• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Shoogoo

I'd like to hear Bethesda explaining this nonsense.

That kind of live streaming before street date is what made me buy Borderlands day one.

XeroSauce said:
Yea, co-op campaign, drop in and out or party, from what I can recall.
Check it out. There are offline bot matches (campaign) online bot matches (co-op campaign) or online multiplayer which is 8 vs 8 with human players. The campaign mode does have story cutscenes between maps and you can also unlock story related audiologs.

Despite all of the bullshit marketing speak that Bethesda and Splash Damage have thrown out, you play with bots or you play with people.

Also, Bethesda has gone overboard with the taking down of youtube videos and livestreams of Brink. Those livesteams/youtube videos have shown me more and sold me on the game. Compared to the drip feed of lame tutorial videos we got from Bethesda and all the previews/interviews that try to hype up the "singleplayer that is the same as multiplayer" aka bot matches. Bethesdas marketing for this game could not have been worse.

13.5 hours til hopefully the Steam version unlocks....

MonkeyKnuckle said:

Gameplay that was shown was good, could do without any of the cut scenes. I feel that trying to hype and sell people up on the bot match singleplayer is only going to lead to disappointment.

Nocebo

This makes no sense. Dude says: "We must escape the arc!" why does that lead to violence? You'd think the security people would be happy to see those guys all leave.

Proven

Saw some random video where the host left and the game activated host migration. But after the migration all players go back to the spawn rooms and all deployables are removed. On the other hand, it's a lot faster than I've seen it in other games.

Darkshier said:
Also, Bethesda has gone overboard with the taking down of youtube videos and livestreams of Brink. Those livesteams/youtube videos have shown me more and sold me on the game. Compared to the drip feed of lame tutorial videos we got from Bethesda and all the previews/interviews that try to hype up the "singleplayer that is the same as multiplayer" aka bot matches. Bethesdas marketing for this game could not have been worse.

13.5 hours til hopefully the Steam version unlocks....
10 minutes with 16 real players on PC is going to bring more hype than this entire marketing campaign, money well spent! Congratulations Bethesda.

Sanic

Since it's looking like my support ticket won't get resolved before the sale ends, I wonder if they'll still honor the 25% off...

Or if I should just pay the extra ten dollars and buy it off Steam and start preloading, because it's going to take about 10 hours to download this and I want to play when it unlocks.

Danne-Danger said:
10 minutes with 16 real players on PC is going to bring more hype than this entire marketing campaign, money well spent! Congratulations Bethesda.
Bethesda is afraid to do that for some reason. There is no excuse for them to not have footage like that available to potential consumers weeks ago, let alone an actual playable demo.

Can't have that though, bot matches are what the people want to see! Right? RIGHT?!!!?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Weenerz said:
People that have ordered it from D2D, did you get the pre-order code yet?
Not the game code, but the pre-order bonus.

From what I remember I recall seeing two "download" buttons, one for the game and one for the pre order bonus.

Just 16? Wow.

From what I remember I recall seeing two "download" buttons, one for the game and one for the pre order bonus.

It wasn't accessible at the time.

Pandoracell said:
Since it's looking like my support ticket won't get resolved before the sale ends, I wonder if they'll still honor the 25% off...

Or if I should just pay the extra ten dollars and buy it off Steam and start preloading, because it's going to take about 10 hours to download this and I want to play when it unlocks.

At this point, it won't be such a bad deal to just get it on Steam and get it ready for tonight.

Awesome launch trailer. Can't wait!

Proven

Someone confirmed to me that when you switch class, you lose all self-administered buffs, but you keep all buffs given to you by another player. I remember someone thinking there might be a loophole there.

Darkshier said:
Bethesda is afraid to do that for some reason. There is no excuse for them to not have footage like that available to potential consumers weeks ago, let alone an actual playable demo.

Can't have that though, bot matches are what the people want to see! Right? RIGHT?!!!?
- Alright Steve, lets record another mission before we go home.
- Sir, there's another button on this menu interface!
- What? What does it say?
- M-u-l-t-i-p-l-a-y-e-r...
- Multiplayer? What's that? Did Oblivion have that?
- No I don't think... Sir! there's an whole other game in here!
- Aw shit!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pandoracell said:

Hey man, what's up with your ( I'm assuming D2D ) problem?

CyReN

Brink just updated on Amazon!

"This portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed."

zlatko

Banned
Launch trailer is awesome.

I'm super excited to dive into this game this week and then collect my thoughts in the review I'll be doing for the site I'm on. Will hook Gaf up with link for those who end up still being on the fence. ;) Impressions will probably be up here on Gaf for the first 2 days for those who are REALLY on the fence.

CyReN said:
Brink just updated on Amazon!

"This portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed."
Mine hasn't yet. I broke down and ordered a 360 copy from them yesterday. I need to be able to bring Brink over to my friends houses and show the game off to them and I just can't do that with my PC version. Need to send a friends request to the 360 Brink tag now..

Well....Gamefly just hipped Brink to me, this is the first time I actually successfully got a game on Launch day in my Que..........but I can't even play online. So bittersweet.

C'mon Sony.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Can't wait to play this on PC. I wonder how the controls will be laid out. I am curious if Brink will be like Crysis 2 where using the x360 controller is more intuitive for me than the keyboard.

DenogginizerOS said:
Can't wait to play this on PC. I wonder how the controls will be laid out. I am curious if Brink will be like Crysis 2 where using the x360 controller is more intuitive for me than the keyboard.
Brink doesn't "officially" support controllers on the PC version of Brink. You might be able to map the controls to the controller via the console, but it won't just be plug and play ala Crysis 2. The controls are fully customizable though on both PC and Console. Want to play the 360 version and have every button be "shoot"? I think you can do that....

derFeef

Darkshier said:
Brink doesn't "officially" support controllers on the PC version of Brink. You might be able to map the controls to the controller via the console, but it won't just be plug and play ala Crysis 2.
Hm? :)

http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/09/over-the-top-wedgwood-on-tech-teamplay-and-brinks-release/
“Sometimes, we would play with a 360 controller connected to PC. Other times we would play with mouse and keyboard, just depending on what we felt like. But we had this very definite vision from the beginning that we would be platform agnostic.”

Very interesting interview btw.

derFeef said:
From a few pages back....

Strider2K99 said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but has it been said if this game supports 360 controller on PC?
Officially, no. Unofficially, yes.

From the Splash Damage forums...

Brink's Associate Producer
We don't officially support any controllers on PC, so we aren't required to support the X360 controller either.

To which someone replies....

Thanks for the clarification. So if you support a Windows controller the GfW certification requires you also support X360 controllers?

If I read a little deeper can I also assume that mapping via the console (as in ETQW) is classed as "don't officially support"?

Brink's Associate Producer
Pretty much spot on.

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24240

So yeah, I don't know what that means other than no native controller support. I don't think you will just be able to plug and play. It seems you will have to map the controls via the console, but I really don't know.

Proven

upJTboogie said:
Well....Gamefly just hipped Brink to me, this is the first time I actually successfully got a game on Launch day in my Que..........but I can't even play online. So bittersweet.

C'mon Sony.
You made me check my email. Yep, Gamefly shipped. They shipped pretty early too, so there's a small chance I'll have tomorrow evening rather than waiting until Wednesday.

Sanic

Spookie said:
Ah, had a nightmare with then over Black Ops. Won't be using them again.

Yeah, i've heard of a few problems with them in the past, and they don't allow as much control over their servers, but they've been around for awhile and had preorders up so I went with them.

Also, D2D has cleared up my account problems! Brink purchased and downloading now!

dankir

So what's the verdict, bunch of friends of mine saying this is the next crack. I was always intrigued and they pretty much sold me on it.

What say you Gaf?

Nocebo said:
“While it’s very difficult for a traditional developer of single-player linear shooters to add multiplayer to their game, for us, it’s actually incredibly easy to add story to good multiplayer.”

Excuse me while I laugh my head off.

From the interview
“One of the big goals with Brink, in addition to the story, was to create autonomous AI that does think for itself, that makes decisions based on the same mission system that you use, whose shopping list for abilities, items, tools and gadgets is the same shopping list that you have. When you get access to big body types, they start turning up with big body types with huge mini-guns and everything else. They level with you alongside.
Then why did you give it AI from the Civil War? They do all those other things listed, I have seen that in the livestreams no doubt. But your AI can't fight for shit, nor can it use SMART or any tactics whatsoever.

dankir said:
So what's the verdict, bunch of friends of mine saying this is the next crack. I was always intrigued and they pretty much sold me on it.

What say you Gaf?
If you like class-based, objective focused online multiplayer, you should be all over this game.

FeD.nL

Just ordered it. PS3 version, hope psn will be up this week, but at least I can unlock stuff offline. I'm really intrigued by the SMART system and I can't see myself ever using the heavy body type just for that reason. The scout is my most played class in TF2 so light all the way for me.

Does anyone know if you can use shotguns while running light?

derFeef

Darkshier said:
From the interview
Then why did you give it AI from the Civil War? They do all those other things listed, I have seen that in the livestreams no doubt. But your AI can't fight for shit, nor can it use SMART or any tactics whatsoever.
Have we seen hard bots yet? I have not kept up-do-date with the streams that are up for 10 minutes and then get nuked from Zenimax orbital launch station.

zlatko

Banned
scorpscarx said:
I'm making my mind up tomorrow.

Whatever time it is where you are, add another 2 hours to that, and tomorrow that time I will be putting up some brutally honest impressions from my first 2 hours of playing. I will update every 3-5 hours after that.

I may try to record some quick footage too to let people see some cool ways to use SMART, especially in levels people have been touting as just one way cluster fuck funnels.

Top Bottom