• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

zlatko

Banned
XeroSauce said:
I wish the radar had the map outline on it. Would make it much more useful and would bump up the UAV ability nicely.

The one thing I don't like about the radar is you don't know if a dot is someone above you or on the same level or even below you. :(

KaYotiX

Banned
Lag was horrible today, i maybe got in 5 great games out of 20 or so i tried to play. Game is pissing me off....urge to sell is rising.

Like ive said before its a awesome game when you get into that one room with no lag and everyone working as a team.

bigswords

XeroSauce said:
I wish the radar had the map outline on it. Would make it much more useful and would bump up the UAV ability nicely.

When I hit level 20 I saw the UAV ability (and flame nades, special mines, Field regen unit and somesort of scanner) but I could not find it in the abilities list, where is it?

XeroSauce

bigswords said:
When I hit level 20 I saw the UAV ability (and flame nades, special mines, Field regen unit and somesort of scanner) but I could not find it in the abilities list, where is it?

http://brink.wikia.com/wiki/Comms_Hack

It's an Operative ability that lets you "interrogate" incapped enemies for a radar.

My favourite combo was to flank a single opponent, down him, interrogate, kill with melee, and then disguise. So much more usefulness from one kill then other classes.

ameratsu

Updated impressions

- No more white squares with a 4890

- Framerate still isn't great, even with my card overclocked. Framerate drops heavily in larger areas or in intense combat.

- I have a C2Q @3ghz, 4gb ram, O/C 4890 and can't currently get this game to run steady at 60 fps at medium settings, no AA, no vsync. Maybe my card just isn't good enough.

- Server lobby doesn't lag anymore

- I can't find any games with >10 people with <100 ping. There are only a small number of servers with large numbers of players but the ping is always over 100. This is as of 15 minutes ago, for someone in Western Canada.

- Had a weird sound bug today where I could only hear ambient background noise and nothing else.

Unless by some miracle the community for this game increases in the next little while, it is dead on arrival on PC; I know saying this can lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby naysayers reduce interest in the game, causing fewer sales and therefore fewer regular players. The core game is good, but the performance issues and lack of populated low-ping servers has me regretting my day-0 purchase.

Twig

Banned
I have literally no problem finding full servers with decent pings. I'd say about 1/3 of what I see is sub-100.

ameratsu

here is a quick screencap of my server browser list. As of taking it there was one server that met my criteria above. When I was looking for games earlier there were none.

screencap

ameratsu said:
- I have a C2Q @3ghz, 4gb ram, O/C 4890 and can't currently get this game to run steady at 60 fps at medium settings, no AA, no vsync. Maybe my card just isn't good enough.
I have a 275 stock and a 720x3 at 3ghz and I average ~60 frames (more above than below), everything on low. On some maps (especially Shipyard, and I'd guess Container City as well) lowering textures will help tremendously. I play with textures on low and it doesn't bother me, I noticed before that weapons look horrendous but now I play with ui_showgun 0 so that's not bothering me, and characters seem to have high quality textures no matter what, it's not really a huge loss IMO., and maybe performance issues will be solved as it seems like AMD cards are really struggling at this point.
- I can't find any games with >10 people with <100 ping. There are only a small number of servers with large numbers of players but the ping is always over 100. This is as of 15 minutes ago, for someone in Western Canada.
This I find weird though, granted I'm in EU but I have no difficulty finding full servers below 100, or 50, or even as low as 20. Coming from QW it's been a real treat to be greeted by such low pings, it feels like the good ol' days when I played CS!

Music in the game is suddenly pleasant. It's not just good from all the sides, it is really and really wonderful, atmospheric and exciting. Love the resistance part.

teepo

The_Player said:
Music in the game is suddenly pleasant. It's not just good from all the sides, it is really and really wonderful, atmospheric and exciting. Love the resistance part.

it is surprisingly good. i was going to mention it the other day. nothing entirely catchy or memorable but it does put me in a certain mood... to resist.

ksdixon

Just started playing. Does anyone else find the controls difficult to get to grips with?
I may have missed it in the cutscene, but why is the agent switching between 'guard the agent' and 'stop the agent' in the first mission?

Zimbardo

had some great games tonight (pc version).

lag wasn't too much of an issue ...i'd say it was 90% fine.

framerate seems fine. i have 2 gtx460 cards, and SLI isn't working properly ...but with one card i'm getting 60fps in 1080p with everything maxed out aside from Ambient Occlusion, which i turned off.

game crashed on me twice in about 5 hours ...first time it was the opengl error ...2nd time it was just a game freeze with looping sound. had to restart.

couple more patches this week to iron things out, some free DLC on the horizon and we may have a winner.

the game is pretty fun.

Well that sucked a big one.
Me and a bud were doing campaign on normal difficulty. There is some kind of AI rubberbanding going on here because we were holding a position for 10+ minutes and then the AI just went berserk and 30 seconds later they won.

Nobody else was joining our game. =(

Trying light operative too. Running around is great fun but I may as well be tissue paper.

God, I was messing about with my chars again and I caught myself thinking that I'd buy a clothing pack for this (hell I'd buy a pair of Voice jeans for myself f I could!), what the hell?

Security could really go with some sleeveless jackets so I can show off my badass yakuza tattoos, and better jeans. Resistance gets all the nice stuff!

Who the hell would ever want to play as the homeless...errh I mean Resistance.

I saw some dude running around in flip-flops...FLIP-FLOPS. They all need to go to hell and die IMO.

Twig

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:

I saw some dude running around in flip-flops...FLIP-FLOPS. They all need to go to hell and die IMO.
Flip-flops made out of water bottles, though.

The problem with security is it's almost impossible to make them look ridiculous. That's why resistance wins. :3

PepsimanVsJoe said:

You're just mad cuz I'm stylin' a hard hat!

brink2011-05-1608-24-2u7uk.png

PepsimanVsJoe said:

I think Security looks much better overall - however nothing beats my resistance operative with the Dude(?) shoulder armor, cool jeans and hockey mask with dreads. Oh and some sick tattoos and dead eye scar. He looks mean as fuck.

Early security options > resistance
Late resistance options > security (bomb suit lulz)

Mik2121

Shoogoo said:
^ Ok that one look badass

It's the same FPS display as in Quake 3 :eek:
Yup. Brink uses idTech 4. That FPS display brought back the memories from back when I played Q3RA on a daily basis... :__)

Danne-Danger said:
I have a 275 stock and a 720x3 at 3ghz and I average ~60 frames (more above than below), everything on low. On some maps (especially Shipyard, and I'd guess Container City as well) lowering textures will help tremendously. I play with textures on low and it doesn't bother me, I noticed before that weapons look horrendous but now I play with ui_showgun 0 so that's not bothering me, and characters seem to have high quality textures no matter what, it's not really a huge loss IMO., and maybe performance issues will be solved as it seems like AMD cards are really struggling at this point.

This I find weird though, granted I'm in EU but I have no difficulty finding full servers below 100, or 50, or even as low as 20. Coming from QW it's been a real treat to be greeted by such low pings, it feels like the good ol' days when I played CS!

That's bullshit. All of these performance issues are preventing me from buying this game, I can run games that like 3x better than Brink at better FPS?

Get on it, Splash Damage.

Offerizer

Neo Member
I'm seriously loving this game. My hope now is that we see some patches to iron out the performance issues and that some stable good servers show up. I usually find pretty good ones in the browser but nothing favorite worthy yet (I would put the EU gaf server on my favorites but something is really weird about that server and steam).

Oh and whoever designed securities Container City spawn. Please playtest before release.

Offerizer said:
I'm seriously loving this game. My hope now is that we see some patches to iron out the performance issues and that some stable good servers show up. I usually find pretty good ones in the browser but nothing favorite worthy yet (I would put the EU gaf server on my favorites but something is really weird about that server and steam).

Oh and whoever designed securities Container City spawn. Please playtest before release.
What's wrong with the spawn? I haven't played all that much or experienced any exploits yet - but the game feels balanced so far, with some slighty lesser value/importance of the operative class.

Stripper13 said:
What's wrong with the spawn? I haven't played all that much or experienced any exploits yet - but the game feels balanced so far, with some slighty lesser value/importance of the operative class.

The spawn point is a prime position for grenade spam and it feels very easy to get contained in that area with no real chance of getting out.

Love the game possibly even more than ET: Quake Wars, but the sound bug is driving me nuts. Hopefully it's at the top of their fix list.

poserdonut said:
The spawn point is a prime position for grenade spam and it feels very easy to get contained in that area with no real chance of getting out.
We had a situation on the GAF-EU server yesterday where resistance had set up shop with at least 3 turrets outside and security hadn't gotten the charge down, we broke out and proceeded to win the map. If you push hard enough you can make it out, if they altered the spawn times a bit it wouldn't be that much of a hassle. Though it'd depend on what kind of people you're up against of course.

KaYotiX

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
You're just mad cuz I'm stylin' a hard hat!

brink2011-05-1608-24-2u7uk.png
Got the same mask but I have a full bandanna covering my head/face underneath :) looks awesome with that coat with the fur lining that I use.

KaYotiX said:
Got the same mask but I have a full bandanna covering my head/face underneath :) looks awesome with that coat with the fur lining that I use.
Mm, that jacket is nice too! Though I haven't messed with it yet, I'm kinda bothered by the guy that wears it in the cutscenes, he's doing it wrong!

I wish shoes were a separate item, and gloves... and that there were colour schemes for shirts... fix this shit SD!

Random thoughts:

- If they can smooth out the lag for 8v8 on XBL, the game will be in the 360 for quite awhile.
- When you get on a team that works as a team, regardless of skill level, its a high that I havent experienced while gaming in some time.
- Belgo(?) pistol is badass. Maybe even my favorite weapon in the game.
- My two primary builds are a Engineer/OP and a Medic/OP. Medium is completely the way to go. Heavys have a slight more amount of health, the guns are eh, and you move so slow and cant really get most places. Light is fun, but the increased speed isnt THAT much where it feels worth the health/weapon trade off from the mediums.
- Had a game where my medic had 7200 XP, next one on my team has barely over 3000 XP. Again, I know Im not that good. The 360BrinkTag needs to get more lively, responding or sending out invites.
- There isnt a bad class, each one needs to be played a very specific way, and know their roll. The amount of soldiers not handing out ammo, engineers not buffing, medics not reviving, and operatives that disguise themselves only to run straight down broadway firing away at a group of enemies is staggering.
- Lastly, when it all comes together, no lag, good balanced teams on BOTH sides.... IMO its one of the best games this gen and I will very comfortably say that. Unfortunately, while not RARE, its not commonplace either.

Ourobolus

Banned
I really wish they'd fix the labeling of objectives. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm doing something like "hack the reactor" it says I need to guard it instead. I eventually figure it out but damn does it throw me off. Anyone else get that?

Razorwind

So far map design is great, and class system is both well balanced and fun.

There are just some points which if you get to first before the other team, it almost gives you a free win once u get a turret and a few meds there. Hopefully the devs have some in-game analytics showing them where most people die/get stuck.

The final push is always super tough, as compared to days of Quake Wars or ET. Gives quite a good kick imo, but not sure if its too tough for the game's audience.

Hopefully as the crowd matures, more people start using medic adrenaline or meta boosts, coordinating consecutive molotov knockdowns, and perhaps start recognizing where are the flanking paths.

Ourobolus said:
I really wish they'd fix the labeling of objectives. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm doing something like "hack the reactor" it says I need to guard it instead. I eventually figure it out but damn does it throw me off. Anyone else get that?
Yeah, but once you learn the maps that'll go away, it's very confusing at first though.

Another thing about the labeling of objectives is that it takes up WAY too much space on the hud, there's pretty much no transparency to it and it's in the forefront, if someone is standing in front of the colourful objective marker it's almost impossible to see them. I'd love to have a way to change colour and/or transparency or disable the markings altogether. Same goes for teammate icons, though I just want to reduce the size of those. Worst part is that all of this was possible in QW and I'm pretty sure the commands are in there but locked for whatever reason. :(

f0rk

Ourobolus said:

I think it's when you're the wrong class, it means defend the guy hacking the reactor. It is pretty dumb.

I feel like I've hit a brick wall in Brink, each rank up is brining more and more misery as none of my equipment feels up to scratch against higher ranked players. If anyone could offer some advice on what I should be doing it would be appreciated.

Basically I use a medium body Medic at rank 14 but get slaughtered in any straight firefight even with full health buffs. Currently I use a Kross SMG because of the high capacity (since nobody ever refills my ammo), but it's too weak up close and doesn't have enough range - and a Euston AR which is really powerful (and the grenade launcher attachment is a godsend) but has way too much recoil unless crouched and scoped, plus I only have enough ammo for two kills.

I know I shouldn't be expecting to do everything, but quite frankly my team are almost always garbage and won't help - I need to be able to self heal, take care of objectives, eliminate enemies and hold key locations with no ammo resupplies or assistance - and I can't think of a ability/weapon setup that can cover all bases.

Razorwind said:
There are just some points which if you get to first before the other team, it almost gives you a free win once u get a turret and a few meds there. Hopefully the devs have some in-game analytics showing them where most people die/get stuck.

Containment (?) is a huge one. As soon as the match starts, you have to have a soldier bust out and get the charge on the first gate ASAP so the bot can get through. Even then, if the enemies ignore the bot once the gate is blown, they can still pin you. Between there only being two paths and the enemy team has the high ground, its more or less impossible to get out.

Azure Phoenix said:
I know I shouldn't be expecting to do everything, but quite frankly my team are almost always garbage and won't help - I need to be able to self heal, take care of objectives, eliminate enemies and hold key locations with no ammo resupplies or assistance - and I can't think of a ability/weapon setup that can cover all bases.

My last game was this last night, the one I mentioned up above. My buddy was watching and asked if my back hurt from carrying everyone. I did everything but make pancakes and pour everyone a glass of orange juice. While we won, and it felt great, if my virtual team headed back to a virtual locker room, I would have been like "Really? Really?! Ya'll cant do one single thing to make a positive impact on this team?"

zlatko

Banned
Azure Phoenix said:
I feel like I've hit a brick wall in Brink, each rank up is brining more and more misery as none of my equipment feels up to scratch against higher ranked players. If anyone could offer some advice on what I should be doing it would be appreciated.

Basically I use a medium body Medic at rank 14 but get slaughtered in any straight firefight even with full health buffs. Currently I use a Kross SMG because of the high capacity (since nobody ever refills my ammo), but it's too weak up close and doesn't have enough range - and a Euston AR which is really powerful (and the grenade launcher attachment is a godsend) but has way too much recoil unless crouched and scoped, plus I only have enough ammo for two kills.

Play on Gaf server on PC for good team mates.

If you want to level up faster, then just spend a few hours grinding against bots in co-op or solo. Max level is 20 and super easy to hit.

What have you spent your abilities on? Try to not dump into worthless shit like Ninja Feet or shooting your thrown grenades. :p

Azure Phoenix said:

What platform are you playing on?
What have you spent your abilities on? Try to not dump into worthless shit like Ninja Feet or shooting your thrown grenades. :p
Pfft! Grenade shooting is awesome shit.

Ourobolus said:

It labels it as "Guard the Door" or "Guard the ventilation system" when you are not the specific class. So it basically implies that you have to guard the spot while the ops hacks it, the soldier plants the bomb, or the engineer repairs.

NIN90

serotonina said:
It labels it as "Guard the Door" or "Guard the ventilation system" when you are not the specific class. So it basically implies that you have to guard the spot while the ops hacks it, the soldier plants the bomb, or the engineer repairs.

..or they don't. :>

zlatko said:
Universal: Battle Hardened, Supply Max Increase, Combat Intuition, Sprinting Reload, Resupply Rate Increase
Medic: Increase Supplies, Improved Increase Supplies, Metabolism

I've also got about 5 points spare so that I can grab the Life Buff, Self Resurrection, Downed Fire and Lazarus Grenade when unlocked.

Danne-Danger said:
What platform are you playing on?

NIN90

Danne-Danger said:
NIN! What pistol are you using with what mods? I haven't seen one as beastly as yours, unless you're just insanely good with the Sea Eagle?

Kalt Pistol with muzzle break, speed holster and rapid fire. I love that pistol.

syoaran

NIN90 said:
..or they don't. :>

haha yeah. Gone and spent most of my points in engi, since its the class that a lot of people pick but don't read the objectives for. Lots of paths/secondary objectives are are easy to score with.

Top Bottom