• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

demolitio

Patrick Klepek said:
Divergent scores are a good thing. That means varied opinion. Group think is bad.
Yea, but when they're THAT far apart, there's a problem. Even if it isn't your type of game, you'd think a reviewer could tell if it was a good game in the genre or not. I agree, all the same score is a little annoying at times, but some of these sites just don't even try to play the game. Just like the asshole that reviewed S4 and gave it an abysmal score so he could get to playing the Gears 3 beta quicker, then there's a problem. A review is only as good as the time the reviewer puts in.

mjc

The no party lobbies really scares me. I can deal with the range of reviews but that just bugs the fuck out of me.

Edit: Nevermind, that stuff in the link sounds nice.

Lunchbox said:
dead on arrival if true

having seconds doubts about picking it up now without a party system. what a fuck up. hurrr team based game hurrr, but no way to get in a game with your team derp derp

Honestly, my knee-jerk reaction is to say the same. I know it seems kinda picky, but how can we be expected to play GAF matches if we can't party up? This is key, GAF. I need to know how you go about playing matches with friends. Can you even do it?

EDIT: Okay, so this:

Proven said:
Brink doesn't have a lobby system. The closest thing it has is this: http://forums.majorleaguegaming.com/topic/154949-brink/page__view__findpost__p__6807821

That doesn't seem too bad. It sounds a little more complex to set up than I'd like, but it sounds like you can actually party up together. Good to know.

This is one of the few times I can look at a GT review before playing it, since I don't have to give a damn about spoilers. Great news because I like the site.

Shurs

demolitio said:
Yea, but when they're THAT far apart, there's a problem. Even if it isn't your type of game, you'd think a reviewer could tell if it was a good game in the genre or not. I agree, all the same score is a little annoying at times, but some of these sites just don't even try to play the game. Just like the asshole that reviewed S4 and gave it an abysmal score so he could get to playing the Gears 3 beta quicker, then there's a problem. A review is only as good as the time the reviewer puts in.

Link?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
CriginsMcJuggs said:
I love "console players new to objective base teamplay." Love how they assume console players dont know how teams work lol
"So I shot 3 guys, where's my UAV?"

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, at least Ars had the guts, and the confidence in the viewership, to wait until the day-1 retail patch for review.

legbone

in regards to the quick look. pretty funny that jeff was complaining about how dumb the bots were at level 4 but they seemed to be owning him pretty well. he seems to not like the game much. of course he is playing with bots only. hope he puts plenty of time into the game online with all humans before reviewing. but i have faith in the giantbomb crew. at least they aren't like some sites which i'm sure are currently playing an hour so they can get their reviews up first.

sk3tch

CyReN said:
I'm thinking the same thing. Do we lose our credit?

Possibly...I would assume that you do to be safe.

I am hoping I can catch the UPS guy so I can just flat out refuse it and save the $$$ to ship it back.

To people saying "wow you won't play a game for yourself...you are relying on reviews" - well...the Ars "statement" was enough and bad reviews as well...it's too much to risk my $60. that's a lot of money to me so I have to be careful.

Lyphen said:
Well, at least Ars had the guts, and the confidence in the viewership, to wait until the day-1 retail patch for review.

word.

Teknoman

samus4ever said:
I don't know at the start, but I tried playing it a few months ago and had a total of 10 people online.

Guess its going to be like this for Brink as well. PC version probably the best out of the 3.

StuBurns

Banned
samus4ever said:
I don't know at the start, but I tried playing it a few months ago and had a total of 10 people online.
That's pretty surprising, I played thru Portal 1 on PS3 a couple of weeks back and decided to fire up TF2 while I was there, and despite it being abandoned by EA, I still got a full game instantly, I was surprised, I expect the 360 audience to still be there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
legbone said:
in regards to the quick look. pretty funny that jeff was complaining about how dumb the bots were at level 4 but they seemed to be owning him pretty well. he seems to not like the game much. of course he is playing with bots only. hope he puts plenty of time into the game online with all humans before reviewing. but i have faith in the giantbomb crew. at least they aren't like some sites which i'm sure are currently playing an hour so they can get their reviews up first.
He plays every multiplayer shooter like it's COD. Did you see the Gears 3 quick look? Where he kept just running into groups of dudes and getting smoked everytime.

Bah! Screw it. I’m going to be cancelling my pre-order. L.A Noire is in a week, so that’s a big fat plus.

I’m sad though, I was really looking forward to a unique multiplayer game, but this looks like a mess.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How can a dev be so clueless with some of their design decisions!! frustrating. No lobby? Seriously? SERIOUSLY????? fuck. Why is it so hard to find a good MP FPS these days.

M.W.

zoner said:
He plays every multiplayer shooter like it's COD. Did you see the Gears 3 quick look? Where he kept just running into groups of dudes and getting smoked everytime.

I think the GB team needs a dedicated FPS guy.

Sanic

g35twinturbo said:
I just got my copy, installing it now.

It can't be that bad can it?

From my 20 minutes with the game, it's not. BUT, it's not very polished in a lot of perhaps key areas. Not the kind of game you should expect to get even good reviews critically.

Ramirez

zoner said:

I remember when they had the Reach quick look, the guy was so clueless I just turned the sound off while I watched the footage, meh.

Einbroch

Banned
"That movie looks like it could be good. I liked the trailer!"

"Yeah, but the reviews are pretty bad. 36% on Rotten Tomatoes..."

"Oh, what did Peter Travers (Rolling Stone) say? I have the same taste as him."

"He said it was pretty bad...I mean some people say it's fresh but a lot say it's rotten."

"Meh, maybe I'll rent it when it's on DVD."

"CAN'T YOU THINK FOR YOURSELF?! MY GOD SPEND YOUR MONEY NAO!"

:p

It makes me sad to see all the bad reviews and see people abandoning ship before they even get the game. I've been excited for this for months, so I'm not backing down on my pre-order (I don't think I even can now, anyway) and am still psyched to play it. I'm not super competitive when I play so if there are minor polish issues or a bad design decision or two, I think I can live with it.

Ramirez said:
I remember when they had the Reach quick look, the guy was so clueless I just turned the sound off while I watched the footage, meh.

I've hated Jeff Gerstmann since the Dreamcast days; he never seems to know anything about what he's playing. Ever. GiantBomb largely follows his lead.

Nocebo

legbone said:
Maybe I'm weird but anyone judging the game on bot play is silly. I wouldn't like playing any online focused game with bots. I can't imagine playing TF2 with bots only it would be ridiculously boring. Even modern warfare 2's single player campaign bored be to tears even though it had a campaign specially crafted for single player.

Top Bottom