• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Shurs

divisionbyzorro said:
I bet there were. And that's nothing like actually playing the game in the wild.

It gives a good approximation. I've participated in pre-release online review sessions (not for Brink), and it is pretty similar to playing the game after release. That said, multiplayer impressions, even post-release are always a mixed bag because of the emergent nature of playing against others.

Multiplayer games are dynamic, so each match is rarely like the match before it. Sure, patterns can form, but I guarantee you that my experience with Brink will be different from yours due to all of the variables involved.

Weenerz

Banned
Arlecchino said:
Friendly reminder: You may have to restart steam to be able to start decrypting/playing.

Thanks for the reminded, I changed my download location which prompted a restart of Steam, and it popped right up. I recommend people try Switzerland.

DustinC

Detox said:
Wait they didn't set up an event for journalists to at least play the multiplayer of this game? Wow Bethesda dropped the ball on this I mean that is like telling people to review Red Dead or Assassins Creed just by playing the multiplayer. They could have turned on the servers so people with review copies can actually play and it doesn't matter if a few guys that have the game early can also play.

They did set-up scheduled periods for three days last week. I was able to log in for one on Thursday and still never got a full group going. I've run into a couple devs and reviewers, but this game can't properly be evaluated until tomorrow rolls around. I won't bother turning in a review until Friday.

it would be awesome if D2D didn't screw me over with a broken CD key and i could actually play the game

I mean yeah, purchasing things that just flat out dont work is wonderful...

I better have a brand new code waiting for me by the time I get home from work tomorrow

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
IGN's terrible-written review is making me want to play it more.

demolitio

I kinda saw the IGN review coming and GT is usually pretty spot-on with what I usually think.

It's still ridiculous that there's such a huge gap still in this day and age of gaming journalism. I get it not being everyone's game, but some clearly put more time into the game to review it than others. Just like SOCOM 4 which had scores all over just for being more hardcore than most games out there.

Ugh...I'll wait to hear what you guys think.

Well there certainly doesn't seem to be any controller support on the PC. At least not any that I can find, which is disappointing to me. Creating a character and joining a match asap.

I'm not one to care about reviews.

I'm going to wait and see what the general consensus is from the members on GAF.

So anyone on GAF who has it already, we want impressions!!

wwm0nkey

Meh Im going to wait till I play it to judge still. Hell if I don't like it I will just play ET Quake Wars on the PC (console version is trash)

Ramirez

DevelopmentArrested said:
jeff not a fan

I watched it for a few minutes before turning it off. Why are journalists so bad at games?

I really don't think this is a game that I would trust to a reviewer, gonna wait on GAF opinions...

Lunchbox

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
You got it, buddy. I think there's a way to invite people though.
dead on arrival if true

having seconds doubts about picking it up now without a party system. what a fuck up. hurrr team based game hurrr, but no way to get in a game with your team derp derp

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
demolitio said:
I kinda saw the IGN review coming and GT is usually pretty spot-on with what I usually think.

It's still ridiculous that there's such a huge gap still in this day and age of gaming journalism. I get it not being everyone's game, but some clearly put more time into the game to review it than others. Just like SOCOM 4 which had scores all over just for being more hardcore than most games out there.

Ugh...I'll wait to hear what you guys think.

Divergent scores are a good thing. That means varied opinion. Group think is bad.

M.W.

Dr Eggman said:

The last few paragraphs:

Nonetheless, Brink is an exceptional team shooter, smart, supremely well balanced and with a unique, exciting art style. Splash Damage struggles to ease the player into its workings – evidence, perhaps, of the studio's background creating free mods for hardcore Quake players, who never needed much hand-holding.

But the clean menus and HUD have a slickness and simplicity of interaction that elevate the squad-shooter genre to a new level of style and polish. Likewise, in moment-to-moment play, this is often a more engaging, tighter experience than Valve's Team Fortress 2. For those who can leap that first hurdle, Brink should run and run.

Restarting. Will see if it also unlocked in France. Didn't even sleep. Smells like a red bull day!

EDIT : Decrypting \o/ (Can't wait for the grocery store to open. Need some fuel!)

wwm0nkey

Painraze said:
I think I'm returning my copy to Amazon.

How do returns work if you've already spent the pre-order bonus money?
so your going to return it just based on reviews without actually playing it?

Painraze said:
I think I'm returning my copy to Amazon.

How do returns work if you've already spent the pre-order bonus money?

I returned a game about 2 months ago that I already used the pre-order bonus money on for another pre-order. They let me keep the bonus money with no questions asked.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Marcellus Wallace said:
The last few paragraphs:
A comparison to Team Fortress 2 is enough for me. I hate Eurogamer but that's a good review. /fanboy

Top Bottom