• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Mrbob

PC version is so good. Dedicated servers ftw. I know Halo made matchmaking popular but it is garbage compared to being able to play on a quality server with low ping.

I'd say the game is worth 50 dollars on PC. Thankfully the PC version is Steamworks so if you find a good deal pick it up and you can link it to your steam account! D2D has been running 25 percent off weekend deals lately so maybe they'll do it again this coming weekend!

X-Frame

divisionbyzorro said:
Yeah, this game does seem to be dying already on consoles.

Or not. Who knows? With matchmaking this shitty, millions could be playing and I'd still get stuck in a game with bots. I need to get on that new PC ASAP.

This is why I dislike matchmaking so much.

Unless they have a stat notification like in Halo, COD, etc that shows how many people are "online" with each game mode -- only server lists can show the activity. Though I assume it is hard to do that with Brink since how would you distinguish people online or offline when it's the same?

With server browsing, players know where to go to find other players. With matchmaking you got to hope you get set up with enough players at once to play a game. People try to play and cant get on so they quit which just makes things worse.

Matchmaking only works when a game is a big enough hit to support it, otherwise all it does is help make lower selling titles online communities die off faster. With server browsing even if not ton of people are playing, you will still always find and immediately get into a game

So I decided to give this a rent on the 360 to see if I actually like it.

If I do, I'll definitely end up buying it...but I don't know if I want to get it for 360, or PC. PC will probably play better, but I think 360 might have a larger community?

I'm torn :(

If you're having trouble with servers, don't use the in-game browser. Alt-tab and use the Steam Server list. It lets you favorite and sort just like in a Valve game. You can also find servers there and launch the game by joining.

XeroSauce

Ajemsuhgao said:

If I do, I'll definitely end up buying it...but I don't know if I want to get it for 360, or PC. PC will probably play better, but I think 360 might have a larger community?

PC is shaping up to have a "working" community since matchmaking is straight busted from what I hear.

zlatko

Banned
Ajemsuhgao said:

You'll want the PC version at this point in time. As much as I prefer playing my 360 version because I have a buncha friends who don't have gaming PC's and thus got it for 360... there's just nothing to play consistently with them with how it is on 360 right now in terms of unplayable lag.

PC community is thriving right now and PC Gaf has rallied behind this game to give you fun people to play with consistently. If you have the rig to run it, then go with PC, but beware as people have been saying in here that the PC version has its own share of problems like some graphics cards not running it.

X-Frame said:
This is why I dislike matchmaking so much.

Unless they have a stat notification like in Halo, COD, etc that shows how many people are "online" with each game mode -- only server lists can show the activity. Though I assume it is hard to do that with Brink since how would you distinguish people online or offline when it's the same?
It's not the same though. There are single player bot matches through campaign. Then there is also real (supposedly) player matches with the Freeplay option. We should be able to load Freeplay, Standard game, Objective Match and see how many people are in that gametype.

Well, we should have a lot of things other than that, but I like to dream.

BattleMonkey said:
With server browsing, players know where to go to find other players. With matchmaking you got to hope you get set up with enough players at once to play a game. People try to play and cant get on so they quit which just makes things worse.

Matchmaking only works when a game is a big enough hit to support it, otherwise all it does is help make lower selling titles online communities die off faster. With server browsing even if not ton of people are playing, you will still always find and immediately get into a game
Could not have said it better myself, even if I tried really, really hard. Kudos.

"With server browsing, players know where to go to find other players. With matchmaking you got to hope you get set up with enough players at once to play a game. People try to play and cant get on so they quit which just makes things worse.

Matchmaking only works when a game is a big enough hit to support it, otherwise all it does is help make lower selling titles online communities die off faster. With server browsing even if not ton of people are playing, you will still always find and immediately get into a game"

We have a winner.

Buh buh buh it just works! You just press a button and get into a game!

Falagard

Teknopathetic said:
We have a winner.

Usually works fine in low population games.

Example, can still go play Shadowrun or Transformers War for Cybertron and get into a match. (Haven't tried Shadowrun in a while actually but that's what I've heard).

Falagard said:

Example, can still go play Shadowrun or Transformers War for Cybertron and get into a match. (Haven't tried Shadowrun in a while actually but that's what I've heard).
Not when you played Shadowrun when it first came out and got your truskill so high, you simply can't matchmake with other people.

Blizzard

Banned
So, I gave in and tried the latest ATI hotfix for Windows 7, for my 5850, after using the 12.10 drivers forever.

It seems like instead of the 30-60 fps I got before, I dropped down to like 12-15 fps in places, and maybe 30-40 in other places, on the GAF server.

I guess I'll try it one more time after rebooting and making sure nothing else is running, but it makes me sad since I was actually hoping for an improvement instead of 5-month old drivers. At least the old ones worked with most things and would only hard freeze my computer once every week or so.

nvm, found this email:
Hello and thank you for your purchase, The publisher for Brink, Bethesda, has informed us that they have misprinted your booklet and not included your activation code for the game. For this reason they have kindly asked us to email you the code instead. Your unique activation code is: XXXXXXXXXX Thank you and Regards, GameGears Team
c'mon son

ibu

How are the 360 Euro-GAFFERS? I played on launch day, but due to work was unable to play until tonight. Will be on from time to time...definite drop me a request if you want to play.

GT: LucifersCall666

Falagard said:

Depends on implementation. Matchmaking that lets players join a game in progress usually work best, as you will often get into an open match. Problem is lot of games don't allow late joins so you have to wait to get placed into a big enough group before said group can launch.

You also get many other game variables that further screw up matchmaking such as length of matches and such.

Nothing wrong really with matchmaking, just wrong when they don't give server browsing option as well. And of course many games just using matchmaking to hide the fact that it's likely a p2p game and they cheaper out of servers.

Makoto

Falagard said:
Doesn't work in MW2 PC.

Anyways, the patch fixing the stutter in the server browser was a nice step, now we just need some optimization on the game itself.

Game runs like shit for me. If it's not 60fps, then it's 40fps, in some cases it drops to 20 or 30fps and stays locked at that for a while, until it jerks back into gear. Fix this shit, Splash Damage.

Teknoman

New hot fix boosted performance abit more. Still not idea since it goes down to 30 at times in fire fight/tons of stuff going off, but usually its 60+ for me now. Offline its hitting 80+ fps but looks like 30.

Had an awesome match at Sec. Tower on the GAF server (NA) but some of the matches were really one sided after that. Got hit with the sound bug once (thought my speakers blew up).

soultron

Banned
Nice to see Brink top the UK charts. Hopefully it did well stateside too. Even though the launch has been frustrating, this is a franchise (and studio) I really want to see do well past the bumpy launch.

Any way to beat the Tower Defense 3 star challenge? I played with a group of people that joined me and we won it but it didn't give me any credit for beating it! What is this shit? Why even have that option then?

Ramirez

Mrbob said:
PC version is so good. Dedicated servers ftw. I know Halo made matchmaking popular but it is garbage compared to being able to play on a quality server with low ping.

I'd say the game is worth 50 dollars on PC. Thankfully the PC version is Steamworks so if you find a good deal pick it up and you can link it to your steam account! D2D has been running 25 percent off weekend deals lately so maybe they'll do it again this coming weekend!

It's really not garbage when it's set up properly, but for some reason only Bungie and IW/Treyarch seem to have any common sense on how to do it, sad really.

I mean good lord, Team Objective in Reach is usually at a population of 250 when I play it, yet I find a match in a matter of seconds, this game is a complete crap shoot on whether or not I'll even get 2-3 real people in a match.

Teknopathetic said:
"With server browsing, players know where to go to find other players. With matchmaking you got to hope you get set up with enough players at once to play a game. People try to play and cant get on so they quit which just makes things worse.

Matchmaking only works when a game is a big enough hit to support it, otherwise all it does is help make lower selling titles online communities die off faster. With server browsing even if not ton of people are playing, you will still always find and immediately get into a game"

We have a winner.

But why bother when it means you have to rent servers and set up an infrastructure and release a server client and update that too every time you patch your game!

Just make it p2p and agressively try to convince people that it's somehow not terrible.
(which super sadly is actually working)
derp2.jpg

off topic: Youtube isn't even trying anymore ,I wanted to link your buh buh buh reference.
http://www.abload.de/img/lolyoutubenn2q.png

yeah that's right, just ignore every single word in my query and then plug your sponsored links.

Bru

ibu said:
How are the 360 Euro-GAFFERS? I played on launch day, but due to work was unable to play until tonight. Will be on from time to time...definite drop me a request if you want to play.

GT: LucifersCall666

Brink clicked with me over the weekend, some of the battles were just incredible. Love this game!

I use the 360 when I can, however, with family and work commitments my time online does vary.

GT: Bru

Hope to see you online.

sk3tch

Selling my 360 copy in the b/s/t thread with the Psycho Pack DLC...switching over to the PC version due to the matchmaking issues and because I just bought a GTX 580. :) I also wasn't able to recruit any of my LIVE friends to get the game. :(

Offerizer

Neo Member
Ok Mr Soldier. You want to blow something up?

Healtbuff, speedbuff and adrenalinebuff now be on your way. Tick, tick, tick, tick BOOM.

Well atleast that would happen if people stopped and let me do it before they run and die.

Offerizer said:
Ok Mr Soldier. You want to blow something up?

Healtbuff, speedbuff and adrenalinebuff now be on your way. Tick, tick, tick, tick BOOM.

Well atleast that would happen if people stopped and let me do it before they run and die.

I wish there was a quick way to tell someone to wait for a full buff; some way to make a message pop up on their screen that says "DivisionByZorro wants you to wait for more buffs."

divisionbyzorro said:
I wish there was a quick way to tell someone to wait for a full buff; some way to make a message pop up on their screen that says "DivisionByZorro wants you to wait for more buffs."
Like the VSAYs of old, god I miss those.

I really wish I could love this game more, but in the end I am so tired of shooting assault rifles that I can't get too into it.

Just say no to bulletguns. How many different takes on the same few real life guns must gamers shoot before they're tired of it? Someone save me.

Darkshier said:
Not when you played Shadowrun when it first came out and got your truskill so high, you simply can't matchmake with other people.
Urgh, I remember. At peak times you were lucky to even get 2v2 matches on Shadowrun for the first month or so. I've noticed Brink is similar, at rank 15 the matches are barely 2v2, but switch to a rank 1 character and it's straight back up to 8v8.

Raide

I have a Love/Hate thing going with Brink. I love it when it works, hate it when the game forces me to jump through hoops just to do simple things. The more I play it the more I wish they ripped out the SP and just made a Digital Download of the MP side.

Teknopathetic said:
I really wish I could love this game more, but in the end I am so tired of shooting assault rifles that I can't get too into it.

Just say no to bulletguns. How many different takes on the same few real life guns must gamers shoot before they're tired of it? Someone save me.

I somewhat agree with you, I always think that I want a new game like quake 3, then I realize that they will never be able to create that magic again. :/

Still finding the camera movement to be clunky.. I'm not sure if it's intentional or just servers being laggy as hell. I think it must be the servers still. I will try to play tonight, but I have put 3 hours into this game and I still don't think I've had a really fun, smooth match.. damn shame.

Top Bottom