• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Genesis Knight said:
Wish they'd play it with bots on hard.
Will that actually change the AI routines from just standing still and shooting each other? Most times hard difficulty just makes enemy AI do more damage/take less damage. These bots are certainly good at teamwork, buffing, reviving, ammo sharing. The actual combat AI looks so atrocious though. Just standing there and trading shots, sometimes crouching. No SMART movement or tactics at all.

Looking at the campaign mission select screen on the live stream. There seems to be 6 missions for each security and resistance, plus 2 bonus "what-if" missions for each side. I am guessing that means at least 12 maps with a possible 16? Maybe those 4 "what-if" maps are campaign only?

Proven

Genesis Knight said:
Wish they'd play it with bots on hard.
The guy obviously can't handle hard yet. He plays about as well as me, lol.

Darkshier said:
Will that actually change the AI routines from just standing still and shooting each other? Most times hard difficulty just makes enemy AI do more damage/take less damage. These bots are certainly good at teamwork, buffing, reviving, ammo sharing. The actual combat AI looks so atrocious though. Just standing there and trading shots, sometimes crouching. No SMART movement or tactics at all.
I see no reason why they wouldn't. A beginner player has a hard time moving and aiming and not getting lost. Early level AI reflect that accordingly.

They've talked big about their AI system in a couple of interviews, so I find it hard to believe that they don't ramp up later. But they do say anything is possible...

Proven

divisionbyzorro said:
Is XP shared among the slots? Or do you accrue XP separately for each slot?

I believe it's separately for each slot, but I haven't seen anything in a while confirming or denying this.

Yeah, I guess he does suck pretty bad right now, so maybe he couldn't handle hard just yet. But 1) AI and 2) easy AI makes the game look boring.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
oh wow, that looks boring as fuck :(
Don't be bad, please!

Darkshier - you're right, these bots are pretty good at everything except moving and firing convincingly; that engineer bot just planted a good mine right outside the command post, and they seem to buff and support and attack objectives well. Here's hoping that on hard they maneuver and fire better!

Why can they never let anyone decent play these streams?

Also holy cow it's laggy.
Does the final game have a server build released on pc so people can host their own servers and pick their own hosting company?

Teknoman

Must've come fresh off Black Ops or something...iron sights mere feet infront of the enemy. Cant complain too much since its a pretty high quality stream.

(Bigevents stream)

Genesis Knight said:
Darkshier - you're right, these bots are pretty good at everything except moving and firing convincingly; that engineer bot just planted a good mine right outside the command post, and they seem to buff and support and attack objectives well. Here's hoping that on hard they maneuver and fire better!
Definitely. They aren't leaning, using SMART, throwing flashbangs, or using any kind of tactics whatsoever. Enemy AI sees player (or other bots) and stands still shooting until player is down or out of sight, then the AI might move around a bit. Not seeing any different body types either. Maybe the AI won't switch body types unless the player is a higher level or the difficulty is set higher?

SneakyStephan said:
Why can they never let anyone decent play these streams?

Also holy cow it's laggy.
Does the final game have a server build released on pc so people can host their own servers and pick their own hosting company?

I know, I wish I could be playing and livestreaming for you guys. I would certainly be much better than what we are seeing here. I'll take what I can get though. Even watching this guy is better than any media Bethesda has released on this game.

PC has dedicated server support and anyone can download the dedicated server client and run their own servers. Not seeing too much lag in these 360 matches, but I am not watching closely either.

Darkshier said:
Not seeing any different body types either. Maybe the AI won't switch body types unless the player is a higher level or the difficulty is set higher?

Yeah, I'm thinking that basically what we're seeing here is a pale version of even the offline mode.

EDIT: Why is there lag in a bot match? *Facepalm*

zlatko

Banned
Okay, has it been discussed if this game has a cover system of some sort? I swear I saw this guy streaming be able to take cover, and you can lean and peak around it too? Can anyone confirm that?

Brink was/is my most anticipated game of this year, and everything I keep seeing keeps reconfirming what I thought this game would be when it comes out----FUCKING AMAZING! :D

zlatko said:
Okay, has it been discussed if this game has a cover system of some sort? I swear I saw this guy streaming be able to take cover, and you can lean and peak around it too? Can anyone confirm that?

Brink was/is my most anticipated game of this year, and everything I keep seeing keeps reconfirming what I thought this game would be when it comes out----FUCKING AMAZING! :D

You can lean but I don't think there's any sort of sticky cover system.

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, I'm thinking that basically what we're seeing here is a pale version of even the offline mode.

EDIT: Why is there lag in a bot match? *Facepalm*
I think he is in a co-op campaign and not a single player match. That might explain some of the lag.

Teknoman said:
I like the music i've heard so far, but I kinda wish that more games would include music during MP (like Unreal or Quake).

I am liking it a lot too, it reminds me of the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory soundtrack. I loved that games music a lot.

zlatko said:

No sticky cover ala gears or rainbow six vegas. You can lean while aiming down the iron sights around corners and crouch to hide behind objects though. The way it should be, sticky cover systems are a pain.

abundant

Darkshier said:
Definitely. They aren't leaning, using SMART, throwing flashbangs, or using any kind of tactics whatsoever. Enemy AI sees player (or other bots) and stands still shooting until player is down or out of sight, then the AI might move around a bit. Not seeing any different body types either. Maybe the AI won't switch body types unless the player is a higher level or the difficulty is set higher?

The AI Bots can't use abilities you haven't unlocked yet. He's still rank 1, you don't unlock flashbangs until rank 2. Same thing applies with the body types.

gillty

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Yay for console pirates playing the game before everyone else. :/

edit: plug for servers,

Slaughterhouse (bhslaughter.com, will have two servers, one in LA and one in Dallas up and running day one. We are known for our easy going TF2 servers, which feature all-talk and constantly tuned custom rotations. So if your looking for a nice environment to play Brink in check us out when you purchase the game.

gillty

Banned
Shoogoo said:
Why do you assume they're pirates?
captureuhrb.png

harrytang

On the Brink forums people are saying you can loose a level in order to make changes to the abilities if you get to 20 and want to change your mind about progression.

Someone else mentioned tattoos and scars are permanent once added. Not sure how I feel about that. No tattoos in real life since I can't make that decision. Going to be hard in game too.

desu

Uhm not to burst any bubbles, but the game has been available at stores LONG before game leaked to the internet. PS3 version needs FW3.6 anyway so a no go for pirates.

zlatko

Banned
Lunchbox said:
this is so frustrating to watch

idiots straight outta blackops

I only watched about 20 minutes of it. Just wanted to get a bigger feeling for what he was doing in missions, how the story was playing out, how the game looks, the music, etc.

Took the good shit, then bailed out cuz he doesn't do the game justice.

I love the mission he's on though. Starts out with a great standoff, and this section has great funneling/chokepoint areas where you really need teamwork to break through.

abundant

Lunchbox said:

Agreed. I had to stop watching. He doesn't use the SMART system at all, uses no abilities, and he just let an engineer complete an objective because he was too scared to die.

Lunchbox said:

All we have ever wanted is footage from a match being played on the PC version with full human teams. That is asking too much from Bethesda and Splash Damage though. Instead, we get drip feed tutorial videos and live streams from people who can barely play the game.....

RS4-

Was watching someone do the uhh, challenge mode stuff and it's some pretty good XP, 10k+ while the story missions (from what I've seen of the first 2-3, it doesn't compare to the challenge ones in terms of XP).

harrytang said:
Someone else mentioned tattoos and scars are permanent once added. Not sure how I feel about that. No tattoos in real life since I can't make that decision. Going to be hard in game too.

I think my big dilemma will be... "face tattoo or no face tattoo? And if face tattoo, do I go with the IRON MIKE TYSON!?!?!"

bangai-o

Banned
Darkshier said:
Will that actually change the AI routines from just standing still and shooting each other? Most times hard difficulty just makes enemy AI do more damage/take less damage.
not the case for Shadowrun. When you bump up the difficulty, they do become more aggressive.
I haven not familiarized myself with other games that have bots (Perfect Dark Zero?), but i think it would be unfair to say that the ai will do the same thing but with bigger health and damage.

Goon Boon

Banned
nismogrendel said:
Thanks a ton. I joined the steam group, can't wait to play with some of you guys soon.

Is there any kind of built in voip?
If you haven't actually bought it yet, I believe theres also a 15% off code that may or may not stack still.

edit - doesnt' stack, nevermind then!

bangai-o said:
not the case for Shadowrun. When you bump up the difficulty, they do become more aggressive.
I haven not familiarized myself with other games that have bots (Perfect Dark Zero?), but i think it would be unfair to say that the ai will do the same thing but with bigger health and damage.
Eh, I am not too concerned about it. I don't ever plan on playing with bots, they bore me to death and could never reproduce what a human player can do. I think it is a cool option for people who like to play against them, but they aren't for me.

I didn't know that about Shadowrun though. I played that game a lot but got frustrated with the truskill matchmaking. I was ranked so high I would literally never get matched with other players and I would (and still do) just get stuck in a matchmaking loop forever. Might try to play against some bots sometimes as that game was really unique and very fun.

bangai-o

Banned
Darkshier said:
I don't ever plan on playing with bots, they bore me to death and could never reproduce what a human player can do. I think it is a cool option for people who like to play against them, but they aren't for me.
definitely. But with internet costs that only seem to rise, Im always up for a game that has bots.

bangai-o said:
definitely. But with internet costs that only seem to rise, Im always up for a game that has bots.
Wow, I never thought of it that way. How much bandwidth does playing an online game eat up? Enough to maybe dissuade someone from playing because they are afraid they might break their monthly cap? Thinking in those terms is absolutely horrifying to me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Darkshier said:
Wow, I never thought of it that way. How much bandwidth does playing an online game eat up? Enough to maybe dissuade someone from playing because they are afraid they might break their monthly cap? Thinking in those terms is absolutely horrifying to me.

No, gaming takes a very small amount of data.

Top Bottom