• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Teknoman

Pandoracell said:
Now that things have calmed down a bit i'll talk about keeping the server up and running.

As I said when the game came out, i'm unable to financially support the server beyond the first month, and so to keep it going we'll need to rely on donations. My server host, gameservers.com, has a feature called clanpay in which I can simply give out a link, and someone can pay directly towards a specific server through paypal and gameservers.com

The server runs $20.75 a month, so it would only require a few people to donate a couple dollars each month. The group hasn't been very active the past few days, so I have no idea if this will fly or not, and if it doesn't than the server will shut down on June 8th and we can all reminisce on the good times we had :)

So with that said, if anyone is interested in donating, send me a PM and i'll give you the link. I'm not sure it's a great idea (or even allowed) to have it public. And I apologize if this post is inappropriate or otherwise not allowed.

I think alot of people still seem to not know about the server, or that it's always full of random people since it holds up nicely. I might be able to help out here and there though.

Sanic

Teknoman said:
I think alot of people still seem to not know about the server, or that it's always full of random people since it holds up nicely. I might be able to help out here and there though.
That may be the case, although its mostly been empty the past few days, and my group announcements haven't really brought in any players. I would of course be up for making whatever changes may be needed.

DerFeef, I thank you as always for your help and support, and on the subject of admins: it would be great to get a few more for the steam group as well as the server, especially the server. I can't be around at all times to make sure its running as it should and to admin games, so some help would be nice.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Pandoracell said:
That may be the case, although its mostly been empty the past few days, and my group announcements haven't really brought in any players. I would of course be up for making whatever changes may be needed.

DerFeef, I thank you as always for your help and support, and on the subject of admins: it would be great to get a few more for the steam group as well as the server, especially the server. I can't be around at all times to make sure its running as it should and to admin games, so some help would be nice.
Are there plans to meet up this weekend? If so, what time?

Sanic

DenogginizerOS said:
Are there plans to meet up this weekend? If so, what time?
I usually try to post an announcement every night between 8 and 9 EDT, and I should be free at that time tomorrow night as well, but if not ill still try to make a post.

equil

Does anyone know if playing versus and only ending up with real people on my team counts towards the "Tough as Nails" Achievement?

So I tried playing as a light-body for the first time last night, pretty much exclusively as a soldier. And now I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to medium! I wasn't doing a very good job of taking advantage of SMART movement, but the added movement speed and circle strafe abilities were just too powerful. I could flash a group through a door, run around to the other door (while they blindly emptied clips towards the door that I was just at), knock them down with a molotov, and clean up with the Carb-9 without so much as a thought.

Also, <3 the Sea Eagle pistol. I've seen people praise the Ritchie, but the Sea Eagle is where it's really at.

Shoogoo

I tried 5-6 games today, all laggy as shit. Switched to another game.

I really hope you've fixed this SD.

This thread has been quiet the last couple of days :eek:

XeroSauce

divisionbyzorro said:
So I tried playing as a light-body for the first time last night, pretty much exclusively as a soldier. And now I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to medium! I wasn't doing a very good job of taking advantage of SMART movement, but the added movement speed and circle strafe abilities were just too powerful. I could flash a group through a door, run around to the other door (while they blindly emptied clips towards the door that I was just at), knock them down with a molotov, and clean up with the Carb-9 without so much as a thought.

Also, <3 the Sea Eagle pistol. I've seen people praise the Ritchie, but the Sea Eagle is where it's really at.

I like the Hockler myself, but only as a Soldier, otherwise you run out of ammo way too fast. It's basically a SMG in it's own right, so I can carry it with a Light Rifle or a Shottie.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got this game from Gamefly yesterday. It is unplayable online. What trash. Shameful for publishers to put this kind of nonsense out in this state.

360 version.

Bboy AJ said:
Got this game from Gamefly yesterday. It is unplayable online. What trash. Shameful for publishers to put this kind of nonsense out in this state.

360 version.
There's your problem right there. Upcoming patch should resolve the issue though. Stick with it for a bit longer maybe?

AgentOtaku said:
How is the online for this on PS3? Community decent? Can anyone even play online right now?

Thanks
Honestly I could never get into a full game, it was always half full or so, tried all the modes. Sent the bad boy back, I was hoping it would be my go to shooter for the year but man did it fall below expectations once I got online.

KaYotiX

Banned
Got a refund for the game, sorry SD the game is a showpiece of how NOT to launch a MP only game.

Yeah the patch may help but im not gonna wait for it, i have plenty of other games to play.

Shame becasue it really was a blast when it actually didnt lag (360 version i had so maybe 2/10 games a night were good)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Winterblink said:
There's your problem right there. Upcoming patch should resolve the issue though. Stick with it for a bit longer maybe?
I suppose so. It's just a disgrace for the game to be this unplayable and deemed okay for release. Glad I only rented it.

upJTboogie said:
Honestly I could never get into a full game, it was always half full or so, tried all the modes. Sent the bad boy back, I was hoping it would be my go to shooter for the year but man did it fall below expectations once I got online.

sad face =(

Can someone please explain to me how I can get a co-op game going with my friend on PC?

I start a campaign game, hit esc, send an invite and as soon as he gets it it says server not responding.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I try to set it as private and put a password and nothing just seems to be working

robotzombie said:
Can someone please explain to me how I can get a co-op game going with my friend on PC?

I start a campaign game, hit esc, send an invite and as soon as he gets it it says server not responding.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I try to set it as private and put a password and nothing just seems to be working
Try running a dedicated server instead (download the tool through Steam --> Tools), gives you more control and you won't be limited to 30FPS as a listen host.
For those that don't already know, the reason for the FPS lock is because IDTech engine caps a listener server to 30FPS, and with the way the game is designed, anything you do besides going into multiplayer, is spawning that listener server.

Until they add the console commands to unlock the FPS like in the previous IDTech Games, There is a solution.

Go into Steam tools, and install the dedicated server. Once you've setup the dedicated server, Create A Config file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\brink dedicated server\base to start the campaign mode, or challenge map.

[Sample config.cfg]
si_rules sdGameRulesCampaign
applyServerConfig Standard
campaign set campaign_resistance
si_playMode 1
si_onlineMode 2
si_needpass 1
g_password yourpasswordhere
si_maxRank 4
si_botDifficulty 2
net_serverAllowHijacking 0
spawnServer mp/aquarium
[End Sample]

Once the file is created, launch Brink, then alt-tab out, launch the server using brink_ded.bat, and in the console use "exec config.cfg"

Go back into brink, join your server, either via LAN, or direct connect 127.0.0.1, enter the password from above, and enjoy playing with no 30FPS cap! ((This has been tested and verified by 12 people so far since last night))

**Additional**
If you set a brink launch option "+set win_allowMultipleInstances 1" You can start the server first, then start brink and not have it say multiple instances are running and no longer need the alt-tabbing steps.

More info here, maybe (haven't checked!): http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1884049

-------------------------------------------

Though reading through that again I'm reminded of server hijacking, does anyone know how that works, exactly? Shouldn't that make it so you don't need to host a listen server when you play SP/Co-Op?

DEO3

I just ran into an old Wolf:ET friend, who I haven't seen in probably seven years, on some random server. He sent me a friend invite through steam after we were done smashing the resistance for a couple of hours, and now through him I've found most of my old Wolf:ET crew. From the looks of things they've all been playing a lot of Brink, so this fun game is about to get a whole hell of a lot more fun.

Ken

Stripper13 said:
Not sure. If it helps I tend to only play Standard Rules. If I enter a slideshow game or the game turns to shit over time I exit out and then rejoin standard rules but this time I choose a map (any map but the one I was just playing). This ensures I do not get placed in the same lobby.

Doing this I'm in a lag free game within 2-3 minutes and I hang with the new lobby as long as I can. If I need to customize or change abilities I get a player in the lobby to invite me to their fire team.
Tried the same thing a few days ago. Got a slideshow game and then chose to search for Aquarium. Got another slideshow game even though there was only one other human in the game. Quit and specified a different map and received the same results. Tried Aquarium one more time and was sent to the same room I got the first time.

Obviously we each have had different experiences with finding good games but really, finding a playable game should be something one expects every time he starts searching for a game and not be something dependent on luck.

There's a lot I like about the game but having to spend more than a few minutes before I can actually enjoy the game itself is really disappointing.

Shoogoo said:
My 360 friend sold his copy yesterday, SIGH
Ditto - now I'm officially the only one I know on 360 who has the game. There are 4 friends ready to (re)purchase if the patch fixes the lag. I'm still thoroughly enjoying the game.

Ubersnug

equil said:
Does anyone know if playing versus and only ending up with real people on my team counts towards the "Tough as Nails" Achievement?
Doesn't matter if anyone even joins your team, as long as you are playing it on versus mode it counts towards the cheeve, mine just popped about 10 mins ago.

Don't get me started on these fucking 3 star challenges. Can't even do the second star 'Be More Objective' challenge.

DEO3

DenogginizerOS said:
Server has been empty pretty much all day.

Something that has always fascinated me is just how do empty servers fill up? I mean at some point, some lone person has to decide to join an empty server, then someone else has to decide to join a server with just one person on it, then someone has to decide to join a server with two people on it, and so on. Who are these people?

So in the main menu, there's an option for "Online Stats," and a GUID to enter in at www.brinkthegame.com. Trouble is, there doesn't seem to actually be a place to enter this code? Am I just missing it?

On another note, I picked up the last of the audio logs and won a versus game on each map, thus leaving only the Level 20 (I'm at 18.5) and a few random achievements. So that's cool.

divisionbyzorro said:
So in the main menu, there's an option for "Online Stats," and a GUID to enter in at www.brinkthegame.com. Trouble is, there doesn't seem to actually be a place to enter this code? Am I just missing it?
Guess it has something to do with this:
Got your unique access code?

Keep it safe for the upcoming Battle of the Ark stats site. Stay tuned for more details.

In a tiny box under "features" (I think it was).

divisionbyzorro said:

On another note, I picked up the last of the audio logs and won a versus game on each map, thus leaving only the Level 20 (I'm at 18.5) and a few random achievements. So that's cool.
Last time I checked there was an icon on the website saying something to the effect of 'stat site coming soon'. Just wait I guess.

Thanks! I guess I missed it.

Still loving this game, despite having never played a full real-people 8v8 match. Hopefully this magical patch is truly magical.

teepo

i just got kicked from a game for not repairing the bot. i would've done it had they reminded me nicely but the entire team started calling me a faggot the second the realized i was the only engineer on the team. one major con with pc gaming is how seriously some servers/people take the game. oh well, i was laughing at their expense.

edit: i forgot to mention, i thought i was a medic the entire time.

teepo said:
i just got kicked from a game for not repairing the bot. i would've done it had they reminded me nicely but the entire team started calling me a faggot the second the realized i was the only engineer on the team. one major con with pc gaming is how seriously some servers/people take the game. oh well, i was laughing at their expense.

edit: i forgot to mention, i thought i was a medic the entire time.

Just never go back to that server. That's the advantage actually; you shouldn't have much problem never running into those people again.

Tenck said:
So can I do the challenges with other people, or just by myself? They've been pissing me off :'(

If you do it with other people, it doesn't give you credit for completing the challenge. At least it didn't with me for 2 of the 3 star challenges.

Tenck said:
So can I do the challenges with other people, or just by myself? They've been pissing me off :'(
You can play them with other people but if you want it to count towards the leaderboards or unlocks, then you have to go solo. Its honestly easier done with a new character.

Bboy AJ

divisionbyzorro said:
Silly you for thinking things are complete and ready :p

Tenck

AlmostMilk said:
You can play them with other people but if you want it to count towards the leaderboards or unlocks, then you have to go solo. Its honestly easier done with a new character.

Alright, thanks man.

Edit: Just beat all the Be More objectives training missions. So much fun, and I finished them all in one run.

Has the game gotten any better? I haven't played in a while, just haven't gotten the time. If things stay like they are now I'm highly considering selling it, it just isn't that fun getting absolute trash teammates and playing with bots, and I don't have friends online at all times.

Tenck

I've found lots of servers, and the only problems I have are the slight stutters. Other than that the game is playable on PC.

thezerofire said:
Has the game gotten any better? I haven't played in a while, just haven't gotten the time. If things stay like they are now I'm highly considering selling it, it just isn't that fun getting absolute trash teammates and playing with bots, and I don't have friends online at all times.

I've had one bad lag spike for one evening since launch. Since then, it's been fine. (On the 360)

I am definitely NOT an FPS guy.

This game has turned me into an FPS guy.

...strange times.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I've had one bad lag spike for one evening since launch. Since then, it's been fine. (On the 360)

I am definitely NOT an FPS guy.

This game has turned me into an FPS guy.

...strange times.
I've been an FPS guy for a while, and with Reach and Black Ops, I have more than enough to keep me occupied when I have a little time to game, which is making me wonder what the point of keeping Brink is. I'll give it a little bit more time though

Top Bottom