• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Teknoman

Twig said:
Normally I don't give a shit about lobbies, but it'd be nice to at least be able to set up a fireteam with my friends BEFORE we jump onto a server and get stuck on opposite teams.

Yeah fireteams should be able to be set before the round starts.

I'm really curious as to why Brink is not available in the UK via Steam.

I can't help but think there must be some publisher shenangans going on, but I can't understand why anyone would not want their product on sale in what is still a fairly major market for PC games, on the best PC games distribution service.

Shoogoo

Twig said:
Normally I don't give a shit about lobbies, but it'd be nice to at least be able to set up a fireteam with my friends BEFORE we jump onto a server and get stuck on opposite teams.

Get stuck? As in, you can't do shit about it?

... :O

Raide

Teknoman said:
Yeah fireteams should be able to be set before the round starts.

I would have thought that just having an Xbox Live Party would be enough to just let you click a button and make that your Fireteam before you join any games. Even if its not a visual lobby, it would be handy to do this kind of stuff.

charsace

So AR's can actually be good. They do more headshot damage than smg's. At least that's what it seems like to me. I use the Euston with some mods as my back up for my heavy and it is a damn good when you headshot with it. Two bursts to the head can take down Medium skins no problem.

Shoogoo

Raide said:
I would have thought that just having an Xbox Live Party would be enough to just let you click a button and make that your Fireteam before you join any games. Even if its not a visual lobby, it would be handy to do this kind of stuff.

So it doesn't?

This is surreal. What?

Raide said:
You can't even join your friends/party members in the menu of the game or the xbox guide anyways. You have to receive an invite in order to join another persons match. Even then, that doesn't guarantee you will be on the same team, or on a lag free server, or a match without bots.
Shoogoo said:
So it doesn't?

This is surreal. What?
No, there is no party system in Brink and the only way to join a friends game, is if your friend invites you.

ARs do more damage in general than SMGs, so they obviously do more damage when they get a headshot. The problem is that their damage is still fairly close to SMGs and they have significantly less ammo and their only benefit other than slightly increased damage is a longer range before their damage falls off, but Brink isn't really all that long range of a game to begin with so it doesn't even matter.

Raide

Shoogoo said:
So it doesn't?

This is surreal. What?

Not actually tested if this actually works. People I have talked to complained about having to send out invites to get the Fireteam sorted but it has to be done within a game. Sounds a little odd to me.

If anyone fancies testing it via Live Party and then Fireteam, I will be on shortly (360)

MrNyarlathotep said:
I'm really curious as to why Brink is not available in the UK via Steam.

I can't help but think there must be some publisher shenangans going on, but I can't understand why anyone would not want their product on sale in what is still a fairly major market for PC games, on the best PC games distribution service.

It was on there, it's where I pre-ordered from. It was removed later on Friday I think.

So are the AMD 4xxx card issues that I heard about fixed? I got the game last week but have been too busy too install it yet - going to tonight though and would prefer it if it was perfect.

Baloonatic said:
It was on there, it's where I pre-ordered from. It was removed later on Friday I think.

Yeah, it was - I was refreshing the page midnight onwards last thursday so I could install and activate my d2d purchase.

That just makes its disappearance more mysterious.

f0rk

I NEED SCISSORS said:
So are the AMD 4xxx card issues that I heard about fixed? I got the game last week but have been too busy too install it yet - going to tonight though and would prefer it if it was perfect.

Yes runs pretty good for me now.

Raide

Just tried the party stuff and it is pretty odd.

Started an Xbox Live Party and booted the game.
Started a Private game but had 2 human slots available.
Once the game starts, you end up in a warmup lobby.
From the menu, you can send out invites to those in your party.
Once the match starts, you can convert to the same FireTeam and swap sides (If you end up on odd sides)

Seemed to work ok but not as simple as it could be. They should give players the option to start an Xbox Live Party and then have that show in the Brink menu's, like the Dashboard menu does.

Raide said:
Just tried the party stuff and it is pretty odd.

Started an Xbox Live Party and booted the game.
Started a Private game but had 2 human slots available.
Once the game starts, you end up in a warmup lobby.
From the menu, you can send out invites to those in your party.
Once the match starts, you can convert to the same FireTeam and swap sides (If you end up on odd sides)

Seemed to work ok but not as simple as it could be. They should give players the option to start an Xbox Live Party and then have that show in the Brink menu's, like the Dashboard menu does.

You can't convert from a private to a public match though. So unless you have a ton of people on your friends list to invite in, you're screwed, except if you want to play with bots.

Raide

Darkshier said:
You can't convert from a private to a public match though. So unless you have a ton of people on your friends list to invite in, you're screwed, except if you want to play with bots.

Ahh, that is annoying.

It took me a few goes to get it sorted, so its not streamlined at all, even if you just want a few people versus bots.

Teknoman

I NEED SCISSORS said:

No grid lines, runs alot better than launch, but performance is still not ideal.

Raide said:
Ahh, that is annoying.

It took me a few goes to get it sorted, so its not streamlined at all, even if you just want a few people versus bots.
easiest way I've found is to invite everyone to a party, then start a game, and hit Invite Xbox Live Party. That way if someone wants to check their unlocks after a game, you can end the game and invite everyone back

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I still get some screwed up text every now and then, but I can play.

Sound bug is still really annoying...

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The grid issue is fixed, but performance is worse for me (4870).

Raide

thezerofire said:
easiest way I've found is to invite everyone to a party, then start a game, and hit Invite Xbox Live Party. That way if someone wants to check their unlocks after a game, you can end the game and invite everyone back

Considering the developers past games, it seems a little complicated just to do party stuff. It does seem that they have in-game lobbies instead of pre-match lobbies.

X-Frame

Holy SOUND BUG Batman (360).

I tried listening to my iPod while I was playing and so often would it annoyingly crap out and stuff during gameplay. Made it very annoying and almost hurt my ears. Didn't really notice it when I didn't listen to music but I'm sure it was there.

Raide

X-Frame said:
Holy SOUND BUG Batman (360).

I tried listening to my iPod while I was playing and so often would it annoyingly crap out and stuff during gameplay. Made it very annoying and almost hurt my ears. Didn't really notice it when I didn't listen to music but I'm sure it was there.

Is it as bad as the early Rainbow Six Vegas ones?

Ketch

Has anyone figured out how to add a server to your favorites on PC yet? The two big things keeping me from playing more are how hard it is to get into a match with friends (need to look up the GAF servers IP every time before booting it up) and the lack of in game voice chat (rebound to E key, but don't think its working).

I would really like to play more but without friends and a way to coordinate with them its just a hassle.

Sanic

If you find a server in the (in-game) server browser, you can favorite it from there, and then sort by favorites. But as far as i'm aware, there's no other way to favorite a server.

bdrob

When you quit to the server browser you can star the server you were just on.

Click on the far left column of the server line you like and voila!

I dislike this game, it stole my weekend :(

EasyTGT said:
Has anyone figured out how to add a server to your favorites on PC yet? The two big things keeping me from playing more are how hard it is to get into a match with friends (need to look up the GAF servers IP every time before booting it up) and the lack of in game voice chat (rebound to E key, but don't think its working).

I would really like to play more but without friends and a way to coordinate with them its just a hassle.
VOIP is only on in certain gametype, like advanced. In a regular standard, objective game, you have to form a fireteam to voice chat with someone. Not sure what settings the GAF server is running, but that might be why nobody is talking.

Sanic

Darkshier said:
VOIP is only on in certain gametype, like advanced. In a regular standard, objective game, you have to form a fireteam to voice chat with someone. Not sure what settings the GAF server is running, but that might be why nobody is talking.

I enabled the cvar to allow global voice chatting, but I have no idea if it actually works or not, since a lot of the cvars are disabled and I haven't been on the server since to check.

FLEABttn

Banned
The PS3 version doesn't seem to have an online community worth a damn. I've been playing the last hour and I've had maybe one round where 4 people including myself weren't bots.

I want a game option where the matchmaking works to find actual people instead of trying for 10 seconds, giving up, and then throwing 15 bots at you.

FLEABttn said:
The PS3 version doesn't seem to have an online community worth a damn. I've been playing the last hour and I've had maybe one round where 4 people including myself weren't bots.

I want a game option where the matchmaking works to find actual people instead of trying for 10 seconds, giving up, and then throwing 15 bots at you.
Completely agree. The matchmaking in this game is terribad. Having an option to search for games without bots, or even having the option to host one yourself, would be great. I hate how you can't do something as basic as creating your own public match in Brink on consoles.

soultron

Banned
Darkshier said:
Completely agree. The matchmaking in this game is terribad. Having an option to search for games without bots, or even having the option to host one yourself, would be great. I hate how you can't do something as basic as creating your own public match in Brink on consoles.
I just want a way to play 8v8 with no bots and reduced lag on consoles. That's it, really.

Concept17 said:
It seems the Catalyst hotfix is out for 11.5a. Suppose to fix poor performance for single-gpu ATI users.

I'm about to test them out right now.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344484

Made a huge differance for me aswell. i had to turn off the good old vsync+triple buffer to get a smooth game going, in addition to turning off moany effects.

After the new drivers i can have nost things on, HBAO being the main fps drain, and vsync+triple buffer and get a pretty stable 60 fps with sin dips for a secound when things get crazy.

well worth the try if you are having issues.

im on a 5780

FLEABttn said:

I'm speculating that it will take a week or so for the community to get up to speed on the PS3, what with the outage, etc.

The games I've taken part in on the 360 just keep getting better and better as people get comfortable with the game.

Give it some time, sir.

soultron said:
I just want a way to play 8v8 with no bots and reduced lag on consoles. That's it, really.
Instead, we get 4 vs 4 (sure we have big team list but still), lag, all the bots you can handle, no party system, definitely no clan support (lol for a competitive shooter) and no way to actually host your own match. This is a 2011 game with 2003 features.

Twig

Banned
Shoogoo said:
Get stuck? As in, you can't do shit about it?

... :O
You can switch, but only if teams are uneven. There's no way to create a fireteam with someone on the opposite team.

NIN90 said:
I'm sorry I can't hear over the sound of how awesome Brink on PC is.
Except for a few niggling issues... Yep.

NIN90

Mr. Snrub said:
$50 worth it, or wait for a sale worth it? Gah, the internal struggle...!

Do you like class-based shooters? Yes? Get it while it's hot. This is the best class-based shooter on the market right now, imo.
BTW you can get steam keys for this game for like 50% off so that's already a sale price!

Mr. Snrub said:
$50 worth it, or wait for a sale worth it? Gah, the internal struggle...!
PC yes, consoles no. PC just has more features, runs better, and has much quicker access to newly released patches. Not to mention all those delicious cvars one could toy with. Console version though, stay away, far away.

dork

Banned
Im having some fun so far on Pc. Was probably worth the 39$ I payed for it. Definitely wouldnt have paid a dime more though.

So far its fun, havent unlocked anything yet only a level 3. But the gameplay is pretty good

NIN90 said:
Do you like class-based shooters? Yes? Get it while it's hot. This is the best class-based shooter on the market right now, imo.
BTW you can get steam keys for this game for like 50% off so that's already a sale price!

Where where WHERE

Yeah, this game does seem to be dying already on consoles.

Or not. Who knows? With matchmaking this shitty, millions could be playing and I'd still get stuck in a game with bots. I need to get on that new PC ASAP.

Top Bottom