• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Proven

Ars Technica was well written.

Giant Bomb gave a fair assessment as well. It's a bit more complex than for the regular console crowd, and after playing online with many of the early Xbox players over the weekend, it's going to take a while for the game to really be fun.

Oh well. I'm glad I'm renting it.

Maybe the game will get better with patches. Maybe it will be really really fun with people that know how to play. But basically the single player isn't that fun, and the multiplayer isn't fun without people who know what they're doing. Those are things that we've seen ourselves over the weekend. They are more than fair to mark it down for that. This is the Day 1 assessment.

M.W.

The reviews are lower than I expected, but I'm still a go with this game. I have way too many LIVE friends picking it up to bail on them now. Plus, I like what I've seen from the streams I watched and the impressions I read this past weekend.

*shrugs*

SublimeO12

Neo Member
just came here to say... game seems in bad shape right now (PC). no lobby system, frame varying wildly, goes from 40's to teens, netcode questionable... wish I could get my money back on steam.

Zimbardo

teepo said:
turn off ambient occlusions.

i'll try that, but its super lame that i have to dial down detail on a game that doesn't look all that impressive ...especially when using SLI.

kind of ridiculous.

gillty

Banned
If you have an ATI card be sure to downland 11.5a which was released today.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344093

Includes performance optimizations and resolves various quality issues for the upcoming release of Brink™
Resolves transcoding video lagging issues seen when converting multiple H.264 clips to MPEG2 Blu-ray video
Resolves the intermittent mouse cursor lag issue seen by some users
Resolves intermittent flickering issues seen in the following applications in a system using an AMD Radeon™ HD 6600 series graphics card with DDR3 memory and running in DirectX® 9 mode:
-Civilization 5
-Dead Rising 2
-Fallout 3
-Mafia 2
-NBA 2010
-ShenGuiChuanQi
-Starcraft 2
-Warcraft III
-World of Warcraft

Game runs like a champ maxed at 60+ FPS, 4.5Ghz 2500K, Radeon 5830, 1680x1050.

Listened to 1/3 of the GB quicklook and Jeff keeps raging at the bots. Like that'll matter to 9/10 of the people playing it. I'd rate Gears of War mp low if it were based on bot play.

Also, looks like at the start of matches you can pick sides like in TF2. Looks like that's your lobby system.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dr Eggman said:
Mediocre reviews doesn't usually mean it almost guarantees mediocrity. That's why each gamer has a category of underrated games. Reviews don't mean anything; you form your own opinion.

Except what the game was sold to be is a bit of a "lie."

The amount of free running in the game is really not as much as they built it up to be (judging from streams). Also, the combat mechanics seem shit to me, graphics are glitchy, only 8 maps, no lobby, no SP, etc.

It's just not worth 60 dollars to "see" if the reviews were wrong. Those are all valid complaints from reviews.

I'll send it back to amazon and be happy knowing I'll get a better game later and maybe pick this up in the bargain bin.

FLEABttn

Banned
Still getting it, will see if it's terrible or not. Leery of FPS reviews these days, cause the high rating console FPS's certainly aren't scratching the itch I have right now. Homefront would have if it wasn't for hard crashing my PS3 every 20 min.

Someone go get Ivan Sulic from 2002/2003 to review this game. I want to know what he says about it.

Sanic

PC performance is a bit flakey. GTX 460 with a quad core gets me fluctuating framerates, and the game really doesn't look all that great.

The amount of free running in the game is really not as much as they built it up to be (judging from streams)

Only the light body type really gets into that sort of stuff, and none of the Streams really showed that as far as i'm aware.

legbone

damn, i'm disappointed that so many are canceling their preorders. i'm afraid that the community for this game may end up to small to enjoy. i am still getting it. i don't give a shit what the reviewers say. i haven't listened to reviews in years. MAG caught shit from most places and it is my favorite mp experience this generation (i have over 100 hours logged). i am disappointed with the no party or lobby system though. oh well. maybe they will patch it in. problem is, if not enough folks pick it up they will not support it with patches and dlc in the long run. oh well. i'm picking it up on ps3 and hoping for the best. hopefully word of mouth will lead to the community growing over time.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
aegies said:
I like to call that the Molyneux Bump.

Our reviewer (IGN) played the game for about 25 hours, a lot of which was online, some of which was with me. The game is not good. If you want to buy it despite the reviews, more power to you.

Flat out bad, or just not your kind of game?

(._.)

Banned
Pandoracell said:
PC performance is a bit flakey. GTX 460 with a quad core gets me fluctuating framerates, and the game really doesn't look all that great.
I'm just getting a blue screen with menus...

d0c_zaius

seems like this topic is fueled by PC rage right now.

I'm kind of surprised that people still expect "pure" PC focused development for Multiplat, big name titles (especially FPS).

I'm installing the game right now...hope it at least delivers some fresh mechanics and perspective.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pandoracell said:
ATI cards are reportedly unplayable even with the hotfix.

Valru said:
If you have an ATI card be sure to downland 11.5a which was released today.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344093

Game runs like a champ maxed at 60+ FPS, 4.5Ghz 2500K, Radeon 5830, 1680x1050.

several ATI users are still having issues. Myself included

Einbroch

Banned
legbone said:
damn, i'm disappointed that so many are canceling their preorders. i'm afraid that the community for this game may end up to small to enjoy. i am still getting it. i don't give a shit what the reviewers say. i haven't listened to reviews in years. MAG caught shit from most places and it is my favorite mp experience this generation (i have over 100 hours logged). i am disappointed with the no party or lobby system though. oh well. maybe they will patch it in. problem is, if not enough folks pick it up they will not support it with patches and dlc in the long run. oh well. i'm picking it up on ps3 and hoping for the best. hopefully word of mouth will lead to the community growing over time.
Yikes. If anything, the PS3 following is going to be a tenth the size of the other two.

Alienshogun said:
Except what the game was sold to be is a bit of a "lie."

The amount of free running in the game is really not as much as they built it up to be (judging from streams). Also, the combat mechanics seem shit to me, graphics are glitchy, only 8 maps, no lobby, no SP, etc.

It's just not worth 60 dollars to "see" if the reviews were wrong. Those are all valid complaints from reviews.

I'll send it back to amazon and be happy knowing I'll get a better game later and maybe pick this up in the bargain bin.

Yeah. I bit the bullet on Homefront despite the reviews. I don't think I'm willing to do this again.

(._.)

Banned
wow, I actually buy a game for once I haven't really been following but gave a chance because it looked sorta fun.....

last impulse purchase ever. blue screen with menus, lmao. AM I still able to get a refund through D2D?

Sanic

Game reminds me a lot of Wolfenstein 2009 in a few ways, and that's both good and bad to me, but probably bad to most people.

Proven said:
Ars Technica was well written.

Giant Bomb gave a fair assessment as well. It's a bit more complex than for the regular console crowd, and after playing online with many of the early Xbox players over the weekend, it's going to take a while for the game to really be fun.

Oh well. I'm glad I'm renting it.

Maybe the game will get better with patches. Maybe it will be really really fun with people that know how to play. But basically the single player isn't that fun, and the multiplayer isn't fun without people who know what they're doing. Those are things that we've seen ourselves over the weekend. They are more than fair to mark it down for that. This is the Day 1 assessment.

Thats how shadowrun was, it took a while to weed out the normal halo players to people that wanted to play the game right. I can see it happening with this its going to take a few weeks for the cod tdm boys to get bored of it and go back to cod.

If the 360 version can keep a community then I'll probably be happy. What do you guys think the odds are of that?

@PsychoSoldier - they were unbalanced in Wolf:ET and that was great fun. I'm guessing the obj. are just a bit too 'old school' for some of these guys.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Pandoracell said:

Only the light body type really gets into that sort of stuff, and none of the Streams really showed that as far as i'm aware.

I've seen plenty from ones who had it unlocked. GT actually brings up the lack of places to use it was well.

ameratsu

I beat mission 1 and 2 on hard (highest difficulty available at the start) on solo play. I agree that the bots are stupid. I mean they sometimes make good decisions, but medics will seriously run into a firefight trying to give you revive syringes and get mowed down. I admire their dedication but come on lol.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
supermackem said:
Thats how shadowrun was, it took a while to weed out the normal halo players to people that wanted to play the game right. I can see it happening with this its going to take a few weeks for the cod tdm boys to get bored of it and go back to cod.

That's pretty much a given. I didn't enjoy Bad Company 2 on the 360 until about two or three weeks after release.

Genesis Knight said:
If the 360 version can keep a community then I'll probably be happy. What do you guys think the odds are of that?

If they can fix it up asap, then I'd say fairly high. People still play Shadowrun.

Shurs

Genesis Knight said:

I'm sure there will always be enough people to fill a match.

I bought Riddick on PS3 over a year after it came out and there were still people playing Pitch Black matches.

Ryn

I'm having some serious issues with in-game multi. My entire screen is tinted blue and it's really hard to see. I've updated drivers, restarted my computer, messed with graphics settings. Nothing. Seriously wtf.

aegies said:
I like to call that the Molyneux Bump.

Our reviewer (IGN) played the game for about 25 hours, a lot of which was online, some of which was with me. The game is not good. If you want to buy it despite the reviews, more power to you.

Was this all on 360 though? Any PC time?

And holy hell at that performance... this game is going to kill my comp.

Kholdstare

Just tried my first campaign level and even though I'm having a blast learning how to do everything I'm hit this very weird problem halfway through the level.

Whenever I get past a certain point in the level I get this blue tint over the entire screen and it makes it impossible to see any enemy that I'm not on top of.

(._.)

Banned
20281D89894E63AEE8B6BAA21D31910698522FC4

Ramirez

Lunchbox said:
without a lobby system?

good luck finding a game in 2 weeks

Wasn't the post on the MLG forums pretty much a ghetto party system, all of you join up in a warm up match, and then join a real one from there? Or did I miss the point of that completely?

FLEABttn

Banned
Lunchbox said:
without a lobby system?

good luck finding a game in 2 weeks

MoH doesn't have a lobby and had a healthy enough community 4 months after it came out to where I could find full matches 95% of the time.

Lobby's can be nice when done right but certainly not required.

Kholdstare

Ryn said:
I'm having some serious issues with in-game multi. My entire screen is tinted blue and it's really hard to see. I've updated drivers, restarted my computer, messed with graphics settings. Nothing. Seriously wtf.

Oh hai fellow 1PM poster. We're having the same issue.

Top Bottom