• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

(._.)

Banned
I'm absolutely livid atm. I'm constantly bashing these in between games and fickle day one purchases. Decide to do it for once and I get an unplayable mess.... never again. should have waited to get this for $10 in 3 months.

Lunchbox

Banned
Ramirez said:
Wasn't the post on the MLG forums pretty much a ghetto party system, all of you join up in a warm up match, and then join a real one from there? Or did I miss the point of that completely?
that looked like more of a, set up a custom game, stack your team, make it public and hope people join

Teknoman

Whats up with everything being super jaggy even though I have anti-aliasing on? Using a Radeon after installing the hotfix if that matters.

FatalT

Banned
I got the PC version for free from the Bethesda Insiders site because I work at Best Buy so I don't really care. It'll be worth the price I paid for it no matter what! :D

(._.)

Banned
Chanser said:
At least the D2D discount has softened the blow of average reviews. :x
That discount and the fact several people were actually getting this game on my friends list. I honestly wouldn't be angry if I could play the game. From what I see it doesn't seem all that bad. Game breaking glitches are worse than optimization that can be patched in at a later time.

I was never interested in this game, but my friend has been hyping this game for months. He's even buying me and 3 other of his friends a copy of the game. I'm playing it only because it was free. I'm spending my money on LA Noi*gets mediocre reviews as well*

Teknoman

Teknopathetic said:
Dear splash damage: Locking framerate wasn't cool in Quake Wars, it's not cool now.

Yeah whats with the game looking like its locked at 30, even though Vsync is off, and the creation menus are all smooth 60 (or look that way).

aegies

Tomat said:
Flat out bad, or just not your kind of game?

I try to cultivate my ability to make that distinction. I don't think it does anything well, and I'm one of the more shooter-inclined people in the office. And I think it has some of the same issues as QW, but more pronounced, and it's less ambitious.

Teknoman

(._.) said:
That discount and the fact several people were actually getting this game on my friends list. I honestly wouldn't be angry if I could play the game. From what I see it doesn't seem all that bad. Game breaking glitches are worse than optimization that can be patched in at a later time.

Do you have a Radeon? Maybe thats what the hotfix was for?

Shurs

Teknopathetic said:
Dear splash damage: Locking framerate wasn't cool in Quake Wars, it's not cool now.

If we were on opposing teams and you were playing at 60fps and I was playing at 30, would you have an advantage?

M.W.

jhawk6 said:

This doesn't sound good:

And then there're the serious lag problems. Because all games are hosted on servers, including the campaign missions, lag is an issue even in campaign missions. Get more than three people in a game and the lag problems get totally horrible. We're not talking occasional stuttering here; we're talking trying to play Counter-Strike on a dialup connection circa 2001.

(._.)

Banned
Teknoman said:
Do you have a Radeon? Maybe thats what the hotfix was for?
No, I don't.

People shouldn't have to sit around and wait for a patch or root around doing all sorts of shit for 30 minutes in order to play a game. especially at launch when many paid full price.

"If we were on opposing teams and you were playing at 60fps and I was playing at 30, would you have an advantage?"

Yes, upgrade your computer or turn down your settings.

"What is it locked at? Please don't say 30."

This definitely seems like the case.

d0c_zaius said:
seems like this topic is fueled by PC rage right now.

I'm kind of surprised that people still expect "pure" PC focused development for Multiplat, big name titles (especially FPS).

I'm installing the game right now...hope it at least delivers some fresh mechanics and perspective.

We don't get angry at games upon release, when there is a sign from the developer that issues will get fixed. But there are some worrying signs about this game already.

No single-player? That's fine, if you want a multi-player game only game, but don't misled customers into thinking is has the next revolution in single player. Also don't expect people to pay $60 or $50 for a multi-player game.

Also, what in the hell makes this game as demanding as it is when the graphics are not better than other games which look significantly better i.e. Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, etc.

As I mentioned before, the only thing that can save this game on the pc is frequent updates in the first few months to fix all the issues, and free post-release content ala Team Fortress 2, Killing Floor.

aegies

Shurs said:
Calling into question the character of Simon Parkin because he's British and likes Brink seems like a pretty shitty thing to do.

I wasn't attacking Simon Parkin. It was in response to a generalization from another poster. I don't know Simon, but I appreciate that he can write (even if my eyelids nearly rolled off the back of my skull when he said Brink was more engaging than TF2). He expresses his opinion with conviction. And I, of all people, won't shit on someone for having a different opinion.

M.W.

Genesis Knight said:
Supposedly patched day one, as are the loading issues they were talking about.

I sincerely hope so. I sold Homefront within a week because it was nearly unplayable due to lag. BTW, why are so many game releasing that aren't finished? Day one patches all over the place!

(._.)

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
Is that blue screen really what the menu screen looks like???

UGH
Yeah, lmao. Even in game just the menu text is all that shows.

I guess I'm gonna get off now. Will mess around with this some more tomorrow. Really hope I can actually play the game tomorrow.

EDIT: It's a glitch fyi. it looks like that for me.

Third attempt on the first Resistance campaign went a little better. I seemed to have a fairly decent connection and the host didn't disconnect so I was able to actually finish it.

Teknopathetic said:

They locked the framerate? I thought the game was just badly optomised and was running slow/poorly on my machine.

Shurs

aegies said:
I wasn't attacking Simon Parkin. It was in response to a generalization from another poster. I don't know Simon, but I appreciate that he can write (even if my eyelids nearly rolled off the back of my skull when he said Brink was more engaging than TF2). He expresses his opinion with conviction. And I, of all people, won't shit on someone for having a different opinion.

Cool.

TheExodu5

Banned
Locked 30fps? What the fuck is this garbage.

jaundicejuice said:
They locked the framerate? I thought the game was just badly optomised and was running slow/poorly on my machine.

I thought I was just having SLI microstutters. Ugh.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
aegies said:
I try to cultivate my ability to make that distinction. I don't think it does anything well, and I'm one of the more shooter-inclined people in the office. And I think it has some of the same issues as QW, but more pronounced, and it's less ambitious.

Never played QW so I can't really comment on that.

It's a shame, I'm disappointed to hear how things are going so far with Brink. I'd like to see it come together in the end through patches, or see some other studio give a similar game a shot (Mainly for the SMART system).

StuBurns

Banned
upJTboogie said:
I wish these reviews would at least wait til the day one patch.
I don't see why it's unfair to review the product people actually buy. Their job is to advise people of a game in time for it to affect your buying decision, if they have to wait for today to start reviewing they couldn't do that.

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

What? It's certainly not locked, just performs horribly for me. Super janky 12-60 fps in multiplayer, with most options turned off. I'd LIKE to turn the post-processing off, but I can't because it seems to automatically turn back on when you join a game.

It seems interesting, and I like the music, but animations are so janky combined with the framerate and the way the players move, it's really eh so far.

Graphics are pretty ugly, I'm not a fan of the coloring in at least some of the areas, and I have no idea why the performance is so bad.

The sound...it's quiet, and then if you take any hits it immediately goes super quiet. That of course makes it really hard to tell if you're still being shot, and from where. I think it would be less jarring if there was any sort of fade, but it's literally like a loud/soft toggle, so you go deaf if anyone hits you.

FatalT

Banned
Honestly this is like Shadowrun all over again. Typical FPS plebians will skip over it leaving the hardcore audience to suffer through patches until it reaches perfect gaming bliss. Suits me!

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
What? It's certainly not locked, just performs horribly for me. Super janky 12-60 fps in multiplayer, with most options turned off. I'd LIKE to turn the post-processing off, but I can't because it seems to automatically turn back on when you join a game.

It seems interesting, and I like the music, but animations are so janky combined with the framerate and the way the players move, it's really eh so far.

Graphics are pretty ugly, I'm not a fan of the coloring in at least some of the areas, and I have no idea why the performance is so bad.

The sound...it's quiet, and then if you take any hits it immediately goes super quiet. That of course makes it really hard to tell if you're still being shot, and from where. I think it would be less jarring if there was any sort of fade, but it's literally like a loud/soft toggle, so you go deaf if anyone hits you.

Strange...is the PC version supposed to receive a day one patch too? Cant really see we're getting bad performance since this is just an improved version of the DOOM 3 engine right?

EDIT: After restarting, the game did the "installing direct X" setup, so maybe thats what was going on...

Zimbardo

TheExodu5 said:

lol, that'd be some serious microstutter.

its definitely locked @ 30fps. no matter what detail, no matter what resolution, i get the same frames per second ...and it sure looks and feels like 30.

Proven

Almost all of the low reviews and negative impressions state that the game has potential, but it's a bit of a mess right now.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
StuBurns said:
I don't see why it's unfair to review the product people actually buy. Their job is to advise people of a game in time for it to affect your buying decision, if they have to wait for today to start reviewing they couldn't do that.

Uh, don't you think they should wait to review a multiplayer centric game...when they can actually play it against other humans? lol

Top Bottom