• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

legbone said:
thanks for the update. did it update again? i mean besides the initial update at launch. i think 360 has had two updates so far and the second one addressed the lag. kind of in a fucked up way though since it pretty much made 4vs4 the default mode if i understand correctly. anyway, if there hasn't been a second update for psn i think i will wait until splash damage patches it. they said they had another patch for psn similar to the 2nd patch for 360.
No second patch yet for the PS3, but I'm having a great online experience with minimal lag regardless, I guess it's mostly luck.

Cagen

legbone said:
thanks for the update. did it update again? i mean besides the initial update at launch. i think 360 has had two updates so far and the second one addressed the lag. kind of in a fucked up way though since it pretty much made 4vs4 the default mode if i understand correctly. anyway, if there hasn't been a second update for psn i think i will wait until splash damage patches it. they said they had another patch for psn similar to the 2nd patch for 360.

only the initial update when i got the game, no further updates after PSN was restored.

Zimbardo

after about 2 hours of play last night i got the opengl disconnect from video driver error. also 1 time the sound dropped out almost completely. could hear the odd sound, but for the most part there was no sound until the next match.

still, its better than it was the night it was released. lag has improved, tho its not completely perfect. SLI getting fixed would be nice.

hopefully these things get fixed soon anyway. they've been fixing stuff faster than i expected really.

Beats

I played some matches on PS3, and was surprised to see my matches filled with actual people. There were only maybe two or three times where there were severe lag spikes/slideshows out of about 10 matches for me but they only lasted a few seconds. I'll have to play a bit more though before saying there aren't a lot of lag spikes.

divisionbyzorro said:
I keep running out of supply as an engineer! I have to compulsively buff every single weapon that walks in front of me. :lol

Same here. I got the kevlar ability too so I lose supplies even faster now haha.

Raide

Whats everyone's thoughts on making Scavenge a Universal perk and giving Soldiers a Bonus to Scavenge? Seems like a handy ability for all classes, plus it would cut out those moments where you're just hanging around waiting for supplies to come back.

X-Frame

What level do you have to be to unlock the Rank 4 and 5 abilities?

I'm waiting to get the last 3 abilities for my Engineer and I just hit Level 14 this morning.

Raide said:
Whats everyone's thoughts on making Scavenge a Universal perk and giving Soldiers a Bonus to Scavenge? Seems like a handy ability for all classes, plus it would cut out those moments where you're just hanging around waiting for supplies to come back.
I don't know about that... could be handy, I guess.

One thing that really has me confused is why the supply sharing perk is on the medic, who is he going to give supplies to? No one needs supplies more than the medic, and no one has tasks as important as the medic does. If a medic ever gave me (a soldier) supplies I think I'd rage, maybe he can give to the engie in very specific situations, but really 99% of the time those supplies are much more valuable on a medic. If one medic gave to another medic I'd be alright with it.

IMO that perk should be on another class, maybe let the operative have it so he can be useful outside of objectives. The soldier is a good candidate as well as he already functions as a "resupplier" and has access to scavenge, people don't need ammo that much so most of his energy goes to grenades/molotovs anyway.

Anyone having the issue on 360 today of like....emptying out thousands upon thousands of clips on someone and very routinely NOT taking the down, yet on the other side of that coin, rolling around with health boost, kevlar and ammo piercing rounds and getting insta-gib'd every single time from every single person every single time. Yes, salty, but the last few rounds have made me go from loving this game to taking a breather to not snap the disc in half. Not even taking damage to duck behind cover, just flat out GOING DOWN AND GOING DOWN HARD.

NIN90 said:
Operative is way useless except for completing objectives.
It's a shame too, as they were pretty useful in Wolf: ET... had explosive charges (Rank 5 ability in Brink it looks like), automatic sniper rifle if I recall, and could go through enemy doors while disguised.

In Brink I have found operatives useful once or twice for disguising myself when trying to grab the briefcase from a heavily guarded area and then high-tailing it out of there, but that's about it.

TheApatheticOne said:
Anyone having the issue on 360 today of like....emptying out thousands upon thousands of clips on someone and very routinely NOT taking the down, yet on the other side of that coin, rolling around with health boost, kevlar and ammo piercing rounds and getting insta-gib'd every single time from every single person every single time. Yes, salty, but the last few rounds have made me go from loving this game to taking a breather to not snap the disc in half. Not even taking damage to duck behind cover, just flat out GOING DOWN AND GOING DOWN HARD.
Bots or humans taking you down? Bots can be pretty ridiculous sometimes, when they're not just you know, standing around doing nothing in the middle of a firefight.

zlatko

Banned
TheApatheticOne said:

Bots can 2-3 shot you no problem and on Hard are set to soak up bullets by the thousands.

Set them to normal, because the higher your level goes the more of a headache they are on hard and not in a challenging way, but just a fuck this broken shit way.

If it's real people, then maybe they had that medic buff to be invincible, kevlar, both command posts, heavy body, and were using a sniper rifle to dome shot you?

Console kids!!! Medics dont medic, Engineers dont engineer! People running around like chickens without a head, "get me up!, get me up, I need to remove the hack box. I'm the only Engineer." They walk right by you their health is boosted why do they give a fuck.

Why are you on operative on a mission where we are defending!? Fuck!!!!

zlatko

Banned
Anerythristic said:
Console kids!!! Medics dont medic, Engineers dont engineer! People running around like chickens without a head, "get me up!, get me up, I need to remove the hack box. I'm the only Engineer." They walk right by you their health is boosted why do they give a fuck.

Why are you on operative on a mission where we are defending!? Fuck!!!!

Caltrops > all other forms of defense.

f0rk

NIN90 said:
Operative is way useless except for completing objectives.

I disagree. The grenades and the radar hack are both useful. I don't understand how the stick bomb works half the time though, does it only blow up when someone steps on it? It seems to do a lot of damage and I get kills after I've ran off all the time. The disguise isn't incorporated into the UI very well, do I lose it when I raise the gun up again?
I've been playing as light with the Carb-9 and Sea Eagle.

NIN90

f0rk said:
I disagree. The grenades and the radar hack are both useful. I don't understand how the stick bomb works half the time though, does it only blow up when someone steps on it? It seems to do a lot of damage and I get kills after I've ran off all the time. The disguise isn't incorporated into the UI very well, do I lose it when I raise the gun up again?

What I really don't like is how Operatives can't do anything besides disguising unless you spent points into that class. Every other class can do atleast 2 useful things without spending any points.

f0rk

NIN90 said:
What I really don't like is how Operatives can't do anything besides disguising unless you spent points into that class. Every other class can do atleast 2 useful things without spending any points.

Yeah that's fair enough. I've been putting most of my points in there and universal because I'm too lazy to give over people hand outs a lot of the time and when I need to switch for objectives they work fine anyway like you said.

f0rk said:
The level 20 EMP grenade is good for giving your team a minor advantage on defense, other than that it really doesn't offer anything significant to the team IMO, but then I never use the radar anyway. Caltrops could be fun to use I guess, but I don't think it even slows people like it did in TFC.

The sticky will stick to people, I think it gets stuck on them if they step on it, but it's still on a (long) timer and if they have a teammate nearby they can take it off so it does zero damage. I don't see why you'd use it instead of just cooking/shooting a nade so it blows up in someones face.

Someone said before that you'll loose your disguise when you bring your hands out for anything (hacking/nades/weapon/you name it), don't know if that's true though, but you should loose it for bringing up your weapon.

Sanic

NIN90 said:
I just realised that I never look at the radar. All vital information is on the screen anyway.

It's not just you. I have literally never looked at the radar once during play.

f0rk

NIN90 said:
I just realised that I never look at the radar. All vital information is on the screen anyway.

That's why you don't like Operative! Try one point in the radar hack and it tells you where everyone is; it takes some getting used to though as the radar doesn't have a map on it.

Danne-Danger said:
The level 20 EMP grenade is good for giving your team a minor advantage on defense, other than that it really doesn't offer anything significant to the team IMO, but then I never use the radar anyway. Caltrops could be fun to use I guess, but I don't think it even slows people like it did in TFC.

I haven't got the EMP yet but I'm looking forward to it, turrets are annoying to take out. Mines as well - does it disable them? Can you hack an EMPd turret?

This is some sort of glitch on Container City, someone managed to get outside the map and shoot people. Could see where the bullets were coming from, but shooting back did nothing.

I'm hoping word of mouth for this game is strong as it deserves every sale it can get at this point. Single player is shit of course - but the AI in MP is great. I'm really enjoying lag free 4v4 matches with bots - in many ways I prefer them due to their selfless medic runs and constant buffing teammates over themselves. Of course, they're no way near is as good as they should be at defending or taking an objective - in fact many times I feel like it's down to me and the other humans to do everything related to the main objectives while the bots squabble over a command post for 10 minutes.

I bought the game day one and persisted through the lag fest still enjoying what I managed to play. I had a friend who was interested come round to check the game out and he basically said 'pass' after he seen the lag and graphics. A few days later and he went out and bought it because he felt like something new and vowed to do a 7 day return on it. He played for about 3 hours last night and loves the game - and is likely to keep it (provided the game doesn't shit itself or run out of fun in the next week). This prompted another friend to buy it (whereby the game was sold out at EBgames), and he spent no less than 2 hours just going through customization options and abilities before playing the challenges.

I have two characters at the moment - one is a medium solider/operative and the other is a light medic. I find the medium far more effective due to similar parkour and speed, and being able to use an AR/SMG or shotgun/SMG combo. My friend is using a heavy engineer and is extremely effective. I don't think we have lost a 'defend this xxxxx' objective yet, even the easy to take ones such as the first door on container city. A quick weapon buff, I give him extra mag ammo boost, he sets up a medium turret nearby and/or mines and then proceeds to cut down waves of enemies approaching the objective with a Gatling gun. I tend to go for a command post or move around and clean up anyone who manages to escape or get too close to the objective.

Seriously good game - I hope it sells well and gets a persistent userbase, I'd hate for it to just disappear in a few weeks and for full matches to turn into a bitch.

I use the sticky bomb as a mine for objectives. If a lucky person gets through but doesn't have assistance, he won't get far. Turret hack is also pretty good. I'm still deciding what ops skills I can drop so I can have a Soldier/Operative.

It's a fine team based shooter and I enjoyed (for the most part) my run up to rank 4 but after going through all the campaign and most of the challenges I feel I've hit a wall. A connection wall. I've crummy internet and every match with more than 3 other people is unplayable for me. After the flawless experience of the Gears3 beta it's hard to go back. I'll be trading this towards LA Noir.

zlatko

Banned
Captain Fish said:
I use the sticky bomb as a mine for objectives. If a lucky person gets through but doesn't have assistance, he won't get far. Turret hack is also pretty good. I'm still deciding what ops skills I can drop so I can have a Soldier/Operative.

Firewall command post is shit. So don't use that one.

Caltrops is the best. Emp grenades are god like. Hacking and manually controlling other turrets is also good on various maps. Having a team mate set up a gatling turret for you in a spot so you can manually control it to rain death on people like the MG nests do, but without getting shot is nifty.

The UAV ability is a toss up. Takes a bit long to use on dead bodies, and no one really uses radar so it's meh. Sticky Grenade is alright, but I'd rather save my pips for Caltrops and Emps as well as regular frags.

Ourobolus

Banned
Is there something I'm missing with the Tough as Nails achievement (Steam)? I don't want to play with bots on hard, but the other option is to do campaign online w/ versus. However, choosing a campaign mission makes the selection for Versus grayed out.

I played through each map as both sides via the Freeplay/online way (where it actually lets me select Versus), but I didn't get the achievement. Any ideas?

bigswords

Ourobolus said:
Is there something I'm missing with the Tough as Nails achievement (Steam)? I don't want to play with bots on hard, but the other option is to do campaign online w/ versus. However, choosing a campaign mission makes the selection for Versus grayed out.

I played through each map as both sides via the Freeplay/online way (where it actually lets me select Versus), but I didn't get the achievement. Any ideas?

Allow - Everyone ability to join your game to be able to select Versus. Well that's on the 360 version.

Easy 1 k achievements and thankfully most of them can be done on the private servers. Problem XBLA Asia has 0 patches still.

zlatko said:
Having a team mate set up a gatling turret for you in a spot so you can manually control it to rain death on people like the MG nests do, but without getting shot is nifty.
That's the thing though, it's "nifty", the turret will shoot people even if you're not there, you have to wait for people to come to the turret rather than you finding the enemies and I doubt it dishes out more damage than a CARB, but maybe it does, I haven't tried.

A lot of the operative abilities are "nifty" in my eyes. As a soldier with upgraded nades one regular grenade will take 2/3 of health from a (I think) medium turret, at half health it's disabled until repaired, that, IMO is a better deal than you get with the EMP. Though granted you have to wait for the nade cooldown again but the good news is that if there are enemies around the turret they'll have more things to worry about than their radar being scrambled temporarily. Its real use is slowing down charges and hacks, but my opinion is that you're better off playing as an engineer then, going for the disarm.

Hack turret is neat, but turrets aren't that great to begin with from what I've seen, and it's pretty likely to be pointing the wrong way, no? Is it even permanent? Can the engineer who constructed it flat out destroy it by placing another turret? I don't think I've encountered a hacked turret yet.

Homing beacon is nice for the whole team, I don't use iron sights at all though, and once you are aiming at someone they should be dead withing a few moments anyway!

Sticky bomb is a "fun thing" if it works, but it's a grenade that can be countered. Again, I wouldn't use them over regular nades.

Cortex bomb is probably also fun but you need to die for it to work, which isn't ideal. Good for clearing objective rooms though I reckon, but the automated spotting systems seems to call them out pretty well.

I haven't seen/noticed firewall being used so I don't really know how effective that is.

Spotting mines is pretty neat, but a "battle hardened" light will survive a mine blast, so they're not that huge of an issue. But it's a good thing if they spot mines, I haven't seen a spotted mine so far though. And it's not a perk!

Caltrops is probably the one perk I'd consider to be actually useful, they'll deter enemies from approaching and is great for ambushes (since I guess you get a damage indicator when people step on them?). And they have an advantage over mines since you don't have to expose yourself in order to get them out.

Compare this to putting out two landmines, getting 5 supply pips regular, insane grenades, scavenge, turrets, health/ammo/weapon buffs and I can't help but feel that operatives are a waste of a slot unless there's hacking to be done. I just don't think it's balanced compared to the other classes, it has a lot of situational stuff that isn't that useful to begin with.

*"waste of a slot" is a bit harsh, but you know what I'm getting at. I could see myself using almost all of the soldier/medic/engi abilities, I can see myself using one operative ability, and in that case I won't have a buff to dish out.

**Haha, I think the "time played" is a bit buggy, unless I spent 17 hours playing Brink in the last 3 hours.

I'm still stuck on the medium body type. I just can't give up the AR/SMG combo that I get with the medium, and the speed just isn't worth the drop in health and the weaker weapons. I'm also addicted to the Grenade Launcher; I can't imagine using grenades any other way! I can instantly stop an entire squad right in their tracks at the drop of a hat, and I can only imagine how much better it will be when my Soldier gets his grenade upgrades.

I've stuck to my Engineer/Soldier combo, and it's been really rewarding so far. I just have one question: which skill should I spend my extra point on: Scavenge, or Gear Head?

Proven

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm still stuck on the medium body type. I just can't give up the AR/SMG combo that I get with the medium, and the speed just isn't worth the drop in health and the weaker weapons. I'm also addicted to the Grenade Launcher; I can't imagine using grenades any other way! I can instantly stop an entire squad right in their tracks at the drop of a hat, and I can only imagine how much better it will be when my Soldier gets his grenade upgrades.

I've stuck to my Engineer/Soldier combo, and it's been really rewarding so far. I just have one question: which skill should I spend my extra point on: Scavenge, or Gear Head?
I love Scavenge. After every battle you get to refill your bar, allowing you to refill your ammo and the ammo of the whole team very easily. Or you can use it to restock your grenade abilities. Your choice.

Ourobolus

Banned
bigswords said:
Allow - Everyone ability to join your game to be able to select Versus. Well that's on the 360 version.

Easy 1 k achievements and thankfully most of them can be done on the private servers. Problem XBLA Asia has 0 patches still.
Ok, but where is this "allow" option? All I see is public/private, and I've done every level with it set to "public," and I don't have the option to select versus unless I make my own freeplay match. Again, I did every level that way too, so I don't know what option you are talking about.

STEAM, not 360.

bigswords

Ourobolus said:
Ok, but where is this "allow" option? All I see is public/private, and I've done every level with it set to "public," and I don't have the option to select versus unless I make my own freeplay match. Again, I did every level that way too, so I don't know what option you are talking about.

STEAM, not 360.

For the 360 version, we select the Campaign option and there's a visibility mode on the top where you can select from "invite only" , "friends" and "Everyone". Selecting the option Everyone can select the game mode to Versus mode instead of co-op.

Top Bottom