• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

NIN90 said:
Kalt Pistol with muzzle break, speed holster and rapid fire. I love that pistol.
Yeah I suspected that, I can't hit heads nearly as well as you can with it though. The fire rate is insane even without the rapid fire (it's like you're shooting two shots with every one, and FASTER than that with rapid!) and it does more damage than the Tokamak... for me its a tough choice between that and the Sea Eagle, as I do most of my killing with the CARB, once/if they add crosshairs while zoomed with ui_showgun 0 I'll probably settle for the Eagle, such a fun pistol!

So many fun guns!

So did everybody else spend their first four points the same way I did? Battle Hardened, Supply Max Increase, Combat Intuition, and Sprinting Reload. I honestly can't imagine playing this game without those four abilities, especially the Combat Intuition.

Here's how I'm built right now (level 13), and it seems to be working pretty well for me:

Universal: Battle Hardened, Supply Max Increase, Combat Intuition, Sprinting Reload, Resupply Rate Increase
Soldier: Armor Piercing Ammo, Flashbang Grenades, Grenade Mastery, Kevlar Vest
Engineer: Extra Kevlar, Light Turret, Command Post Upgrade, Medium Turret
Primary Weapon: Euston AR, Muzzle Break, D-Flex Sight, Grenade Launcher, High-Capacity Magazine
Secondary Weapon: Galactic SMG, Muzzle Break, D-Flex Sight, Speed Sling, SMG Drum Magazine

TheApatheticOne said:
Whats your gamer tag? Id love to proactively get a group of us going to communicate and what not. My GT is TheApatheticOne.

I saw you on yesterday, but you were idle on the dashboard when I was playing multiplayer. I'd definitely be up for playing together sometime too.

Shoogoo

I just got the game.

How should I start?

- Unlocking stuff.
- Campaign with my low-leveled character so that it's not too hard.
- ???

Raide

Shoogoo said:
I just got the game.

How should I start?

- Unlocking stuff.
- Campaign with my low-leveled character so that it's not too hard.
- ???

As you unlock stuff and level up, the A.I will start to use that stuff against you. Which can make the later missions really annoying. I would say fire into the Campaign to unlock all the outfits, then start working through the challenges to unlock the weapons and attachments you want. Then you have MP to dive into.

divisionbyzorro said:
So did everybody else spend their first four points the same way I did? Battle Hardened, Supply Max Increase, Combat Intuition, and Sprinting Reload. I honestly can't imagine playing this game without those four abilities, especially the Combat Intuition.

Here's how I'm built right now (level 13), and it seems to be working pretty well for me:

Universal: Battle Hardened, Supply Max Increase, Combat Intuition, Sprinting Reload, Resupply Rate Increase
Soldier: Armor Piercing Ammo, Flashbang Grenades, Grenade Mastery, Kevlar Vest
Engineer: Extra Kevlar, Light Turret, Command Post Upgrade, Medium Turret
Primary Weapon: Euston AR, Muzzle Break, D-Flex Sight, Grenade Launcher, High-Capacity Magazine
Secondary Weapon: Galactic SMG, Muzzle Break, D-Flex Sight, Speed Sling, SMG Drum Magazine

I saw you on yesterday, but you were idle on the dashboard when I was playing multiplayer. I'd definitely be up for playing together sometime too.
Yeah I can't live without putting a lot of points in universal as well.

Universal: Grenade Shooting, Battle Hardened, Supply Max Increase, Combat Intuition, Sprinting Grenade, Sprinting Reload, Resupply Rate Increase

Soldier: Armor Piercing Ammo, Grenade Mastery, Scavenge, Kevlar Vest, Extra Magazine, Frag Blast, Grenade Damage (flashbang uses energy I don't have, if I could switch it for the molotov I would)

Engie: Gearhead, Improved Weapon Buff, Extra Landmine

Which leaves me with 3 points to spend, I'm looking at Satchel Charges or Gatling Turret. On the one hand Satchel Charges would be nice, but I'm having trouble managing my supply as it is, Gatling Turret is a 3 point investment for something that could be pretty good/fun... I don't feel like parting with any of the abilities I have either, and I feel like I'll stick to soldier for the most part, but with the Gatling Turret I'd be a pretty formidable engie when I want to, I feel his strength is to be at many places at once, and the turret is a vital part of that.

Things I could part with is Combat Intuition, as you get better it gets less useful, still very handy for ramboing/spotting disguises though (not that it happens often), Kevlar Vest could be unnecessary as I've been buffed with kevlar quite a lot anyway, but It's essentially an extra health pip (well, half of one) when fighting anything but soldiers with piercing, and I have that too... extra mag isn’t that good, but it saves some energy… The rest I feel are very good that come in use very often/constantly, tough stuff this! I could also go for a improved medic buff with all the extra supply, but I feel an engie will be more fun, especially with two mines. Or I could just skip the turret and go for a decent medic and a decent engie along with a godly soldier...

divisionbyzorro said:

Yeah, saw you on, just kept getting pulled away for various reasons. Definitely will start trying to get a solid group together soon.

Mad_Ban

Hey guys.

Does anyone want the Spec Ops Pack and Doom Pack for the PC version? FWIW they're for the UK PC version.

First to quote gets them in a PM. :)

Sanic

BattleMonkey said:
So hows it run on PC? Servers right? Doesn't have the lag issues that the console players keep talking about? Hows the playerbase size look?

Yep, servers. No lag issues if you're playing on a decent host. As for playerbase, it's the 9th most populated game on Steam right now, and FWIW the amount of servers has doubled over the last couple days.

Raide

Pandoracell said:
Yep, servers. No lag issues if you're playing on a decent host. As for playerbase, it's the 9th most populated game on Steam right now, and FWIW the amount of servers has doubled over the last couple days.

If the developers keep sorting out the issues quickly, it should do well.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone confirm the legitimacy of this comic (as in, as an ATI user, will I be fucked over performance-wise)?

i-WxjDs2x-L.jpg

Klorox33

Neo Member
ahoyhoy said:
Can someone confirm the legitimacy of this comic (as in, as an ATI user, will I be fucked over performance-wise)?

I have a 6850 ATI and have been doing fine. The sound bug is really bad tho.

ahoyhoy said:

[]http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-WxjDs2x/0/XL/i-WxjDs2x-L.jpg[/]

Funny, cause I had the exact same problem lol, it was a HD4xxx and 3xxx problem.

But to answer your question, it was fixed in the latest patch.

Klorox33 said:
ahoyhoy said:

I have a 6850 ATI and have been doing fine. The sound bug is really bad tho.
I have a 5850, and while the game doesn't scream along at 150 fps, it's still quite playable. I'm not maxing out the graphics options though.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So is there no issue inherent to ATI cards, just with a few specific cards?

Like, for instance, I would be upset if my new 6950 couldn't handle the game, but I know how some games don't play nice with ATI cards and cause graphical glitches/stuttering to occur.

Anybody been using the noob toob attachments much? I'm thinking about retooling my soldier as a Medium and using an AR with nade launcher. Do your grenade abilities still apply while using the launcher?

I'll probably get rocked by some of the members here, but I don't give a shit. I'm not here to "buddy-buddy" with anyone on this forum. There's a reason for the rumors & speculation that ATI/AMD radeon drivers have always been less than stellar. There is some truth to that comic. Then again, BRINK was a piece of shit from the start that was not tested accordingly, so I'll leave it at that.

PoweredBySoy said:
Anybody been using the noob toob attachments much? I'm thinking about retooling my soldier as a Medium and using an AR with nade launcher. Do your grenade abilities still apply while using the launcher?

I absolutely adore the GL; if you run around with your AR as your main weapon, you can twitch-fire a grenade and immediately drop an entire squad of baddies.

Raide

PoweredBySoy said:

Some do and some don't. Check the description and it will tell you if they apply to normal Grenades and Grenade Launcher rounds.

I have been using it on my Soldier class and love it. Between Flash Grenades, Molotov's and Noob-tube rounds, you make a great suppression class. Since the grenade rounds now explode on impact, you can shoot it at groups and downs them all.

upJTboogie said:
Patch coming tonight for PS3-Gaf to combat lag and add a Big Teams setting.
So will they actually patch the game, or just change the standard match setting to 4vs4 and add big team? That's what they did with 360 and it hasn't changed the lag at all. Today and yesterday have been leg festivals, completely unplayable.

I like the gameplay of Brink a lot. There are too many other issues that the game has, that I just don't know how much I can continue suffering through them, just to enjoy the underlying gameplay.

So the game seems to have gotten a lot of bad flak due to the bugs...but it seems like Bethesda is working hard to fix them all.

Is the underlying game going to provide a deep, rich MP experience? Hard to read the reviews without mentions of the bugs, so I'm trying to get an idea of how enjoyable the actual game is.

Mr. Snrub said:
Is the underlying game going to provide a deep, rich MP experience? Hard to read the reviews without mentions of the bugs, so I'm trying to get an idea of how enjoyable the actual game is.

On the PC, yes. The vast majority of reviews were based upon the console versions.

Mr. Snrub said:
So the game seems to have gotten a lot of bad flak due to the bugs...but it seems like Bethesda is working hard to fix them all.

20-30 or so hours in I'm gonna say yes! Loved ET, loved ET:QW, loved TFC/TFF/TF2, loved FEAR MP, loving this! The only (serious) bug I've run into so far is the sound bug, and that seems inevitable so they'll fix it quickly. I seem to be one of the lucky ones though.

There'll be a "pro" tournament on the... 17th, I think (on Brink.tv)? I reckon we'll learn a lot more about the game then.

Raide

Mr. Snrub said:

If you can get some like-minded players together, yes it is. Way deeper than CoD, since it actually focuses around team-play and using class abilities correctly. Sure there are some issues but once they sort those out, it will make those reviews that bashed it for tech issues look a little silly.

Of course everyone will say PC is the best version but if the Console versions get the Developer attention is deserves, it will also be a great game (Community willing.)

Mr. Snrub said:

On PC it will. On consoles, with shoddy matchmaking, can't join lower ranked friends, hell can't join a friends game at all (have to invite) and no lobby system, I can't see how it could be the rich MP experience that I am looking for.

The game itself is fun, when there are no bots involved. Each class is distinct and has something to offer on the battlefield. Maps are fun, with multiple objectives, that really get the team to work together.

Now whether people do work together or not is a whole nother can of worms. It seems like even with the tutorial videos and objective wheels, people still don't know what the fuck to do in this game.

The game doesn't really open up until you hit level 20 and have all the abilities available to you. Before that, the game is a chore and I am really not a fan of slogging through matches just to unlock more stuff, so I can actually play the game the way it was meant to be played.

I feel Splash Damage focused too much on unnecessary parts of Brink. Mainly the storyline, cutscenes, challenges, all of that is superflous to me. If SD would have fully focused themselves on the multiplayer portion of the game, I feel we wouldn't have as many issues as this game currently does.

Raide said:
Of course everyone will say PC is the best version but if the Console versions get the Developer attention is deserves, it will also be a great game (Community willing.)
Console versions will be dead shortly if there aren't a ton of fixes. Netcode needs to be straightened out and there absolutely needs to be a lobby/party system. The fact that I can't even join a friends game and I have to invite him in and hope we get on the same team, is inexcusable. Not to mention the bots that plague the versus play and we can't turn them off unlike the PC version.

Fix the netcode, implement a lobby system and get rid of the fucking bots in versus mode. Then Brink might have a chance of having a lasting community. Oh yeah, stat tracking as well. Don't make me go to a website to see my stats, let me see that shit in game.

I'm thinking that the odds of big changes like an added lobby system and stats tracking are pretty nil for console side - it sounds like a pretty tall order for a title update. Better AI I can see happening soon (PC already got it, sounds like), and I'm trusting that they don't leave the netcode at the current 4v4 workaround.

Great, thanks for the info, guys. I was gonna bite on the $35 deal yesterday, but didn't realize it was a limited deal through another vendor.

Raide said:

Console gamers don't typically give games a second chance, so I would guess that this game will be dead if the lag issues aren't fixed this week. And how you launch a multiplayer console game without a party system is beyond me...

Raide

divisionbyzorro said:
Console gamers don't typically give games a second chance, so I would guess that this game will be dead if the lag issues aren't fixed this week. And how you launch a multiplayer console game without a party system is beyond me...

Does it not work via the Live Party stuff and then the Fireteam option?

Kade

Darkshier said:
Console versions will be dead shortly if there aren't a ton of fixes.

The console version will be dead anyways because of the flavour-of-the-month nature of most console gamers and the fact that this game doesn't have "Call of Duty" or "Halo" in the title. The lack of polish completes the trifecta.

divisionbyzorro said:
I don't see why console gamers should give this game a second chance. The game is barely playable online and the offline portion of the game is a joke. No lobbies to play with friends and the inability to even join someone on my friends list, makes this game worse at online play than original xbox live titles.

Raide said:
Does it not work via the Live Party stuff and then the Fireteam option?

The fireteam is a joke. First off, everyone has to be in the same server. Then even when you get someone in a fire team, all that changes is you get voice chat (if you weren't already in a Live party) and changes the color text above your fire teams heads.

I can't form a fireteam and then go search for games. I CAN form a fireteam in a match, but then we are stuck in that match and can't search for another one. The setup is fucking terrible and worthless.

dygiT said:
The console version will be dead anyways because of the flavour-of-the-month nature of most console gamers and the fact that this game doesn't have "Call of Duty" or "Halo" in the title. The lack of polish completes the trifecta.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 launch was terrible, games almost as laggy as Brinks and that was on dedicated servers. Lots of people still play that game today and for good reason. It was a polished game other than the lag, and had BASIC features like lobby support.

I think lots of gamers would have stuck with this game and gave it a chance, if it didn't have all these glaring issues. The fact that Brink has a worse online setup than fucking Unreal Championship is insanity.

dork

Banned
Klorox33 said:
I have a 5850, and while the game doesn't scream along at 150 fps, it's still quite playable. I'm not maxing out the graphics options though.

Ive got it maxed out on a 5850, it doesnt have framerate lag but the game just looks weird. Its not smooth like it should be.

Kade

Darkshier said:
Battlefield Bad Company 2 launch was terrible, games almost as laggy as Brinks and that was on dedicated servers. Lots of people still play that game today and for good reason. It was a polished game other than the lag, and had BASIC features like lobby support.

I think lots of gamers would have stuck with this game and gave it a chance, if it didn't have all these glaring issues. The fact that Brink has a worse online setup than fucking Unreal Championship is insanity.

I should have said "New IP" instead of CoD or Halo. Makes much more sense. :/

Mr. Snrub said:

MP wise, this game is amazing. I haven't had this much fun since BF:BC2; feeling like you're an important part of a team and contributing to a win after a hard fought battle. It's awesome.

I played Big Team on 360 last night, all humans, no lag, went mvp & best medic in almost every round and got up to level 11. I'm rolling with medium build for the extra health and finally settled a primary AR in the Rhett (muzzle brake / front grip / d-flex / drum mag) for long range fights, with the Carb-9 (same setup) as my secondary for medium & close range. The player base seems to be getting smarter, teams were buffing (for once I never ran out of ammo!) and sticking together. I think we were on defense almost every round, and it felt great to scramble around supporting and reviving, capturing health command posts and cleaning up random groups.

I love this game.

FLEABttn

Banned
What are we considering so important with lobbies that not having lobbies is a crime so great a game is condemned to game hell? Like Black Ops lobbies? Because those are terrible.

FLEABttn said:
What are we considering so important with lobbies that not having lobbies is a crime so great a game is condemned to game hell? Like Black Ops lobbies? Because those are terrible.
The ability to meet up with your friends before a match, choose your gametype, then go into matchmaking together and stay together. I haven't played Black Ops, so I don't know what the problem is there. But Halo, Bad Company, Gears, all are great examples of the type of lobby system that should be in Brink.

Having to join a friends match through an invite, hope we get on the same team, in a server without bots or lag, is just crazy ridiculous in 2011.

No lobbies at all are fine, if you have a server browser.

Presco

When this game works it is truly excellent. But the matchmaking issues combined with many weird design choices are disappointing. I felt bipolar playing this all weekend. Why is there no lobby or party system? Why do I have to exit to the main menu to upgrade my dude / change my body type / adjust my guns? WTF at the crazy variability in lag. Playing online with my bro and we would be lag free for 5+ games. Exit to upgrade and try to rejoin a game? Guaranteed lag of untold proportions. Cue 15 minutes of each of us joining and exiting games to try and find a playable match.

Core gameplay is great. Everything else, not so much. Praying for an extensive patch.

blazinglazers said:
MP wise, this game is amazing. I haven't had this much fun since BF:BC2; feeling like you're an important part of a team and contributing to a win after a hard fought battle. It's awesome.

Oh shit dawg. Considering BFBC2 was my personal MP GOTY last year, I'm buying Brink this week.

FLEABttn

Banned
Darkshier said:
The ability to meet up with your friends before a match, choose your gametype, then go into matchmaking together and stay together. I haven't played Black Ops, so I don't know what the problem is there. But Halo, Bad Company, Gears, all are great examples of the type of lobby system that should be in Brink.

Having to join a friends match through an invite, hope we get on the same team, in a server without bots or lag, is just crazy ridiculous in 2011.

No lobbies at all are fine, if you have a server browser.

Okay, I see what you're getting at.

My problem with Black Ops is going to the lobby for a minute and a half between rounds. I want to play the game, not have social hour over map voting.

FLEABttn said:
Okay, I see what you're getting at.

My problem with Black Ops is going to the lobby for a minute and a half between rounds. I want to play the game, not have social hour over map voting.
Sorry, I was getting my gaming vocabulary confused between party and lobby. Lobby is indeed what you would wait in, between rounds and party system is what you would use to find a match with your friends.

So, there needs to be a party system no doubt. The actual lobby system in Brink is nice. You get to vote for next map, check awards and scoreboard. The only problem I have with the lobby, is that you aren't able to customize your character from there. If I finally find a lag free server, I shouldn't have to leave it, in order to check out my new unlocks.

So I got this game on PS3 to play with my clan since it's first and foremost a MP shooter. First thing I noticed is that there is no clan system or any type of clan support whatsoever (not even tags, really?).

Second, there is no real party system or a lobby system (before the match starts, not in-between rounds) for that matter. Even then you cant customize your weapons or characters. You can only invite people after you have already started a match; these things are essential to MP-focused shooters. Since they didn't include any type of clan support, even though they promised it, they could have at least implemented a good party and lobby system.

Third, since there are basically no actual stats there's really no way to recruit people for this game since there's no criteria to base whether they're a good player or not.

Last but not least, the extreme amount of lag in Versus and the terrible pop-in make this game very unpleasant to play.

Unless they patch all of this, I will most likely be trading this game in along with the rest of my clan.

Twig

Banned
FLEABttn said:
Normally I don't give a shit about lobbies, but it'd be nice to at least be able to set up a fireteam with my friends BEFORE we jump onto a server and get stuck on opposite teams.

Teknoman

IronFistedChampion said:
So I got this game on PS3 to play with my clan since it's first and foremost a MP shooter. First thing I noticed is that there is no clan system or any type of clan support whatsoever (not even tags, really?).

Second, there is no real party system or a lobby system (before the match starts, not in-between rounds) for that matter. Even then you cant customize your weapons or characters. You can only invite people after you have already started a match; these things are essential to MP-focused shooters. Since they didn't include any type of clan support, even though they promised it, they could have at least implemented a good party and lobby system.

Third, since there are basically no actual stats there's really no way to recruit people for this game since there's no criteria to base whether they're a good player or not.

Last but not least, the extreme amount of lag in Versus and the terrible pop-in make this game very unpleasant to play.

Unless they patch all of this, I will most likely be trading this game in along with the rest of my clan.

Well most MP focused shooters dont have clan tag options unless you make the tag yourself. Unless my memory is fuzzy, did any of the Unreal Tournament series, Counter Strike, Quake 3, or Team Fortress series have clan tag input options?

Maybe some sort of lobby system should be implemented for the console version...but the no stats is most likely just so people focus on doing objectives. All this stat tracking stuff kinda takes the fun out of lots of MP titles (even fighting games now) where people wont fight against other people if they have a ton of wins or a ton of losses.

Thats part of the reason why TF2 is so much fun, you just see the scoreboard at the end, and know how you did for that match. Not that you can get headshots at a 45 degree angle, .45% of the time.

So is the EU server down? Can't connect anymore.

dork said:
Ive got it maxed out on a 5850, it doesnt have framerate lag but the game just looks weird. Its not smooth like it should be.
So you have a stable framerate maxed out on a 5850? Just stuttering issues? It runs like ass on mine. What drivers are you using?

Top Bottom