• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Okay, so, about the gameplay!

Any advice from Brink GAF yet on the effect of various combat abilities? I already have my upgrade path spec'd out, but that will (obviously) fluctuate based on what I learn from others in the community and my personal experiences.

Lo_Fi

Anybody else been having problems with weapon unlocks? I have 2 different characters, and on one of my characters, I can't equip some of my unlocked weapons. I can't tell if it's a bug, or just bad UI.

Shoogoo

Tomat said:
That's a bit harsh man, this game shouldn't have shipped as early as it did, you cannot deny that.

I don't, it's true they fucked up on that. And I hate that kind of speech "don't worry we got a day one patch because yeah the game wasn't finished"

Almost(I hope) all those technical problems can be fixed with patches. We just need to be patient.

Throwing the game in the bin because of this is some weird way of being a gamer. If the mechanics, gameplay, artstyle, ... appeals to you, there are really no reason not to wait a little.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
SneakyStephan said:
Is there a command to change the narrow fov?
g_FOV NNN
We have reports it buggy whilst sprinting if higher than its default. Investigating

SneakyStephan said:
Any confirmation on fps cap and how to remove it?
No cap

SneakyStephan said:
The TAA/ghosting thing was a joke right?
I guess you don't like motion blur?
r_useMotionBlur 0

SneakyStephan said:
Doom 3 engine
Is not remotely like the Doom 3 engine...

Kholdstare

My god does it feel good to play as the light body type in this game. Was about to go to bed when I unlocked it, decided to give it another go with my light operative. Wall jumping all over the place, sliding at the legs of my enemies to knock them over, sprinting behind enemy lines to attach sticky bombs to the back of my enemies. It's all really fun. I feel like I can finally make use of the smart system and really feel it's effects.

Now all I need to do is fix my blue problem (which will have to wait till tomorrow since I'm bushed).

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Kholdstare said:
Now all I need to do is fix my blue problem (which will have to wait till tomorrow since I'm bushed).
We also have reports that turning motion blur off via r_useMotionBlur 0 might fix the blue problems so people are getting.

Nocebo

What's the word on the level 1 Sentry turret? I seem to recall someone saying it barely tickles the bots. But can it be effective when used strategically?
Kholdstare said:
My god does it feel good to play as the light body type in this game. Was about to go to bed when I unlocked it, decided to give it another go with my light operative. Wall jumping all over the place, sliding at the legs of my enemies to knock them over, sprinting behind enemy lines to attach sticky bombs to the back of my enemies. It's all really fun. I feel like I can finally make use of the smart system and really feel it's effects.

Glad to hear light body operative is fun to play as that is the configuration I plan on playing mainly eventually.

Enjoying the game so far, gotta say the sound is amazing. I switched to the shotgun and a revolver and I jump every time I start firing. Talk about boomy.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Okay if you have performance problems on PC even with a mighty GPU, please make sure AO (Ambient Occlusion) is off (its off by default but you can turn it on, in the menu).

This is not meant to be available to switch on at the moment due to massive performance issues (we have IHV working with us to get if fixed), we meant to ship with it unable to select but somehow slipped through the cracks. Internally (and why we wanted it not selectable at the momnet) we saw a GTX580 drop from 110FPS to 35FPS :O

So AO off and see if that helps your performance.

Teknoman

I wonder whats with AO causing huge performance drops in modern games these days? Even FFXIV (yeah yeah) get drops when enabling it.

not a fan of the shotgun in this game but Good God the sound on it is amazing. It almost makes me want to keep using it. It's a loud boom and I swear I hear a lion's roar or something.

g_FOV xxx

That doesn't tell me anything. Is there a console command I'm supposed to open? Is there a text file I'm screwing with instead of having the bloody option in the game anyway? This shit really grinds my gears.

Shoogoo

Discotheque said:
not a fan of the shotgun in this game but Good God the sound on it is amazing. It almost makes me want to keep using it. It's a loud boom and I swear I hear a lion's roar or something.

Why?

sinky72

Well, after naming this as one of my most anticipated games of the year, I cancelled my pre order just a few days ago (before reviews were out).

I don't think it's anything to do with the game itself. I've been thinking a bit over last few days and I think it boils down to the fact that i'm already burnt out with FPS's and although this was hopefully going to be an exception, I really haven't got the enthusiasm to play it and I guess i'm just not a team based player.
I'm genuinely sad to hear about the game not doing well in reviews as the main guy on the game seemed very enthusiastic about it. I really thought it was going to be great.

I'll keep an eye on how things are and I may well end up picking it up but for now, my pre order is cancelled.

Teknoman

BloodySinner said:
That doesn't tell me anything. Is there a console command I'm supposed to open? Is there a text file I'm screwing with instead of having the bloody option in the game anyway? This shit really grinds my gears.

Clunky how?

Oh and turning off AO boosted the fps to 120+ in the menu. 30-40 fps in a match, but for some reason the game keeps turning off soft particles and high quality post processing once I get into an actual match/challenge map.

Shoogoo

Discotheque said:
I suck with it. If I have an assault rifle or smg I can waste like a giant group of 4 people around the corner if I'm careful.

with the shotty I'm lucky if I take down 1 in time.

Are there people doing ok with it or do you feel it's just too weak?

I love me some shotties

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Teknoman said:
I wonder whats with AO causing huge performance drops in modern games these days? Even FFXIV (yeah yeah) get drops when enabling it.

I agree, ironically it's one of least noticable visual options imo.

Teknoman

sinky72 said:
Well, after naming this as one of my most anticipated games of the year, I cancelled my pre order just a few days ago (before reviews were out).

I don't think it's anything to do with the game itself. I've been thinking a bit over last few days and I think it boils down to the fact that i'm already burnt out with FPS's and although this was hopefully going to be an exception, I really haven't got the enthusiasm to play it and I guess i'm just not a team based player.
I'm genuinely sad to hear about the game not doing well in reviews as the main guy on the game seemed very enthusiastic about it. I really thought it was going to be great.

I'll keep an eye on how things are and I may well end up picking it up but for now, my pre order is cancelled.

If you arent a team based player, I wouldnt really grab it. Sure, you can lone wolf some of the objectives sometimes ( I guess go operative?) but for the most part, you depend on team buffs, etc.

EDIT: I guess the patch should disable that setting in the options for everyone :p

Kholdstare

DeanoCalver said:
We also have reports that turning motion blur off via r_useMotionBlur 0 might fix the blue problems so people are getting.

Tried it and no luck. I don't really mind all that much personally. Going to go pick up my 360 copy later on today so I'll be playing that while I wait for this all to be sorted out. :)

Discotheque said:
I suck with it. If I have an assault rifle or smg I can waste like a giant group of 4 people around the corner if I'm careful.

with the shotty I'm lucky if I take down 1 in time.

I like sliding into the legs of an opponent to knock them down and finishing them off with a shotgun blast to the gut.

BloodySinner said:

Teknopathetic was saying ctrl+alt+~ opens the console.

What FOV setting is everyone running?

Kholdstare

Shoogoo said:
Are there people doing ok with it or do you feel it's just too weak?

I love me some shotties

The shotgun is good stuff if you can get close to an enemy. I know that sounds obvious but it can take people out pretty damn fast.

Container City is probably my favourite map in the game thus far. Real hard fight for Security, I've seen it almost beaten but time almost always inevitably runs out, good fight though. Played the game for nearly five hours straight now and have just unlocked the light body type. Since it's two int he morning, think I'll callit a night.

54-46!

BloodySinner said:
I don't have the game but if Brink is like any other id Tech 4 game it's probably §, if not ctrl + shift + §.

Zimbardo

godhandiscen said:
The game seems fun, but I just can't put up with this performance. Also, I am experiencing some horrible lag to the point that my character movement doesn't feel smooth. This is sad to say the least because I want to enjoy this game, but I just can't in its current state.

my character feels weird when running in multiplayer. almost like a herky jerky motion, but being slightly pulled back at the same time. hard to explain.

performance isn't right anyway. i have a quad core @ 3.8ghz, 8gig ram, and highly clocked gtx460 cards in SLI, and the performance isn't what it should be.

crysis 2 maxed out in 1080p = water smooth frames

brink maxed out in 1080p = framerate all over the place. jerky movment, like lag or something. just fucked.

needs a patch. hope to see it today actually, but i don't bet on that happening.

and yeah, the game does seem fun. makes the performance issues all the more annoying.

The M.O.B

Up all the way to level 10 now.

- Got in some great lagless matches with 16 people no bots
- Once you pick light class you can't go back, I am so used to speeding out there now and setting up my turrets quickly.
- The ability that lets you look around doesn't work when repairing the tank :/
- Nobody is voice chatting :/

Here are my two guys :D

And to top the night off it completely crashed when I was editing my character hahaha

Game is awesome though.

Prodigal

Banned
Is it ever a good idea to restart Steam's decryption process? Been stuck at 91% for about 10 minutes...still hoping I'll be able to get a few rounds in before work.

Nocebo

JonCha said:
So what's the view so far on this? Was out last night/this morning, so haven't had chance to check.
It seems like it's buggy as fuck.
However people who generally enjoy team play based shooters seem to like it while people with expectations warped by hype hate it.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ugh this has left a bad sour taste. I haven't enjoyed a game with other players the whole night. It would continuously lag out and my xbox froze up "waiting for host". I left some text messages to my friends to warn them about these issues before they pick it up and tell them to wait to see if things will improve

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Zimbardo said:
my character feels weird when running in multiplayer. almost like a herky jerky motion, but being slightly pulled back at the same time. hard to explain.

THIS!!!

I get this in over half the servers I join.

bigswords

SteveO409 said:
Ugh this has left a bad sour taste. I haven't enjoyed a game with other players the whole night. It would continuously lag out and my xbox froze up "waiting for host". I left some text messages to my friends to warn them about these issues before they pick it up and tell them to wait to see if things will improve

Is this after the update? :(

soultron said:
Not to act as an apologist or someone who's grown lax in my standards, but with the way the industry has gotten lately, who in their right mind expects a MP-focused game to have a smooth launch these days?

Maybe I'm playing the wrong games, but this happens a lot.
well, it's excusable with games like halo or killzone, at least those have a proper SP
but if you go MP only, i expect the MP to work from day 1
do a beta or something, i don't care
i pay good money, i expect to be able to play

Alright, Amazon has mine out for deliver. I am excite, even in the face of these reviews! I get off work today at 2, 360GAF better keep a seat open for me, and it better be the comfy one! :D

derFeef

There is a command for the sprint FOV

pm_sprintfov ###

so set it the same as g_FOV ###

edit: it seems to be a network var though, SD forums say it will get fixed in a patch.

Top Bottom