470.
Not every single time but ever so often - 5850.

syoaran

Animator said:
Does anyone else crash to desktop like every single game? I have a gtx 470.

Got a 470 here with about a month old drivers and I only crash occasionally, I dont think its a gfx issue as it happens always on a map load (the 3-4 times its happened in total).

Aquarium bug is really frustrating.

But the sound bug is what destroys the game for me at the moment. Either mid-way in the game or on certain maps, I get to hear only certain sound (environmental), but the rest of the sound is muted.
Sorry, this might have been asked before, but is this the common sound bug people were talking about earlier in the week, and if so - there a solution?

Okay, so I just finished my first online session with this game on 360 (actually, I'm just taking a quick break - I'm about to go back to it in about 20 minutes).

In a word? Fantastic. Maybe I was lucky, but I got two full-length public Stopwatch matches with very few lag issues (and as far as I could tell, I wasn't host). It's amazing how much more intense the game is when you add in the unpredictability of real human players into the mix. And in my second match, we absolutely wrecked the other team, winning on both defense and offense (Container City).

A couple of observations:

• Engineers, I know that turrets are awesome. But when the objective is to repair a crane, building turrets to guard back entrances isn't the best use of your time. The moment there is a lull in the action, jump on that crane and fix it! I shouldn't have to do it all myself and die five times in the process!
  • Rush planting is huge. I don't understand why every soldier in my team didn't rush the initial plant on Container City along with me. But because I did, and managed to kill the engineers sliding underneath to defuse it, we had the door blown inside of a minute and a half.
  • I doubted flashbangs at first, but I was wrong to doubt. They kick ASS.
  • I keep running out of supply as an engineer! I have to compulsively buff every single weapon that walks in front of me. :lol

I hope the community stays alive on 360. I've been meaning to build a PC for a while now; maybe this will push me over the edge, because I have a suspicion that the 360 community is going to die soon, but the PC contingent will stay strong for a while.

syoaran said:
But the sound bug is what destroys the game for me at the moment. Either mid-way in the game or on certain maps, I get to hear only certain sound (environmental), but the rest of the sound is muted.
Sorry, this might have been asked before, but is this the common sound bug people were talking about earlier in the week, and if so - there a solution?
Yeah, it seems to happen constantly on Refuel, I've seen it happen on one other map though I'm not sure which one, maybe Resort?

legbone

Cagen said:
Very laggy on the PS3 at the moment, hopefully it will ease up after the PSN restoration is over.

thanks for the update. did it update again? i mean besides the initial update at launch. i think 360 has had two updates so far and the second one addressed the lag. kind of in a fucked up way though since it pretty much made 4vs4 the default mode if i understand correctly. anyway, if there hasn't been a second update for psn i think i will wait until splash damage patches it. they said they had another patch for psn similar to the 2nd patch for 360.

syoaran

Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, it seems to happen constantly on Refuel, I've seen it happen on one other map though I'm not sure which one, maybe Resort?

is refuel the prision level? If so then its that one, my sound never works on that level after the patch. It's frustrating enough that the weapons and turrets don't have a distinctive sound (so I have no idea whats shooting me), but the fact that the game's doing this breaks 3 out of the 8 maps in total (with the VIP bug).

Bromeliad

Neo Member
nismogrendel said:
That is great. So the med body only has 20 more HP than light... so basically it can take one extra hit from the CARB 9?

I am going light now. It will do wonders for my slidemedicing.

Top Bottom