• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

demolitio

Shurs said:
http://www.destructoid.com/review-socom-4-u-s-navy-seals-198597.phtml

He was supposed to do another one after talking to Zipper and finding out about the stress testing on the servers but then he told everyone not to expect much better which eliminates the point. He admitted to barely playing the game online when it's a MP shooter for the most part as the SOCOM series has always been about and then went to review the Gears 3 beta. He said KZ3 had a bad story and dialogue as well but that still had a 10/10 along with Deadly Premonition which aren't bad games but surely aren't 10's. Even the S4 haters on the forum thought the whole thing was crazy. It's just annoying at how inconsistent reviewers are.

I'm all for different opinions in reviews and I know S4 isn't perfect nor is Brink, but it's proof that reviews for a lot of these games just aren't taken seriously by the reviewers so why should anyone else take them seriously?

SOCOM 4 and Brink are both games for the hardcore so it's hardly a surprise that some reviewers don't like it. You'd think they'd be better at playing shooters by now. :D

sk3tch

robut said:
Reviews are low for a team based mp shooter that has no real mp yet for reviewers to base off of? Pre-order canceled!

Good idea. Maybe you should wait and see that it really is solid in MP before wasting your hard-earned cash?

Everdred

Judging by the Quick Look, how are most reviews playing and rating this? Are they playing singleplayer and crying about campaign and stuff? Or are they going online and playing the way its meant to be played? GiantBomb joined a game with 1 other human player... Kind of hard to judge the game by that. I mean yeah you can see the main mechanics which most people are agreeing are balanced and fun.

I dunno, I feel like they are viewing this and treating it as a singleplayer game when this is meant to be online only, basically.

This reminds me of Shadowrun all over again. I love Shadowrun and I don't think most reviewers (and gamers for that matter) gave it a fair chance. They are very different games from the usual and they take a little bit to learn and get used to.

Genesis Knight said:
Way to think for yourself, you puppet. ;)

I get the whole "forming your own opinion" mindset when it comes to videogames, really I do.

But when nearly everyone says something is mediocre, it's usually true. I cant blame people for not wanting to throw down 60 bucks on a game that is getting poor reviews across the board.

commissar

legbone said:
in regards to the quick look. pretty funny that jeff was complaining about how dumb the bots were at level 4 but they seemed to be owning him pretty well. he seems to not like the game much. of course he is playing with bots only. hope he puts plenty of time into the game online with all humans before reviewing. but i have faith in the giantbomb crew. at least they aren't like some sites which i'm sure are currently playing an hour so they can get their reviews up first.
what a fucking muppet.

Salsa

Gun-Backfire-300x240.gif

Everything I feared about the game being bad is popping up on all reviews. I do hope the developers have a long post-release support plan or the game community will never take off, especially on the pc.

Bottom line is that reviewers don't fucking know what to do with the game, largely thanks to Bethesda's incompetent pitch of the game as having a robust SP campaign and story.

BannedEpisode said:
I get the whole "forming your own opinion" mindset when it comes to videogames, really I do.

But when nearly everyone says something is mediocre, it's usually true. I cant blame people for not wanting to throw down 60 bucks on a game that is getting poor reviews across the board.

Dude you're fine. I'm stuck with this now because a buddy got it and won't change his mind; I wanted to wait and not have it on preorder but c'est la vie.

BannedEpisode said:

GT and Eurogamer don't have bad reviews they have 8s, it's just Joystiq and IGN with the bad reviews.

Einbroch

Banned
I think it's interesting how people complain about how games have tacked-on multiplayer all the time but you rarely hear about people complain about tacked-on singleplayer.

I believe you need to really focus on both to be successful in this $60 world we live in.

CyReN

Amazon support on the credit issue.

Hi, I pre-ordered Brink and was wondering what happens if I return it sealed. How does amazon take back the pre order credit?
Selva:Hello, my name is Selva. I'll be happy to look into your issue.
Even if you return the item the pre order promotion will not be taken back.

I have no idea why anyone would cancel their preorder now, especially through Amazon. I mean, if I hate it, I'm out maybe like $10 dollars if I sell it back immediately?

Einbroch

Banned
CyReN said:
Amazon support on the credit issue.

Hi, I pre-ordered Brink and was wondering what happens if I return it sealed. How does amazon take back the pre order credit?
Selva:Hello, my name is Selva. I'll be happy to look into your issue.
Even if you return the item the pre order promotion will not be taken back.
The hell?! I'm preordering and returning every single game I can if that's the case.

cabottemp

Banned
PsychoSoldier said:
I have no idea why anyone would cancel their preorder now, especially through Amazon. I mean, if I hate it, I'm out maybe like $10 dollars if I sell it back immediately?

You're making zero sense.

Read the Ars Technica article, enough said.

I for one will continue to wait and see and probably get the pc game down the line, but this is pretty bad news overall unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I've put too much hype in this game to back out now. I'll post thoughts tomorrow.

all these reviews are disappointing, and the news that there is no lobby system is alarming, but I'm not going to make a real decision until we get some people on people matches with the day 1 patch applied.

thezerofire said:
all these reviews are disappointing, and the news that there is no lobby system is alarming, but I'm not going to make a real decision until we get some people on people matches with the day 1 patch applied.

With 'people' not being game reviewers who suck at games.

Choc

Banned
not saying eurogamer is biased and not wanting to be a dick but

Eurogamer is based in UK

splash damage is based in London

did they get to play it on site for review or with developers etc because of this?

kylej

Banned
Einbroch said:
The hell?! I'm preordering and returning every single game I can if that's the case.

And then Amazon will stop doing that and you'll cry like a baby at how mean they are.

I don't know what to make of the game not having a lobby system. What the fuck?

Peterthumpa

I don't know where all the hype for this game came from. Since the early previews it has been always an average shooter with nothing that really stood out. Gameplay videos were uninspiring and all it was obvious (as Jeff said) that the campaign would be a lot of maps chained together with bots coupled with a completely uninteresting narrative.

Bring on The Witcher 2.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
bluedeviltron said:
Homefront'd again. Always, always wait for reviews.

Good thing I didn't go Steam this time. I'll be returning my Amazon copy.

Homefront MP was pretty damn fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Uhhh...I read the ars thing and it mainly says they were low on copies because they only wanted 360 copies due to PSN's fuckup, and that they're waiting to see if the patch fixes the texture stuff like it's supposed to. Clearly this is doom and gloom all over.

Salsa

Genesis Knight said:
With 'people' not being game reviewers who suck at games.

Man why are you so mad, the game just didnt lived up to everyone's expectations. Just play it for yourself.

Definity

Can't remember being this disappointed in a long time with a game. The damn hype pulled me in and all of those nice GET SMART videos sure did look good...but it's not for me. Have no f'n idea why they didn't even have a lobby system.

cabot said:
You're making zero sense.

If you consider the cost, plus the credit, you really aren't out much if you sell the game back in the first few days.

I'd rather try a game out for a couple days and lose a few bucks on it than just cancel a game I'm interested in based on a few wildly divergent reviews.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SalsaShark said:
Man why are you so mad, the game just didnt lived up to everyone's expectations. Just play it for yourself.

He's one of the only people in this thread to have played it for a few hours already.

Definity said:
Can't remember being this disappointed in a long time with a game. The damn hype pulled me in and all of those nice GET SMART videos sure did look good...but it's not for me. Have no f'n idea why they didn't even have a lobby system.

Uhhh, you've played it extensively already?

SalsaShark said:

Check the threads, I've played the game already over the weekend. Have you? Also, I'm not 'so mad', I'm once again LOLing at how bad reviewers are at FPS games. It's not like it's one of the industry's biggest genres.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Genesis Knight said:
Bottom line is that reviewers don't fucking know what to do with the game, largely thanks to Bethesda's incompetent pitch of the game as having a robust SP campaign and story.

Dude you're fine. I'm stuck with this now because a buddy got it and won't change his mind; I wanted to wait and not have it on preorder but c'est la vie.

Only 8 maps isn't helping anything, no lobby, and shitty texture glitching.

There's no server lists in this game? No ping display? Am I blind? I'd honestly like to know how high my ping is because the two games I've tried to play in have been horrendously laggy, with the way other players and bots have been warping all over the place I'm going to go with 150-200. And it seems as though people are locally hosting the games because both times I've tried to complete the first chapter the session ends because the host disconnected. Am I playing a console game here?

Edit: Campaign seems to be random match making if you choose public and play with randoms. Freeplay looks like you can choose to connect to a specific server.

Shurs

Choc said:

Eurogamer is based in UK

did they get to play it on site for review or with developers etc because of this?

The reviewer, Simon Parkin, is a respectable sort.

Definity

Papercuts said:
He's one of the only people in this thread to have played it for a few hours already.

Uhhh, you've played it extensively already?
Yes, since Saturday and it was painful since my expectations on what the game was going to look and feel like were totally off. The hype got me this time.

Gravitom

Play a map and a half and really enjoy the gameplay but like all Splash Damage games their is a steep learning curve. Are there no filters for the server browser or am I stupid?

Einbroch

Banned
samus4ever said:
Yeah, but you have to pay shipping on the return. 5 bucks so is it worth it?
Preorder 6 games and return 6 games, get a game for $30 + $10 credit? Or twelve and get a game for free?

Sounds sweet to me! I won't do it, but that's nice of Amazon.

jaundicejuice said:
There's no server lists in this game? No ping display? Am I blind? I'd honestly like to know how high my ping is because the two games I've tried to play in have been horrendously laggy, with the way other players and bots have been warping all over the place I'm going to go with 150-200. And it seems as though people are locally hosting the games because both times I've tried to complete the first chapter the session ends because the host disconnected. Am I playing a console game here?
Damn no server lists either? what a shame.

george_us

wwm0nkey said:
so your going to return it just based on reviews without actually playing it?
Seeing how you can't return games once you've opened them, seems like a good idea to me. If he's that on the fence about it, he can just rent it.

Damn, I was hoping for a decent single player. Almost willing to buy it just for the games look, which I love, but I need to hold off given in the general reviews.

Zimbardo

so what's the trick to getting a good framerate?

i have 2 highly clocked GTX460 cards in sli and i'm probably getting 30fps.

should be getting a smooth 60.

either game is capped @ 30fps or its not using sli.

teepo

Zimbardo said:
so what's the trick to getting a good framerate?

i have 2 highly clocked GTX460 cards in sli and i'm probably getting 30fps.

should be getting a smooth 60.

either game is capped @ 30fps or its not using sli.

turn off ambient occlusions.

aegies

Choc said:

Eurogamer is based in UK

I like to call that the Molyneux Bump.

Our reviewer (IGN) played the game for about 25 hours, a lot of which was online, some of which was with me. The game is not good. If you want to buy it despite the reviews, more power to you.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Mediocre reviews doesn't usually mean it almost guarantees mediocrity. That's why each gamer has a category of underrated games. Reviews don't mean anything; you form your own opinion.

(._.)

Banned
Ok, so I am encountering a problem playing this. I can see everything except the actual game itself... I can see text and menus but everything else is just blue. I'm guessing this has to do with direct x?

Top Bottom